Site Sponsors
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: new Fuji X Pro1 camera

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: new Fuji X Pro1 camera (formerly called "new camera")

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    There are several synergistic events that together have helped create this Leica bubble, but who knows how long it will last. Maybe one day Leica will get their production house in order, and build to the demand. Or, the other factors will fade...at that point Leica lenses will go back to depreciating, like all the other brands do. It wasn't all that long ago that Leica lenses were sitting on dealer shelves...
    That was before Leica caught up with digital.

BTW, I never lost very much money on a M lenses even when I shot film Ms.

Leica is refining their Brand positioning, and how and where they will sell product in future ... so I wouldn't hold my breath regarding supply and new pricing supporting the return to deprecation of used lenses.

All the best,

-Marc
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Not planning to hold my breath. Leica should refine their production if they refine anything. They are looking at opening US Leica stores, along the lines of Apple stores. Why? So they can show people what they don't have available for sale???

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not planning to hold my breath. Leica should refine their production if they refine anything. They are looking at opening US Leica stores, along the lines of Apple stores. Why? So they can show people what they don't have available for sale???
    So, think that through ... first off, the Leica stores are not just in the US, they are Global. Guess who will get product? China? Russia? Saudi Arabia? As the bank robber Willy Sutton quipped when asked why he robs banks, It's where the money is".

Economics 101 for Luxury brands. Exclusivity, limited supply, high-end demand. Don't have to agree with it, but that the way it is. Basically, as I see it from what they are doing, Leica no longer sees any other camera company as their competition ... other Luxury expenditures are the competition.

If they really are like Apple stores, then it seems like a decent idea. From what I've seen, they are a heck of a lot more upscale than any Apple store I've been in.

You seem to be getting personally wrapped up in this competitive fight over some little crop frame 15 meg camera ... it's just a camera ... one that people have questions about, and may be skeptical about until more is known ... until then the questions and challenges will most likely keep coming.

-Marc

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Not really wrapped up in anything, other than sharing information. There are two disparate discussions here...

As far as Leica goes, I'm not saying it's a bad idea to market in that manner. I'm saying perhaps they should get their production house in order first. I'm sure their dealer network will not be pleased at all, if only the corporate stores actually get product...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not really wrapped up in anything, other than sharing information. There are two disparate discussions here...

As far as Leica goes, I'm not saying it's a bad idea to market in that manner. I'm saying perhaps they should get their production house in order first. I'm sure their dealer network will not be pleased at all, if only the corporate stores actually get product...
    Really? Seems any mention of Leica grew out of some defense of the Fuji ... as usual.

I still contend, and have already said, let the Fuji camera rise on its own merits, and skip the inferiority complex like discourse.

BTW, you are ill informed, again ... the Leica stores are NOT corporate stores ... they are independently owned and operated high-end franchise outlets ... either stand alone, or boutiques with-in high-end retail stores. Any current Leica dealer can participate if they can step-up to the new higher-end standards Leica has leveraged for the Brand's franchise.

-Marc

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I know what the current program is, I've been in those meetings. But thanks anyway.

The information I have is corporate owned stores. Perhaps it will happen, perhaps not.

Whether it does or not: Leica should get their production house in order. I don't know anyone who disagrees with this. Why would any dealer step up with these programs if Leica won't guarantee product? And they won't...they've told me that directly.

The discussion of Leica was strictly based on Terry's first comment regarding cost and your reply about depreciation (or appreciation as the case may be.) Then it went on further, with my mention of the many factors behind the current Leica bubble.

At no point was there a 'defense of the Fuji' with regards to Leica, as the Leica conversation was strictly about market, not technical aspects.

Time to get back on topic here.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I know what the current program is, I've been in those meetings. But thanks anyway.

The information I have is corporate owned stores. Perhaps it will happen, perhaps not.

Whether it does or not: Leica should get their production house in order. I don't know anyone who disagrees with this. Why would any dealer step up with these programs if Leica won't guarantee product? And they won't...they've told me that directly.

The discussion of Leica was strictly based on Terry's first comment regarding cost and your reply about depreciation (or appreciation as the case may be.) Then it went on further, with my mention of the many factors behind the current Leica bubble.

At no point was there a 'defense of the Fuji' with regards to Leica, as the Leica conversation was strictly about market, not technical aspects.

Time to get back on topic here.
    Okay, seems you haven't been reading what people have been writing regarding technical and IQ comparisons to Leica ... but if you say so.

The information that the Leica stores are wholly Corporate owned is not correct or misunderstood ... but again if you say so. I have the full marketing presentation that, as a consultant in marketing and advertising (my profession), I'm evaluating for an authorized Leica dealer as a possible investment. It is a franchise, not wholly owned company stores.

