Site Sponsors
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: new Fuji X Pro1 camera

Post Thanks / Like

Re: new Fuji X Pro1 camera (formerly called "new camera")

Damned if I know where I saw that—I was reading the GXR manual at the same time though; I just skimmed the XPro manual again and I could not find that... I must have been dreaming. I know that this is something I wanted!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kit laughlin View Post
    I note that the EVF has a diopter adjustment (-2 to +1); does this contradict earlier reports of the need to use after-market diopter correction lenses? I hope so!

Flash sync speed: 1/2000"
    The flash sync speed is 1/180 (page 55). Are we reading the manual about the same camera? :-)

A flash sync speed of 1/2000 in a camera like this would be a Guiness record.

- Raist

Update: I missed your next post. Makes sense :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Jeez—you just confirmed it: I was reading the GXR manual alongside the PDF XPro1 one... I will be more careful before posting next time!

Post Thanks / Like

Is Elvis really Dead?

Quote Originally Posted by frelwa View Post
    Quite a coup for a camera that is not buyable yet! Am I the only one who suspects those guys in the youtube promo video are puppets? Has anybody posting on this forum actually met any of the photographer's whose images made with this camera are appearing on the internet?

Is this camera real?
    Last edited by lowep; 28th January 2012 at 04:14.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There is a PDN Preview. Not too much new, but this line stood out a bit:
    On the positive side, the models I handled responded quickly with fast snappy autofocus
    Here's the link:
    CES/PMA 2012: Fujifilm X-Pro1 Hands-on Preview

frelwa

Talking Re: Is Elvis really Dead?

Quote Originally Posted by lowep View Post
    Quite a coup for a camera that is not buyable yet! Am I the only one who suspects those guys in the youtube promo video are puppets?
    One of them is real. I talked to Fuji Guy Billy Leung at a camera show in Toronto last month. He's smart and knows more than you see on those videos.

Has anybody posting on this forum actually met any of the photographer's whose images made with this camera are appearing on the internet?
    I've exchanged messages with Hugo Poon and a couple of others, but I haven't met any of those photographers in person.

Is this camera real?
    If not, Fuji has gone to one Hell of a lot of trouble to fool everybody. Are you real?

Post Thanks / Like

I was out walking today with my X100. It was a long, long walk through Manhattan. The X100 failed me every time on startup and AF. It was so bad, I actually cursed it. Fuji has a lot of work to do on this X Pro-1. Tomorrow, I'll probably go see the Chinese New Year's parade. The X100 is coming with me, but I am definitely also taking the D7000 with me. I'm just not sure the Fuji can be relied on for capturing shots. It is for this reason that I have no intention to preorder the XP1. I have the NEX 7 coming, and may sell the X100. I'll keep an eye out for reviews of the XP1, but Fuji has a lot of work to do to convinced people like me to give them another chance. I love the form factor and image quality, but the camera is no good if it fails to capture the shot with AF or MF. I now have enough experience with Fuji to not be fooled by the physical beauty of the XP1.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is Elvis really Dead?

Is this camera real?

Quote Originally Posted by frelwa View Post
    If not, Fuji has gone to one Hell of a lot of trouble to fool everybody.
    +1

BTW no offence intended. Just a little overwhelmed by the marketing.

frelwa

Re: Is Elvis really Dead?

Quote Originally Posted by lowep View Post
    Is this camera real?

+1

BTW no offence intended. Just a little overwhelmed by the marketing.
    Truth: no offense taken. I guess I was overwhelmed by your sarcasm.
    Last edited by frelwa; 29th January 2012 at 19:57.

frelwa

Exclamation 24 hidden X-Pro1 "insider" videos revealed

The Fuji Guys posted a private playlist of 24 videos on YouTube four days ago on Jan 25th. They're intended for Fuji dealers and employees, and they include some general videos and more short ones that cover specific features of the camera. One general introduction video warns viewers not to reveal any details until after the Jan. 9th CES introduction, so it was made before that date but only posted recently. Can't tell how old the others are.

Fuji Guys - Fujifilm X-Pro1 - YouTube

n.b. YouTube private videos don't appear in the sidebar list and searches don't find them. You have to have the link to them to see them.

Twoshoes

Don't know if anyone has seen this, but seems promising?

Fuji X-Pro1 M-mount adapter on display at the CP+ show in Japan | Leica News & Rumors

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twoshoes View Post
    Don't know if anyone has seen this, but seems promising?

