Site Sponsors
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: new Fuji X Pro1 camera

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: new camera

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    I like too!!

DANG the hood on the lens is exactly like the hoods on my XPan lenses. Who made the Xpan lenses? Fuji did. Who made the XPan? Fuji did.
    Actually this appears to be a metal hood, which would make it even better than the Xpan plastic hood. From the fujifilm-x website: "Precision-Milled Metal Lens Hood (included with each lens)".

BTW full marketing blurb here, in case you missed it:
    http://fujifilm-x.com/x-pro1/en/
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by glenerrolrd View Post
    If your primary system is MF or a DSLR then the XP1 looks like a great new system . If your bread and butter is an M9 system and the Leica glass it needs to provide some incremental benefit that extends the M system .

Cost will of course make the decision in many cases as the M bodies approach $10K and the lenses are often over $5K . I am really hoping for Leica to produce an alternative at Photokina.
    Personally, I use my primary system, so a second system simply sits unused. The idea of a second system just turns me into a camera collector as I rarely use it for important work and simply get snapshots with it and maybe the occasional video.

But I think cost is a more compelling reason for the camera to do well. There is obviously a demand for this type of form factor (I will not call this a rangefinder) and Leica is out of reach for many folks and the more reasonable options are not ideal. I think Fuji has done a fine job of bring this type of simple camera to an appreciative audience, yet still a limited market--the other mirrorless systems are really trying for a broader consumer base where Fuji is looking at enthusiasts.

But like you, if I had a M9, I could not see using this except perhaps as a backup body for when the elephant steps on my camera or an economical second body, perhaps for longer focal lengths. But I would want to make sure the images have a similar feel (color, contrast, etc.) so they will blend in a body of work. If I was starting out to put together a primary system, I would certainly look at this as a possible choice instead of a Leica or DSLR, especially since a Leica budget could go a long way with this system.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Call me a heathen, but I prefer plastic lens hoods. They are better protection for a lens, lighter, and easier to take care of and replace.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    Call me a heathen, but I prefer plastic lens hoods. They are better protection for a lens, lighter, and easier to take care of and replace.
    Heathen.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Why better protection?
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Post Thanks / Like

One disappointing thing is the lack of an adjustable diopter correction in the viewfinder...you'll have to get the old screw-in kind to adjust for your vision.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Vinberg View Post
    "Precision-Milled Metal Lens Hood (included with each lens)".
    After some time with similar Contax lens hoods, that can be loosely translated as . . . .

Dented!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    After some time with similar Contax lens hoods, that can be loosely translated as . . . .

Dented!

i love dented!

(coming from someone who has cracked a plastic hood )

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Dented!

Better than cracked. Deforming metal absorbs shock.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Vivek posted a link in a separate thread to a low preorder price for body+35 at Expansys, here is the link to the UK listing (£1079):
    http://www.expansys.com/fujifilm-x-p...-f-1-4-227647/

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

BJP published a figure of £999 which is probably the dealer price after the early buyers have gone! Also £450-500 for the lenses which makes it kind of interesting....if there is any left after the rush!

I wonder if Fuji UK's dealers have a buy back policy for X100's! Which also makes me wonder how long it will be before the X Pro 2 is on sale!
    Last edited by dhsimmonds; 10th January 2012 at 12:40.
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Vivek posted a link in a separate thread to a low preorder price for body+35 at Expansys, here is the link to the UK listing (£1079):
    http://www.expansys.com/fujifilm-x-p...-f-1-4-227647/
    i heard these guys were dodgy... anybody dealt with them?

are they authorised dealers?

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Shashin;380014]Personally, I use my primary system, so a second system simply sits unused. The idea of a second system just turns me into a camera collector as I rarely use it for important work and simply get snapshots with it and maybe the occasional video.

Once you have established your primary system (hopefully one that fits your typical requirements ).....everything becomes a question of why? Then the systems are evaluated in terms of what else they can bring to your equipment capabilities . My primary system is built around 2 m9 bodies .

But I also have Nikon D3s/x and the big telephotos ....not because they are better than my M9s ..but because they provide capabilities I feel I need to shoot surfing,polo,baseball,tennis etc.

Same logic for MF ....you can shoot great landscapes with an M9 but MF will generally produce better results .

Certainly a fair POV to contrast the XPRO 1 to all the usual and unusual alternatives and work towards a solution as a primary system (it looks like a winner) ...my comments were more related to the discussion of the Nex 7 and the use of a XP1 as an addition to an M kit .

