The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

new Fuji X Pro1 camera

V

Vivek

Re: new camera

Perhaps one of the handful of the Ricoh GXR users could chime in-

Apparently, the GXR also can peak the focus. :shocked:

cam

big question for me is what the shutter will be and how it sounds... silly, i know, but one of the reasons i am enamoured with the X100 is it is nearly silent. noise (audible) has been my bugbear since i started with rangefinders, starting with the Epson which was loud enough to wake the dead :eek:

so if anybody reads something on that subject, sees a video, or hears it in person, please holler.

ta

V

Vivek

Cam, The NEX-7 shutter isn't bad at all. I have the electronic first curtain (whatever they call it) on and it is only one snick. To me, it is a bit less than the Epson's loudness. When I had the big Canon 50/0.95 on it I really had to check the image review to see if I took a picture. Pretty quite.

BTW, I hope for a true electronic shutter in one of these cams. That would be something.

Incidentally...the GXR has it. ;)

cam

thank you, Vivek. good to know!

as for the GXR, yes, it is beautifully quiet. i beta-tested it before it came out and was comparing it to my friend's M9 when we went out for a night's shooting. i think he was a wee bit jealous, lol :p

jonoslack

Which Sony camera is this thread about? I've lost track.
:eek::ROTFL: You got me banged to rights - apologies for my part in this discussion.

New information is really interesting - lenses look delightfully small and light (summarit sized?). The camera itself is M9 sized (1mm shorter 3mm higher 1mm fatter). So finally Leica has direct competition for the M9.

it'll be interesting to see whether punters find rangefinders / autofocus / live view / EVF / full frame / money most important!

But I can't see why it's any kind of competition for a NEX7 - which is quite a different proposition.

Personally I think that the marketplace will expand accordingly, and that both companies will do well from it.

Excellent!

Shashin

I have a preorder for the NEX 7 still waiting to get filled, but this camera makes it very hard to decide now. The only real sticking point for me is that the NEX system have OIS lenses.
But I can't see why it's any kind of competition for a NEX7 - which is quite a different proposition.
;)

V

Vivek

Lens prices and specs are leaked as well!

35/1.4 and 18/2 for US $499/each and the 60/2.4 at US $599/-.:thumbs:

Paratom

I use an M9 or an Xpan or a Mamiya 7-11 - for the "compositonal elbow" room the rangefinder view provides - no SLR or EVF camera provides for wider than frame viewing therefore the rangefinders will always have their compositonal advantages in people photography.

After a few weeks with a Nex5N and its OVF I am well aware of its limitations as well as its strengths.

I would say one of the strengths of this camera is the outstanding accurate and fast confirmation that focus peeking delivers when using manual focus lenses.

I can confirm FWIW that critical focusing of things like eye catch-lights is achieved much much more easily using focus peeking and the Nex5N than my M9 - with the same lenses 50/35 and 75 luxes - simply amazing.:bugeyes:

I have never been able to focus on a persons eye using ANY rangefinder and wide open fast glass ...unless I was positioned dead on and they were dead still and my technique was absolutely perfect - the Nex5N makes it an much easier task with much higher strike rates.

For edge focusing ( typical rangefinder strategy ) - I think the Leica is as good as the Nex5N with OVF.

If you love your Leicas like I do - you will have to find other reasons than focussing for a better shooting experience - fortunately there are many,.:)

Pete
Hi Pete,
seems experience with focus peaking differ from person to person. I am one of those who does like it but I can focus the M9 at least as fast and more accurate, no problem to focus the M9 at f1.4 on the eyes (as long as there is not much movement and the lenses are calibrated)
Tom

fotografz

I'm gonna shut up about focus peaking since I've only tried it with the NEX5 ... and based on Pete's experience with the 5N with EFV and Jono's similar experience, keep it shut until I get a chance to try it that way ... which will probably be never, unless someone I know gets one.

My twelve step sponsor won't let me buy any more little APSc cameras :ROTFL:

-Marc

jonoslack

I'm gonna shut up about focus peaking since I've only tried it with the NEX5 ... and based on Pete's experience with the 5N with EFV and Jono's similar experience, keep it shut until I get a chance to try it that way ... which will probably be never, unless someone I know gets one.

My twelve step sponsor won't let me buy any more little APSc cameras :ROTFL:

-Marc
:ROTFL:
Well, my twelve step sponsor is one level down from yours . . . . it's no more little small sensor cameras for me . . hence no X10 or V1 (I think m4/3 is allowable but don't have one). I still think that APSc is a reasonable compromise.

But with respect to focus peaking - many of us (you especially) have spent years and years honing our skills with a rangefinder - it would be strange if it didn't take a little practice with a different method.

More leaks...

http://photorumors.com/2012/01/08/two-new-images-of-the-fuji-x-pro-1-camera/#more-17694

It appears that the lenses can be operated independent of the camera!:thumbs:
HI Vivek
Price and everything looks good . . . size I'm not sure about - the camera is almost exactly the size of an M9 - that makes those lenses reasonably chunky I'd say. Like the X100 it's a really desirable object - Fuji's excellent after sales service doesn't hurt either - I think they'll do really well with it.

V

Vivek

HI Vivek
Price and everything looks good . . . size I'm not sure about - the camera is almost exactly the size of an M9 - that makes those lenses reasonably chunky I'd say. Like the X100 it's a really desirable object - Fuji's excellent after sales service doesn't hurt either - I think they'll do really well with it.

Indeed, Jono. The M9 is untouchable (lack of chunky lenses) for that reason and more! ;)

Ben Rubinstein

Sorry but that has got to be the most georgous looking combo of camera and lenses I've yet seen in the digital age (Leica M don't count cause I can't see anything past the price :p)

V

Vivek

What is more fascinating besides the shutter speed dial (!) is the cable release screw slot!

Given the registry (17.7mm) and the focal plane mark on the body, it isn't chunky but the right size.

Terry

What is more fascinating besides the shutter speed dial (!) is the cable release screw slot!

Given the registry (17.7mm) and the focal plane mark on the body, it isn't chunky but the right size.
Both the X100 and X10 have the same cable release.

V

Vivek

Thanks. I never bothered look at those seriously.

Lars

Price in Europe for body + 35 was listed as €1300 somewhere, that should indicate about $1100-1300 in US?
Edit: that was in the French article posted earlier in this thread.