Site Sponsors
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 150 of 768

Thread: new Fuji X Pro1 camera

  1. #101
    Senior Member Lars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sunnyvale, California
    Posts
    1,811
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    19

    Re: new camera

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rubinstein View Post
    Rub it in why don't you...
    Hehe well I just moved to California so I think some rubbing in is mandated.
    OTOH some of the sales tax paid in Europe will hopefully benefit the tax payers, that's how I always felt about the 25% sales tax in Sweden. A bigger problem in Sweden in particular is the lack of competition leading to inflated before-tax prices on consumer goods.
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

  2. #102
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    776
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: new camera

    If this Fuji camera is larger and beefier than the NEX and GF/PN series, I'm interested. I absolutely hate the small camera fad. I'm sure a lot of people like that, but it's not for me. I simply don't feel comfortable holding a small body like the NEX, and it feels more unnatural once you attach a large lens to it. The Fuji Pro X1 holds some promise. I'll be at CES next week, so hopefully I'll get a chance to handle it.
    -Dragos
    Panasonic GH1/G1, Canon FTb(n)/F-1, Mamiya C330F/RB67 Pro SD, Chamonix 45N-2, Nikon F5 + Assorted Lenses

  3. #103
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: new camera

    Quote Originally Posted by photoSmart42 View Post
    I'll be at CES next week, so hopefully I'll get a chance to handle it.
    Promise to send us a report !!!

  4. #104
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: new camera

    Quote Originally Posted by Lars Vinberg View Post
    Price in Europe for body + 35 was listed as €1300 somewhere, that should indicate about $1100-1300 in US?
    Edit: that was in the French article posted earlier in this thread.
    That must be without VAT or something. Pricing in the US is said to be $1699

    It is down off of Amazon but.....

    http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2012/0...-x-pro-1-body/

  5. #105
    Senior Member Lars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sunnyvale, California
    Posts
    1,811
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    19

    Re: new camera

    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    That must be without VAT or something. Pricing in the US is said to be $1699

    It is down off of Amazon but.....

    http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2012/0...-x-pro-1-body/
    Yep it did sound a bit low. Still, if body+35 in Europe is 1300 euro and a single lens is 600 euro, then if proportions are the same in US then body+35 would cost $499 * 1300 / 600 = $1081. That's pretty far from $1699.

    Lots of if's - we'll know tomorrow.

    Edit: OK I saw the Amazon screenshot, $1700 body only. Ouch. It better be good.
    Last edited by Lars; 8th January 2012 at 17:30.
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

  6. #106
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Shashin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    4,499
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    141

    Re: new camera

    No distance scale on the lenses. Hope it is not focus by wire:

    http://photorumors.com/2012/01/08/tw...ntent=FaceBook

  7. #107
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    California/Thailand
    Posts
    1,206
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: new camera

    Quote Originally Posted by Lars Vinberg View Post
    Yep it did sound a bit low. Still, if body+35 in Europe is 1300 euro and a single lens is 600 euro, then if proportions are the same in US then body+35 would cost $499 * 1300 / 600 = $1081. That's pretty far from $1699.

    Lots of if's - we'll know tomorrow.

    Edit: OK I saw the Amazon screenshot, $1700 body only. Ouch. It better be good.
    I thought that was 1300 Euro, body only, Lars, not with the lens. But I surely don't know, and would expect typos and such anyway I guess. We'll soon see.

  8. #108
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    889
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: new camera

    Rather than start a new thread, I think Fuji is has been causing a large stir this and last year and although serious attempts are being made, only one thing comes to mind and that being they are making their mark in history but only so far as in good but not good enough. I hope the Fuji X Pro can exist in a series of cameras similar to DSLRs offering both APS-C and full frame sensors. I bought both the X100 and Fuji X10, I sold the X100 after a week but I still keep my X10, I just like it, although mostly used by my son under 2 yrs of age
    I don't mean that in a bad way, he just loves it as much as I do!