Back on topic ...

Nice camera, but I agree with Jono ... it's not a NEX7 nor a Leica M in terms of either EVF or OVF ... okay for some, not with others. It's a crop frame with lens factors ... okay for some, not with others. It apparently has neither stellar AF nor breakthrough manual focus (like focus peaking) ... okay for some, not for others. IQ as demonstrated so far is okay, but not earth shattering or unobtainable by an array of other choices including some smaller DSLRs with more resolution at less cost ... okay for some, not with others.

The point of threads like these isn't a sales platform for marketers, it's for photographers to thrash out all of the aspects that determine ... "Okay for some, not for me".

-Marc

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Definitely dreamy! The kind of photo that cares not about pixels, resolution, AA filters, autofocus, or what glass produced it. Examples of the 35 and 60 look similarly dreamy although they all have a point of focus.

I really like both those images. Many cameras can take similar ones, I don't think an X-Pro1 is necessary to produce something similar.
    In your opinion, not everyone's. Personally, I think you have crossed swords with the wrong photographer

Keith's portfolio is stellar, and while they may or may not have been possible with something else (which is just speculative rhetoric), they were produced with what he uses, and that isn't speculative at all is it?

Nothing shown so far using the Fuji even approaches this work ... IMO. Whether it can, is speculative ... so maybe a Fuji dealer should loan him a camera to find out

-Marc

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    BTW, I thank you for posting the samples. First images you posted here if I am not mistaken!
    Hmm - Vivek - I think you should click on Keith's link - the images are fantastic - really excellent.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hmm - Vivek - I think you should click on Keith's link - the images are fantastic - really excellent.
    I have seen Keith's work several years ago, even before this forum started. Yes, he is talented.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Okay, seems you haven't been reading what people have been writing regarding technical and IQ comparisons to Leica ... but if you say so.
    Yes, I've read the thread; I was referring specifically to my comments which have not been about technical comparisons to Leica.

The information that the Leica stores are wholly Corporate owned is not correct or misunderstood ... but again if you say so. I have the full marketing presentation that, as a consultant in marketing and advertising (my profession), I'm evaluating for an authorized Leica dealer as a possible investment. It is a franchise, not wholly owned company stores.
    Excellent. My point, AGAIN: Leica has to get their production house in order *regardless.* I've been involved in a similar capacity with two dealers who rejected such an investment specifically because they have no guarantee that Leica will reward them with sufficient shipments to pay off such an investment.

Nice camera, but I agree with Jono ... it's not a NEX7 nor a Leica M in terms of either EVF or OVF ... okay for some, not with others. It's a crop frame with lens factors ... okay for some, not with others. It apparently has neither stellar AF nor breakthrough manual focus (like focus peaking) ... okay for some, not for others. IQ as demonstrated so far is okay, but not earth shattering or unobtainable by an array of other choices including some smaller DSLRs with more resolution at less cost ... okay for some, not with others.
    It will be interesting to see technical comparisons with those cheaper crop DSLRs. Considering that early indications show that the sensor is, in many tests, at least the equal of, and outperforms full frame cameras costing more; some, much more.

The point of threads like these isn't a sales platform for marketers, it's for photographers to thrash out all of the aspects that determine ... "Okay for some, not for me".
    Yes. That is exactly what has been happening in this thread, with a bit of a diversion.

In your opinion, not everyone's. Personally, I think you have crossed swords with the wrong photographer
    Crossed swords in what way? I complimented his work. Are you saying that only one camera can produce those types of images? Of so, which one would that be?

In my experience, talent is irrespective of gear. I see absolutely nothing in that first image that couldn't be done with any number of cameras, and indeed the second as well...but this takes nothing away from his talent, does it?

Nothing shown so far using the Fuji even approaches this work ... IMO.
    Yes! In your opinion. Not everyone's. But we aren't really comparing photographers in this thread. Absolutely, Fuji should send him a camera and see what he can do with it!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, as a result of this "diversion", we learn, once again, that Leica stuff is boutique. :sleep006:

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

More fodder. Feel free to ignore as usual.

Fujifilm X-Pro1 Mirrorless Camera Review

Fujifilm X-Pro1 Verdict
    The Fujifilm X-Pro1 is a fantastic camera, in every area it produces the results expected from a premium quality camera. The image quality is stunning, with excellent, and I really mean excellent pixel level detail, with excellent colour reproduction, great dynamic range, excellent high ISO noise results and excellent JPEG output straight from the camera. The lenses are excellent with great handling from the all-metal construction and the bright apertures help render beautiful bokeh. Handling of the camera is very good and although the camera is larger than most other mirrorless cameras, the solid metal construction, premium feel and numerous external controls with the hybrid optical / electronic viewfinder make it well worth the added weight.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

More fodder. Feel free to ignore as usual.

