Site Sponsors
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: new Fuji X Pro1 camera

Post Thanks / Like

Re: new Fuji X Pro1 camera (formerly called "new camera")

It's all very well focusing a Noctilux wide open at 10ft, but try do off center compositions at 5ft and it's a different story. I'm a die hard rangefinder fan but I'd say at f1.0 and nearing close range, some other kind of tool is in order. Pity Leica can't or haven't yet implemented an innovative way to combat these problems al la the X-Pro 1 / X100's hybrid viewfinder. Imagine if they could make one AND retain the traditional optical view and focusing patch we're used to? Now there would be a kick *** camera!

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Absolutely Robert - I agree with everything. and +10001 on the focus confirmation with the little green light.

There is only one thing which doesn't mislead, and that's the focus patch on an M rangefinder - focusing with a Noctilux at 10ft wide open is easy - can you imagine an AF system trying to deal with that?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    Fuji knows how to make lenses.
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

Post Thanks / Like

Impressive indeed... but still overpriced in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Also, the 18mm doesn't seem to fare as well - http://dslr-check.info/2012/0225.jpg

-Thomas

Post Thanks / Like

I must say I am getting frustrated the more I look into the Fuji samples.

Seems to be a lot of hype in their advertisements. But if this is the result you get from all these groundbreaking ideas then it is clearly not for me!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    I must say I am getting frustrated the more I look into the Fuji samples.

Seems to be a lot of hype in their advertisements. But if this is the result you get from all these groundbreaking ideas then it is clearly not for me!
    Frustrated? Why? This time Fuji seems to have clearly missed the boat... okay perhaps clear to some only :P

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tjv View Post
    It's all very well focusing a Noctilux wide open at 10ft, but try do off center compositions at 5ft and it's a different story. I'm a die hard rangefinder fan but I'd say at f1.0 and nearing close range, some other kind of tool is in order. Pity Leica can't or haven't yet implemented an innovative way to combat these problems al la the X-Pro 1 / X100's hybrid viewfinder. Imagine if they could make one AND retain the traditional optical view and focusing patch we're used to? Now there would be a kick *** camera!
    Well, I often do use the noctilux with off centre compositions - very often - it's about practice and experience.

But I completely fail to see why the hybrid viewfinder in the X-pro1 or X100 would be of the faintest use - the information given as to what's in focus is sketchy to say the least - usually a green square which encompasses a whole face . . . how to focus on an eye? Of course, you can zoom in on the EVF, but for the sort of fast images one want's a rangefinder for, that's inconceivable.

Of course, Fuji could have incorporated focus peaking in the EVF, and that would certainly help . . but they haven't. (they say it isn't necessary?)

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

more photo sample from a japan website.

FUJIFILM X-Pro1 - fWJWatch

Post Thanks / Like

After experiencing focus peaking, I'm not sure I can get super excited about the X Pro-1 unless the AF on that camera is up to modern snuff. The X100's AF was a huge disappointment. The 3 thing that keeps me watching the Fuji are the optical viewfinder, image quality, and of course, the stylish look. I've been looking at the Contax G lenses for my NEX-7 and can't but help see the similarities between the XP1 and the Contax G system.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by sflxn View Post
    After experiencing focus peaking, I'm not sure I can get super excited about the X Pro-1 unless the AF on that camera is up to modern snuff. The X100's AF was a huge disappointment. The 3 thing that keeps me watching the Fuji are the optical viewfinder, image quality, and of course, the stylish look. I've been looking at the Contax G lenses for my NEX-7 and can't but help see the similarities between the XP1 and the Contax G system.
    Right with you there - the indications is that the AF on the x pro-1 will be worse than the X100 rather than better.
    I'd have thought that NEX with Contax G lenses was really a much better bet. . . . but then, that's just me!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Right with you there - the indications is that the AF on the x pro-1 will be worse than the X100 rather than better.
    I'd have thought that NEX with Contax G lenses was really a much better bet. . . . but then, that's just me!
    Hmmmm. Interesting, because my reading is that the AF is better than the X100. I suppose we'll have to wait a bit for more reports from photographers, and ideally a bit of personal hands-on.

Personally, I don't really care if the AF is as fast and competent as other cameras. It has to be fast enough for my purposes, and of course is just one consideration amongst all the usual trade-offs.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't seen any reports saying it isn't as good as the x100 AF, either. I'll file my own report in a couple of days

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I haven't seen any reports saying it isn't as good as the x100 AF, either. I'll file my own report in a couple of days
    Thanks - look forward to it.

Post Thanks / Like

If neither AF nor MF implementation are among best in class, the XPro1 is not for me. This is what I expect in 2012 from probably the most expensive aps-c sensor based system camera.
    Last edited by retow; 28th February 2012 at 16:59.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by retow View Post
    If neither AF nor MF implementation are among best in class, the XPro1 is not for me. This is what I expect in 2012 from probably the most expensive aps-c sensor based sensor camera.
    In terms of price it's certainly not the most expensive with that sensor size. The 7D (an older camera) is about the same and the Nikon D300 was the same when it came out.