  9. #109
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Manchester/Jerusalem
    Posts
    2,652
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    290

    Re: new camera

    That price is high, way too high to be honest. Assuming the usual UK markup that puts this camera at substantially higher than the 5DII and the same price as the D700. Oh and close to double the price of a Nex 7.
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

    Website: http://www.timelessjewishart.com

  10. #110
    Member gDallasK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Argyll, Scotland
    Posts
    71
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: new camera

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post

    I can't really see it as competition for the NEX7.

    But probably I'm missing the point!
    For me that would depend on the Fuji's ability to produce good IQ with wide Leica lenses - something which doesn't seem to be a strength of the NEX7.

    Until we have some evidence of that my credit card is safe!

    Geoff
    Geoff
    Too many cameras, too little time.
    www.pbase.com/gDallasK

  11. #111
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hong Kong / Asia
    Posts
    524
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: new camera

    Time to speak my mind off !!!

    I very distinct DISLIKE Fuji's marketing of letting out "leaks" to attempt make us go wild in speculation and desire of a product before we can hold it in our hands and read fact test reviews (not the common ones that dream up that each new camera is magic better to make us go out and spend $$$). I guess I am lucky, because their marketing made the X100 to a turn off to me , or I would have been bummed while it was still warm in my hands from factory they come out with the X-Pro 1...

    I think wisest is to wait and see what Leica will eventually present to replace the X1 with and how tests and reviews will be. And not only that... made in Germany seem to contrary not be marketed to push you to again and again run out to buyt the latest each time. Leicas also tend to devaluate slower when time to sell..., I guess because they do not have 311 small cameras on market at one time like all other makers of small cameras...

    Wishful thinking is if Leica would make an X2 that is tad smaller than X1, FF sensor and that can accept both M lenses and one to three new AF lenses... all with a traditional rangefinder that lets me previsualize the scene on basis through the viewfinder with crisp and bright optics that show me the actual scene, and not a digital ^*%*^[email protected] representation of it which is not even what I will end up with after having processed it in RAW...

    Best regards
    Anders

  12. #112
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    belgïe
    Posts
    1,492
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: new camera

    more in-depth specs: http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/in-d...x-pro-1-specs/

    and, for those of that don't have a life (said with tongue firmly placed in cheek), the news conference: http://ces.cnet.com/8301-33371_1-573...day-12-p.m-pt/

  13. #113
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,867
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: new camera

    Quote Originally Posted by Anders_HK View Post
    Time to speak my mind off !!!

    I very distinct DISLIKE Fuji's marketing of letting out "leaks" to attempt make us go wild in speculation and desire of a product before we can hold it in our hands and read fact test reviews (not the common ones that dream up that each new camera is magic better to make us go out and spend $$$). I guess I am lucky, because their marketing made the X100 to a turn off to me , or I would have been bummed while it was still warm in my hands from factory they come out with the X-Pro 1...

    I think wisest is to wait and see what Leica will eventually present to replace the X1 with and how tests and reviews will be. And not only that... made in Germany seem to contrary not be marketed to push you to again and again run out to buyt the latest each time. Leicas also tend to devaluate slower when time to sell..., I guess because they do not have 311 small cameras on market at one time like all other makers of small cameras...

    Wishful thinking is if Leica would make an X2 that is tad smaller than X1, FF sensor and that can accept both M lenses and one to three new AF lenses... all with a traditional rangefinder that lets me previsualize the scene on basis through the viewfinder with crisp and bright optics that show me the actual scene, and not a digital ^*%*^[email protected] representation of it which is not even what I will end up with after having processed it in RAW...

    Best regards
    Anders
    +1

    but I fear this is wishful thinking

  14. #114
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: new camera

    Quote Originally Posted by cam View Post
    more in-depth specs: http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/in-d...x-pro-1-specs/

    and, for those of that don't have a life (said with tongue firmly placed in cheek), the news conference: http://ces.cnet.com/8301-33371_1-573...day-12-p.m-pt/
    Thanks Cam
    interesting points - significant to me are:

    Film Simulation Bracketing: (Any 3 type of film simulation selectable)
    Automatic scene recognition

    I see that they've continued the X100 principle of adding every conceivable function and facility.