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rubinstein View Post
    Why better protection?
    When in an impact, the tabs on my bayonet mounted lens hood on my Mamiya 6 broke, absorbing some of the force. The camera came out OK. Whether it would have survived with a metal hood, I don't know, but I am glad to sacrifice a hood for the camera/lens. I have certainly banged around a camera around my neck with a plastic hood on and bounces nicely. I have just come to appreciate them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cam View Post
    i heard these guys were dodgy... anybody dealt with them?

are they authorised dealers?
    I have, for the last 10 years. Personal electronics and such though, no photo gear. Seems to be a serious firm but perhaps not a pro photo dealer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have, for the last 10 years. Personal electronics and such though, no photo gear. Seems to be a serious firm but perhaps not a pro photo dealer.
    thank you.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

[QUOTE=glenerrolrd;380092]
    Personally, I use my primary system, so a second system simply sits unused. The idea of a second system just turns me into a camera collector as I rarely use it for important work and simply get snapshots with it and maybe the occasional video.

Once you have established your primary system (hopefully one that fits your typical requirements ).....everything becomes a question of why? Then the systems are evaluated in terms of what else they can bring to your equipment capabilities . My primary system is built around 2 m9 bodies .

But I also have Nikon D3s/x and the big telephotos ....not because they are better than my M9s ..but because they provide capabilities I feel I need to shoot surfing,polo,baseball,tennis etc.

Same logic for MF ....you can shoot great landscapes with an M9 but MF will generally produce better results .

Certainly a fair POV to contrast the XPRO 1 to all the usual and unusual alternatives and work towards a solution as a primary system (it looks like a winner) ...my comments were more related to the discussion of the Nex 7 and the use of a XP1 as an addition to an M kit .
    Roger, absolutely agree.

I have had panoramic systems too and think of those as primary with the more regular setups. So you certainly can think of multiple primary systems with each system for a given specialized/specific use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

When in an impact, the tabs on my bayonet mounted lens hood on my Mamiya 6 broke, absorbing some of the force. The camera came out OK. Whether it would have survived with a metal hood, I don't know, but I am glad to sacrifice a hood for the camera/lens. I have certainly banged around a camera around my neck with a plastic hood on and bounces nicely. I have just come to appreciate them.
    The same can be said for the metal screw-in metal hood for my Nikon 85/1.4D - it's banged up and straightened out, but the lens is in top condition. But just like your story, that's just not enough evidence to say that one material is better than the other.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

DPreview publishes a price of $1700 with the lenses around $600. Perhaps it will be more expensive in the States. When I bought my Mamiya 6 in Japan, it was $1200 with the 75mm--that was the body price in the States.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I use my little Fuji X100 as a secondary camera rather than system. ie I "shoot" wildlife with my Sony A900 or A77 with either 400 or 500 lenses that become 600 or 750 with the A77, which is great for keeping me separate from the action without spoofing the critters! However there are occasions when one of 'em decides to relocate rather quickly and very much closer...no time to change lenses and anyway the process would scare them off, so a small discreet camera always ready around my neck sometimes can save the day! That is a secondary camera for me!

I call my A77 a back-up to my A900 but these days it's usually the other way around. Back-up because each can use the full frame lenses should a camera fail unexpectedy...it does happen but the A77 also makes a very nice 1.5 converter as well!
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The same can be said for the metal screw-in metal hood for my Nikon 85/1.4D - it's banged up and straightened out, but the lens is in top condition. But just like your story, that's just not enough evidence to say that one material is better than the other.
    Sure, it is my impression of the event. But metal hoods don't collapse on an impact like my plastic bayonet one did, not when the force is parallel to the optical axis--they are more like cookie cutters. I am not really in the financial position to truly test my hypothesis, but, like I said, I am a heathen and have preferred plastic bayonet hoods over metals ones ever since.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dhsimmonds View Post
    I use my little Fuji X100 as a secondary camera rather than system. ie I "shoot" wildlife with my Sony A900 or A77 with either 400 or 500 lenses that become 600 or 750 with the A77, which is great for keeping me separate from the action without spoofing the critters! However there are occasions when one of 'em decides to relocate rather quickly and very much closer...no time to change lenses and anyway the process would scare them off, so a small discreet camera always ready around my neck sometimes can save the day! That is a secondary camera for me!

I call my A77 a back-up to my A900 but these days it's usually the other way around. Back-up because each can use the full frame lenses should a camera fail unexpectedy...it does happen but the A77 also makes a very nice 1.5 converter as well!
    Dave, this was just how it works for me. I also have a small camera, but if you stack the keepers pile next to each other, the small camera has a poor showing and even the keepers from the small chap don't quite have the same pizzazz as those from what I primarily shoot with. And I was not really saying you cannot have more than one camera, but rather each is an important tool (primary) in some way--you seem to have two primary cameras.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Heathen.
    Sybarite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

In the USA which dealers are taking pre orders. I missed the amazon offering.
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Steven, see my link in the B/S forum for pre-orders.

