The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What do camera makers owe us when they get it wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Godfrey

Ok, this discussion is again verging too closely to the edge of name calling and brand disparagement for my tastes. I'll unsubscribe again in a moment.

The Fuji X10 seems a great performing little camera. It has some small flaws, whether I keep it or not depends more on what I feel is important for me than on what it's . But I certainly don't feel that Fuji owes me anything if I find its small flaws are enough of a deterrent to its use that I no longer want to use it. If I keep it, it performs well enough that I don't care what its flaws are.

I'd rather applaud Fuji for making such a nice small camera at such a reasonable price than take them to task for the couple of minor issues I see.

fotografz

So you were not saying one company has to accept the "standards" of another?
Semantics aren't the issue, flawed cameras are.

The standards are "reasonable expectations" for decent performance. Those expectations on the part of consumers aren't some closely guarded secret. They have been in place for decades. Magenta black and blobs on the photos aren't anywhere in that set of reasonable standards on the part of most any photographer, not just ultra critical pixel peepers.

Neither was it reasonable to expect the mirror to fall out of your 5D, or a $6,000 sports camera not be able to focus accurately, or the sensor to crack in the early M9s and S2s. However, I don't lump all flaws into one heap. The mirror and cracked sensor were production issues. What we do not know is what pressures led to a change in fundamental make up of components that are in millions of other cameras without the same flaws.

There are quite a few of us here that can afford these disappointments, shrug it off and move on. There are a lot of people who can't.

My assistant isn't rich, has a growing family and lives modestly. Buying a 5D was a huge decision for her, one she sacrificed and saved for. Second family portrait shoot she did the mirror fell out and jammed the camera. When I read about all the kind and magnanimous benefit of the doubt shown camera makers here ... I think of her ... not some folks that have a new camera every twenty seconds ... (including myself ;))

Marc

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
This thread has drifted way off constructive dialog.
I am closing it so folks can reset unwind and unload.*

-bob

* for those who remember the IBM 2400 LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.