Fuji X-Pro1 M-mount adapter on display at the CP+ show in Japan | Leica News & Rumors
    Yes, the current questions being asked over this is how or even if Fuji will somehow incorporated the adapter to function with EVF zooming and focusing, otherwise know has the focal length guidelines. Did I make any sense

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This guy has one to play with. Some shots, and a video of start-up time, menus etc:

Thoughts From My Camera

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Apparently available in Bangkok and demo at my favourite pusher's the coming weekend:

Post Thanks / Like

Jorgen,

so you will get your X Pro 1 ?

Peter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One of the members of Serious Compacts has one - he's writing a book on it. He has started posting impressions and images. here's the thread - look for posts by flysurfer:

Fuji X-Pro 1 hands on and samples

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    Jorgen,

so you will get your X Pro 1 ?

Peter
    I would love to, but I need the flexibility of the m4/3 system. An alternative would be to skip m4/3 and keep Nikon DSLRs for flexibility, using X Pro1 for travel, but it's a rather expensive system. When it comes to image quality, I have a feeling it's on the absolute peak of what small sensor cameras can do these days.

Here's an illustration that's probably part of Fuji's marketing material, but still:

... or should I simply dump everything else and go for the Fuji with 3 lenses only?

Post Thanks / Like

Jorgen, although I am using the GXR presently, I am in a similar boat, but here's my take on it: I am not getting the Fuji UNTIL we see the M-adapter AND we see how it handles the UWAs that are such an important part of my work.

Two other problems for me: the tilt EVF on the GXR allows me to work in interiors a new, and better, way, and the Fuji will not be able to do this (although a simple right angle finder attachment that can look at the OVF/EVF would fix that immediately). The second is that, AFAIK, there is no peaking option presently enacted: I have become addicted to this with the GXR; it is 100% accurate for me.

I note though that Jono finds the magnification option on the excellent EVF of the NEX7 to be sufficient in this regard; I do not know how this is implemented in the Sony, but in the GXR it is perfectly toggled with the shutter button half press: a half press shows you the full frame, in colour, and one simply check framing and makes the image.

The Fuji, if fitted with an M adapter, and if it can focus easily with MF lenses, seems potentially awesome—and I would want the AF 30 and 45 lenses too; similar pricing to the GXR 'lensors". Interesting times, indeed.

Post Thanks / Like

I've had it on order for a while now, but I'm getting nervous.... nervous that I will not like it. Fuji to me is like the new Lexus (copied Mercedes and BMW) trying to improve other establishments, not that it is new to the game, which you all know better than me.

However, both the X100 and the X10 are successful in many ways, bringing to the EVIL table quality products with large impact, unfortunately they have both failed me. The X100 didn't deliver for me the focusing performance necessary and while the X10 feels a little improved, the sensor size speaks for itself, lacking the IQ of its bigger brother but offering zoom, both I feel offering good lenses.

While it hasn't been released yet, and there's no way for me to know this, I feel I will be let down yet again by the same issues. Potentially all of its cameras can be legendary, and while many of you have lived happily with the X100 and X10, I have the desire that Fuji gets it ALL right! I feel that they are the closest thing (company) that can!

With the release of the X Pro1, I also feel that they will less likely release the successor to the X100 soon, which I want more than the X Pro1. While it's great to stick a M lens to a new camera, the compact size, elegance and feel of the X100 are a great asset. But now I feel Fuji will no longer want to release a X200 anytime soon, because of business politics. First, they want to sell many more lenses and accessories with the Pro system. If X200 gets it all right, I mean why would I still need to fork out for the Pro system. Horses for courses I hear you say. Sorry, it will always be a Leica M, DSLR, Medium format camera, and the rest are disposable cameras to an even greater extent.

Yes, I might be over thinking it and it's all speculation, but hey, X Pro1 and the three lenses and M-mount adapter will set me back another $3K at the least. Really?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Kit,
    I believe the M-adapter is available in Bangkok already. I'll check when I get back there (next week).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Apparently available in Bangkok and demo at my favourite pusher's the coming weekend:
    I'm leaving Bangkok early in the morning, so I'm safe from such temptations for now!

I'm looking forward to handling this kit, but I'm not in a big hurry. I tend to like to wait for the kinks to get smoothed out before jumping in.

