The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Fuji X10

Re: Fun with X10

Nice shots, Uwe. I drove from Dallas to Austin today to pick up an X10 from Precision Camera.. they had 16 left after I bought mine. Charging batteries now and reading the manual.. will try it out tomorrow and see if it will work for me. First impressions are positive.

ustein

Contributing Editor
Re: Fun with X10

Jim,

very interested what you get out of the X10. Like your style of photography a lot.

Terry

Re: Fuji X10

Hi folks, I merged the thread running in Small Sensor Forum and Fuji Forums. Lodged it all in the Fuji forum.

Sorry if a few things look out of order.

Terry

Sunset, over the Sutro Baths. That brings back memories – as a kid I swam in that salt-water pool.

It looks like the shadows need more of a boost. Of course that can be done in Lightroom.
I gave them a little boost but I'm working with a smallish jpeg there. I want to see what I can do when I can get my hands on a preferred RAW converter.

Terry

It seems the EXR capabilities are available even when not in the EXR switched mode - I found this blog very useful (thank you Serious Compacts)

http://kimletkeman.blogspot.com/2009/10/fuji-f70exr-how-to-shoot-it-mkii.html

Keith
I have C2 set up as a medium jpeg, DR 400, RAW+jpeg
When shooting this way you get a smaller jpeg + a raw that is the same size as a full sized shot but with the reduced pixel dimensions. I took some shots side by side with this setting and EXR dynamic range. I will compare them when I get RAW supports.

I did find it interesting that you can still do a bracketed exposure with EXR selected.

A

Allan Ostling

I gave them a little boost but I'm working with a smallish jpeg there. I want to see what I can do when I can get my hands on a preferred RAW converter.
Yes, I forgot that in EXR mode you are dealing with only 6 megapixels.

Another mode which I've not seen examples of is Pro Low-Light, selected by turning the mode dial to Adv. From the manual:

Each time the shutter button is pressed, the camera makes four exposures an combines them into a single photograph. Use to reduce noise and blur whn photographing poorly lit subject or static subjects at high zoom rates.

raist3d

@Uwe/Terry -

I think what the X10 really has going for it is that at these picture sizes, the shots look chock full of detail and having that "DSLR presence" that a good lens will give you matched to a reasonable sensor.

On the highlights blown- yes Terry, EXR 400% should take care of that. Those modes should be excellent for dealing with that and it is *the point* of the EXR sensor. I personally don't care it's 6 megapixels, that's enough for an 8x10 print or anything you want to do on the web.

I also think this is probably one of if not the very best JPEG engine Fuji has ever done in any of its cameras (and I am including here the S3/S5 Pro DSLR's though those had the benefit of having an SLR SR class sensor).

- Ricardo

Diane B

i agree Ricardo. I'm following this thread because of that.

@Uwe/Terry -

I think what the X10 really has going for it is that at these picture sizes, the shots look chock full of detail and having that "DSLR presence" that a good lens will give you matched to a reasonable sensor.

sensor).

- Ricardo

Bob

Administrator
Staff member

Decided to start seeing what the EXR modes can do....nothing like starting with a torture test.

Nothing like the baths in the evening though I like the view from lower
-bob

Terry

Nothing like the baths in the evening though I like the view from lower
-bob
Yeah I thought about going down lower yesterday but there were so many people that they would have been more prominent in the photos and the sunset wasn't looking all the promising with very little in the way of clouds to bounce around some pretty light. Looking forward to the rougher higher winter tides that seem to merge the view of the baths and ocean a little bit more.

jonoslack

I'm trying to remember what you have 😊😊😊. Did I understand you have sworn off and sold all your small cams??
HI Diane
No - the Nex 5N is smaller than anything except the Pentax Q :ROTFL:
But yes - I've got rid of all my small sensor cameras, nothing less than APS/c. It's not that there's anything wrong with them . . just that I didn't use them!

Terry

All kidding aside, the tonality and 3D feel to the picture is cool. You really feel like you can reach out and touch it.

ustein

Contributing Editor
Actually the Phone is hanging outdoors in the air as shown. The background is a house wall.