Fujifilm X-Pro1 Mirrorless Camera Review

Fujifilm X-Pro1 Verdict
    The Fujifilm X-Pro1 is a fantastic camera, in every area it produces the results expected from a premium quality camera. The image quality is stunning, with excellent, and I really mean excellent pixel level detail, with excellent colour reproduction, great dynamic range, excellent high ISO noise results and excellent JPEG output straight from the camera. The lenses are excellent with great handling from the all-metal construction and the bright apertures help render beautiful bokeh. Handling of the camera is very good and although the camera is larger than most other mirrorless cameras, the solid metal construction, premium feel and numerous external controls with the hybrid optical / electronic viewfinder make it well worth the added weight.
    Thanks for the link.

Sure a lot of "excellent" comments in that review.

Sorry, but hard to believe that the sample photos meet the criteria of "excellent" in almost anyone's book ...

The mug shot of the girl is a terrible photo, and her hair is flat and mushy ... the same mug shot from the NEX 7 looks better.

The pano shot of the estate looks like it was shot with a cell phone.

The macro shot of the watch is ... uh, to be kind ... not so good.

Not one shot in that review shows a sense of pictorial depth or richness.

High ISO static shots of the Xrite seem to promise decent performance in that area.

Surely this camera is capable of better images than this review seems to suggest?

Get this camera into a damned good photographer's hands ... quick!

I volunteer Jono (only because Irakly's in Moscow working right now) ...

-Marc

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Luckily the review is not regarding the artistic quality of images

Jono??

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well . . I'm very flattered - and I don't see much wrong with the IQ myself, although I have to admit I find it really difficult to glean much from this sort of web image.

However, I do have a problem with the camera . . at least, of course, I haven't tried the X Pro1 . . but I had a real problem with the X100, and the principle is clearly the same.

My personal feeling is that the camera is very much to the M9 what the Contax G2 was to the M7. . . more innovative, advanced, forward thinking, excellent and sensibly priced lenses, beautifully made (I was going to say attractive, but I still have a problem with that slopey bit) . . . but seriously missing the point. For me the point is . . . well, the points are:

the rangefinder patch (i.e believable manual focusing)
    seeing outside the image
    having a fixed view
    really really knowing what's in focus

Perhaps it's just me - certainly, if you're going to shoot street, then, on the whole the camera is likely to focus on the person you're pointing it at, and with face detection it'll do even better. But I often want focus on a small point with something contrasty behind it, and my experience of CDAF focusing is that it's really bad at that - and that the focus point is much larger than it appears. The Contax G2 AF was pretty bad as well . . . and you never really knew what it was focusing on . . the situation doesn't seem to me to have changed that much.

I think the point I'm trying to make is that the Fuji is so clever and all, the lenses seem lovely and sensibly priced, but my impression is that unless you are willing to put up with imprecise AF (even if it's terribly accurate) and focus assist for MF, then the camera may have better IQ than an M9, but that the perfect simplicity of the M has been compromised, without offering much in return. (maybe if they'd offered focus peaking it might be different)

Bottom line (for me) is that if you want AF you want an SLR - probably a Nikon. If you want MF you want to be able to really nail it (without zooming in and out). If you want to shoot M lenses, then you want to shoot them on a full frame camera, and preferably on a Leica.

. . . and Marc - I wonder how much time Irakly would be willing to spend in the camera, even if he wasn't in Moscow!

all the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Luckily the review is not regarding the artistic quality of images

Jono??
    I understand Robert, yet how does one evaluate the IQ of any tool if most of the samples are so poorly executed as to obscure any latent qualities one uses as a guide? Poor execution isn't the same as being devoid of artistic merit. We all shoot rote stuff when goofing around testing a new camera, but it doesn't excuse us from exercising some level of "craftsmanship" so we can use them to discuss some image merits we find.

Anyone can make a badly executed photo of an ordinary subject with any camera at any cost, in which case it isn't the subject that is at issue, and it becomes equally difficult or impossible to glean anything of value from the review.

Just click on the hi-res version of that pano shot of the estate ... to me what came to mind was why would anyone include a shot that is not exposed correctly and isn't sharp, then tout how excellent a camera is? The credibility comes into question in those circumstances.

http://www.ephotozine.com/articles/f...1330963278.jpg

What do we expect to learn from the high res shot of the dog? Either the reviewer chose to not focus on the eyes, or the camera did ... we don't know. The exposure is poor and the front of the dog is blown ... focus fall off is quite abrupt and goes mushy pretty quickly ... not image characteristics I would personally label as "excellent".

http://www.magezinepublishing.com/eq...1330963312.jpg

Etc., etc. etc.

