The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Fuji X10

The X10 OVF...

The problem with the OVF in the X10 is that it is just a telescoping OVF. It's good that that it zooms when you zoom the lens but there are no frame lines to accurately show what will be captured.. what you see is not quite what you get.. the parallax, when shooting subjects close to the camera, is an issue.

I really hoped the OVF in the X10 would work for me but I do find myself using the LCD 99% of the time. I only use the OVF when the sunlight washes out the LCD.... that said, it's a lot better than any other OVF I have seen on a compact camera.. the OVF on my G9 was a total joke.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
So do you find yourself actually using the OVF? I have such horrible memories from the G9/G11 OVF, it shouldn't be hard to make a better OVF but the lithmus test is if it's actually preferred over the display in at least some situations.
Using it in bright sunlight predominantly as well as when I am not doing macro shots. Would say it comes down to some 50/50 usage, would have hoped I would use the IVF at least 80%.

Contrary, with my Nikon V1, I use the EVF maybe 80% all of the time.

But the IQ of the X10 is stunning, so hard to not like this camera because just of the OVF.

I would have liked an X10 better with a much better OVF and maybe a price tag $200 higher. Would have made me a pretty 98% happy camper :cool:

retow

Using it in bright sunlight predominantly as well as when I am not doing macro shots. Would say it comes down to some 50/50 usage, would have hoped I would use the IVF at least 80%.

But the IQ of the X10 is stunning, so hard to not like this camera because just of the OVF.

I would have liked an X10 better with a much better OVF and maybe a price tag $200 higher. Would have made me a pretty 98% happy camper :cool:
How would you compare the IQ between X10 and V1. I'm wondering whether the J1 would not be the ultimate jacket pocket size point and shoot rather than the X10, especially when the OVF is of such limited benefit.

Lars

Yeah what I see people here do with their X10 here is quite persuasive, OVF or not. The X10 sure attracts talented photographers, and seems to be up to the task with the exception for the specular highlight issue.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
How would you compare the IQ between X10 and V1. I'm wondering whether the J1 would not be the ultimate jacket pocket size point and shoot rather than the X10, especially when the OVF is of such limited benefit.
Still not able to say, because need more work with the X10. But overall I would say that the V1 is pretty much the same WRT IQ. The V1 and lenses are a pretty impressive system.

PenSon

Testing the new camera in EXR mode today in difficult lightning (flat) and the camera did a very nice work i think.

Trygve

anfrve

Hello,

here is some samples, the quality of the X-10 files are really good!

I have to set up it at his best, the color one is cropped and worked a little in LR3 the BW are made with Silver Efex Pro 2

PS. i transformed the RAF. in Dng with Adobe DNG Converter DNG for me is better than RAF.

These are made handheld with DR 400 that allow better dinamic range
(according to the setups linked and showed in DP Review):

Last edited:
Here's a few I took with the X10 last night at the midway of the Fort Worth Stock Show & Rodeo. I always go and shoot the Miday and the game stalls while the rodeo is going on as it is a ghost town during that time.

These were all shot as JPGs.. didn't bother with any EXR settings at all.

Brian Mosley

Hello,

here is some samples, the quality of the X-10 files are really good!

I have to set up it at his best, the color one is cropped and worked a little in LR3 the BW are made with Silver Efex Pro 2

PS. i transformed the RAF. in Dng with Adobe DNG Converter DNG for me is better than RAF.

These are made handheld with DR 400 that allow better dinamic range
(according to the setups linked and showed in DP Review):

Wow, these are terrific - well done. :thumbs:

Thanks for sharing

Brian

pjmsj21

I have also jumped on the X10 bandwagon and am anxiously awaiting its delivery on Thursday. I am interested in getting back into photography after a few decades of absence (kids). But now that we are empty nesters I am looking for creative ways to spend my time and I am pretty comfortable that the X10 will assist me. I have to say that reading all of the alarming forum posts on dpr about the orb issue, I almost purchased a G12 which I am sure is a fine camera. However after spending the last few hours appreciating all of the beautiful photos posted by the forum members, I am quite confident that the camera wont be the limiting factor of my photos. Thanks for sharing.

Pat Mc

Maggie O

Gorgeous stuff, guys!

The OVF could be better, but I'm adjusting to it and when I'm in really bright sunlight, it's a lifesaver.

Here's the latest run of pix, night shots almost all in EXR mode, all JPEGs from the camera, as Aperture doesn't recognize the RAW files yet.

Byetta, Faebruary 01, 2012 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

Amelia's Laser Nose, January 30, 2012 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

Berch at The Oven, February 01, 2012 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

Pipes, January 31, 2012 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

Cork, February 01, 2012 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

Cottonwood, January 31, 2012 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

Amelia Plays Laser Tag, January 30, 2012 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

Valve, February 01, 2012 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

MCB, February 01, 2012 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr