Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 100 of 768

Thread: new Fuji X Pro1 camera

  1. #51
    Senior Member CharlesK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    730
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: new camera

    If the specs match the hype, the Fujifilm X-Pro1 will be amazing

    Very interesting!!! I had a call from Camera Exchange in Melbourne about 1 hour ago, and they placed an order for 20 of Fujifilm X-Pro1 cameras. They are anticipating delivery late February, at a price of AUD$2,500 for the body with the 35/1.4 lens. I have now one officially on order.

    Full specs and details will be officially available Monday
    Last edited by CharlesK; 5th January 2012 at 21:53.
    Charles Kalnins
    Tallai, Queensland Australia.

    http://kalnins.zenfolio.com

  2. #52
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    k-hawinkler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The "Land of Enchantment"
    Posts
    3,300
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: new camera

    Charles,

    Good luck with your new purchase.
    I am hoping you will show some pictures here when you have it.

    Best, K-H.

  3. #53
    Senior Member CharlesK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    730
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: new camera

    Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    Charles,

    Good luck with your new purchase.
    I am hoping you will show some pictures here when you have it.

    Best, K-H.
    Thanks Yes of course I will post some pics! Though, I am still wary of all the hype. On paper, the X-Pro1 looks like the perfect combo of being a serious photographer's camera IMO.
    Charles Kalnins
    Tallai, Queensland Australia.

    http://kalnins.zenfolio.com

  4. #54
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: new camera

    IMO, being wary of all the hype is a good thing Charles.

    However, I do agree that on paper this looks to be a serious tool with just the right spread of AF focal lengths for a camera of this type, at a reasonable "working-man's price." Simple, clean and well positioned. BTW, that french article seems to indicate that the 60/2.5 (90mm), was a macro.

    Then it'll all come down to how well the ergo's work in real-world situations, how well the AF works in conditions where a camera of this type tends to be used, the optics and of course what the files look like ... especially wide open in mid to higher ISOs. I'll leave the beta testing of all that to others.

    I remain subjectively unimpressed with any of the APSc compact camera's files despite being in the hands of some darned good photographers. To my eye the cameras appear to lag the talents of the users.

    I also freely admit to no longer being among the "adapt a any lens to a anemic sized camera", nor being a fan of stuff like focus peaking which only seem to work with a high degree of accuracy in lighting conditions where you probably don't need it.

    Personally, I'm not buying anything, especially any systems camera like this until the Fat Lady sings at Photokina in September. For the time being, I've side stepped the techno-juggernaut in favor of other ways of improving my work which are less ... uh ... financially eroding. This relentless stream of incremental stuff is like being nibbled to death by ducks

    -Marc

  5. #55
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,604
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: new camera

    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesK View Post
    If the specs match the hype, the Fujifilm X-Pro1 will be amazing

    Very interesting!!! I had a call from Camera Exchange in Melbourne about 1 hour ago, and they placed an order for 20 of Fujifilm X-Pro1 cameras. They are anticipating delivery late February, at a price of AUD$2,500 for the body with the 35/1.4 lens. I have now one officially on order.

    Full specs and details will be officially available Monday

    Good luck with your purchase!

    Even considering that everything camera sold in Australia is very costly, the body + 1 lens price is pretty steep! Even more than the NEX-7 + the E-Sonnar 24/1.8.

    Let us hope that Fuji will make it worth the price!.

  6. #56
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,604
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: new camera

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post

    I also freely admit to no longer being among the "adapt a any lens to a anemic sized camera",

    -Marc
    I guess you have not looked at peanut sized lenses then!

  7. #57
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: new camera

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    I also freely admit to no longer being among the "adapt a any lens to a anemic sized camera", nor being a fan of stuff like focus peaking which only seem to work with a high degree of accuracy in lighting conditions where you probably don't need it.
    Lot's of good points Marc . . except about focus peaking - I've been shooting right over the Christmas period in darkened rooms and at parties and family gatherings, sometimes with candles and always in low light. At first sight it might look like focus peaking is not very operational, but there is always a sparkle in an eye or hair - in fact, at times when one would normally be grabbing focus on the end of a nose or the corner of a pair of glasses, focus peaking means you get the eye in focus - even at really oblique angles. To be honest, it's less useful in very good light where the amount of peaking may be a distraction in the viewfinder.

