Site Sponsors
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: new Fuji X Pro1 camera

Post Thanks / Like

Re: new Fuji X Pro1 camera (formerly called "new camera")

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    Sorry, the I was eluding to the folks here are all part of the X-Pro1 crowd even if they are not impressed by the camera as it is the X-Pro1 they making a reference too.
    Cool. It's a good analogy with flawed logic (not the analogy but the saying). Haven't seen such thing in a while ;-)

Raist

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Uwe - a man after my own heart. If you're out to get the image, then a zoom is the answer - even if there are IQ compromises.

I think your images rather prove the point!
    +1
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rawfa View Post
    All I want is for someone to be able to adapt these lenses to the NEX body.
    I haven't checked, but one of the comments is that having no AA filter allowed Fuji to reduce the registration distance between the rear of the lens and the sensor - doesn't sound likely that these lenses would fit the NEX.

Also unlikely to work since the lenses are focus by wire.

Brian

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    I haven't checked, but one of the comments is that having no AA filter allowed Fuji to reduce the registration distance between the rear of the lens and the sensor - doesn't sound likely that these lenses would fit the NEX.

The NEX will allow the use of these lenses, in principle, ie., the rear element will not hit the shutter.

However, lens corrections for aberrations would have been already built in (glass- hardware and not the e chips) to account for the lack of AA plus the actual thickness of the UV/IR cut filter that Fuji put on the sensor.

Brian
    This fly-by-wire business means no other camera adaptations unless one hacks the electronics of the lenses as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Perhaps one day, people will be connected enough to be able to commission their own 'open camera' system... to do away with these closed system constructs designed to lock users in.

... Or maybe buy a camera company and give them a design brief!

Brian

frelwa

Thumbs up Re: new Fuji X Pro1 camera (formerly called "new camera")

The X-Pro1 has now won four "best" awards at CES.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/pres...ds-at-ces-2012

frelwa

Lightbulb Re: new Fuji X Pro1 camera (formerly called "new camera")

Brian
    Fuji should study the focus by wire Olympus Digital ED 12mm f2 lens for features its XF lenses should have: http://www.photographyblog.com/revie...mm_f_2_review/
    Last edited by frelwa; 17th January 2012 at 07:36.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wow, that's come down in price... must get one of those next.

Cheers

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps one day, people will be connected enough to be able to commission their own 'open camera' system.
    http://www.opensourcecamera.org/

The website is not about a specific open source camera, but collects all of the information about various projects and potential platforms, including the Stanford project.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by frelwa View Post
    Fuji should study the focus by wire Olympus Digital ED 12mm f2 lens for features its XF lenses should have: http://www.photographyblog.com/revie...mm_f_2_review/
    Unfortunately the implementation of the focusing scale on this lens doesn't appear to work all that well, according to this review.

I'm a constant traveller but come back to NY and Florida once a year for about a month.
    Post Thanks / Like

If only they offered focus peaking for manual focus lenses. That's a sad omission from such a nice camera, guys.

My Photos: 500px

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by nowherean View Post
    If only they offered focus peaking for manual focus lenses. That's a sad omission from such a nice camera, guys.
    I quite agree . . . after 5 months using focus peaking I'm absolutely 100% certain that I won't buy any camera (which I want to use for manual focusing) which doesn't have it.

On the other hand, they should be able to add it as a firmware update.

Just this guy you know

frelwa

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    Unfortunately the implementation of the focusing scale on this lens doesn't appear to work all that well, according to this review.
    I hadn't seen that review. It does find serious problems with manual focus, the focusing scale, and optical quality control with this lens (although "Featured Comment" by Jeffrey Coggin is more flattering).

However, my interest is in the manual-lens-like features of this design, which I wish Fuji would copy, rather than flaws in Olympus's implementation of it, which I hope Fuji would'n't repeat.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Ditto, though I wonder if there are any trademarks on the tech...only Ricoh and Sony seem to have it....
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I quite agree . . . after 5 months using focus peaking I'm absolutely 100% certain that I won't buy any camera (which I want to use for manual focusing) which doesn't have it.

On the other hand, they should be able to add it as a firmware update.
    How would you compare focus peaking to an optical rangefinder Jon?

Thanks

Brian

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ashwinrao1 View Post
    Ditto, though I wonder if there are any trademarks on the tech...only Ricoh and Sony seem to have it....
    If you use a live view cam (any brand) you would know it is there by nature (perhaps not in MF).

For example, see what a Canon poster says here (post #3):
    http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33698

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ashwinrao1 View Post
    Panasonic have it on their video cams.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

How would you compare focus peaking to an optical rangefinder Jon?

Thanks

Brian
    HI Brian
    well, if it's a rangefinder - then they're just different - both good . . . but I don't think the X1 is having a rangefinder - just an optical viewfinder with an overlay like the X100. I'd much much rather have focus peaking than that.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nowherean View Post
    I rather have them focus on offering good lenses for their system
    Than focus peaking. The nex mount may have that but the nex mount
    Lenses in general aren't very good (relatively speaking). The last two announced primes analogous to Olympus two primes seem good
    Other than that eek. But I have a hunch Sony is going to fix more of that this year.

