Site Sponsors
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: new Fuji X Pro1 camera

Post Thanks / Like

Re: new camera

Someone needs to change the title of this thread LOL.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Sample images: http://www.flickr.com/photos/2670622...th/6659768125/

The same person has a few full sized images here:

http://www.pbase.com/hpicckcy/full_size_originals

This one, to me, is the first impressive example:

http://www.pbase.com/hpicckcy/image/140854598
    To be frank, I think that is good but it doesn't blow me away as in "wow, no AA filter." But that said, I think that's fine. I am not seeing anything the K-5 couldn't do but again, that's fine.

I think it's a given it will have good image quality (noise seems worse than the K-5 judging from HUGO shots but that could be pre production), but it's not bad. And again, I think that's fine. So assuming say image quality "as good as the best of elsewhere" the differentiators I think become:

- form factor (and the fact you have excellent image quality in that form factor)
    - ergonomics/usability
    - the view finder (which is unique)
    - the lenses (fast and apparently 'good enough')
    - probably the best JPEG engine in the market when it comes out.

- Raist

PS: Be warned, AF won't be "fast" - confirmed. I still think if they have excellent manual focusing (camera lens responds fast to the fly by wire and accurately and you can focus well on view finder) then it is a non issue at the intended market, at least a big part of it.

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2012/01/fu...tingly-simple/

"The camera’s one drawback, and Fuji has told us that this will be the case on the production models, is that the autofocus isn’t going to be as snappy as it is on other cameras. Fuji says thats because that’s not what this camera is about. Fine, but it’s going to annoy the hell out of you if you’re used to a good point-and-shoot camera or DSLR."

Update: uh oh "Fuji tells us it’ll cost about $US2400." Hmmm... that better be with a lens!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    Someone needs to change the title of this thread LOL.
    Done

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Done
    Noooooo! It's a new camera.... it was the truth! :-)

- Raist

Post Thanks / Like

Re: new Fuji X Pro1 camera (formerly called "new camera")

I may stand alone here but I do wish (in a positive sense) that the X Pro1 was the same size as the X100. Technically that may have been impossible/challenging/expensive (pick one), they managed an APS-C in the X100, why not the XPro1?

Each to their own of course on this, there is no right or wrong, many may prefer the existing size. I just think that seeing how the M9 is FF the Fuji could/should have been smaller.

I'm sure it will be fine instrument, looking at the price suggestions does make me think the X100 is a bargain and the GRX-M mount even more so.
    Last edited by Tim; 11th January 2012 at 21:45.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tim, I think the size is a combination of look-a-leica design (and if the ergonomics are proven, why not?) and the method chosen for the hybrid viewfinder. I'll reserve judgement until I get to try one in my hands (could be an expensive exercise! lol)

I think Sigma took the better route with the DP1/DP2 to be honest - I'd rather pay less for the body attached to a prime lens if it could be made overall cheaper, lighter, more compact.

Give me a couple of X100 variants with the new sensor advantage (once it is refined - still unconvinced by the impressive sample above) and 35mm / 90mm f2 lenses and I'll be happier, I think.

Cheers

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by raist3d View Post

PS: Be warned, AF won't be "fast" - confirmed. I still think if they have excellent manual focusing (camera lens responds fast to the fly by wire and accurately and you can focus well on view finder) then it is a non issue at the intended market, at least a big part of it.

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2012/01/fu...tingly-simple/

"The cameraís one drawback, and Fuji has told us that this will be the case on the production models, is that the autofocus isnít going to be as snappy as it is on other cameras. Fuji says thats because thatís not what this camera is about. Fine, but itís going to annoy the hell out of you if youíre used to a good point-and-shoot camera or DSLR."

Update: uh oh "Fuji tells us itíll cost about $US2400." Hmmm... that better be with a lens!
    It better be among best in class for either AF or MF. If not, we will see some frustrated users soon.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

To be frank, I think that is good but it doesn't blow me away as in "wow, no AA filter." But that said, I think that's fine. I am not seeing anything the K-5 couldn't do but again, that's fine.
    That image is impressive to me because the details are there on the shiny back of the man's head to the shadows of the foliage which are already in the shadow. This is subtropical light. Very impressive tonal/dynamic range intact with the details.