    Irakly asked in another place 'with an optical rangefinder I can focus on a backlit strand of hair from fifteen feet away, when everything is pitch-dark around' can you do this with focus peaking? - and the answer is an unhesitating YES.

    So - whatever your feelings about other lenses on different sensors, don't knock focus peaking until you've tried it properly. I've even take to shooting AF lenses in manual focus with peaking - especially in low light - (works really well on the A77 where the af/mf button switches peaking on an off); the ability to see what's in focus over the whole frame is really useful, and with practice it's very fast.

    . . .. a whole generation of professional video photographers are unlikely to be wrong!

    all the best

    Just this guy you know

  8. #58
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,604
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: new camera

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post

    Irakly asked in another place 'with an optical rangefinder I can focus on a backlit strand of hair from fifteen feet away, when everything is pitch-dark around' can you do this with focus peaking? - and the answer is an unhesitating YES.
    Sorry, Jono, that can not be farther than the reality. Admittedly, my eyes aren't the same 20/10 that were just a few years ago but still very good. Focus peaking because it is contrast based is no different than the high contrast/sharpness setting trick I used in a Panasonic G1 a few years back. For some, the choice of colors may appear to help as long as the color highlights do not show show on the wrong places.

    No matter how you spin it, it does not work for me. Most definitely in the quoted circumstance. It is a no go.

  9. #59
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    296
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: new camera

    cash-sapping juggernaut never sleeps

    Go ahead and sap I say -- as long as it isn't my money, at least not yet - since if this feeding frenzy continues sooner or later some player will have to come up with a new full frame mirrorless interchangeable-lens camera (apart from the venerable but too expensive Leica M9) just to get ahead of the pack.

    Wouldn't that be nice?

    Meanwhile

  10. #60
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: new camera

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Sorry, Jono, that can not be farther than the reality. Admittedly, my eyes aren't the same 20/10 that were just a few years ago but still very good. Focus peaking because it is contrast based is no different than the high contrast/sharpness setting trick I used in a Panasonic G1 a few years back. For some, the choice of colors may appear to help as long as the color highlights do not show show on the wrong places.

    No matter how you spin it, it does not work for me. Most definitely in the quoted circumstance. It is a no go.
    Well, my eyes aren't as good as they used to be either - I quite agree that in low contrast situations the sparkles are transitory and fairly sparse - but that isn't necessarily a bad thing - a backlit hair at 15 ft has contrast - as does a reflection in an eyeball, and these are the things one is normally focusing on.

    With the NEX7 (you have one don't you?) you certainly need to turn peaking on to 'high' and 'white' in low light situations.

    How hard have you tried? How much have you practiced?

    There are only a few possibilities:
    1. we have the camera set up differently
    2. I'm lying
    3. you aren't trying hard enough!

    There may be other options, but I can't think of them!

    Just this guy you know

  11. #61
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,604
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: new camera

    Let me put it this way. I am glad that the NEX-7 has a few more buttons and the possibility to customize a few.

    The one touch magnification/focus assist is there and I am glad it is. Focus peaking- nice catch phrase. No more. Certainly no resemblance to the OVF plus RF patch that some are comparing (no distracting flashing highlights everywhere in an OVF like a focus peaked EVF).

    YMMV.

    I am not going to get into this discussion with you anymore as this appears to be getting personal.

    EDIT: Sincere apologies for the wording in my earlier post. I could not express it strongly without the phrase I used. It was not personal other than something against a belief or conviction.
    Last edited by Vivek; 6th January 2012 at 05:42.

  12. #62
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: new camera

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Let me put it this way. I am glad that the NEX-7 has a few more buttons and the possibility to customize a few.

