Site Sponsors
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: new Fuji X Pro1 camera

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: new Fuji X Pro1 camera (formerly called "new camera")

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    ... Is the iPad full of magic? Or is it just like any other tablet?
    The iPad is magical. It's not full of it. ;-)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    This is not my style but with the Fuji cameras you could shoot RAW and develop the jpegs later still in camera and in multiple different ways. This allows you to have your cake and eat it too.
    It's not a new thing. Same with the Olympus E-1 from 2003 and the later models. The E-5 has substantially more options: it has customizable art filters as well as white balance, color space, saturation, contrast, sharpness, and color space. The E-1 can also save to JPEG or TIFF. The Olympus C8080WZ fixed lens camera had these capabilities too (I had one of those in 2004).

Hardly ever used the feature, however. ;-)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by raist3d View Post
    No, they are not the same. The fuji jpegs are fuji film simulations
    All the more reason why one wouldn't want them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A few separate discussions going on here - the product itself, each individual's needs/wants, and Fuji's market positioning with the product.

Market-wise I think Fuji has found/created a niche to fill - there is no obvious competitor in the same price range. Perhaps the MFT and NEX cameras are comparable, but at the same time they are different.

Regarding my own want and needs, well, I have to say that the Xpro1 seems attractive so far. But it doesn't replace my Nikon, and as a complement to my Nikon DSLR, hmm... MFT cameras like the GX1 are a lot cheaper and smaller (although camera body weight is pretty close). It's going to be a while before I would consider getting an Xpro1. Image quality would be the one persuasive factor to change my mind in that regard.
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The key still is the IQ because of the hype. If that is even close to the truth, that does it for me.

I find the mirrorless interchangeable cameras that sport an EVF useful despite their unergonomic designs. That appears to be another plus for the Fuji cam.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    All the more reason why one wouldn't want them.
    Why not speak for yourself then? ;-) I sure want them and a lot
    of photographers that due to different reasons and needs shoot Jpeg. For you it's irrelevant and thats fine too.

Consider that the Nikon $8,000 USD d3x has jpegs with custom uploadable curves. There are reasons for that and it's not because soccer moms are using it.

So fuji doing this is great since they make a lot of the film used by pros. The addition of two pro film simualtions in addition to the previous three is only welcome. You can just ignore that feature. Win win.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Consider that the Nikon $8,000 USD d3x has jpegs with custom uploadable curves. There are reasons for that and it's not because soccer moms are using it.
    That is apples and oranges situation. No one else forces down Fuji profiles only. Those custom profiles can be for anything, including some of the Fuji films.

Btw, when I post something, it is out of my own free will. I do not speak for anyone else.

I assume others do too!

Post Thanks / Like

That is apples and oranges situation. No one else forces down Fuji profiles only. Those custom profiles can be for anything, including some of the Fuji films.
    I don't think it's an apple an oranges situation. That nikon has this feature (not just on the d3x) doesn't change the point which is why have Jpeg. Unless your contention is exclusively to lack of more options to the jpeg engine.

Btw, when I post something, it is out of my own free will. I do not speak for anyone else.

I assume others do too!
    That's fine but when someone says "one would" sounds like he or she are getting to speak for the needs and wants of others without a clear separation of individual needs and preferences. Hence my speak for yourself comment.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It is not a simple matter of Jpeg output when shooting with a profile. For a given profile and WB an exposure is made (assuming anything other than manual mode is used for exposure). That affects a lot of things in an image.

As for your interpretation of how I word a sentence, I can not do anything about it.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I assume others do too!
    +100

To me, the Fuji X-Pro1 looks like a great camera and I'm sure it will make great photographs.

However, it's not the camera I want, not because of any particular deficiency or performance issue, but because I want a simpler design with less stuff in it. I don't care about AF, rather have a rangefinder since I already have an excellent TTL electronic camera AND an excellent optical SLR camera. I want to use my existing lens kit without need to buy into yet-another-lens-line to get the most out of the camera. I don't need motion capture or multi-mode metering or film simulations or many of the other features of the X-Pro1—whether they're good or not is irrelevant. My other cameras have all that stuff and I use it only very occasionally. To me, they pose a distraction just by being there for what I'm after at the moment.

Whatever other issues I might find with the Fuji, whether ergonomic or menu complexity, or handling feel, or balance ... they're all secondary to what I'm working towards right now, which is a simpler tool, less distraction with the tool, and more concentration on the photography itself.

Something as simple and distraction free as an M4-2 is impossible in the digital camera world, but I'm going to get as close to that as I possibly can for my next camera purchase ... which will likely be my last for a good, long time to come.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    With the X100, I routinely shoot RAW+jpeg and mostly use the jpeg. The in-cam jpeg engine is superb.