I get the impression fuji lenses are all good out of the gate and having the right focal lengths and lens speeds is a good sign for a new system.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by raist3d View Post
    I rather have them focus on offering good lenses for their system
    Than focus peaking. The nex mount may have that but the nex mount
    Lenses in general aren't very good (relatively speaking). The last two announced primes analogous to Olympus two primes seem good
    Other than that eek. But I have a hunch Sony is going to fix more of that this year.

I get the impression fuji lenses are all good out of the gate and having the right focal lengths and lens speeds is a good sign for a new system.
    I haven't used focus peaking, but it seems to be highly regarded by those who do use it. Hopefully it will become one of those 'must have' tick box features and we can all have access - if there's a will (in marketing) there's a way.

I'm not so sure about the fuji lenses - I wondered whether the softness we were seeing in the samples was due to sensor or lens - difficult to say until someone tries the adapter with something known to be sharp.

Cheers

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't used focus peaking, but it seems to be highly regarded by those who do use it. Hopefully it will become one of those 'must have' tick box features and we can all have access - if there's a will (in marketing) there's a way.
    Well I am thinking there could be a patent on it. Some say "but Panasonic has it" - that still doesn't get around the fact those companies could have a patent/sharing agreement.

Personally if the manual focus magnified works, I think that can be more than good enough. But it has to work fast, etc. I have tried focus peaking and it's very nice but it's not the end all be all when there's lower light or higher iso kicks in.

I'm not so sure about the fuji lenses - I wondered whether the softness we were seeing in the samples was due to sensor or lens - difficult to say until someone tries the adapter with something known to be sharp.
    I think it's part "first samples syndrome", part JPEG engine (probably more detail from RAW), etc. The shots from Hugo show quite a bit of detail. I agree we need to see some more samples to judge the lenses, but I do know Fuji does have "lens design know how." And I know the Nex lenses in general aren't that good, so taking that into account, I rather go with a system with better lenses than one that doesn't have in general as good lenses.

But taken as a "tendency" until we see more final evidence the Fuji lenses are done right.

Cheers

Brian
    - Raist

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jono,

as you know, I am considering adding a Nex to my M setup (waiting for the Nex 7 to be out, though, to have more choice); seeing you have one and seem pretty happy with it, I was wondering if you could share with us you percentage of Leica M lenses use on the Nex vs Sony lenses use, and most importantly how do you find the process - how do you do it, do you open the lens, focus, stop it down, compose, shoot? Of course it will never be as straightforward as using a M body, but the question in my mind is how cumbersome it is in real life (reviewers must be taken with a grain of salt)

I am sure such information from such a member as you will be much appreciated not only by me, hence the forum post rather than a PM

Hope you are doing great!

HI Brian
    well, if it's a rangefinder - then they're just different - both good . . . but I don't think the X1 is having a rangefinder - just an optical viewfinder with an overlay like the X100. I'd much much rather have focus peaking than that.
    Vieri Bottazzini
    Leica Ambassador | Formatt-Hitech Ambassador | ABIPP EP
    VIERI BOTTAZZINI PHOTOGRAPHER | VIERI BOTTAZZINI WORKSHOPS | VIERI BOTTAZZINI FINE ART

Post Thanks / Like

ex Jono:

after 5 months using focus peaking I'm absolutely 100% certain that I won't buy any camera (which I want to use for manual focusing) which doesn't have it.
    Focus peaking is used in all pro video (so Panasonic and Sony and JVC) and has been for 15+ years. I shot an interior today with a GXR-M Rocoh (this has peaking plus magnification) and the results are superb.

Re, process: I started with open aperture > press buttons > move camera on tripd so I could do the mag. + peaking thing the right depth into the image > and ended the session using mag and peak while stopped down, because at the pixel level, wide open or stopped down (I was using a CV 15) made no difference to the pixel level sharpness: peaking works regardless. This is a first and, for me, a major first.

frelwa

Has this thread died?

frelwa

Has this thread died?
    RIP Re: new Fuji X Pro1 camera. Welcome http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/f55/fu...1-a-33862.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Has this thread died?
    No, just on life-support until some solid user reviews are published...

frelwa

Thumbs up Re: new Fuji X Pro1 camera (formerly called "new camera")

Quote Originally Posted by Pelao View Post
    No, just on life-support until some solid user reviews are published...
    An Australian photog says he will post some new photos after a shoot next week.

News and Updates Christian Fletcher Photo Images Landscape Photography Australia

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

...or the OMD gets released and matches the hype

A good time to wait and see

Cheers

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

...or the OMD gets released and matches the hype

A good time to wait and see

Cheers

Brian
    It won't match the hype (which product ever does? :-) ) but I think it will can be a very "sexy" kit if they price it right. I wonder what the sensor will do. I am betting on a GX1 sensor tweaked which to me it's just "ok." Would love to see more a GH2 class tech in there.