This video is pretty impressive...shutter seems quiet, operation seems very quick...

Post Thanks / Like

Dave, this was just how it works for me. I also have a small camera, but if you stack the keepers pile next to each other, the small camera has a poor showing and even the keepers from the small chap don't quite have the same pizzazz as those from what I primarily shoot with. And I was not really saying you cannot have more than one camera, but rather each is an important tool (primary) in some way--you seem to have two primary cameras.
    I agree with your perspective. Unless the photographs are family,event etc and not intended for serious work ...each system has to be able to deliver portfolio quality images . Sorting out what I thought were “selects” because the images don t compare to my M9 s IQ is painful. Based on using the x100 I expect that the Fuji files will hold up well and my question is can I get the renderings close enough .

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Roger,
    I'm hoping very close to M9 quality for at least 1/5th the price.
    Don't get me wrong having owned a M9 which I thought was great and still kicking myself for selling it, yet I wanted to go MF so I needed the funds.
    I still have a NEX-7 on order from Amazon, but I think I'm going to cancel it.
    I would rather have 16mp no AA filter over 24mp, and have to still purchase all m mount lenss and not great WA performance.
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Post Thanks / Like

I would rather have 16mp no AA filter over 24mp, and have to still purchase all m mount lenss and not great WA performance.
    That's it right there, but the diopter adjustment is a PITA.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Kit, oh well Looks like it takes standards diopter screw on's
    Doesn't matter for me, my vision is so bad to start with, I hope the AF performs decently,
    Speed is not supper critical to me, bu accuracy is....
    When you say PITA is that pain in the you know what?....
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kit laughlin View Post
    That's it right there, but the diopter adjustment is a PITA.
    Yep agreed, I switch between contact lenses and thick glasses, and an adjustable diopter finder has been a blessing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    I was looking forward to an exciting release from Fuji here, but must confess I'm really disappointed with the sample images I've seen...

Everything I'd read about the new CFA, no AA filter design along with expectations of Fuji lens quality led me to expect ground breaking image quality for an APS-C sensor... just not seeing that yet.
    Well I think the image quality is actually pretty excellent from what I am seeing so far but I will agree with you that except for one shot, I am not seeing any "Foveonesque" resolution or Leica AA-less resolution. That said the colors and tones look superb and it's probably the best JPEG engine in the market.

Oh well, the X100 still works great - and maybe we'll see that long awaited final firmware release given all the feedback which seems to have gone into the X-Pro 1.

Cheers

Brian
    The X100 is still certainly great. To me the X1 Pro, given excellent image quality like many cameras, is about the lenses they are coming out with, the usability which seem further better thought out and key will be if the camera responds fast to state changes/settings and the like.

- Ricardo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bradhusick View Post
    size comparison with M9 from dpreview
    Seeing this picture I'm thinking the mount could probably house a FF sensor. Any official word about this? And the lenses, I wonder if they could manage it?

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if FF is really any longer a requirement for a state of the art flexible system with high IQ. Sensor technology is improving and APSC offers already outstanding IQ and resolution, can actually be expected to get up into the 24MP range mainstream. So FF would require in many cases larger lenses, which would be a drawback then again.

In my view FF is becoming the new MFD, while APSC is becoming FF and MFD is getting up into the Tech Cam areas - just MHO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Many things about this camera/system look great. The lenses are appealing, even though the focal length range of the initial range is not my cup of tea. If the 23 and 14 were available, I'd be a bit more interested.

The X100 viewfinder is nice, but since, as mentioned before, you have to trust what the camera is doing in AF with little control, and MF is about the same, I sure hope Fuji has this sorted out better. AF had better be faster than on the X100 as well.

Fly by wire focussing is a downer even if the other aspects of MF are improved.

This camera might well appeal to those who have been calling for an AF, live view, and video Leica M. Having shot Leicas for 50 years, my interest is more in having a camera that is fast, responsive and doesn't get in the way. AF and Live view don't necessarily help here, but fast focussing (manual or AF) and a large buffer and fast processor do.

For Live view or SLR type viewing, I use FF Canons and m4/3 cameras, depending on the conditions, but for the type of shooting that the M9 is good for, the Fuji Pro might or might not be good. We don't have enough information yet. Meanwhile, I'm hoping that Photokina will bring us a better M; especially one with a larger buffer and faster processing. Otherwise the M9 is exactly what it should be, excepting always the price.

Henning

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    Steven, see my link in the B/S forum for pre-orders.