Brian
    I've been doing this for years, with most my cameras, for some smaller prints the jpg is perfectly fine, it encourages me to get the jpg right at time of exposure, then I won't need to spend longer at the compooter tweaking it. In turn the RAW is better.

@ Godfrey - IMHO I think the jpgs from the GXR are particularly good also. Have you found this or looked at them after doing a RAW comparision?

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    I've been doing this for years, with most my cameras, for some smaller prints the jpg is perfectly fine, it encourages me to get the jpg right at time of exposure, then I won't need to spend longer at the compooter tweaking it. In turn the RAW is better.
    +1 here too. The x100 jpgs are excellent although I do shoot with both jpeg & raw and use raw for final images. However, the out of camera jpg files need only minor changes if at all most of the time. IMHO.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like

Does this price ($1700) include a lens?

Martin

Post Thanks / Like

+2; the better the JPEGs look SOOC, the easier the final image processing will be. I have been working like this for years as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Martin S View Post

Martin
    Bwahahaha ....

The big worry is that my pre order will be fulfilled and no lenses to go with it. See, it really is like a Leica!

Post Thanks / Like

I have ordered mine with just the 35 and the M-mount—'nuff said.

Though, is it true that it will not have focus peaking??? That might be a deal killer, unless there's some other focussing magic

K

Post Thanks / Like

It is not a simple matter of Jpeg output when shooting with a profile. For a given profile and WB an exposure is made (assuming anything other than manual mode is used for exposure). That affects a lot of things in an image.
    Not sure what you are referring to. You mean the Nikon? All I am saying is you can shoot JPEG in either of these cameras and they have JPEG for a set of reasons. Obviously if that doesn't work for you cool, I am not deriding that but then I don't get why you make fun of Fuji here.

As for your interpretation of how I word a sentence, I can not do anything about it.
    Actually you can. You can say that's not what you meant. :-) It's cool.

- Raist

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    +100
    -100? You are just being opportunistically rude.

- Raist

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Martin S View Post

Martin
    Nope. Afaik. They are aiming high :-)

- Raist

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not sure what you are referring to. You mean the Nikon? All I am saying is you can shoot JPEG in either of these cameras and they have JPEG for a set of reasons. Obviously if that doesn't work for you cool, I am not deriding that but then I don't get why you make fun of Fuji here.

Actually you can. You can say that's not what you meant. :-) It's cool.

- Raist

I have shot with many of Fuji's films (Gifted away the last few cartons of Velvia a long while to a friend) under various conditions. If I "deride" and equipment/tool, it is my prerogative based on my own experience. If you or anyone else take that personally, it is not my problem!

Again, I post for myself and if you choose to interpret what I post according your taste, I can not do much about it. But, I do not think it is kosher to post something interpreting what I posted.

Post Thanks / Like

I have shot with many of Fuji's films (Gifted away the last few cartons of Velvia a long while to a friend) under various conditions. If I "deride" and equipment/tool, it is my prerogative based on my own experience. If you or anyone else take that personally, it is not my problem!
    I am not taking it personally. I am merely pointing out it seems kind of silly to knock the Fuji on that aspect and why. Note that I have been consistently saying that I think it's fine that you don't care about the JPEG film simulations.

Again, I post for myself and if you choose to interpret what I post according your taste, I can not do much about it. But, I do not think it is kosher to post something interpreting what I posted.
    Once again, I said it was cool and not an issue. I am focusing on the statement itself and yes, I think knocking down the Fuji on an aspect you don't use nor don't care when the camera doesn't seem to get in the way when you don't care about that aspect is kinda silly. That's just an opinion on yours, not "taking things personally."

Just because a feature isn't for me doesn't mean that I think it's useless or silly for a company to include in. It seems to me that you think it's Fuji's waste of time in a camera in this category, but I am pointing out that pretty much every manufacturer, including with high end models, does care about JPEG modes and that there are reasons for it. Normal conversation.

I welcome any corrections to any misinterpretations.

- Raist

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    The 85mm is a portrait focal length for a 35mm frame. There really isn't a comparable lens for APS. So no APC camera will satisfy him--it is not a Fuji problem per se.
    50mm f1.4, every single DSLR manufacturer I know has one.

And as for the 'satisfy' quip, try not to take a camera personally, objectively there is no fast portrait lens, period. Therefore two wedding photographers here have already said here that the system is lacking for wedding photography as practiced today unlike what Fuji seems to be marketing it as. Why are you trying to argue that fact and why are you taking it personally?
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Post Thanks / Like

if $1700. does not include a lens, Fuji may be aiming too high for me.

Lens and body $ 2350 seems kind of steep to me especially if we are beta testers??????????

