The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

new Fuji X Pro1 camera

retow

Re: new camera

What is all this negativism about? Here's exactly the camera that many of us have been hoping for, the natural next step after the X100. No AA filter, 6 colour sensor with random photosites (to avoid moiré), fast prime lenses, hybrid viewfinder (the optical part changing with the focal length) and with the image quality that Fuji normally digs out of their coffers, photographers will probably be able to take great images with this camera. In many ways, it looks like what the Contax G2 could have developed into if it had been continued into the digital era.

If it's available in February or November, who cares? Fuji seems to have developed a camera that I really, really want, and until I get one, I'll have the pleasure of looking forward to it (and I do have a couple of other cameras that I can use in the meantime) :)
+1

retow

What is all this negativism about? Here's exactly the camera that many of us have been hoping for, the natural next step after the X100. No AA filter, 6 colour sensor with random photosites (to avoid moiré), fast prime lenses, hybrid viewfinder (the optical part changing with the focal length) and with the image quality that Fuji normally digs out of their coffers, photographers will probably be able to take great images with this camera. In many ways, it looks like what the Contax G2 could have developed into if it had been continued into the digital era.

If it's available in February or November, who cares? Fuji seems to have developed a camera that I really, really want, and until I get one, I'll have the pleasure of looking forward to it (and I do have a couple of other cameras that I can use in the meantime) :)
Wonderful
It looks gorgeous - but I can't think of a good reason to want one. . . .
erm. . . . aaah . . . .

No good - (except that it's gorgeous).

I bet it has really good scene modes :p
It's not for Leica-M owners, but for those not or no longer willing or able to afford Leica fetish prices, the Fuji looks phenomenal. Don't get me wrong I have an M9 and MP and a number of Leica M-lenses and love them all. But at today's Leica price levels I'd look at the meanwhile attractive alternatives from competition if I wanted to build a compact highest IQ system from scratch.

Rawfa

I was also intrigued by the "6 colour sensor with random photosites" comment. Is this anything similar to the way foveon sensors work?

V

Vivek

Is this anything similar to the way foveon sensors work?
As I understand (I understand very little of anything! :lecture:)it, no.
But the results could be comparable- at least that is the objective.

Amin

I think this camera is going to pull a lot of people away from the NEX-7. Looks like a real winner.

Agnius

Fuji is stoking the fire... and doing a good job! But once the product gets close to shipping, competition will leak something "even better" - and there we go again... Marketing games.

The big question is can I mount my M lenses on it (a la NEX series)? Then it would be a definite "poor man's M9".

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

Why Amin?
It's a completely different thing isn't it?
Not for me, it isn't. The alternatives that I would consider are the Ricoh, the Sony, the Fuji and whatever Olympus comes up with. From an ownership point of view, it boils down to image quality, ergonomics and what-camera-would-I-like-to-be-seen-on-the-street-with (not necessarily in that sequence :D ).

Adapting the Fujinon lenses to the a NEX is more or less out of the question. In addition to the electronic challenge, the Fuji's flange distance is only 17.7 mm while it's 18mm on the Sony. m4/3 is 19.25 mm.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

Fuji is stoking the fire... and doing a good job! But once the product gets close to shipping, competition will leak something "even better" - and there we go again... Marketing games.
It's another ballgame. While Sony is there to conquer the total market, Fuji has a tradition of making cameras that are a bit off the beaten track. The last 10 years, there have been a number of "off-beat" Fujis (S1-S5, Natura, Klasse, the 6x7 folder, X100, X10 etc.). Commercially, they don't always succeed, at least not from a global perspective, but they are strong in the Japanese market and sometimes they hit a home run, like with the X100. Here in Bangkok, I keep getting surprised by the places I see the X100 (and X10) for sale. It's everywhere.

They are also very strong on service and customer care here and in other Asian markets. They had their own walk-in service department in Bangkok long before Nikon had one here, and it's excellent.