While it is not my job or responsibility to publicly take any review to task, I will speak my thoughts when hyperbolic adjectives are bandied about that are not born out by the accompanying images.

I'm not speaking in general, but about this specific review that was used as some sort of proof of excellence. This doesn't necessarily mean the camera is bad, it just means it is hard to tell what it is without some standards of craftsmanship being exercised.

-Marc

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well . . I'm very flattered - and I don't see much wrong with the IQ myself, although I have to admit I find it really difficult to glean much from this sort of web image.

However, I do have a problem with the camera . . at least, of course, I haven't tried the X Pro1 . . but I had a real problem with the X100, and the principle is clearly the same.

My personal feeling is that the camera is very much to the M9 what the Contax G2 was to the M7. . . more innovative, advanced, forward thinking, excellent and sensibly priced lenses, beautifully made (I was going to say attractive, but I still have a problem with that slopey bit) . . . but seriously missing the point. For me the point is . . . well, the points are:

the rangefinder patch (i.e believable manual focusing)
    seeing outside the image
    having a fixed view
    really really knowing what's in focus

Perhaps it's just me - certainly, if you're going to shoot street, then, on the whole the camera is likely to focus on the person you're pointing it at, and with face detection it'll do even better. But I often want focus on a small point with something contrasty behind it, and my experience of CDAF focusing is that it's really bad at that - and that the focus point is much larger than it appears. The Contax G2 AF was pretty bad as well . . . and you never really knew what it was focusing on . . the situation doesn't seem to me to have changed that much.

I think the point I'm trying to make is that the Fuji is so clever and all, the lenses seem lovely and sensibly priced, but my impression is that unless you are willing to put up with imprecise AF (even if it's terribly accurate) and focus assist for MF, then the camera may have better IQ than an M9, but that the perfect simplicity of the M has been compromised, without offering much in return. (maybe if they'd offered focus peaking it might be different)

Bottom line (for me) is that if you want AF you want an SLR - probably a Nikon. If you want MF you want to be able to really nail it (without zooming in and out). If you want to shoot M lenses, then you want to shoot them on a full frame camera, and preferably on a Leica.

. . . and Marc - I wonder how much time Irakly would be willing to spend in the camera, even if he wasn't in Moscow!

all the best
    Here's a shocker ... after all my grousing, I may go ahead and get this camera anyway ... not as a replacement for my main M9P rangefinder camera, but as a back-up to it. I sold both my M9s, and it'll be a while before the M10 is out and available to evaluate verses the M9P (which I'll keep in any case anyway). My wife needs a camera, and if I don't like the Fuji, she may for all the reasons I don't

In the meantime I'd like to see how it does in low light ... at which point, the whole focus issue you discuss will become the primary evaluative point ... if it is similar to the Contax G2, it won't matter how well it handles higher ISO IQ.

The competition for this interim camera is unclear to me right now. The ideal back-up to a M9 is of course another M9, but right now with the M10 on the horizon I'm hedging my bets while waiting ... the best back-up alternative would be something to use the M lenses on, Like the NEX ... but I like the form factor of this camera better, even if I'm not in love with the design of it.

Then there is the option of doing nothing in the interim.

All the best,

-Marc

BTW, Irakly puts his pants on one leg at a time, and if I got this camera I guarantee he'll grab it and disappear for a couple of days and then give his typical blunt and candid, but always fair, opinion one way or another.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here's a shocker ... after all my grousing, I may go ahead and get this camera anyway ... not as a replacement for my main M9P rangefinder camera, but as a back-up to it. I sold both my M9s, and it'll be a while before the M10 is out and available to evaluate verses the M9P (which I'll keep in any case anyway). My wife needs a camera, and if I don't like the Fuji, she may for all the reasons I don't

In the meantime I'd like to see how it does in low light ... at which point, the whole focus issue you discuss will become the primary evaluative point ... if it is similar to the Contax G2, it won't matter how well it handles higher ISO IQ.

The competition for this interim camera is unclear to me right now. The ideal back-up to a M9 is of course another M9, but right now with the M10 on the horizon I'm hedging my bets while waiting ... the best back-up alternative would be something to use the M lenses on, Like the NEX ... but I like the form factor of this camera better, even if I'm not in love with the design of it.

Then there is the option of doing nothing in the interim.