I've carried a pretty big kit at times when traveling here to BKK (two DSLRS + up to 7 lenses at times), and this would be a very nice change for such travel. Looking forward to learning how well the M adapter interfaces, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Jorgen: brilliant. What's the widest M-mount lens you have?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kit laughlin View Post
    Jorgen: brilliant. What's the widest M-mount lens you have?
    Ha ha... I have none. I try hard to concentrate on the (too many) systems that I do have. My interest for the X-Pro1 would be for the native lenses, which would make it rather expensive. If an adapter for Zeiss CY should turn up, that would be an interesting option, but at this stage, few know how well manual focusing works with the camera.

Post Thanks / Like

If you do get a Fuji before me, with the M-mount, then I will lend you the CV 12/5.6, as I will be heading off to Italy for a workshop tour soon. If the 12 works, then it's all good, as far as I am concerned.

Let me know! Cheers my friend, Kit

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Over at Fuji X Forum....

Some very impressive X-Pro1 sample photos!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

After all the issues with the X10, I doubt I am still interested in the XPro1.

I would say that Fuji should first get their act together in delivering what they promise and this consistently, before I would get interested again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    Over at Fuji X Forum....

Damn, they look good.

I love the sensor quality - the whole package is more than I want though... I think I'd like a version of the X100 with this sensor and a longer focal length - maybe 60mm f1.4 for portraits.

Cheers

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    Damn, they look good.

I love the sensor quality - the whole package is more than I want though... I think I'd like a version of the X100 with this sensor and a longer focal length - maybe 60mm f1.4 for portraits.
    that would be sweet! (though, honestly, a 50/1.4 would do me )

Post Thanks / Like

Damn, they look good.

Cheers

Brian

Yup, they look damn good indeed. They are still resized down, but to be frank, I am getting past the looking at 100% if the tones and reasonable detail + DR is there. And these are JPEG! But then Fuji has one of the very best jepgs engine around.

Doesn't hurt to use such attractive models :-)

- Raist

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Over at Fuji X Forum....

Very nice! Thanks, Robert!

This appears to be a different beast altogether when it comes to image quality!
    Impressive!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Robert
    They look great . . . but I think the photographer and the lighting has something to do with it as well!
    Certainly, the camera hasn't spoiled anything (but you wouldn't expect it too).

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Found some RAWs somewhere, cant remember the site (maybe it was linked here?).

I think the 6400 iso sample actually looked quite good when rendered in silkypix (which I must say is the largest p.o.s. software Ive ever used), could push it a stop and still get acceptable detail from the shadows. 2 stops could probably be usable, but I dont think Id venture further.

I had a huge crush on the M9 until I heard about this camera, but now it seems I dont have to save up quite as much money for a decent kit. Id go with the 18 and the 60 (Id rather have all of them, though), by the way, complementing with a 24 and possibly a 35 in my Canon kit for high speed shooting.

Post Thanks / Like

I put in an early pre-order and it seems I am moments away from pulling away from it. The new samples coming out now are to my eyes amazing.

Fuji is a serious heavyweight when it comes to sensor technology, one thing I will miss if I pull away, but camera handling is just as important if not more so. Still, it seems I bringing up the old topic of their poorly implemented AF and MF performance, but the camera is now $1700, so I won't take it lightly this time. Improved isn't good enough, sorry!

I don't want to ruin my 'wanting to love Fuji', what is courageous otherwise by a company bringing out new products so soon into this competitive market and offering serious options.

However, I bought into the Fuji X100 and X10, but ultimately fail me for the same reasons. Maybe the fat ugly Ricoh GXR with the A12 M-mount module! Or even a couple of primes for my D800E order! I backed away from the Nex-7 because I bought the 5n for my wife and she loves it, but I also cannot get past the handling of it. It's a Nintendo with a lens attached to the front of it. Although I think of Sony as highly innovative and offers great ideas that should honed in on and developed into stronger products, maybe the Nex-7 is such a product, but no one has clearly voiced that out either!

I realized that small sensors isn't the way for me, but at the same time manufacturers want to go this directions because of costs and making products for the masses, something that I cannot fully steer away from, so while APS-C is the smallest sensor size I feel I am willing to settle for, novelty seems to be the marketing scheme by all these mirrorless cameras.

D-SLRs and above seems to be the only sectors where the PRO cameras try to remain as PRO cameras. I feel like lesser models improve with time but shouldn't stop anyone in their tracks that they can use for serious work, and higher end cameras continues with evolution. They offer solid cameras. Perhaps mirrorless camera are just that, being at it's birth.