- Raist

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, we've been here many times before... I'm not going to get excited about a breakthrough in sensor technology (given the Fuji new sensor, which looked very promising) until after I've seen image samples.

The Sigma SD1 image samples were impressive - that's the kind of improvement I want to see for a 4/3rds format sensor.

Cheers

Brian

frelwa

Well, we've been here many times before... I'm not going to get excited about a breakthrough in sensor technology (given the Fuji new sensor, which looked very promising) until after I've seen image samples.
    The OM-D is rumored to have a 16mp sensor like the X-Pro1, but the Olympus seems to be a high-end M43 camera, not FF or APS-C. Even so ...
    Last edited by frelwa; 24th January 2012 at 15:44.

frelwa

RIP Re: new Fuji X Pro1 camera. Welcome back Re: new Fuji X Pro1 camera. Please ignore X-S1 reference. Mistake
    (modified quote passes muster)

frelwa

Re: Fuji X Pro1 camera Japan release date is Feb 18th

Today's The Verge report on the release: http://www.theverge.com/2012/1/26/27...an-february-18

Fuji Japan press release, also today: http://www.fujifilm.co.jp/corporate/...ffnr_0606.html

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Product catalog-
    Technological symphony climaxing in the Peak of Image Quality
    http://www.fujifilm.com/products/dig...talogue_01.pdf

One interesting thing is that Fuji have been harping on the "film grain like" arrangement of the color filter pattern. What they do not even mention is that after an exposure, those grain patterns in film transform into something totally different. The tiny grains grow into long worms or spaghetti like structures.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Product catalog-

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/dig...talogue_01.pdf

One interesting thing is that Fuji have been harping on the "film grain like" arrangement of the color filter pattern. What they do not even mention is that after an exposure, those grain patterns in film transform into something totally different. The tiny grains grow into long worms or spaghetti like structures.
    1) how can you know that ?
    2) why are you so hostile against Fujifilm ???
    3) Why do you still waste your time in this thread if you already know what bad camera the X Pro 1 is ??????

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I don't know what your problem is with my post, ptmosu.

How can I know what?

It seems to me that your post is hostile to me for reasons I can not understand!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lower the temperature, please.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I honestly do not understand what in my post provoked that hostility. I find it comical, honestly.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For whom it might be of interest:

Shutter in the Camera:

Fuji Guys - Fujifilm X-Pro1 Focal Plane Shutter Demo - YouTube

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Shutter in the Camera:

oooh, merci, Vivek! not nearly as bad as i feared...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That is without a lens attached, Cam!

With one of the 3 (especially the 35/1.4) it should be even smoother.

frelwa

Exclamation Re: new Fuji X Pro1 camera (formerly called "new camera")

Fuji has released the X-Pro1 Owner's Manuals in pdf!

Camera: http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digi..._manual_01.pdf

Lenses: http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digi..._manual_01.pdf

Now back to reading ...
    Last edited by frelwa; 26th January 2012 at 13:45. Reason: Add lens manual

frelwa

Smile Re: new Fuji X Pro1 camera (formerly called "new camera")

Shutter in the Camera:

The Fuji Guys have a new video of the aperture too:

Fuji Guys - Fujifilm X-Pro1 Aperture Blade Demo - YouTube

Now really back to reading the manuals ...
    Last edited by frelwa; 26th January 2012 at 13:46.

Post Thanks / Like

I note that the EVF has a diopter adjustment (-2 to +1); does this contradict earlier reports of the need to use after-market diopter correction lenses? I hope so!

Flash sync speed: 1/2000"

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That is without a lens attached, Cam!

With one of the 3 (especially the 35/1.4) it should be even smoother.
    i got that, sweetie! that's why my ears pricked up

(and, yes, you even know the lens i'd get)

Markus

Quote Originally Posted by kit laughlin View Post
    I note that the EVF has a diopter adjustment (-2 to +1); does this contradict earlier reports of the need to use after-market diopter correction lenses? I hope so!

Flash sync speed: 1/2000"
    Where did you find the info on the EVF diopter adjustment.

Searched the PDF manual and found just infos in the OVF thus far:
    "Viewfinder focus can be adjusted using diopter ad- justment lenses available separately from third-party suppliers (P 98)."
    "Recommended Third-Party Accessories
    COSINA diopter adjustment lenses are recommended for use with this camera."

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kit laughlin View Post

Page 6

Diopter adjustment available from third parties

Page 98

They recommend Cosina diopter lenses

frelwa

New Fuji Guys comments on X-Pro1 manual focus:

"MF speed is improved over x100 with #FUJIFILM X-Pro1. Seems more accurate to me when fine tuning focus."

"You will be able to use MF during video with #FUJIFILM X-Pro1. CAF also available too"

- both posted yesterday on the Fuji Guys Twitter page.

Post Thanks / Like

Only time will tell whether the AF and MF are any good. I hope they are, but I'm not optimistic.