All the best,

-Marc

BTW, Irakly puts his pants on one leg at a time, and if I got this camera I guarantee he'll grab it and disappear for a couple of days and then give his typical blunt and candid, but always fair, opinion one way or another.
    i have the X100 and it does surprisingly good in low light. you have to get in a bit of a groove with it (and put it in AFC), but i've found a few instances where it has actually focused better than my eyes on the M

and don't forget (not that anyone here seems to really care about this) it focuses closer -- no limitation if you're in tight spaces.

we'll be in Paris for a day at the end of the week but i'm not sure whether i'll get to get my hands on one... i admit major curiosity but not lust. it's too big for me (the X100 is perfect size to take and shoot alongside an M).

i don't have Irakly's skill, but i promise to get shots out of the norm if i have the chance.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cam View Post
    i have the X100 and it does surprisingly good in low light. you have to get in a bit of a groove with it (and put it in AFC), but i've found a few instances where it has actually focused better than my eyes on the M

and don't forget (not that anyone here seems to really care about this) it focuses closer -- no limitation if you're in tight spaces.

we'll be in Paris for a day at the end of the week but i'm not sure whether i'll get to get my hands on one... i admit major curiosity but not lust. it's too big for me (the X100 is perfect size to take and shoot alongside an M).

i don't have Irakly's skill, but i promise to get shots out of the norm if i have the chance.
    Would be most interested in your take on those low light aspects ... especially since you seem to grasp how to exploit the X100 in AF mode in those sort of conditions.

Thanks,

Marc

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

HI Marc
    I'll be fascinated with your findings- I realise that my grouches are pretty personal ( I don't think I know another photographer who doesn't remember the G2 with affection).

Anyway, it's easy to be critical with 2 m9 bodies and a bunch of M lenses!

Oh! I do care about that - very much!

Well, I'll be really interested in your findings.

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Would be most interested in your take on those low light aspects ... especially since you seem to grasp how to exploit the X100 in AF mode in those sort of conditions.
    if (and it's a big IF) i can get my hands on the new Fuji, i'll hopefully get to try it overnight... but, yes, there *are* ways to finesse it.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

if (and it's a big IF) i can get my hands on the new Fuji, i'll hopefully get to try it overnight... but, yes, there *are* ways to finesse it.
    Me too (I'll be really interested) - I gave up in frustration - doesn't mean I was right!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Me too (I'll be really interested) - I gave up in frustration - doesn't mean I was right!
    I can give up on a camera without ever making an exposure.

Take the NEX-7 for example, every time I picked one up all I wanted to do was put it down again. It was never going to be right for me even as a back-up camera so I never gave it a chance. Every camera I've loved felt right from day one.

Some things are just not meant to be.

Post Thanks / Like

All I'm waiting for is to see what it does with the M mount, and how MF is implemented with that setup. I agree completely with Marc re. the images accompanying that review. Consider Nick Devlin's lovely shot of Celine, for example, that accompanied his review: that's an unusual portrait that works, for me, and does show some lovely aspects of the lens and sensor.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The X-Pro1 would not be my first choice for using adapted lenses, with the current user interface, especially with any focal length close to the Fuji primes.

Key sequence.

--press center of command dial to magnify (this button is on the center right of the camera)
    --press AF button and then the arrow buttons to move the focus point (AF button on far left of camera; arrow buttons back to center right)

It should instead be:

--press center of command dial to magnify
    --press arrow buttons to move focus point

Press an AF button for manual focus? hmm.

If adapted lenses were my priority I'd go for a Ricoh or NEX first.

--The EVF on the NEX is pretty much agreed to be the best available
    --focus peaking.

That said, the fantastic sensor and amazing high ISO might be enough for some users to go with the Fuji anyway.

A wide manual focus lens like a 15mm Voigtlander might be quite enjoyable on the Fuji by presetting the focus.

Perhaps Fuji will improve the UI and add focus peaking...that would change the game quite a lot.

Kit, Robert already wrote about that and it does not look very enticing as it is implemented now.

I am still interested in this camera and the lenses though.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by KeithL View Post

Take the NEX-7 for example, every time I picked one up all I wanted to do was put it down again. It was never going to be right for me even as a back-up camera so I never gave it a chance. Every camera I've loved felt right from day one.

What is your primary camera at the moment?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I wanted to like the NEX7 - and I took around 2000 images with it. Focusing was fab, no criticisms with handling (lovely with R lenses) but, but, but - it seemed to get in the way between me and the subject (I was always thinking about the camera rather than the subject). I suspect that the real killer was buttons / dials that did different things in different circumstances (my small brain is not good at this).

The X100 was similar - I was always wondering EXACTLY where it had focused (on that eye . . . or the window behind it?) especially in OVF mode. . . . and the menus were full of stuff I really didn't want or need, but needed to be understood properly!

Roberts post for MF with legacy lenses:
    Key sequence.