Martin

Post Thanks / Like

Fuji may be on to something with their new sensor. I attended an Ophthalmic Imaging Symposium yesterday where lots of research papers were discussed. One of them involved a new high resolution imaging technique which was able to image the various cones in the fovea, and with the use of special dyes were able to indicate the red, green, and blue cones. They were completely random in arrangement much like color film. So Fuji may be on to something with increased randomization of colored pixels in the sensor. After all, humans don't need an anti aliasing filter.

Martin

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For those concerned about about AF speed this video clip might help with that and also a few other things.

http://www.popphoto.com/gear/2012/01...ujifilm-x-pro1
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This interview: http://tinyurl.com/7r5dyql and others I've seen with Ms. Baker leaves me wondering.

Mainly, wondering why Fuji would leave such an important product announcement and interviews in the hands of someone who really doesn't understand very much of what is going on in a camera. The part about register, back focus and telecentricity is just silly.

I hope the camera matches enough of the hype that some people will feel satisfied, but since I know a large number of early adopters of the X100 who have sold or are trying to sell their cameras with expectations not met, I fear that at the price point of the Pro, there will be a lot more.

They better have that whole MF thing worked out well.

Henning
    Last edited by henningw; 15th January 2012 at 18:36.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by henningw View Post
    I hope the camera matches enough of the hype that some people will feel satisfied, but since I know a large number of early adopter of the X100 who have sold or are trying to sell their cameras with expectations not met, I fear that at the price point of the Pro, there will be a lot more.
    I've seen the same behaviour and I have to wonder what the heck people expected from the X100 when they bought in to it because personally I find it to be an excellent camera with the possible exception of some confusing menu and control settings. As far as image quality is concerned it has turned out to be excellent. If you thought that it was a rangefinder or an alternative to a Leica M9 well then I'm sorry to say that you shouldn't have bought it in the first place. I don't the see the X100 as being an over-hyped camera other than by those who wanted to believe that it is something that it isn't.

Personally, it's my experience WITH the X100 to date that had me pre-order the X Pro1 system. Fuji have nothing but impress me with their recent cameras which appear to be designed by camera users rather than computer programmers.

Post Thanks / Like

Graham wrote:

Personally, it's my experience WITH the X100 to date that had me pre-order the X Pro1 system. Fuji have nothing but impress me with their recent cameras which appear to be designed by camera users rather than computer programmers.
    +1

And that on the back of the SPro series; Fuji gets colour. I did not like the S5Pro's interface for fast work (reviewing images was a total PITA) but the X-100 images and interface worked for me (including the allegedly easy-to-bump exp. comp. dial—it never moved by itself when I was shooting!) and the IQ is superb, IMHO.

I have one of the new ones on pre-order, but only with the 35/1.4 and the M-mount. If it handles UWAs well, then I will shift across; if not, I will stick with the GXR-M which (surprisingly for me) continues to impress.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dhsimmonds View Post
    For those concerned about about AF speed this video clip might help with that and also a few other things.

http://www.popphoto.com/gear/2012/01...ujifilm-x-pro1
    Thanks for the link!

Post Thanks / Like

I hope the camera matches enough of the hype that some people will feel satisfied, but since I know a large number of early adopters of the X100 who have sold or are trying to sell their cameras with expectations not met, I fear that at the price point of the Pro, there will be a lot more.
    I'm glad for disappointed early adopters--I bought my X100 used for a pretty reasonable price. Updated the firmware, and it's been a great camera, replacing my dslrs for daily use. Its so small and inconspicuous and easy to use, yet having excellent image quality. Also, it's my hunch that most satisfied users are quietly going about their business using the camera, while the disenchanted are vocally making their disappointment well known on the soapbox that is the internet (like disappointed children whose toys didn't meet their every whim).

I hope there are more disappointed early adopters of the X-Pro1 so I can help them with their disappointment

Post Thanks / Like

This interview: http://tinyurl.com/7r5dyql and others I've seen with Ms. Baker leaves me wondering.

Mainly, wondering why Fuji would leave such an important product announcement and interviews in the hands of someone who really doesn't understand very much of what is going on in a camera. The part about register, back focus and telecentricity is just silly.

They better have that whole MF thing worked out well.

Henning
    The X100 has a few quirks and warts, but which camera has none. However, USD 1100 for a aps-c sensor which delivers the goods coupled with an excellent fast prime lens is not something I see any competitor to offer, and all wrapped into a premium build compact, great looking body. Oh, and I almost forgot to mention the brilliant OVF/EVF. Now as far as the "large number" of frustrated early adopters are concerned, do you mind being more specific here?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    I've seen the same behaviour and I have to wonder what the heck people expected from the X100 when they bought in to it because personally I find it to be an excellent camera with the possible exception of some confusing menu and control settings. As far as image quality is concerned it has turned out to be excellent. If you thought that it was a rangefinder or an alternative to a Leica M9 well then I'm sorry to say that you shouldn't have bought it in the first place. I don't the see the X100 as being an over-hyped camera other than by those who wanted to believe that it is something that it isn't.