V

Vivek

Adapting the Fujinon lenses to the a NEX is more or less out of the question. In addition to the electronic challenge, the Fuji's flange distance is only 17.7 mm while it's 18mm on the Sony. m4/3 is 19.25 mm.

It isn't that straightforward to dismiss it. I use two fabulous Fujinon lenses on the NEX (they are even usable for the m4/3rds). Both are c-mount lenses with a registry of only 17.52mm.

Shashin

I think this camera is going to pull a lot of people away from the NEX-7. Looks like a real winner.
If legacy glass can easily be mounted on this body, I think you are right. But the devil is in the details and the X100 was not without problems. There seem to be some pretty big inovation in this model which don't always work out as planned. If Fuji can learn from the X100 and X10, they may be able to be a very large player in the enthusiasts market--this is not going to be big in the consumer market in general, but Fuji likes making odd-ball models like this and knows that market well, at least in Japan.

With the great interest in the Fuji X cameras and the Nex 7, I wonder what Olympus and Panasonic will do. Both companies have had huge hits to their camera business and maybe that do not feel they can take a chance or perhaps they are looking at more a general consumer market and will simply not be tempted to challenge that section.

But finally camera companies are starting to make interesting products.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member

I am sure my emotional “must have the latest and greatest “ will win out but for an M9 owner ...exactly why. Fuji really gets it IMHO and if it follows the x100 it will have few things to fault in IQ . They will surely produce great lenses and the system will be tuned to minimize all the color cast nonsense . Fuji understands color as well as any of these companies and has the capabilities in house . Handling ,menus etc I expect will not be what I want ..but probably can be overcome . The high ISO should reach 3200 for black and white . But ..its a direct overlap to the M9 27 thru 90 FOV ..three lens and two bodies ..the street shooting would be covered .

But it doesn t appear to extend the range of an M system as the NEX 5/7 appear to be doing.

Amin

Why Amin?
It's a completely different thing isn't it?
-Similar cost
-Similar size (I'm guessing)
-Hybrid viewfinder
-More appealing lens lineup (on paper for most people)
-More appealing controls (aperture control on lens)

If you didn't have an M9, couldn't afford one, and had to pick between the NEX and this Fuji system, which would you pick?

I'm not sure which I'd pick, because I love a good OVF, love a good 35mm equivalent lens, and believe that Sony is committed and on the right track. However, it isn't an easy choice, so it stands to reason that a good number of people will be pulled towards the Fuji camp away from the NEX-7.

Terry

-Similar cost
-Similar size (I'm guessing)
-Hybrid viewfinder
-More appealing lens lineup (on paper for most people)
-More appealing controls (aperture control on lens)

If you didn't have an M9, couldn't afford one, and had to pick between the NEX and this Fuji system, which would you pick?

I'm not sure which I'd pick, because I love a good OVF, love a good 35mm equivalent lens, and believe that Sony is committed and on the right track. However, it isn't an easy choice, so it stands to reason that a good number of people will be pulled towards the Fuji camp away from the NEX-7.
While having a couple of good primes are very nice, I also like having zooms.

My single opinion certainly doesn't mean that there isn't a market for a prime only camera just look at the M9. However, if you asked everyone buying the NEX 7 would you still have bought/plan to buy it if you could only use primes, I bet there are a bunch of people that would say no.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

While having a couple of good primes are very nice, I also like having zooms.

My single opinion certainly doesn't mean that there isn't a market for a prime only camera just look at the M9. However, if you asked everyone buying the NEX 7 would you still have bought/plan to buy it if you could only use primes, I bet there are a bunch of people that would say no.
People do buy the X100, and with that camera you can't even change the prime. There are even some people (according to what I've heard :rolleyes: ) who buy the M9, even if it doesn't AF and even if it costs 4-5 times as much. This new camera seems to be perfectly placed between the NEX 7 and the M9.

Terry

People do buy the X100, and with that camera you can't even change the prime. There are even some people (according to what I've heard :rolleyes: ) who buy the M9, even if it doesn't AF and even if it costs 4-5 times as much. This new camera seems to be perfectly placed between the NEX 7 and the M9.
I agree.