    . . . and more to the point
    Viewfinder: Hybrid Multi Viewfinder, Optical viewfinder. Reverse Galilean viewfinder with electronic bright frame display
    Magnifications: 0.37x / 0.6x
    sounds like it's switchable rather than zooming

    Electronic viewfinder 0.47-in., approx.1,440,000-dots color LCD viewfinder that's versus 2,359,000 on the NEX - hmm

    Just this guy you know

  15. #115
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,848
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: new camera

    Yes, looks like switchable, so it's not ala Contax G; i.e., view outside the frames.

  16. #116
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,848
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: new camera

    Thanks for the link, cam!

  17. #117
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,601
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: new camera

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post

    Electronic viewfinder 0.47-in., approx.1,440,000-dots color LCD viewfinder that's versus 2,359,000 on the NEX - hmm

    Better, I think. As long as the optics side is not up to the performance of the actual (tiny) live view display, it is problematic. I am not a huge fan of the NEX-7' EVF. It is straining.

  18. #118
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    belgïe
    Posts
    1,492
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: new camera

    and, seemingly the press release (in italian): http://www.xtremehardware.it/news/fo...-201201096275/

    (still reading the translation so i can't comment)

    now up in english (using google translate): http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/ital...nlsation-tool/
    Last edited by cam; 9th January 2012 at 09:51.

  19. #119
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Shashin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    4,499
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    141

    Re: new camera

    The viewfinder magnification, equal to 0.37 for x and 0.60 x 18mm lens for the 35mm and 60mm, allows you to compose the scene with the brilliant optical clarity and sharpness of an image. The X-Pro1 also gives the freedom to manually set the focal distance and switch to another magnification of the viewfinder.

  20. #120
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Shashin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    4,499
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    141

    Re: new camera

    Quote Originally Posted by Anders_HK View Post
    I very distinct DISLIKE Fuji's marketing of letting out "leaks" to attempt make us go wild in speculation and desire of a product before we can hold it in our hands and read fact test reviews (not the common ones that dream up that each new camera is magic better to make us go out and spend $$$).
    You don't have to read it...

  21. #121
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    477
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: new camera

    I find these discussions fascinating as new cameras pop on the market. I often go back over the path I have taken in terms of equipment and find it interesting to note how seemingly simple things could have totally changed where I am today.

    For instance, had Nikon ever delivered a 16mm DX prime thus giving me my preferred WA experience of 24mm equivalent, I would most likely never have strayed. As it is, even though I still use my Nikon gear, I have not updated it for years (D200) and am unlikely to. The D700 was interesting but too much of a brick.

    For me these days, it is about the shooting experience; most of the cameras I look at are capable of producing the images I want. I spent the beginning of the prior week shooting with basically three lenses (even though I carried others). Most of the work (95%) was with 40mm equiv and 90mm equiv primes. Other times, it is my WA and the 40...

    My favorite wish list camera has always been Nikon creating an FM2d (or FM3d, not picky) with three primes and done.

    I find the Fuji fascinating for its potential. Who knows if it will pan out. Downsides for me are the 28mm equiv prime rather than a wider 24mm equiv, and the lack of a tilt screen (a techno feature I have truly enjoyed). On the positive side, having the "retro" styling with the controls right there, real aperture rings, hopefully real focus (please) rather than by wire, etc... Looks interesting. It would be even more interesting if the purported M lens capability will deliver a good image with the Cosina wide angles.

    Doug

  22. #122
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    EU
    Posts
    325
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: new camera

    Wow, this thing is slightly BIGGER (but lighter) than a Leica M9.

    http://www.dpreview.com/products/com...ducts=leica_m9

    Preview at Dpreview

    http://www.dpreview.com/previews/fujifilmxpro1/

  23. #123
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,848
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: new camera


  24. #124
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Carolina western foothills
    Posts
    1,860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: new camera

    Yes, just watched the Fuji Guys hands on. Very interesting camera.

  25. #125
    Senior Member bradhusick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA USA
    Posts
    2,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    53

    Re: new camera

    size comparison with M9 from dpreview

    both cameras with 50mm equiv. lenses
    Last edited by bradhusick; 17th July 2014 at 09:26.
    Brad Husick

  26. #126
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    College Place, WA.
    Posts
    790
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: new camera



    I like!

  27. #127
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,601
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: new camera

    Fuji disappoints.