--press center of command dial to magnify (this button is on the center right of the camera)
    --press AF button and then the arrow buttons to move the focus point (AF button on far left of camera; arrow buttons back to center right)

sounds to me like a perfect recipe for extreme irritation . . . how can you take pictures like that?

Going back to the M9 was a huge relief - I don't think it's familiarity. I think it's just that all you have to consider is the aperture, the shutter speed, the ISO and the focus. the X1, despite it's speed is rather similar.

all the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I wanted to like the NEX7 - and I took around 2000 images with it. Focusing was fab, no criticisms with handling (lovely with R lenses) but, but, but - it seemed to get in the way between me and the subject (I was always thinking about the camera rather than the subject). I suspect that the real killer was buttons / dials that did different things in different circumstances (my small brain is not good at this).

The X100 was similar - I was always wondering EXACTLY where it had focused (on that eye . . . or the window behind it?) especially in OVF mode. . . . and the menus were full of stuff I really didn't want or need, but needed to be understood properly!

Roberts post for MF with legacy lenses:
    Key sequence.

sounds to me like a perfect recipe for extreme irritation . . . how can you take pictures like that?

Going back to the M9 was a huge relief - I don't think it's familiarity. I think it's just that all you have to consider is the aperture, the shutter speed, the ISO and the focus. the X1, despite it's speed is rather similar.

all the best

Jono, I am genuinely curious. We saw many pictures when you had the NEX-7. What do you do with your M9s?

Post Thanks / Like

Vivek, thanks. I agree, does not look at that promising right now, and the camera plus one of the Fuji primes is not small. On the NEX 7 side, for a carry-everywhere body with one small lens (like the 35 Color Skopar) , it could be excellent. As an aside, the Fuji XS 1 was a bit too small for me, and the OVF was—a joke, frankly.

The problem with the X1 (again, and to pick up on something Jono said) is the external finder if you want to *see* what you are shooting: I had to leave this morning for Italy, and I am in Milano now, so could not take delivery of the NEX 5N with its EVF before I left: we know its sensor is good, but it's likely that its ergonomics will not suit either for the same reason (external EVF).

Could I get a NEX 7 for just one lens? Yes, probably. I find the GXR M with EVF great to use except for the 100% unergonomic finder: you simply cannot throw it in a bag, or pocket, with it on—and it's just a high-end P&S without it. And the EVF is only adequate, resolution-wise.

I can't recall who said this here, but the capacity to disable unwanted menu items/function would be brilliant, too, on any camera we are discussing.

For me, having spent some time recently with a friend's M8, and leaving aside the diopter aspect I wrote about—honestly I find that body fat and unergonomic too. I find the grip essential, and that added a chunk more bulk to the thickness.

I am finding peaking to be effective, if relatively slow (compared to the M8 rangefinder, even though it was not 'sharp'). I have been a photographer for many years and I immediately could feel/see how the rangefinder allows very fast MF. I love the images that the M8 makes, but do not like the body. I used M bodies in film days and remember them to be considerably sleeker.

If the X1 had an EVF with peaking like the NEX 7 and an EFOV of 45-50, I definitely would want to trial that. My hope is a peaking arrangement that works well enough over the whole finder image that the camera becomes as fast as an M8/M9. It will happen (I shot pro video on and off years ago; their finders definitely allow rapid focus-finding and pulling, with certainty of accuracy of focus).

So, once I get back from italy, if the NEX 5N doesn't work out, then I will try a NEX 7.

Demanding sods, aren't we all?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono, I am genuinely curious. We saw many pictures when you had the NEX-7. What do you do with your M9s?
    HI Vivek

They go on the website (often not on the front page if they relate to personal events), some get printed. Sometimes they get posted on the M images thread, but to be honest I find it too much work to keep up with that thread politely, and I find it confusing having everybody reposting images - simply not to my taste.

Last night I shot a gig with the M9 with the noctilux and the A77 with the 135 f1.8

∆ at the Waterfront Norwich

Hmm -
    Last edited by jonoslack; 13th March 2012 at 05:39.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Jono, Thanks for your kind response! Totally understandable.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kit laughlin View Post

Demanding sods, aren't we all?
    Indeed, Kit. I get confused when the M9 is declared as the "perfect" one and folks keep talking about depreciation and appreciation of value of gear. I would not let go of a tool if I find it to be "perfect" neither would I look at the others to keep reinforcing the thought.

An example is the humble Leica Summicron R 50/2. I have had it since I bought it along with my SL2. Despite having gone through various brands/formats, etc. I still have it. By far it is the best 50mm I have come across. It still finds use, occasionally.

But, that is me.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Jono, Thanks for your kind response! Totally understandable.
    I tend to post lots of shots when I get a new camera - it's fun being involved with the discoveries, and interesting to see how others feel. Perhaps it's even helpful.