Though I have not looked (hard), I am unsure if the Pentax K5 can do that.

Post Thanks / Like

That image is impressive to me because the details are there on the shiny back of the man's head to the shadows of the foliage which are already in the shadow. This is subtropical light. Very impressive tonal/dynamic range intact with the details.

Indeed - the new Fuji show an impressive dynamic range already (let's not forget it's a pre-production camera); irrespective of what the Pentax or other cameras are able to do or not, it looks promising indeed
    Vieri Bottazzini
    Leica Ambassador | Formatt-Hitech Ambassador | ABIPP EP
    VIERI BOTTAZZINI PHOTOGRAPHER | VIERI BOTTAZZINI WORKSHOPS | VIERI BOTTAZZINI FINE ART

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The spec's of the XPro1 tell us that AF is by contrast detection which whilst much improved over earlier P & S cameras can never be as fast or accurate as Phase detection AF systems as used in most DSLR's.
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dhsimmonds View Post
    The spec's of the XPro1 tell us that AF is by contrast detection which whilst much improved over earlier P & S cameras can never be as fast or accurate as Phase detection AF systems as used in most DSLR's.
    Really not as accurate? I'm a Pentax user and it is general knowledge that AF isn't one of the better aspects of the brand. With Pentax contrast detect AF is almost always MORE accurate than phase detect but significantly slower. And I thought that's the case for some other brands as well. Now, continuous AF may be a different case.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

emr
    It seems that our experiences differ! Although for the type of subjects that I shoot with my X100, I have no problem with it's AF which is also contrast detection.

On another note the following roadmap for additional Fujinon lenses for the APro1 are as follows:

2012:

14mm f/2.8

18-72mm f/4.0 with IS (Image stabilization).

2013:

28mm f/2.8 pancake

23mm f/2.0

72-200mm f/4.0 IS

12-24mm f/4.0 IS

If this rumour is is proved then it is an interesting line up. Together with the M adaptor and doubtless further adaptors to come, this should give Sony something to think about for their NEX range! I do like the roadmap idea for future lens introductions, Oympus were always good at that when they first introduced their 4/3 cameras.

The addition of IS lenses is also interesting as is the published specs for sensor cleaning
    Cheers, Dave

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Still no portrait lens
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rubinstein View Post
    Still no portrait lens

The 60 2.4 (90 2.4 with crop) is being marketed as the portrait lens

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Still no portrait lens
    There are 3 lenses coming with the camera. All/any one of them will make nice portrait lenses though none are sold as portrait lenses.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well I'm inclined to agree with you here . . . and if the X100 is anything to go by the manual focusing in the optical viewfinder is almost useless - the square shows the area that's focused . . . . but it's quite large and usually covers a considerable depth of the image - and the focusing can be on any of that. Of course, using the EVF it's not so bad as you can get a pretty good idea of exactly where the focus point is . . and you can zoom in if you want.

I can't really see how they can do it differently from the X100.

. . . . I suppose it's just a bee in my personal bonnet, but it seems to me that if you are going to have a non-slr optical viewfinder, then you need some means of REALLY showing you what you've ACTUALLY focused on (whether it's manual or AF). The X100 couldn't show you this, maybe Fuji have pulled something out of the bag here . . maybe!

Just this guy you know

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    The 60 2.4 (90 2.4 with crop) is being marketed as the portrait lens
    It may be marketed as such but especially as they say they're going after wedding shooters, it really isn't. A 50mm f1.8 would be the slowest that you could call a portrait lens. F2 is OK I suppose but any slower than that and it really isn't a portrait lens, especially not for the wedding market. Macro lenses are also hardly optimised for portrait shooting.
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

90mm equiv. should be fine for portraits, that is, unless the desired effect is for the iris to be in focus and the eyelash not...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by retow View Post
    It better be among best in class for either AF or MF. If not, we will see some frustrated users soon.
    Who else is in the class?