    The one touch magnification/focus assist is there and I am glad it is. Focus peaking- nice catch phrase. No more. Certainly no resemblance to the OVF plus RF patch that some are comparing (no distracting flashing highlights everywhere in an OVF like a focus peaked EVF).

    YMMV.

    I am not going to get into this discussion with you anymore as this appears to be getting personal.

    EDIT: Sincere apologies for the wording in my earlier post. I could not express it strongly without the phrase I used. It was not personal other than something against a belief or conviction.
    Well, I need to apologise, because I now realise that I was implying that you thought I was lying - which was far from my intention. Just as a matter of interest I find the one touch magnification completely useless . . because it's so distracting!

    Each to his own - and we've known each other far too long to take offence (I hope) - but with reference to the focus peaking, I'm not alone in finding it useful - even in low light - (Michael Reichman for instance seems to be very impressed).

    As far as a rangefinder with a patch . . . it's my favourite - I love it - there's nothing that will replace it . . . and it's one of the principle reasons why I don't find this camera interesting, because, I'm assuming the OVF works like an X100, which I tried to like and didn't . . . just like the Contax G2.

    all the best

    Just this guy you know

  13. #63
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,604
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: new camera

    No worries, Jono.

    As for X,Y or Z reviewer promoting a camera every week or season, I could not care less!

  14. #64
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: new camera

    Ditto here ...

    Jono, I DID try focus peaking the minute it was introduced on the NEX5 and kept at it a lot, and in a lot of different lighting conditions. It's okay for some situations but not all (like a rangefiner is, to answer Irakly). At times, focus peaking in the viewfinder looked like the skies over Bagdad, and if you have slightly moving subjects or other subjects moving around the one you are trying to focus on it can get pretty ... uh ... busy. Just a bit of body sway by the shooter or the subject and stuff is in and out all over the place. I agree, it's not so hot on bright conditions either where the whole viewfinder is lighting up.

    BUT ... big BUT ... I did not experience focus peaking in an EFV ... which may make a difference as opposed to holding the camera so you can see the rear LCD like the NEX5. So, my comments are tempered by that until I get a chance to use FP with a EVP.

    I don't think shooting video is quite the same BTW. You can get away with a lot at 30 fps.

    To each their own ... I had a lot more success shooting the 0.95 by framing, zoom focusing and immediately shooting which the camera lets you do. But that takes practice also That would also be a lot easier if it was happening in the viewfinder.

    -Marc

  15. #65
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: new camera

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Ditto here ...

    Jono, I DID try focus peaking the minute it was introduced on the NEX5 and kept at it a lot, and in a lot of different lighting conditions. It's okay for some situations but not all (like a rangefiner is, to answer Irakly). At times, focus peaking in the viewfinder looked like the skies over Bagdad, and if you have slightly moving subjects or other subjects moving around the one you are trying to focus on it can get pretty ... uh ... busy. Just a bit of body sway by the shooter or the subject and stuff is in and out all over the place. I agree, it's not so hot on bright conditions either where the whole viewfinder is lighting up.
    Quite agree - set it to low in bright conditions - and it's often still too much. Try taking a tree in bright daylight! . . but focusing on the screen isn't much trouble then anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    BUT ... big BUT ... I did not experience focus peaking in an EFV ... which may make a difference as opposed to holding the camera so you can see the rear LCD like the NEX5. So, my comments are tempered by that until I get a chance to use FP with a EVP.
    Well, the LCD in low light doesn't work at all - because the sparkles are so sparse - definitely it's an EVF trick
    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    I don't think shooting video is quite the same BTW. You can get away with a lot at 30 fps.

    To each their own ... I had a lot more success shooting the 0.95 by framing, zoom focusing and immediately shooting which the camera lets you do. But that takes practice also That would also be a lot easier if it was happening in the viewfinder.

    -Marc
    Can't do that . . . boggles my brain!

    Well, I think you should try it in a viewfinder before writing it off - I've loved using it with the Noctilux, and got a good hit rate too.