Anyways, I thought I'd write something waking up in the middle of the night (dozed off putting my son to sleep at 9pm) just to pass time, feeling a little fed up with Fuji and wondering if others feel like by now? {Don't like it, don't buy I hear a wondering voice inside my head }

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by pophoto View Post
    I put in an early pre-order and it seems I am moments away from pulling away from it. The new samples coming out now are to my eyes amazing.

Fuji is a serious heavyweight when it comes to sensor technology, one thing I will miss if I pull away, but camera handling is just as important if not more so. Still, it seems I bringing up the old topic of their poorly implemented AF and MF performance, but the camera is now $1700, so I won't take it lightly this time. Improved isn't good enough, sorry!

I don't want to ruin my 'wanting to love Fuji', what is courageous otherwise by a company bringing out new products so soon into this competitive market and offering serious options.

However, I bought into the Fuji X100 and X10, but ultimately fail me for the same reasons. Maybe the fat ugly Ricoh GXR with the A12 M-mount module! Or even a couple of primes for my D800E order! I backed away from the Nex-7 because I bought the 5n for my wife and she loves it, but I also cannot get past the handling of it. It's a Nintendo with a lens attached to the front of it. Although I think of Sony as highly innovative and offers great ideas that should honed in on and developed into stronger products, maybe the Nex-7 is such a product, but no one has clearly voiced that out either!

I realized that small sensors isn't the way for me, but at the same time manufacturers want to go this directions because of costs and making products for the masses, something that I cannot fully steer away from, so while APS-C is the smallest sensor size I feel I am willing to settle for, novelty seems to be the marketing scheme by all these mirrorless cameras.

D-SLRs and above seems to be the only sectors where the PRO cameras try to remain as PRO cameras. I feel like lesser models improve with time but shouldn't stop anyone in their tracks that they can use for serious work, and higher end cameras continues with evolution. They offer solid cameras. Perhaps mirrorless camera are just that, being at it's birth.

Anyways, I thought I'd write something waking up in the middle of the night (dozed off putting my son to sleep at 9pm) just to pass time, feeling a little fed up with Fuji and wondering if others feel like by now? {Don't like it, don't buy I hear a wondering voice inside my head }
    Why not cancel the pre-order, then play with the camera in person when it's available? To pre-order you have to be sure. Reviews and views from others (especially photographers who review rather than people who just review) are a big help but there is little of that yet available.
    Last edited by Pelao; 19th February 2012 at 07:44.

Post Thanks / Like

Well my experience with pre-orders, I can get my hands on it early and non of that waiting, seems like forever to get anything these days. Also I'm usually able to sell it back with little or no loss, sometimes a profit too!

...although I'm on the verge of doing what you just said

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by pophoto View Post
    Well my experience with pre-orders, I can get my hands on it early and non of that waiting, seems like forever to get anything these days. Also I'm usually able to sell it back with little or no loss, sometimes a profit too!

...although I'm on the verge of doing what you just said
    Perhaps but this is at a different price point than some of the more frenzied items.

I've pre-order a number of cameras and the practice seems to be getting more perilous as manufacturers have shorter and short product cycles which includes testing time. Not to throw cold water on what looks to be a very nice camera, I think on this one sitting out the beta test may be wiser. Both the X100 and X10 have had their launch issues with paying users clearly being the beta testers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Perhaps but this is at a different price point than some of the more frenzied items.

I've pre-order a number of cameras and the practice seems to be getting more perilous as manufacturers have shorter and short product cycles which includes testing time. Not to throw cold water on what looks to be a very nice camera, I think on this one sitting out the beta test may be wiser. Both the X100 and X10 have had their launch issues with paying users clearly being the beta testers.
    It seems to be that way, however, my brother has decided to keep and loves his X100. I still have the X10 which my son (2 years old) adores, I don't dislike the camera, given it's target and price, but I still think Fuji fails in common areas.
    Another example of this, while despite the awesome new sensor in the X Pro1 as seen in it's samples, I too see the while disc effect, it's not something I want to bring up, but the camera has now been officially released and this is a totally new sensor.

Yes, I have pretty much decided to sit this one out and maybe opt for other more mature camera sectors or stick with what I have. I also think the Olympus OMD EM-5 is such sector now, and while cropped sensors affect many area, like fov, aperture, I am seeing maturing in m4/3.