Post Thanks / Like

It may be marketed as such but especially as they say they're going after wedding shooters, it really isn't. A 50mm f1.8 would be the slowest that you could call a portrait lens. F2 is OK I suppose but any slower than that and it really isn't a portrait lens, especially not for the wedding market. Macro lenses are also hardly optimised for portrait shooting.
    I highly doubt that it is a "traditional" macro with the long throw and slow focusing. The magnification is only 50%.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Macro lenses are also hardly optimised for portrait shooting.
    All the macro lenses I have used have made great lenses for portraits. I can't think of one example where a macro lens does not work well as they tend to have high tolerances than normal focus range lenses.

I think the Fuji, which is only a 1:2 macro, would be fine lens. If you are looking for a shallow depth of field and you don't think f/2.4 is going to give it to you on an APS sensor, then this will not work for you. But this is not a fault with Fuji, it just does not fit your style.

Where you thinking of only using this system for your wedding work?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    I say better do one or the other as good as the best. If it doesn't good manual focus very well that will be a problem. If you are going retro and to the basics that means good manual focus.

Raist

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    . . . . I suppose it's just a bee in my personal bonnet, but it seems to me that if you are going to have a non-slr optical viewfinder, then you need some means of REALLY showing you what you've ACTUALLY focused on (whether it's manual or AF). The X100 couldn't show you this, maybe Fuji have pulled something out of the bag here . . maybe!
    You're right Jono - if you're going to drop the rangefinder mechanism, you need to come up with something functionally at least as good to compete.

I would suggest a focus peaking pattern projected onto the OVF with the blinder open... registration would be a challenge, but I'm sure it could be made to work.

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Oh I have *zero* doubts the k-5 can do that. In fact I will say upfront I still expect the k-5 to beat the fuji in dynamic range. The reason fuji has done great dynamic range is by dual sensitive photo site arrangements - like the old sr super Ccd or the exr CMOS/super Ccd. This camera is not
    One of those and while fuji still does pull off good dr even in no dual sensitivity sensor designs it won't outdo their own dual sr sensor in dr and it certainly
    Won't outdo the k-5 sensor barring another
    Major quantum leap. Judging by the noise I am
    Seeing at their higher ISos I don't think they will beat the Sony sensor of the k-5 on that.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't think they wil do bad but if they can't show impressive per pixel resolution then the removal of the AA filter becomes meaningless that should be their key advantage here and if it doesn't show up then you just ended up with a good quality sensor but won't stand from those doing great already.

Where fuji will beat Pentax hands down is in doing the jpegs though Pentax jpegs aren't all bad.

Here's three shots to show what I mean on k-5. They are pngs as to not compress any data. I can assure you any highlight or shadow of the first is recoverable and we have hard hitting sunlight and shadow on the same shot:

The next shot shows you just how much shadow range the k-5 has. Even with this shadow range it has decent default highlight range- remember that you do have this range available for highlights to by exposing to the right or enabling highlight priority to get more highlights. A lot of people make the mistake to think great shadow recovery is not part of total dr or can't be translated into more highlight recovery:

Original :

Recovered:

Raist

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    You're right Jono - if you're going to drop the rangefinder mechanism, you need to come up with something functionally at least as good to compete.

I would suggest a focus peaking pattern projected onto the OVF with the blinder open... registration would be a challenge, but I'm sure it could be made to work.

Brian
    And I agree with both of you, it's what I have been saying. I am dissappointed the lenses focus fly by wire with no dof scale and probably no quick rotation lock to infinity. Although the dof scale can show on the hybrid view finder at least.

Post Thanks / Like

My ranking for best in class MF/ZF implementation is Leica RF, NEX5N/NEX7 with m-lenses & Ricoh GXR-m. AF standards for larger sensor compacts are set by Nikon's N1 and Olympus' EP3, they are the 2012 benchmarks others will catch up to soon. As sensor technology has improved significantly over the last 2 years, chasing the next level of usable iso is no longer priority for me but camera performance, user interface, ergonomics and haptics instead.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Raist, You are showing a picture of Fuji (mispelled FUGI) apples as an example.