    I'm not suggesting that it's everyone's cup of tea . . . but I'm equally sure that it isn't nobody's! Try it in an EVF before you write it off.

    all the best

    Just this guy you know

  16. #66
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: new camera

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    No worries, Jono.
    Good Oh - no offence was meant.
    all the best

    Just this guy you know

  17. #67
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: new camera

    Quote Originally Posted by lowep View Post
    cash-sapping juggernaut never sleeps

    Go ahead and sap I say -- as long as it isn't my money, at least not yet - since if this feeding frenzy continues sooner or later some player will have to come up with a new full frame mirrorless interchangeable-lens camera (apart from the venerable but too expensive Leica M9) just to get ahead of the pack.

    Wouldn't that be nice?

    Meanwhile
    Yep, it would be nice ... and hopefully worth the wait. Meanwhile, I get along quite well with what I already have ... and am "entertaining myself" by improving my lighting skills and gear ... which is yet another black hole to pound cash into ... but at least I can actually see the improvements

    -Marc

  18. #68
    Senior Member CharlesK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    730
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: new camera

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    IMO, being wary of all the hype is a good thing Charles.

    However, I do agree that on paper this looks to be a serious tool with just the right spread of AF focal lengths for a camera of this type, at a reasonable "working-man's price." Simple, clean and well positioned. BTW, that french article seems to indicate that the 60/2.5 (90mm), was a macro.

    Then it'll all come down to how well the ergo's work in real-world situations, how well the AF works in conditions where a camera of this type tends to be used, the optics and of course what the files look like ... especially wide open in mid to higher ISOs. I'll leave the beta testing of all that to others.

    I remain subjectively unimpressed with any of the APSc compact camera's files despite being in the hands of some darned good photographers. To my eye the cameras appear to lag the talents of the users.

    I also freely admit to no longer being among the "adapt a any lens to a anemic sized camera", nor being a fan of stuff like focus peaking which only seem to work with a high degree of accuracy in lighting conditions where you probably don't need it.

    Personally, I'm not buying anything, especially any systems camera like this until the Fat Lady sings at Photokina in September. For the time being, I've side stepped the techno-juggernaut in favor of other ways of improving my work which are less ... uh ... financially eroding. This relentless stream of incremental stuff is like being nibbled to death by ducks

    -Marc
    I'm with you here Marc, money and efforts are better invested in improving one's technique and skills, rather than buying newest and latest items that appear Though I do think this year, we will see some interesting innovations, that will challenge the way we do photograph. At the moment, I have the option to see whether the X-Pro1 stacks up before I purchase.

    I do have the NEX 5N, and I understand it is a great camera with excellent IQ, but the ergonomics have not gelled for me. If I have the choice of picking up a M9 or NEX 5N, the M9 wins every time. This of course is not to take away from every one else, that have demonstrated great shots and are enjoying the NEX series.
    Charles Kalnins
    Tallai, Queensland Australia.

    http://kalnins.zenfolio.com

  19. #69
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Essex UK
    Posts
    71
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: new camera

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Focus peaking because it is contrast based is no different than the high contrast/sharpness setting trick I used in a Panasonic G1 a few years back.

    As a G1 owner May I trouble you to ask what your G1 trick was?

    Thanks Phil

  20. #70
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,604
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: new camera

    Phil:

    Simple. Increase the contrast to the highest (you could also increase the sharpness to the max for a good measure). Put the film mode in dynamic B&W (color is also OK once you get used to this).

    Focused area will be brittle shiny with a rainbow color. This is a subtle effect. Best tried and perfected indoors. I actually use this on the swivel LCD to my advantage. It may not work with every adapted lens! Since my standard was a Computar 25/1.3 and that is a very contrasty lens, it was just fine.

  21. #71
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    2,338
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    52

    Re: new camera

    I use an M9 or an Xpan or a Mamiya 7-11 - for the "compositonal elbow" room the rangefinder view provides - no SLR or EVF camera provides for wider than frame viewing therefore the rangefinders will always have their compositonal advantages in people photography.

    After a few weeks with a Nex5N and its OVF I am well aware of its limitations as well as its strengths.

    I would say one of the strengths of this camera is the outstanding accurate and fast confirmation that focus peeking delivers when using manual focus lenses.