One of the great pleasures of this site I think.

.. . unfortunately I had the Fuji X10 for such a short time (because of the issue with DNG files and Apple) , and the weather was so dreadful, that I didn't post anything.

I took it back, and, still wanting something coat-pocketable with a zoom, I changed it for a panasonic GX1 with the teeny weeny 14-42 power zoom. We'll see. I wanted the lens anyway (for a pocketable with the OMD) which made the body pretty reasonable (about £250 if you take off the cost of the lens).

I rather resent the X Pro1 for being so much not the camera I need, that I won't have a chance to be part of the fun

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kit laughlin View Post
    The problem with the X1 (again, and to pick up on something Jono said) is the external finder if you want to *see* what you are shooting: I had to leave this morning for Italy, and I am in Milano now, so could not take delivery of the NEX 5N with its EVF before I left: we know its sensor is good, but it's likely that its ergonomics will not suit either for the same reason (external EVF).
    HI Kit
    If I were to go back to NEX, I'd get a 5n with a viewfinder again - the fact that the camera is very low without the viewfinder, and, more to the point, the fact that it screws solidly into the camera somehow makes the ergonomics much better.

Mine is now in Silas hands, with the viewfinder screwed right in and his 35 color-skopar with a hawks adapter welded to the front. Looks good, works well, great high ISO, good corners . . what's not to like!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

What is your primary camera at the moment?
    Hasselblad H series.

Post Thanks / Like

The last thing I need when making images is to have to worry about cameras. As far as I'm concerned simplicity is key.

Simple things for simple minds?
    http://www.keithlaban.co.uk
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Indeed. This is one reason I prefer to shoot film cameras.

FWIW, I don't think the X-Pro1 is a good candidate for adapting lenses. If you want to do that, there are better options. An exception would be wide angles like 12mm or 15mm Voigtlanders using zone focus.

If one works slow and can live with multiple button presses, the sensor is fantastic, probably the best APS-C by a wide margin, and better than currently shipping full-frame cameras. This *may* be all the reason anyone needs, but to me, if you buy an X-Pro1, buy the native lenses.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The last thing I need when making images is to have to worry about cameras. As far as I'm concerned simplicity is key.

Simple things for simple minds?

FWIW, I don't think the X-Pro1 is a good candidate for adapting lenses. If you want to do that, there are better options. An exception would be wide angles like 12mm or 15mm Voigtlanders using zone focus.

If one works slow and can live with multiple button presses, the sensor is fantastic, probably the best APS-C by a wide margin, and better than currently shipping full-frame cameras. This *may* be all the reason anyone needs, but to me, if you buy an X-Pro1, buy the native lenses.

+1

I got the feeling that Fuji intend to promote this as a system camera. I also suspect that other lenses would not do as well as Fuji's own when adapted and even when one is willing to put up with the maze of operations to make them work.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The hassle just comes further on!
    Basically - the corollary of this is that the X-Pro1 is no good for manual focus (or am I missing something here?).

Just this guy you know

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Film cameras aren't computers. A well designed film camera has an 'interface' that doesn't get in the way of the photography. Too many digitals don't.

What is your definition of 'no good?'

What is the subject matter?

As usual in photography, 'it depends.'

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Film cameras aren't computers. A well designed film camera has an 'interface' that doesn't get in the way of the photography. Too many digitals don't.
    I quite agree . . . but I don't think the M9 gets in the way, and, come to think of it, I don't feel the Sony A900 does either - for basically the same reasons, i.e. they behave like film cameras with digital film.

What is your definition of 'no good?'

What is the subject matter?

As usual in photography, 'it depends.'
    Ah! definitions! . . . and then subject matter as well! If we have to define both of these things before a discussion there'll never be rook for disagreement, and then where would we be?

I wasn't really being precise, but when you said you felt the X-Pro1 wasn't a good camera for adapting lenses, and explained the multiple presses required to get MF, I assumed you meant that the MF was not that great? (not that great means, in this context, that you wouldn't use it).

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Basically - the corollary of this is that the X-Pro1 is no good for manual focus (or am I missing something here?).
    Sadly, based on the evidence I've seen so far, this seems increasingly likely.

It's also looking more and more likely that I'll wait until the announcement of the M10 before making any commitment.

Best

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I wasn't really being precise, but when you said you felt the X-Pro1 wasn't a good camera for adapting lenses, and explained the multiple presses required to get MF, I assumed you meant that the MF was not that great? (not that great means, in this context, that you wouldn't use it).
    Probably better wording would be that it may not be the best choice. It doesn't mean it's not a 'good camera' for adapting lenses, because the sensor may trump everything else, depending on what one shoots. But we are talking about a 'rangefinder-style' camera; i.e., decisive moment. To me, that means adapted lenses would be limited to super wides using zone focus. If you have to take the time to manually focus, well, there goes the moment.