This video is pretty impressive...shutter seems quiet, operation seems very quick...
    That AF is fast p&s speed I'm afraid. That, the lack of a fast mild tele (portrait) lens, no ISO button, fly by wire focusing with a sub optimal EVF, etc does rather stand in the way of their wish to go after the wedding crowd which was mentioned on DPReview, this doesn't begin to be a wedding system at present.
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I forgot to mention that a number of the lenses for the Fuji Pro will be manufactured by Cosina, so make of that what you will. Cosina certainly has the capability to produce very high quality optics, so that is not a negative.

Henning

Post Thanks / Like

When you say PITA is that pain in the you know what?....
    Yes!

And regarding AF speed, etc., I just want the 'normal' lens (the 35) and the M-mount. All the lovely CV lenses I will have by then will work as well, or better one hopes, than on the GXR (which is impressing me in many ways, I have to say, talking here about ergonomics and control flexibility). But more of that later.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kit laughlin View Post
    Yes!

And regarding AF speed, etc., I just want the 'normal' lens (the 35) and the M-mount. All the lovely CV lenses I will have by then will work as well, or better one hopes, than on the GXR (which is impressing me in many ways, I have to say, talking here about ergonomics and control flexibility). But more of that later.
    Ah, does this mean that you've received your GXR-M now? :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah the AF didn't seem all that fast, but then Fuji has about 1 more month to release. The response to everything else seems fast and the fact you can shoot raw and carry on the way they did is a good sign (and that was RAW+ JPEG).

- Raist

Post Thanks / Like

Looking good, ticking most of the right boxes, but too large. Is it the OVF, or should the same body host a FF in a next generation model? I hoped for a Leica CL sized camera. As far as body size is concerned, I prefer the NEX 7, and for lens offerings and size the Fuji. Why can't camera makers get it right with body and lenses at the same time. Waiting for September and Leica.

Post Thanks / Like

@ Godfrey: more of that later, but in the meantime, thank you so much for the heads-up

regards, KL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

new camera - even looks like one

It even looks like a real camera. I like that.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by emr View Post
    Seeing this picture I'm thinking the mount could probably house a FF sensor. Any official word about this? And the lenses, I wonder if they could manage it?
    With everything that Fuji has shown with the lens design, the lenses will not cover a 35mm frame. The mount does not look that big either.

Post Thanks / Like

With everything that Fuji has shown with the lens design, the lenses will not cover a 35mm frame. The mount does not look that big either.
    I think you're right. The lenses look as big as the FF lenses for Leica, but the mount itself isn't that big. The APS-C sensor nearly "fills" the mount.

Image stolen from Dpr:

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

FF rangefinder=Leica M9, and I think it will most likely be that way for at least the near future. For Fuji or anyone else to come up with a small package FF camera would be cost prohibitive because of lens design. Hence the reason Leica glass is so expensive.
    Wll the new Fuji produce IQ as good as a Leica, probably not, though I think it will be close.
    Let's get real, an M9 and a 50mm summilux costs 11k, the Fuji with the 35mm F1.4 will be under 2500 4.5x less.
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kuau View Post
    FF rangefinder=Leica M9, and I think it will most likely be that way for at least the near future. For Fuji or anyone else to come up with a small package FF camera would be cost prohibitive because of lens design. Hence the reason Leica glass is so expensive.
    Wll the new Fuji produce IQ as good as a Leica, probably not, though I think it will be close.
    Let's get real, an M9 and a 50mm summilux costs 11k, the Fuji with the 35mm F1.4 will be under 2500 4.5x less.
    And I actually assume that the Fuji glass / IQ will not be distinguishable from Leica. Or at least there will be situations where Leica will have the edge and others where the Fuji will have the edge.

If you are getting into real high IQ needs neither - Fuji nor Leica M9 - will be the best choice, then you will have to go MF - but that should be a different story.

Post Thanks / Like

I really hope this new Fuji is a roaring success - but it'll have to be pretty good for me to go there!
    Starting the timer in anticipation of seeing the thread "Fun with the Fujifilm X-Pro1" posted by nobody else but you, Jono!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by emr View Post
    Starting the timer in anticipation of seeing the thread "Fun with the Fujifilm X-Pro1" posted by nobody else but you, Jono!
    nah, he's waiting for me to weaken so he can play with it... tit for tat and all that.

(i want to see his NEX-7 )

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sample images: http://www.flickr.com/photos/2670622...th/6659768125/

The same person has a few full sized images here:

http://www.pbase.com/hpicckcy/full_size_originals

This one, to me, is the first impressive example:

http://www.pbase.com/hpicckcy/image/140854598

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

wow,
    now I'm really excited.
    that last one has that no AA filter look. Great little landscape shooter which I hope it was going to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Sample images: http://www.flickr.com/photos/2670622...th/6659768125/

The same person has a few full sized images here:

http://www.pbase.com/hpicckcy/full_size_originals

This one, to me, is the first impressive example:

http://www.pbase.com/hpicckcy/image/140854598
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com