    I can confirm FWIW that critical focusing of things like eye catch-lights is achieved much much more easily using focus peeking and the Nex5N than my M9 - with the same lenses 50/35 and 75 luxes - simply amazing.

    I have never been able to focus on a persons eye using ANY rangefinder and wide open fast glass ...unless I was positioned dead on and they were dead still and my technique was absolutely perfect - the Nex5N makes it an much easier task with much higher strike rates.

    For edge focusing ( typical rangefinder strategy ) - I think the Leica is as good as the Nex5N with OVF.

    If you love your Leicas like I do - you will have to find other reasons than focussing for a better shooting experience - fortunately there are many,.


    Pete

  22. #72
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Shashin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    4,501
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    141

    Re: new camera

    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesK View Post
    I'm with you here Marc, money and efforts are better invested in improving one's technique and skills, rather than buying newest and latest items that appear
    That's crazy talk. Naturally, the reason I don't have great images is that I don't have the perfect camera...yet.

    With an attitude like that, why come to GetDPI?


  23. #73
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: new camera

    Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    That's crazy talk. Naturally, the reason I don't have great images is that I don't have the perfect camera...yet.

    With an attitude like that, why come to GetDPI?

    Because there are some really good shooters posting on the lighting forum here ... or at least starting to post there.

    -Marc

  24. #74
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    4,043
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1253

    Re: new camera

    "I'm with you here Marc, money and efforts are better invested in improving one's technique and skills, rather than buying newest and latest items that appear "

    like the Lula linked "Master Level" photo workshop in Namibia; looks great, but $16,000? plus airfare

  25. #75
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,604
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: new camera

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Because there are some really good shooters posting on the lighting forum here ... or at least starting to post there.

    -Marc
    Interesting. I should take a look.

  26. #76
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Shashin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    4,501
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    141

    Re: new camera

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Because there are some really good shooters posting on the lighting forum here ... or at least starting to post there.

    -Marc
    But what brand of lighting equipment are they using...





    BYW, thanks for the head up--I love symmetry.

  27. #77
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,604
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: new camera

    To bring it back to topic..

    ..more leaks...

    http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/new-...m-london-time/

    I hope it lives up to the hype:
    And the new M-mount adapter will allow current Leica lens owners to buy a cheap M9 alike camera that will probaby beat the M9 image quality (if the Fuji marketing guys are telling us the truth about the new sensor being better than any current FF sensor).
    AFAIC, I would look forward to making an X-Pro to pen F adapter.

  28. #78
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: new camera

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    I would say one of the strengths of this camera is the outstanding accurate and fast confirmation that focus peeking delivers when using manual focus lenses.

    I can confirm FWIW that critical focusing of things like eye catch-lights is achieved much much more easily using focus peeking and the Nex5N than my M9 - with the same lenses 50/35 and 75 luxes - simply amazing.

    snip a bit

    If you love your Leicas like I do - you will have to find other reasons than focussing for a better shooting experience - fortunately there are many,.


    Pete
    Hi Pete - You've put it so well.
    As you say, there are many reasons!

    I really hope this new Fuji is a roaring success - but it'll have to be pretty good for me to go there!

    Just this guy you know

  29. #79
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    k-hawinkler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The "Land of Enchantment"
    Posts
    3,300
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: new camera

    Quote Originally Posted by Rawfa View Post
    This could be the first real chalenge to the NEX sensor, though if I had to guess Id say this camera will be around us$1800 body only. Anyway, Id happy enough if the 3 primes that Fuji is also releasing can be adapted to the NEX system with no vignetting or weird distortions
    How would that be possible?

    Flange focal distance:
    Fuji X-Mount 17.7 mm
    Sony E-mount 18 mm

    Unless the Fuji X-Pro 1 has a longer Flange focal distance than the NEX camera, of course.

    K-H.

  30. #80
    Senior Member stephengilbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Santa Monica, CA
    Posts
    2,275
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: new camera

    Which Sony camera is this thread about? I've lost track.