Thanks for your input Terry!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Early samples look extremely impressive to me. The jpeg engine, DR, and resolution seem to be fantastic, as well as the lens rendering. There are of course question marks as there are with all new digital releases.

Check out this full size image:

My first X-Pro1 image samples - Fuji X Forum - Page 2

Post Thanks / Like

Monza, these are impressive and where I am basing most recent judgement from. It has a great sensor for sure!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes,

The pictures look good. Very, very good. But when I originally went to the link and read the blog post about that shoot they did say there were both some software and hardware issues to be sorted out. When I try to get to it now seems like you need to be logged into flickr.

I too have the X10 and like it and had the X100 and only sold it because of lack of use. Both cameras have their foibles. X100 firmware was clearly not ready for release. X10 white disk is not fixable. It hasn't impacted my shooting but makes me cautious about being first out of the gate to order the camera.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

The shoot made it clear the camera is pre-production. Don't forget that cameras are not really cameras anymore, they are computers. As such, developments never really cease...it certainly would be great if the X-Pro1 would ship as a solid 1.0 release rather than a 0.x beta, however.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    I too have the X10 and like it and had the X100 and only sold it because of lack of use. Both cameras have their foibles. X100 firmware was clearly not ready for release. X10 white disk is not fixable. It hasn't impacted my shooting but makes me cautious about being first out of the gate to order the camera.
    Exactly my thoughts!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The shoot made it clear the camera is pre-production. Don't forget that cameras are not really cameras anymore, they are computers. As such, developments never really cease...it certainly would be great if the X-Pro1 would ship as a solid 1.0 release rather than a 0.x beta, however.
    You can say that again, I'd love to see the X100 v2.0 release

Cheers

Brian

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Here you go, it's called the X-Pro1

XPro arrived today!!! - Fuji X Forum

Post Thanks / Like

I have to admit that I am incredibly interested in this system. I have been wanting a "small" (but not TOO small) camera that can be my every day system, and leave my DSLR for studio work. I have long been a Leica fan, and an RF fan in general (having owned a few different bodies) and personally I am thrilled at the size of this camera as well as the initial lens offerings.

I am a little put off by the price of the system, but it's a far cry less than anything Leica has released.

Pending initial reviews and user reports, I am seriously considering liquidating part of my Canon kit and funding this system.

I would keep the 5DmkII body and let go of the 7D, but the tough decision would be which lenses to sell. I think my two personal favorites are the 35L and the 135L so that would probably be what I'd keep. (But darn if that 24L II isn't just a fine lens)

I had an X100 previously and I absolutely LOVED it. Quirks aside, it was possibly my favorite digital camera. I had to sell it for financial reasons as it was a "luxury" at the time, but it opened up a lot of possibilities for me that I have trouble accomplishing with my DSLRs.

I don't need blazing fast AF or FPS as long as the camera can focus accurately and "acceptably" quick. I'm anxious to see final revisions
    Analog // Digital

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Heh, that's a bit more than I'm willing to pay in money and compromise for a firmware update!

Nice thought though

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Heh, that's a bit more than I'm willing to pay in money and compromise for a firmware update!

Nice thought though

Brian
    I've come to accept that all cameras have flaws, even top of the line Canons and Nikons, which do get firmware updates (e.g., Canon 1DMk 3 focusing errors, etc., the list is long and never ending). My D300 still has a couple of quirks with battery levels using the battery grip, but my D700 does not. Did I mention the Leica M8 series, which I borrowed and shot at length? I could go on and on.

I've also come to accept that I have the ability to adapt to a camera system and its shortcomings, and having adjusted, the quirks essentially disappear (Panasonic L1, for example). My opinion is that the X series will take a series of evolutionary changes, while its users simultaneously adapt to its way of working. Nikon has moved buttons and menus all over the place on each iteration of the DX00. Then switching to Canon 5D Mk 2, I could not figure out how to engage video or make sense of Canon's control set--because I've been used to Nikon. Enter Fuji with a brand new line, ditto, you get the picture (no pun intended)...

As for pricing, the D300 was originally priced around $1700 (4 years ago!). Almost all "semipro" APS-C cameras are priced in that range, so with the dollar devalued, the XP1 initial asking price is not out of bounds, especially given the unique features set. But that's just me and what I value in a camera, YMMV.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Monza, you are our eagle-eye right now, thanks for the update!