I sold my X100 but for one reason, I wasn't using it enough. There were aspects of it that I really liked and yes the IQ was excellent but when I grabbed a camera to go out at that time it wasn't the X100. So, I sold it. Also, for some people they realize 35mm isn't their preferred focal length. I know if I only have one lens to work with, I want it a bit longer.

Post Thanks / Like

>I know if I only have one lens to work with, I want it a bit longer.

Yes, and for me that lens would be a zoom :-). Lets wait to see how good the X Pro1 image quality is in comparison to the NEX-7.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The IQ and DR are THE most important things for me as far as the X Pro 1 is concerned. I've just not seen enough photos from this camera (taken by someone who knows what they are doing) to make me get in line to buy one.

Fuji color is great but the IQ is much more important to me than the color as color can be tweaked in post.. IQ & DR is what it is out of the camera.
    Jim Radcliffe
    www.boxedlight.com

frelwa

Post Re: new Fuji X Pro1 camera (formerly called "new camera")

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Radcliffe View Post
    The IQ and DR are THE most important things for me as far as the X Pro 1 is concerned. I've just not seen enough photos from this camera (taken by someone who knows what they are doing) to make me get in line to buy one.

Fuji color is great but the IQ is much more important to me than the color as color can be tweaked in post.. IQ & DR is what it is out of the camera.
    Does this help?

http://vladdodan.ro/blog/fuji-x-pro-1-hands-on-preview/

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

True Jim, but I'm guessing that many Leica owners will also want to know how well the body will support manually focusing for use with their lenses.

Personally, I'm very interested in the best IQ possible from this sensor in competent hands.

Brian

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    True Jim, but I'm guessing that many Leica owners will also want to know how well the body will support manually focusing for use with their lenses.

Brian
    Unlikely to fare better than the Fuji lenses. No AF either.

Post Thanks / Like

All I want is for someone to be able to adapt these lenses to the NEX body.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I looked at this site,
    I think the samples look very promising. Especially the 18mm corner test.

Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

WOW. The "Fun with the X-Pro1" thread is seven pages long and no one has bought on yet!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ustein View Post
    >I know if I only have one lens to work with, I want it a bit longer.

Yes, and for me that lens would be a zoom :-). Lets wait to see how good the X Pro1 image quality is in comparison to the NEX-7.
    Uwe - a man after my own heart. If you're out to get the image, then a zoom is the answer - even if there are IQ compromises.

I think your images rather prove the point!

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kuau View Post
    I looked at this site,
    I think the samples look very promising. Especially the 18mm corner test.
    Indeed!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

WOW. The "Fun with the X-Pro1" thread is seven pages long and no one has bought on yet!
    Apologies for asking. Have you posted any images here (this site)?

I am sorry, I have not seen any.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Apologies for asking. Have you posted any images here (this site)?

I am sorry, I have not seen any.
    I have posted some images in the "Fun with MF," and couple in "Fun with the 645D," and a few other threads to show examples. I also posted in the Favorite Image of 2011 in the Leica forum even though it was not with a Leica--but others had done that before me.

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showpo...postcount=7549
    http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showpo...postcount=7853
    http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showpo...postcount=7868
    http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showpo...postcount=7985
    http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showpo...postcount=7856

The only thing I have on this computer is a granite thin section--color is from DIC (Differential Interference Contrast) technique, granite can be rather dull otherwise. But that is probably of little interest to the X-Pro! crowd.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for that!

This is really lovely!

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showpo...postcount=7985

The granite mosaic image is fine as well although it rings no bells for me.

I would rather not characterize anyone (including yourself) who have posted in this thread. It isn't a crowd and if you had read through the posts you yourself have answered to, you would know that it is certainly not an X Pro 1 crowd.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Vivek, thanks.

How does the expression go? Even the atheists are Christian; after all, it is a Christian god they don't believe in...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Post Thanks / Like

Vivek, thanks.

How does the expression go? Even the atheists are Christian; after all, it is a Christian god they don't believe in...
    Him that doesn't sound right. I mean afaik they also don't believe in Isis, Shiva, Zeus, Apollo, Yukiyú, Quetzatcoalt, Thor and I think a few(ha!) others... What's does that make them then? Oh, atheists ;-)

Raist

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Him that doesn't sound right. I mean afaik they also don't believe in Isis, Shiva, Zeus, Apollo, Yukiyú, Quetzatcoalt, Thor and I think a few(ha!) others... What's does that make them then? Oh, atheists ;-)

Raist
    Sorry, the I was eluding to the folks here are all part of the X-Pro1 crowd even if they are not impressed by the camera as it is the X-Pro1 they making a reference too.