Anyway, if it doesn't meet your needs I am glad there is choice - same for me. I'm not interested in best in class AF - just best for me class.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pelao View Post
    Personally, I don't really care if the AF is as fast and competent as other cameras. It has to be fast enough for my purposes, and of course is just one consideration amongst all the usual trade-offs.
    I would agree. I only need fast enough, but the X100 has taught me to be very cautious about Fuji. After they said that AF was not what the XP1 was about, I took that as a very lax view of the need to have good AF. After some reports, including production cameras, that the AF was disappointing, I am in wait and see mode. I still have the X100 and love it, but I would only use it for specific purposes. I'll probably keep it for the cool novelty of it being the smallest camera I have with leaf shutter and would use it for strobist type photos. The problem is I think Fuji is still TOO focused on image quality and may be ignoring usability. There are too many contradicting reports on the AF. Many of them keep lingering around low light AF. I need to know whether it can focus in good light before worrying about low light. The startup time of the X100 has caused me to lose to many shots. The AF of the X100 is worst than any Canon DSLR (5D M1 and below) I have ever used by a factor of 10, not only slowness but accuracy. Canon's AF was why I switched to Nikon. Imagine my surprise when the X100 was even worst than Canon. If it can focus at least as fast as the NEX-7, I will probably get one.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I would agree. I only need fast enough, but the X100 has taught me to be very cautious about Fuji. After they said that AF was not what the XP1 was about, I took that as a very lax view of the need to have good AF. After some reports, including production cameras, that the AF was disappointing, I am in wait and see mode. I still have the X100 and love it, but I would only use it for specific purposes. I'll probably keep it for the cool novelty of it being the smallest camera I have with leaf shutter and would use it for strobist type photos. The problem is I think Fuji is still TOO focused on image quality and may be ignoring usability. There are too many contradicting reports on the AF. Many of them keep lingering around low light AF. I need to know whether it can focus in good light before worrying about low light. The startup time of the X100 has caused me to lose to many shots. The AF of the X100 is worst than any Canon DSLR (5D M1 and below) I have ever used by a factor of 10, not only slowness but accuracy. Canon's AF was why I switched to Nikon. Imagine my surprise when the X100 was even worst than Canon. If it can focus at least as fast as the NEX-7, I will probably get one.
    I'm pretty much in the same boat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Vinberg View Post
    Fuji knows how to make lenses.
    I'll second that. I have my X100 and a H4D-40. Fuji's expertise in lens and body production and great ergonomics shines here
    My images on 500px : http://500px.com/ghoonk
    H4D-40 | Xpan | Leica M9P | Leica M Monochrom | X100 | Hasselblad 500CM | 501CM | 503CXi

Post Thanks / Like

In terms of price it's certainly not the most expensive with that sensor size. The 7D (an older camera) is about the same and the Nikon D300 was the same when it came out.

Anyway, if it doesn't meet your needs I am glad there is choice - same for me. I'm not interested in best in class AF - just best for me class.
    1. Who said best in class? I didn't.
    2. We seem to shop at different places, a 7D is priced quite a bit lower than the new Fuji.
    3. It's 2012 and an expensive pro level system camera which requires solutions to work around focusing deficiencies is not good enough. Eventually it's not a small niche product such as the quirky Sigma DP or lovely Leica X1 or first generation EP1.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

If neither AF nor MF implementation are among best in class, the XPro1 is not for me.
    I'm curious, who else is in the class?

Post Thanks / Like

Just returned my X10 as I could not get friend with its controls and operation. Pretty sure the same holds true for the XPro1 as well.

Fuji should not try to reinvent proven structures - so I am out of this - at least for now.
    Last edited by ptomsu; 28th February 2012 at 10:10.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

If neither AF nor MF implementation are among best in class, the XPro1 is not for me.

?

Post Thanks / Like

"Best in class" or "AMONG best in class" ain't the same.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Still curious who is among the class.

Post Thanks / Like

One theory I have about the contradicting reports on the AF is that the bad reviews probably was with the 60mm macro lens. The reviewer probably considered it a portrait lens and didn't realize that macro lenses are slow to focus in general. I am hoping this is the culprit of all the contradictions. Fast focus reports with 18mm and 35mm. Slow focus reports with the 60mm.

Heh, but look at me. I already have an awesome NEX-7 and just craving the XP1 for the stylish looks and high ISO. I'll probably just stick to my NEX. Loving it so far.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

2. We seem to shop at different places, a 7D is priced quite a bit lower than the new Fuji.
    3. It's 2012 and an expensive pro level system camera which requires solutions to work around focusing deficiencies is not good enough. Eventually it's not a small niche product such as the quirky Sigma DP or lovely Leica X1 or first generation EP1.
    With the 'best in class' thing I was referencing my own needs and views. i don't need the AF to be as fast as some of the other cameras available. I would say though, that I hope it's accurate and reliable.

Price
    Yes, you can get the 7D for less than the new Fuji, but the 7D isn't far off, and as I noted, it's been around a while. The Fuji is no more expensive than the 7D at the same point in it's life cycle. I suppose the real question is value.

I certainly agree that for a camera that positions itself as at least semi-pro, it shouldn't be necessary to develop focusing work-arounds. Sure, there are always trade-offs, but the thing should work to the satisfaction of some segment of the market.

The next few weeks will be interesting, as reports come in from experienced photographers.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I would agree. I only need fast enough, but the X100 has taught me to be very cautious about Fuji.

snip

Canon's AF was why I switched to Nikon. Imagine my surprise when the X100 was even worst than Canon. If it can focus at least as fast as the NEX-7, I will probably get one.
    I'm pretty much in the same boat.
    Well, I had two problems with the X100
    1. the AF was awful
    2. the MF was impossible

I just sold my NEX-7, basically, because the AF was really slow compared to a dSLR.

I understand why contrast detect focus is slower . . but panasonic and Olympus seem to be able to make it useable in cheap and cheerful bodies.

to buy a camera for more than the price of a 7D, with poor autofocus and unusable manual focus is kind of a confection - how ever good the IQ might be.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I had two problems with the X100
    1. the AF was awful
    2. the MF was impossible

I just sold my NEX-7, basically, because the AF was really slow compared to a dSLR.

I understand why contrast detect focus is slower . . but panasonic and Olympus seem to be able to make it useable in cheap and cheerful bodies.

to buy a camera for more than the price of a 7D, with poor autofocus and unusable manual focus is kind of a confection - how ever good the IQ might be.
    Wow, you really sold your NEX 7 already? I've only had a week to use mine. So far, the AF is fine. It takes a fraction of a second delay before autofocusing, but the focusing has been dead on for me so far. I hope it continues that way. I would really hate to go back to a DSLR for travel.

About those m43 cameras, yeah, not for me. They need a better sensor. I wouldn't believe any of the false lies that Olympus markets until it's been proven by users. Every camera they release is accompanied by the best ever of something, which turns out to be false.

I still have hopes for Fuji even as I doubt them right now. Really, we must all live with compromise with these mirrorless till Canon and Nikon get serious and get in the high end mirrorless game. I think those two are the only ones who can really do it right and give us no compromise systems, but I'm sure fans of the underdogs will continue to hate on quality coming from the dominant two.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

OK, time to start a 'Fun with the X-Pro1 thread.'
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Some initial findings here

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Enjoy Robert - I hope it's a roaring success.
    Like Your Dog :-)

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I pity the photographer with a new camera and no pet.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jono

I'm a strict adherent to the 'no cats used in test photos with new equipment'

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Congratulations Robert, I'm sure it will be a winner for you. Can't wait to read more impressions and see more images!

Thanks for sharing

Brian

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Jono

I'm a strict adherent to the 'no cats used in test photos with new equipment'
    I wish I could claim to be innocent of this terrible crime, but I fear that I can't.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Robert, many thanks for posting those initial images and looking forward very much to further insightful analysis from you, I really appreciate it. John.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

OK, time to start a 'Fun with the X-Pro1 thread.'
    Do that! Hopefully, with images this camera is intended for.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Do that! Hopefully, with images this camera is intended for.
    You mean pictures of cats and dogs?

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nope! Hard core street.

Post Thanks / Like

Pussycats, bow wows, please, anything other than impressions...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

both of you make me giggle

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

as an FYI, Sean Reid just came out with his first review of the camera... starting it now, but i really should be making dinner...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cam View Post
    as an FYI, Sean Reid just came out with his first review of the camera... starting it now, but i really should be making dinner...
    Ha! I got to read it over breakfast.

Looks promising.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Ha! I got to read it over breakfast.

Looks promising.
    rub it in, California girl, rub it in!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Nope! Hard core street.
    Vivek, if you want hard core, an 18mm on this camera would be great...prefocus, aperture priority...unbeatable for street, IMHO.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cam View Post
    rub it in, California girl, rub it in!
    Hi Girls (California and Gent).

I'm too mean to buy a subscription - so I can't read it at all! Still, I'm not going to buy a camera with one slopey shoulder and one straight one.
    How can they have designed something as beautiful as the X100 . . . . and then lost the plot so badly with the design of this one (very strange).

Vivek, if you want hard core, an 18mm on this camera would be great...prefocus, aperture priority...unbeatable for street, IMHO.
    People will stop you and say Wow, what's that camera? . . it's really ugly

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

I just read his review and from what I have read so far I will be holding off buying. Hopefully Fuji can fix some things in a firmware update. Anyway at least until a dealer has them in stock and I can try one I will hold off.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

People will stop you and say Wow, what's that camera? . . it's really ugly
    I have heard of a street photographer here shooting with the "Texas Leica".

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think the 35/1.4 would suit me well.

(I will probably add the 18 a bit later.)