I don't know. I will never know as I have zero interest in Pentax's DSLRs (or any DSLRs for that matter, I have about 4-5 sitting unused). Possibly the Ricoh A16 (Ricoh own Pentax now), if the Fuji does not pan out or if there is a Ricoh/Pentax FF mirrorless cam.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

My ranking for best in class MF/ZF implementation is Leica RF, NEX5N/NEX7 with m-lenses & Ricoh GXR-m. AF standards for larger sensor compacts are set by Nikon's N1 and Olympus' EP3, they are the 2012 benchmarks others will catch up to soon. As sensor technology has improved significantly over the last 2 years, chasing the next level of usable iso is no longer priority for me but camera performance, user interface, ergonomics and haptics instead.
    That's a pretty big class. Kindergarten all the way to post-graduate!

The N1 has a tiny sensor. Far easier to do contrast AF, and the lenses are tiny and with less mass.

Nothing wrong with comparing this array of cameras but really, what else is in the X-Pro1 class?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The N1 has a tiny sensor. Far easier to do contrast AF, and the lenses are tiny and with less mass.

Nothing wrong with comparing this array of cameras but really, what else is in the X-Pro1 class?
    The Nikon with full frame 70-200 wide open at f2.8 focuses very fast (evan at 200mm). It is using a combined Phase Detect/CDAF system. Phase in good light.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I want to see a photo of that setup.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

As sensor technology has improved significantly over the last 2 years, chasing the next level of usable iso is no longer priority for me but camera performance, user interface, ergonomics and haptics instead.
    I agree...sensors are extremely good. It's now down to other factors.

Post Thanks / Like

Monza, in reality it doesn't matter if there's something else to compare in the same class or not. A well built camera as a photographic tool should have a good way to do focusing be af or ideally (IMHO) manual focus. If it has no good way of focus then as a photographic tool that's a bit of a fail. And if you are going to command a high price you better do one or the other reasonably well.

As far as classes go this would be more of a Leica m, but "close to class" comparisons can still be done say vs nex 7. And if fuji is really aiming this at pros like weddings (and they said they are as part of their pro category) then any Dslr in its price range also can be at least partially compared.
    Last edited by raist3d; 12th January 2012 at 21:21.

Post Thanks / Like

Raist, You are showing a picture of Fuji (mispelled FUGI) apples as an example.

I don't know. I will never know as I have zero interest in Pentax's DSLRs (or any DSLRs for that matter, I have about 4-5 sitting unused). Possibly the Ricoh A16 (Ricoh own Pentax now), if the Fuji does not pan out or if there is a Ricoh/Pentax FF mirrorless cam.
    Complete coincidence, I didn't know the type of apple ;-). As for
    Interest or on Pentax dslrs- I never said what I said so you are interested in them. I was just making the point the k-5 can easily have that range. And talking in general market terms I see fuji has a good sensor with good tones and dr but then so does the k-5, which is why I say they should stand out by other aspects then. Or maye the raws will show hyper
    Detail.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Well of course, it must be able to focus...that's a given.

I agree, it must have an acceptable level of performance to be a 'pro' camera. However I don't think it needs to focus as fast as a phase detect sports DSLR that costs about the same money, in order to be acceptably fast.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Complete coincidence, I didn't know the type of apple ;-). As for
    Interest or on Pentax dslrs- I never said what I said so you are interested in them. I was just making the point the k-5 can easily have that range. And talking in general market terms I see fuji has a good sensor with good tones and dr but then so does the k-5, which is why I say they should stand out by other aspects then. Or maye the raws will show hyper
    Detail.
    Raist, No qualms there at all. I was wondering about Fuji claims about "as good as a FF camera" was all about. I was not sure if they were comparing their new cam with the Kodak Pro 14n/c or the Nikon D3s. From "gizmodo" "review", it seems they have compared the outputs from a Canon 5D Mk II with that of the X Pro 1.

Now, that gets interesting.

I hope it comes close to the hyped performance. I don't care if it shows any hyper details and such.

Post Thanks / Like

Raist, No qualms there at all. I was wondering about Fuji claims about "as good as a FF camera" was all about. I was not sure if they were comparing their new cam with the Kodak Pro 14n/c or the Nikon D3s. From "gizmodo" "review", it seems they have compared the outputs from a Canon 5D Mk II with that of the X Pro 1.

Now, that gets interesting.