  31. #81
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    belge
    Posts
    1,492
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: new camera

    Quote Originally Posted by stephengilbert View Post
    Which Sony camera is this thread about? I've lost track.
    lol

  32. #82
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,604
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: new camera

    Perhaps one of the handful of the Ricoh GXR users could chime in-

    Apparently, the GXR also can peak the focus.

  33. #83
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    belge
    Posts
    1,492
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: new camera

    big question for me is what the shutter will be and how it sounds... silly, i know, but one of the reasons i am enamoured with the X100 is it is nearly silent. noise (audible) has been my bugbear since i started with rangefinders, starting with the Epson which was loud enough to wake the dead

    so if anybody reads something on that subject, sees a video, or hears it in person, please holler.

    ta

  34. #84
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,604
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: new camera

    Cam, The NEX-7 shutter isn't bad at all. I have the electronic first curtain (whatever they call it) on and it is only one snick. To me, it is a bit less than the Epson's loudness. When I had the big Canon 50/0.95 on it I really had to check the image review to see if I took a picture. Pretty quite.

    BTW, I hope for a true electronic shutter in one of these cams. That would be something.

    Incidentally...the GXR has it.

  35. #85
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    belge
    Posts
    1,492
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: new camera

    thank you, Vivek. good to know!

    as for the GXR, yes, it is beautifully quiet. i beta-tested it before it came out and was comparing it to my friend's M9 when we went out for a night's shooting. i think he was a wee bit jealous, lol

  36. #86
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    79
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: new camera

    http://photorumors.com/2012/01/07/fu...-leather-case/

    That's a nice looking flash. The weight spec of those lenses is really attractive. I have a preorder for the NEX 7 still waiting to get filled, but this camera makes it very hard to decide now. The only real sticking point for me is that the NEX system have OIS lenses.

  37. #87
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: new camera

    Quote Originally Posted by stephengilbert View Post
    Which Sony camera is this thread about? I've lost track.
    You got me banged to rights - apologies for my part in this discussion.

    New information is really interesting - lenses look delightfully small and light (summarit sized?). The camera itself is M9 sized (1mm shorter 3mm higher 1mm fatter). So finally Leica has direct competition for the M9.

    it'll be interesting to see whether punters find rangefinders / autofocus / live view / EVF / full frame / money most important!

    But I can't see why it's any kind of competition for a NEX7 - which is quite a different proposition.

    Personally I think that the marketplace will expand accordingly, and that both companies will do well from it.

    Excellent!

    Just this guy you know

  38. #88
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Shashin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    4,501
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    141

    Re: new camera

    Quote Originally Posted by sflxn View Post
    I have a preorder for the NEX 7 still waiting to get filled, but this camera makes it very hard to decide now. The only real sticking point for me is that the NEX system have OIS lenses.
    But I can't see why it's any kind of competition for a NEX7 - which is quite a different proposition.

  39. #89
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,604
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: new camera

    Lens prices and specs are leaked as well!

    35/1.4 and 18/2 for US $499/each and the 60/2.4 at US $599/-.

  40. #90
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,623
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: new camera

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    I use an M9 or an Xpan or a Mamiya 7-11 - for the "compositonal elbow" room the rangefinder view provides - no SLR or EVF camera provides for wider than frame viewing therefore the rangefinders will always have their compositonal advantages in people photography.

    After a few weeks with a Nex5N and its OVF I am well aware of its limitations as well as its strengths.

    I would say one of the strengths of this camera is the outstanding accurate and fast confirmation that focus peeking delivers when using manual focus lenses.

    I can confirm FWIW that critical focusing of things like eye catch-lights is achieved much much more easily using focus peeking and the Nex5N than my M9 - with the same lenses 50/35 and 75 luxes - simply amazing.

    I have never been able to focus on a persons eye using ANY rangefinder and wide open fast glass ...unless I was positioned dead on and they were dead still and my technique was absolutely perfect - the Nex5N makes it an much easier task with much higher strike rates.

    For edge focusing ( typical rangefinder strategy ) - I think the Leica is as good as the Nex5N with OVF.