    They retrowashed a live view cam that has the following:

    1. CDAF.

    2. Electronic info from the lenses aiding corrections for CA, aberrations and such.

    3. Fly by wire focus and aperture control of lenses.


  28. #128
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: new camera

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Fuji disappoints.

    They retrowashed a live view cam that has the following:

    1. CDAF.

    2. Electronic info from the lenses aiding corrections for CA, aberrations and such.

    3. Fly by wire focus and aperture control of lenses.

    What were you expecting for focus?
    Don't understand the problem with #2

  29. #129
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: new camera

    Well - interesting.
    I'm really pleased about the optical viewfinder - two magnifications with overlaid framelines - none of the dreaded Contax G masking - not so impressed with the feature bloat, and I'm not sure it's that attractive with the tilting left hand top.

    I guess the real test is the focusing . . . and what control you have over the focus point. I think it's a missed trick not to include focus-peaking as an option.

    Still, great looking camera - finally Leica have some competition!

    Just this guy you know

  30. #130
    Senior Member Rawfa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro
    Posts
    2,393
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: new camera

    check out the samples http://www.fujifilm.com/products/dig...sample_images/

    Look great (iso 1600 looks kind of muddy though), but until some actual user posts some samples I´ll keep my excitement level down.

    Is it me or do these lenses would look amazing on the NEX cameras

  31. #131
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,601
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: new camera

    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    What were you expecting for focus?
    Don't understand the problem with #2
    Not a clue! I blinked. Waste of time! Sorry!

  32. #132
    Senior Member Lars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sunnyvale, California
    Posts
    1,811
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    19

    Re: new camera

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    I think it's a missed trick not to include focus-peaking as an option.
    Focus peaking seems like an obvious idea to protect, wouldn't it? Nikon filed one patent in April 2011, there's also a Sony patent and a Canon patent that might be related - there's probably a bunch more from different manufacturers. So it's a licensing jungle.
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

  33. #133
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: new camera

    Quote Originally Posted by Lars Vinberg View Post
    Focus peaking seems like an obvious idea to protect, wouldn't it? Nikon filed one patent in April 2011, there's also a Sony patent and a Canon patent that might be related - there's probably a bunch more from different manufacturers. So it's a licensing jungle.
    Well it's used on video camera too. I'd have thought it was such muddy water that anyone could jump in without being noticed!

    On the other hand, as far as I'm concerned it's the only satisfactory way of manual focusing on an EVF, and if the OVF is like the X100 there really isn't an easy way to manually focus. Of course, anyone who can think up "film mode bracketing" in a "professional " camera can come up with anything.

    Just this guy you know

  34. #134
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,115
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: new camera

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Well it's used on video camera too. I'd have thought it was such muddy water that anyone could jump in without being noticed!

    On the other hand, as far as I'm concerned it's the only satisfactory way of manual focusing on an EVF, and if the OVF is like the X100 there really isn't an easy way to manually focus. Of course, anyone who can think up "film mode bracketing" in a "professional " camera can come up with anything.
    I think you are greatly shortchanging fuji here. If fujis main absurd sin in a pro camera is film bracketing mode I say they are doing quite well. Fom what I see the ergonomics are much better than any Sony nex by a mile for a professional photographer. To me it now boils down to how the camera responds to state changes.

    Look at the rest - fast pines out of the gate including a macro. No stupid dial canon wheel
    In the back. Shutter speed dial with lock button. External flash sync socket. The only view finder optical digital with info overlay.

  35. #135
    Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, WA
    Posts
    5,802
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    564

    Re: new camera

    Oh well, there went the New Year's Resolution not to buy any more digital gear this year!

    I love my X100. The X10 didn't do it for me. The X-Pro1 with 28/50/90 combo looks like it's EXACTLY what I want and would purchase from Leica with an M9-P if my camera piggy bank weren't so raided already from last year (not to mention that these are Leica lenses still made from unobtainium these days!). However, if the image quality matches my X100 then it's a no-brainer decision.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

    As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

  36. #136
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    132
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: new camera

    With all the hoopla, were are the comments about the focus speed/ability of this camera. Looking at the sample images on the Fuji website on this camera leaves me wanting more. Seems lacking in resolving power when compared with my Leica lenses.