I hope it comes close to the hyped performance. I don't care if it shows any hyper details and such.
    That's a Fuji claim of course. Why
    not check the Fuji image samples yourself? They have at least nine in their website. I am speaking looking at those. That gives a good idea of
    the jpegs

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That's a Fuji claim of course. Why
    not check the Fuji image samples yourself? They have at least nine in their website. I am speaking looking at those. That gives a good idea of
    the jpegs
    I did look at them (Fuji site) and they are utter BS.

Post Thanks / Like

I did look at them (Fuji site) and they are utter BS.
    Well then, that's not a good first step, is it? ;-). Would be interesting how much more detail can be had from raw

Personally I think the fuji samples look really good in color and tonal range. What I am not seeing is the lack of AA filter detail which means that the camera has to stand out on other things. Would still like to see a raw conversion.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The problem with anything with so much hype is that while attracting attention, it also warrants extra scrutiny. May be Fuji don't care as long as they can sell the 50 or 100 thousand units they can produce just to get a foothold in this very competitive market.

But, I am very tight with money and would not mind spending a few hours to investigate what all the fuss is about.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The Fuji people on video do all seem to be absolutely blown away by the new sensor quality - really, you'd think they were talking about a foveon sensor with Fuji colour

I want to see what they're seeing... maybe we'll see everything come into focus when dpreview (+ others) get production cameras.

I sort of wish they'd held off on the sample images, if there's a quantum leap about to occur.

Cheers

Brian

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

May be Fuji don't care as long as they can sell the 50 or 100 thousand units they can produce just to get a foothold in this very competitive market.
    I think Fuji is looking to sell thousands of these, than have this as a mass market camera. They are not competing with Sony or m4/3.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I want to see a photo of that setup.
    I'm going out shooting with the combo this weekend. It certainly isn't in the true tradition of a small mirrorless set up. However, this is where the Nikon system can be pretty interesting with it's 2.7x crop factor.

Also at the long range of the lens I'm still at f2.8 vs f5.6 on m4/3.

So, of course the crop factor works against you on the wide side.

Nikon 1 is an interesting system. In it's current state it isn't a solo system and needs a supplement be that NEX or Fuji. For me right now my combo is with NEX.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a useful collection of links.

http://www.mikuli.com/2012/01/everyt...lm-x-pro1.html

Lee

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    I think Fuji is looking to sell thousands of these, than have this as a mass market camera. They are not competing with Sony or m4/3.
    I don't care how many they produce/sell or who they compete with. All I am looking for is whether it would be useful for me. The lenses appear to be alright.

The DR (as one amateur photographer posted) also seems impressive. I am irritated by the hype from Fuji but that will pass.

Would the shutter be quiet?, how it would handle? all such "minor" details also matter.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The Fuji people on video do all seem to be absolutely blown away by the new sensor quality..
    How many "etc" did you count in that short clip broadcast by dprevs?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Lee

Much better batch of images using all three of the initial lenses on the Fujifilm--X's site http://fujifilm-x.com/x-pro1/en/gall...ges/index.html

Also shown in your link but might be quicker to find?
    Cheers, Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

How many "etc" did you count in that short clip broadcast by dprevs?
    Only 7, but seriously impressed by the brand new (presumably patented) elbow stabilisation system

Can't remember the video with the revelations about the new sensor image quality... just that it sounded like a breakthrough for APS-C - just what I'm looking for.

Brian

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is an incredibly useful site that allows one to compare the sizes of many cameras, side by side (here, the Fuji X Pro 1 vs Leica M9):

http://camerasize.com/compare/#258,213

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Only 7, but seriously impressed by the brand new (presumably patented) elbow stabilisation system
    Well, may be they sold this to left handed snappers in 1964?

http://www.subclub.org/subjpegs/fujimini.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    I'm going out shooting with the combo this weekend. It certainly isn't in the true tradition of a small mirrorless set up. However, this is where the Nikon system can be pretty interesting with it's 2.7x crop factor.

Also at the long range of the lens I'm still at f2.8 vs f5.6 on m4/3.

So, of course the crop factor works against you on the wide side.

Nikon 1 is an interesting system. In it's current state it isn't a solo system and needs a supplement be that NEX or Fuji. For me right now my combo is with NEX.

Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com