    If you love your Leicas like I do - you will have to find other reasons than focussing for a better shooting experience - fortunately there are many,.


    Pete
    Hi Pete,
    seems experience with focus peaking differ from person to person. I am one of those who does like it but I can focus the M9 at least as fast and more accurate, no problem to focus the M9 at f1.4 on the eyes (as long as there is not much movement and the lenses are calibrated)
    Tom

  41. #91
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: new camera

    I'm gonna shut up about focus peaking since I've only tried it with the NEX5 ... and based on Pete's experience with the 5N with EFV and Jono's similar experience, keep it shut until I get a chance to try it that way ... which will probably be never, unless someone I know gets one.

    My twelve step sponsor won't let me buy any more little APSc cameras

    -Marc

  42. #92
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,604
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: new camera

    More leaks...

    http://photorumors.com/2012/01/08/tw...ra/#more-17694

    It appears that the lenses can be operated independent of the camera!

  43. #93
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: new camera

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    I'm gonna shut up about focus peaking since I've only tried it with the NEX5 ... and based on Pete's experience with the 5N with EFV and Jono's similar experience, keep it shut until I get a chance to try it that way ... which will probably be never, unless someone I know gets one.

    My twelve step sponsor won't let me buy any more little APSc cameras

    -Marc

    Well, my twelve step sponsor is one level down from yours . . . . it's no more little small sensor cameras for me . . hence no X10 or V1 (I think m4/3 is allowable but don't have one). I still think that APSc is a reasonable compromise.

    But with respect to focus peaking - many of us (you especially) have spent years and years honing our skills with a rangefinder - it would be strange if it didn't take a little practice with a different method.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    More leaks...

    http://photorumors.com/2012/01/08/tw...ra/#more-17694

    It appears that the lenses can be operated independent of the camera!
    HI Vivek
    Price and everything looks good . . . size I'm not sure about - the camera is almost exactly the size of an M9 - that makes those lenses reasonably chunky I'd say. Like the X100 it's a really desirable object - Fuji's excellent after sales service doesn't hurt either - I think they'll do really well with it.

    Just this guy you know

  44. #94
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,604
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: new camera

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    HI Vivek
    Price and everything looks good . . . size I'm not sure about - the camera is almost exactly the size of an M9 - that makes those lenses reasonably chunky I'd say. Like the X100 it's a really desirable object - Fuji's excellent after sales service doesn't hurt either - I think they'll do really well with it.

    Indeed, Jono. The M9 is untouchable (lack of chunky lenses) for that reason and more!

  45. #95
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Manchester/Jerusalem
    Posts
    2,652
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    290

    Re: new camera

    Sorry but that has got to be the most georgous looking combo of camera and lenses I've yet seen in the digital age (Leica M don't count cause I can't see anything past the price )
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

    Website: http://www.timelessjewishart.com

  46. #96
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,604
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: new camera

    What is more fascinating besides the shutter speed dial (!) is the cable release screw slot!

    Given the registry (17.7mm) and the focal plane mark on the body, it isn't chunky but the right size.

  47. #97
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: new camera

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    What is more fascinating besides the shutter speed dial (!) is the cable release screw slot!

    Given the registry (17.7mm) and the focal plane mark on the body, it isn't chunky but the right size.
    Both the X100 and X10 have the same cable release.

  48. #98
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,604
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: new camera

    Thanks. I never bothered look at those seriously.

  49. #99
    Senior Member Lars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sunnyvale, California
    Posts
    1,811
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    19

    Re: new camera

    Price in Europe for body + 35 was listed as 1300 somewhere, that should indicate about $1100-1300 in US?
    Edit: that was in the French article posted earlier in this thread.
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

  50. #100
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Manchester/Jerusalem
    Posts
    2,652
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    290

    Re: new camera

    Quote Originally Posted by Lars Vinberg View Post
    Price in Europe for body + 35 was listed as 1399 somewhere, that should indicate about $1200-1400 in US?
    Rub it in why don't you...
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

    Website: http://www.timelessjewishart.com

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •