The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

new Fuji X Pro1 camera

V

Vivek

Re: new Fuji X Pro1 camera (formerly called "new camera")

It's a wonderful site - most useful. It's saved me a great deal of money!

In the context of the shot you've posted it seems to me that the M9 is a minimalist beauty compared to the X1pro which seems kind of knobbly.

Perhaps this is a little reality check as well:

http://camerasize.com/compare/#258,33

Little being the operative word - mind you, Fuji will instantly be 2 primes up on Sony who only have the one splendid prime (24 f1.8)
Of course, I did that comparison, Jono.

Interestingly, I mounted a Leica lens carrier under the NEX-7 and it makes it a fantastic to grip and hold, pressing against my palm. With that in mind, the Fuji X Pro1 with its grip would do quite well. However, I have another project in mind and that calls for another NEX-7. Difficult decisions to make....

jonoslack

Nice link with a bit more info, Robert.:)
. . . . Interesting photos - The X100 was unquestionably a thing of beauty, whatever other reservations might have been . . . and the X10 is pretty pretty too . . .

Godfrey

Oh bugger... I suspect after reading that text that my GH1 is a “conventional mirrorless camera”. I need to upgrade to a “premium interchangeable lens camera”, right?
Reminds me of the Ford "precision sized car" horsepucky from years ago. This marketing babble-speak is just plain ridiculous.

Sheesh, Fuji, you have a lovely product in this camera. Don't make it into something laughable.

monza

Product differentiation and marketing is what it's all about. :)

Is the iPad full of magic? Or is it just like any other tablet?

raist3d

Oh bugger... I suspect after reading that text that my GH1 is a “conventional mirrorless camera”. I need to upgrade to a “premium interchangeable lens camera”, right? :confused:
That is up to you. :) Only you can break the consumerist cycle for yourself.

- Raist

raist3d

Well of course, it must be able to focus...that's a given.

I agree, it must have an acceptable level of performance to be a 'pro' camera. However I don't think it needs to focus as fast as a phase detect sports DSLR that costs about the same money, in order to be acceptably fast.
Well yes, I agree with that. What I do think though is, if it doesn't do AF fast, it should do superb MF.

- Raist

Last edited:

raist3d

Product differentiation and marketing is what it's all about. :)

Is the iPad full of magic? Or is it just like any other tablet?
The iPad is full of magic. After all it also created that market :)

- Raist

raist3d

So according to the imaging resource interview, there will be a future x1 pro mount camera that will have phase detection….

- Raist

Ben Rubinstein

I would imagine wedding photography is like many types of photography in that each photographer can choose a style and a way of working. Certainly there is a documentary style of photography that some wedding photographers use. I don't think Fuji is saying this is a specialized wedding camera--street photographers, for example, could use this as well.

So were you thinking of using this system for your wedding work?
Not some, that is the definition of modern day wedding photography in most countries.

I can't think of using it I'm afraid, it doesn't begin to match up for what Fuji says is a market (not the only of course) that they're aiming for.

I can't think of a single manufacturer who offers a short tele portrait prime slower than f1.8, there is a reason for that. It's not just me.

fotografz

I would imagine wedding photography is like many types of photography in that each photographer can choose a style and a way of working. Certainly there is a documentary style of photography that some wedding photographers use. I don't think Fuji is saying this is a specialized wedding camera--street photographers, for example, could use this as well.

So were you thinking of using this system for your wedding work?
I would IF I didn't already have a Leica M9 that I use at just about every wedding, especially if I couldn't afford a M9.

For me it isn't an either/or proposition ... a smaller rangefinder style camera and a traditional AF DSLR working in concert. Each has its place. Sometimes the situation warrants the M, and others are better served by a fuller function DSLR with zooms, longer lenses, and more sophisticated speed-light options. Given an either/or restriction, I think nearly all wedding shooters would overwhelmingly opt for the 35mm DSLR over exclusive use of a camera like the Fuji X-Pro-1 which is too narrow to apply to every eventuality that can pop up at a wedding.

So, I don't think that is what Fuji meant by appealing to the wedding market. This could be a nice "relief" from lugging a DSLR around all day. I know it is for me.

-Marc

Shashin

I can't think of a single manufacturer who offers a short tele portrait prime slower than f1.8, there is a reason for that. It's not just me.
I can. In the 50mm to 70mm range (or equivalent MF to APS), these companies do: Canon, Nikon, Tamron, Sigma, Pentax, Rocoh, Sony, Zeiss, Schneider, Hasselblad, Mamiya, Leica, and Fuji. It seems when you get passed 50mm, f/2.8 seem very common. You don't need to like the X Pro-1, but let's be fair.

fotografz

I can. In the 50mm to 70mm range (or equivalent MF to APS), these companies do: Canon, Nikon, Tamron, Sigma, Pentax, Rocoh, Sony, Zeiss, Schneider, Hasselblad, Mamiya, Leica, and Fuji. It seems when you get passed 50mm, f/2.8 seem very common. You don't need to like the X Pro-1, but let's be fair.
Nice list, but not short teles for portraits that Ben's speaking about ... which are at least 85/1.8 all the way to f/1.2.

Canon 85/1.2L or 1.8, Nikon 85/1.4, Sony ZA85/1.4, to mention the big three ... plus all the 3rd party lens makers with their 85/1.4s. On crop frame cameras they get to be around 125mm, but still remain fast apertures to help isolate the subject or allow a faster shutter speed.

I don't mind a 90mm in the 2.5 or 2.8 range on my M9 ... but a M90 f/2 is much better for portraits, and I'd much prefer an 85/1.4.

-Marc