  37. #137
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,115
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: new camera

    Quote Originally Posted by photohc View Post
    With all the hoopla, were are the comments about the focus speed/ability of this camera. Looking at the sample images on the Fuji website on this camera leaves me wanting more. Seems lacking in resolving power when compared with my Leica lenses.
    We won't see AF speeds or the like until reviewers get their samples or it ships. I agree, and from my view, that will be key to this camera, but it's impossible to tell now because nobody has one.

    - Raist

  38. #138
    Senior Member Lars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sunnyvale, California
    Posts
    1,811
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    19

    Re: new camera

    Quote Originally Posted by photohc View Post
    Seems lacking in resolving power when compared with my Leica lenses.
    Compared to what other camera on the market? You can't always get what you want.
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

  39. #139
    Senior Member dhsimmonds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    904
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    20

    Re: new camera

    This morning the British Journal of Photography (BJP) have a report of Fujifilm's official unveling of the new X-1 Pro 1 with the headline "Fujifilm goes back to it's professional roots..." The BJP is of course a journal published since the end of the 19th century for pro photographers. So the camera is no longer a rumour!

    "The camera incorporates a new 16 MPX APS-C X trans CMOS brand new sensor design which needs no optical low pass filter and configured to offer a new colour array that is inspired by the random arrangement of fine film grain. The RGB pixels are arranged randomly in 6x6 pixel sets which helps to eliminate the fundamental cause of `moire and false colours, claim Fujifim."

    The specs go on to mention 6FPS, hybrid viewfinder (X100 type), when the new design Fujinon lenses are attached the VF automatically switch to support the focal length. (I assume from this that M mount lenses would not)

    The camera will be released in March and BJP understands that it will retail at £999 for the body and approx. £450-500 each for the lenses, which will incorporate metal barrels and aspherical lens arrangements.
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com

  40. #140
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,867
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: new camera

    Nice camera system!

    Despite of that I have already enough 16MP res cameras around me, so this is kind of a no go. Also if compared to M9 (which is FF) it is same size, so IMHO stretch goal not really met.

    Have fun

    Peter

  41. #141
    Senior Member Brian Mosley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,394
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: new camera

    I was looking forward to an exciting release from Fuji here, but must confess I'm really disappointed with the sample images I've seen...

    Everything I'd read about the new CFA, no AA filter design along with expectations of Fuji lens quality led me to expect ground breaking image quality for an APS-C sensor... just not seeing that yet.

    Oh well, the X100 still works great - and maybe we'll see that long awaited final firmware release given all the feedback which seems to have gone into the X-Pro 1.

    Cheers

    Brian

  42. #142
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: new camera

    While most everything on this camera is wait and see operational stuff, I think the BIG news here is the sensor and whether it actually works as advertised. The primary argument against CMOS has been the relatively aggressive AA filters, which if removed invites moiré.

    If for no other reason, I think Fuji is to be commended for this effort ... (hmmm, perhaps Fuji will be the source for Leica's M10 FF CMOS?)

    Good to see they have at least some basic pro oriented features to back-up the name ... like a freaking PC port and flush compensation wheel.

    To bad about the lack of a simple diopter adjustment ... here we go again! It was left very vague as to HOW you use correction lenses ... maybe you use M ones and they just couldn't say that in public.

    The initial pics posted are lackluster, but that always seems the case with a new camera.

    Personally, the camera is too complicated for me, and is APSC which I have no interest in ... but IF it could be set-up to ignore the jet-fighter cockpit stuff, and went to FF, and could also take M lenses ... they'd have my interest as an alternative second camera to buying two Ms for my work ... one with some decent AF lenses.

    Which begs the question as to what the image circle of these new lenses will be ... can they cover full frame? That will be an indicator as to future possibilities of this system. If for APSC only it would not bode well for "Pro" longevity. Changing bodies is already enough, having to change the lens system also is not very desirable.

    -Marc

  43. #143
    Subscriber Member kit laughlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Two suitcases and the latest MBA
    Posts
    1,334
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: new camera

    Well, from the DPR précis, the new Fuji flange-to-sensor allows pretty much any lens to be mounted on it, and they will be providing an adapter for Leica lenses specifically, AND any focal length can be dialled in via the menu to bring up the right bright lines in the finder. Brilliant—and if it has focus peaking as well, even better.

    [later] I realise I posted after only reading to end of page one. So, continuing: Focus peaking, as I have written about elsewhere, is THE mainstay of pro video, and (once set up) allows complete confidence in where the lens has been focussed. In the pro. video world, where up until recently all finders were BW, you have contrast, peaking amount, and brightness controls, and tweaking these allows shooting with confidence in low light. The lack of an on-camera dioptre adjustment is a pity, though; I often share cameras with assistants when working.

    In the meantime, I am experimenting with the much-less-attractive GXR M module:no AA filter and some seriously wide glass courtesy of Voigtlander. Fuji may have gone one better than no AA filter with the new array design, perhaps.

    My reason for cancelling my NEX 7 order was the problems with UWAs: I need these. The GXR A12 module does not seem to have these problems, and 12Mp is—12Mp; if high quality, enough for most work, even paying work.

    If Ricoh ever make a GXR with a full-frame sensor.... probably not technically possible but, one day, there will be a FF sensor camera that takes LTM or M mount lenses, with an accurate EVF with peaking, and when there is, I will be 100% satisfied, camera-wise.

    I have ordered an X-Pro 1 but only with the 'standard' lens and the M adapter. One day, a FF version; in the meantime, happy New Year to all, kl
    Last edited by kit laughlin; 10th January 2012 at 03:09.

  44. #144
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    777
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: new camera

    Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    Oh well, there went the New Year's Resolution not to buy any more digital gear this year!

    I love my X100. The X10 didn't do it for me. The X-Pro1 with 28/50/90 combo looks like it's EXACTLY what I want and would purchase from Leica with an M9-P if my camera piggy bank weren't so raided already from last year (not to mention that these are Leica lenses still made from unobtainium these days!). However, if the image quality matches my X100 then it's a no-brainer decision.
    I MUST resist. I must resist. One of the joys of the X100 is that it is a fixed lens so Lens Buying Addiction is impossible and this is, in many ways, so liberating. The focal lengths announced so far do look attractive but I know from bitter experience that I am too lazy to take loads of lenses out, let alone change them often in the field. I *used* to do so and in fact this camera reminds me of my Mamiya 7.

    I suppose, if nothing else, it would be attractive with just the standard lens and I could try to pretend it wasn't interchangeable.

    No, I must resist, I have only had the X100 for 8 months ...

    Lee

  45. #145
    Senior Member dhsimmonds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    904
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    20

    Re: new camera

    I have just seen this link: http://www.fujifilm.ca/products/digi...s/page_02.html

    We need to see some more and better images. Why does it happen so often that early published images with new cameras are so lack lustre these days!

    Wait until after March, Jono will be sure to get one and then we will see what it it can really do!
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com

  46. #146
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: new camera

    Quote Originally Posted by dhsimmonds View Post
    I have just seen this link: http://www.fujifilm.ca/products/digi...s/page_02.html

    We need to see some more and better images. Why does it happen so often that early published images with new cameras are so lack lustre these days!

    Wait until after March, Jono will be sure to get one and then we will see what it it can really do!
    I wouldn't count on it. Jono has entered a 12 step program after an intervention staged by friends and family.

    I believe he was approached by the Producers of the "Hoarders" TV program, but was bumped by Guy Mancusio.



    -Marc

  47. #147
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    2,338
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    52

    Re: new camera

    Quote Originally Posted by wjlapier View Post


    I like!
    I like too!!

    DANG the hood on the lens is exactly like the hoods on my XPan lenses. Who made the Xpan lenses? Fuji did. Who made the XPan? Fuji did.

    I read somewhere that the only company which Canon really fears is ...Fuji - why> because Fuji really knows how to make sensors...my expereince with the Xpan and H series lenses is that Fuji also knows how to make great lenses.

    now if only Fuji would connect the dots and bring out a digital Xpan THAT would bring something truly exciting to the market...something that is differentiated and not me too - something that has both landscape and editorial shooting and usage capability


    something that would see a couple of the elephant gun digi backs I use re- placed faster than I can yell at my trading dask "hit the bid - get me out .dump that stock or I'll sack your arse!"