Now, if instead the plan is to use the Fuji as a digital back on a tripod for landscapes to take advantage of that amazing sensor, that's an entirely different matter. But if it were me, I am not sure I'd buy the Fuji for that...maybe that is the perfect scenario for someone else, tho. EDIT: I guess in general still subjects don't necessarily mean landscapes and/or tripods. Like I said, it just depends on what one shoots as to whether it's a good choice.

So, I guess what I'm saying is that if the camera is going to be used in the traditional manner of an RF, just get the Fuji lenses.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

On the other hand, this shooter seemed to think focus was pretty easy...shooting with an f/0.95 lens, too boot:

"Personally I found it a lot easier to use just the EVF (i normally hate EVF viewfinders) to focus it and found I could do it quickly and accurately most of the time, even wide open was easier than I thought….this gives a slight advantage over the M9, as with that of course it is always manual rangefinder focus with available light…which is fine during daylight, but much more difficult in low light, the EVF on the Fuji brightened up the scene and made it relatively simple to nail the focus."

EXCLUSIVE: SLR Magic Hyperprime 50mm 0.95 on Fuji XPro1 & Leica M9

And this post with the Fuji lenses:

http://www.f8photography.com.hk/blog...firstthoughts/

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for the links, Robert.

Though the SLR magic shooter could have paid a bit more attention to leveling the cameras, it is a clever post with XPro1 and M9 shots.

Hmm....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

"Personally I found it a lot easier to use just the EVF (i normally hate EVF viewfinders) to focus it and found I could do it quickly and accurately most of the time, even wide open was easier than I thought….this gives a slight advantage over the M9, as with that of course it is always manual rangefinder focus with available light…which is fine during daylight, but much more difficult in low light, the EVF on the Fuji brightened up the scene and made it relatively simple to nail the focus."
    i have not shot on this camera, obviously, but i can speak about going back and forth between an M and the EVF (M8 and X100 in my case) in very dim light.

the EVF was so bright as to almost blind me but, yes, i could see very clearly what i was focusing on (using AF). when i went back to the M, it was almost as if someone had dimmed the lights -- a lot. it was a significant difference. once my eyes adjusted, however, my eyes adjusted and the M was just right... and then the blinding as i changed back again to the X100. it was a very odd experience.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

i have not shot on this camera, obviously, but i can speak about going back and forth between an M and the EVF (M8 and X100 in my case) in very dim light.

the EVF was so bright as to almost blind me but, yes, i could see very clearly what i was focusing on (using AF). when i went back to the M, it was almost as if someone had dimmed the lights -- a lot. it was a significant difference. once my eyes adjusted, however, my eyes adjusted and the M was just right... and then the blinding as i changed back again to the X100. it was a very odd experience.
    Funny you should mention that. I was in exactly the same position last night.

I was shooting a concert in Norwich last night, with the A77 and the M9 - same thing, back and forth between the EVF on the A77 and the rangefinder. As you say, the EVF was often quite blinding for a few seconds . . and then the M9 seemed really dim, but it only took a few seconds to equilibrate - the Nikon shooter next to me with his D3s agreed that AF was impossible (I think he was using the 24-70), so it was MF in all directions.

Focus peaking on the A77 worked splendidly . . . as did the rangefinder on the M9 - I'd guess that the level of keepers was pretty much equivalent. I think this would be a situation where the Fuji might not be perfect.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Jono wrote:

If I were to go back to NEX, I'd get a 5n with a viewfinder again - the fact that the camera is very low without the viewfinder, and, more to the point, the fact that it screws solidly into the camera somehow makes the ergonomics much better.
    Well, that's great, because I have one in transit (bought from a member here) and one of the Hawk's adapters, too.

The 5N, EVF, Hawk's, and the 35/2.5 Color Skopar will be, possibly, the walk-around combo I have been looking for. The GXR works very well with the CV 12 and 15 (and now I know how to dial in the corner corrections, even better; we'll see). The GXR EVF is definitely good enough for tripod work, which is what I use the GXR for (interiors).

Once I have the NEX 5N in hand, I will ask for suggestions on focus setup. I really want to use just one lens on whatever body I settle on and get practised with it.

I will check out the SLR Magic thread now!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for the links, Robert.

Though the SLR magic shooter could have paid a bit more attention to leveling the cameras, it is a clever post with XPro1 and M9 shots.

Hmm....
    - I liked the shots too - I also rather liked his sense of a level horizon. On the P1ss is the new straight

Just this guy you know