    *probably off topic but I am hoping/wishing one day maybe..

  48. #148
    Workshop Member glenerrolrd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Jupiter FL/Atlanta GA
    Posts
    2,279
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: new camera

    Have no doubt that this system will be spectacular .. But so far its just a better priced alternative to the M9 . (OK not a small feat). It will be better in some areas and not as good in others . Its essentially the same size as the M and with the 3 lenses (which would cover 90% of my shooting) equal . So its not a low priced small take anywhere camera . The x100 and the x10 both are alternatives that are closer to that specification.

    Three areas with the M have always been a problem for me .....how will the X Pro 1 address them :

    1. Ability to mount and focus longer lenses. Like the Nex 7 will the XP1 have focus peaking or something similar to allow accurate focusing with lens in the 90-180 FOV range. Nex 7 has several strong supporters that say YES.

    2. High ISO performance ....the NEX 7 doesn t cut it here from my research . In fact its probably no better than the M9 which is marginal above 1000. (yes you can use it but you lose color and dynamic range right along with fighting noise ..so it cuts your hit ratio ...). The Fuji sensor looks reasonable 16MP/APSC it should on paper be about 1 EV better than the M9 . That will not be enough to matter ... ISO 1600 with a 1.4 lens barely cuts it at night ..fine unless something moves .

    3. Flash ...possibilities look decent with a small integrated flash . This could be great if it can run off the camera battery .

    If your primary system is MF or a DSLR then the XP1 looks like a great new system . If your bread and butter is an M9 system and the Leica glass it needs to provide some incremental benefit that extends the M system .

    Cost will of course make the decision in many cases as the M bodies approach $10K and the lenses are often over $5K . I am really hoping for Leica to produce an alternative at Photokina.

  49. #149
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,867
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: new camera

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    I like too!!

    DANG the hood on the lens is exactly like the hoods on my XPan lenses. Who made the Xpan lenses? Fuji did. Who made the XPan? Fuji did.

    I read somewhere that the only company which Canon really fears is ...Fuji - why> because Fuji really knows how to make sensors...my expereince with the Xpan and H series lenses is that Fuji also knows how to make great lenses.

    now if only Fuji would connect the dots and bring out a digital Xpan THAT would bring something truly exciting to the market...something that is differentiated and not me too - something that has both landscape and editorial shooting and usage capability


    something that would see a couple of the elephant gun digi backs I use re- placed faster than I can yell at my trading dask "hit the bid - get me out .dump that stock or I'll sack your arse!"


    *probably off topic but I am hoping/wishing one day maybe..
    Well,

    Fuji also makes the H-System lenses, which IMHO are pretty much on same level than Leica S-System lenses.

    So the lenses are not what concerns me, it is the camera ....

  50. #150
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    251
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: new camera

    I'm a sucker for a well turned out lens hood with flat sides.

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    I like too!!.........I read somewhere that the only company which Canon really fears is ...Fuji - why> because Fuji really knows how to make sensors...my expereince with the Xpan and H series lenses is that Fuji also knows how to make great lenses..........
    Through this discussion, that's what I've been thinking. Earlier, Jono suggested the NEX was a Chameleon camera, which I took to mean a useful camera platform for a wide range, make, and style of lenses. This Fuji camera looks interesting to me because Fuji made fabulous large format, and medium format lenses, and this camera gives a platform for their undoubted lens making talent. I used a Fuji 6x9 roll-film camera for quite a while, and it's lens was the equal of any of the roll-film images I made using my Sneider, Mamiya [7], Nikon [Plaubel Makina], Zeiss, or Rodenstock lenses.

    This camera looks a serious development for Fuji, though all the usual caveats apply; wait for proper tests of it's capability rather than taking speculations on trust. I love the idea of a selectable zoom finder [I would have loved one in the 'M'], but I'm puzzled by the absence of an [essential for me] variable dioptre correction........... Still; ..... nice lens hood.

    Fuji could well be back in the game of making cameras for artists.

    .............. Chris
    Last edited by Chris C; 10th January 2012 at 09:23.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •