The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

new Fuji X Pro1 camera

Brian Mosley

Re: new camera

I was looking forward to an exciting release from Fuji here, but must confess I'm really disappointed with the sample images I've seen...

Everything I'd read about the new CFA, no AA filter design along with expectations of Fuji lens quality led me to expect ground breaking image quality for an APS-C sensor... just not seeing that yet. :cry:

Oh well, the X100 still works great - and maybe we'll see that long awaited final firmware release given all the feedback which seems to have gone into the X-Pro 1.

Cheers

Brian

fotografz

While most everything on this camera is wait and see operational stuff, I think the BIG news here is the sensor and whether it actually works as advertised. The primary argument against CMOS has been the relatively aggressive AA filters, which if removed invites moiré.

If for no other reason, I think Fuji is to be commended for this effort ... (hmmm, perhaps Fuji will be the source for Leica's M10 FF CMOS?)

Good to see they have at least some basic pro oriented features to back-up the name ... like a freaking PC port and flush compensation wheel.

To bad about the lack of a simple diopter adjustment ... here we go again! It was left very vague as to HOW you use correction lenses ... maybe you use M ones and they just couldn't say that in public.

The initial pics posted are lackluster, but that always seems the case with a new camera.

Personally, the camera is too complicated for me, and is APSC which I have no interest in ... but IF it could be set-up to ignore the jet-fighter cockpit stuff, and went to FF, and could also take M lenses ... they'd have my interest as an alternative second camera to buying two Ms for my work ... one with some decent AF lenses.

Which begs the question as to what the image circle of these new lenses will be ... can they cover full frame? That will be an indicator as to future possibilities of this system. If for APSC only it would not bode well for "Pro" longevity. Changing bodies is already enough, having to change the lens system also is not very desirable.

-Marc

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member

Well, from the DPR précis, the new Fuji flange-to-sensor allows pretty much any lens to be mounted on it, and they will be providing an adapter for Leica lenses specifically, AND any focal length can be dialled in via the menu to bring up the right bright lines in the finder. Brilliant—and if it has focus peaking as well, even better.

[later] I realise I posted after only reading to end of page one. So, continuing: Focus peaking, as I have written about elsewhere, is THE mainstay of pro video, and (once set up) allows complete confidence in where the lens has been focussed. In the pro. video world, where up until recently all finders were BW, you have contrast, peaking amount, and brightness controls, and tweaking these allows shooting with confidence in low light. The lack of an on-camera dioptre adjustment is a pity, though; I often share cameras with assistants when working.

In the meantime, I am experimenting with the much-less-attractive GXR M module:no AA filter and some seriously wide glass courtesy of Voigtlander. Fuji may have gone one better than no AA filter with the new array design, perhaps.

My reason for cancelling my NEX 7 order was the problems with UWAs: I need these. The GXR A12 module does not seem to have these problems, and 12Mp is—12Mp; if high quality, enough for most work, even paying work.

If Ricoh ever make a GXR with a full-frame sensor.... probably not technically possible but, one day, there will be a FF sensor camera that takes LTM or M mount lenses, with an accurate EVF with peaking, and when there is, I will be 100% satisfied, camera-wise.

I have ordered an X-Pro 1 but only with the 'standard' lens and the M adapter. One day, a FF version; in the meantime, happy New Year to all, kl

Last edited:

Sapphie

Oh well, there went the New Year's Resolution not to buy any more digital gear this year!

I love my X100. The X10 didn't do it for me. The X-Pro1 with 28/50/90 combo looks like it's EXACTLY what I want and would purchase from Leica with an M9-P if my camera piggy bank weren't so raided already from last year (not to mention that these are Leica lenses still made from unobtainium these days!). However, if the image quality matches my X100 then it's a no-brainer decision. :thumbs:
I MUST resist. I must resist. One of the joys of the X100 is that it is a fixed lens so Lens Buying Addiction is impossible and this is, in many ways, so liberating. The focal lengths announced so far do look attractive but I know from bitter experience that I am too lazy to take loads of lenses out, let alone change them often in the field. I *used* to do so and in fact this camera reminds me of my Mamiya 7.

I suppose, if nothing else, it would be attractive with just the standard lens and I could try to pretend it wasn't interchangeable.

No, I must resist, I have only had the X100 for 8 months ...

Lee

fotografz

I have just seen this link: http://www.fujifilm.ca/products/digital_cameras/x/fujifilm_x_pro1/features/page_02.html

We need to see some more and better images. Why does it happen so often that early published images with new cameras are so lack lustre these days! :confused:

Wait until after March, Jono will be sure to get one and then we will see what it it can really do! ;)
I wouldn't count on it. Jono has entered a 12 step program after an intervention staged by friends and family.

I believe he was approached by the Producers of the "Hoarders" TV program, but was bumped by Guy Mancusio.

:ROTFL:

-Marc :D

PeterA

I like too!!

DANG:eek: the hood on the lens is exactly like the hoods on my XPan lenses. Who made the Xpan lenses? Fuji did. Who made the XPan? Fuji did.

I read somewhere that the only company which Canon really fears is ...Fuji - why> because Fuji really knows how to make sensors...my expereince with the Xpan and H series lenses is that Fuji also knows how to make great lenses.

now if only Fuji would connect the dots and bring out a digital Xpan THAT would bring something truly exciting to the market...something that is differentiated and not me too - something that has both landscape and editorial shooting and usage capability

something that would see a couple of the elephant gun digi backs I use re- placed faster than I can yell at my trading dask "hit the bid - get me out .dump that stock or I'll sack your arse!" :ROTFL::ROTFL:

*probably off topic but I am hoping/wishing one day maybe..

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member

Have no doubt that this system will be spectacular .. But so far its just a better priced alternative to the M9 . (OK not a small feat). It will be better in some areas and not as good in others . Its essentially the same size as the M and with the 3 lenses (which would cover 90% of my shooting) equal . So its not a low priced small take anywhere camera . The x100 and the x10 both are alternatives that are closer to that specification.

Three areas with the M have always been a problem for me .....how will the X Pro 1 address them :

1. Ability to mount and focus longer lenses. Like the Nex 7 will the XP1 have focus peaking or something similar to allow accurate focusing with lens in the 90-180 FOV range. Nex 7 has several strong supporters that say YES.

2. High ISO performance ....the NEX 7 doesn t cut it here from my research . In fact its probably no better than the M9 which is marginal above 1000. (yes you can use it but you lose color and dynamic range right along with fighting noise ..so it cuts your hit ratio ...). The Fuji sensor looks reasonable 16MP/APSC it should on paper be about 1 EV better than the M9 . That will not be enough to matter ... ISO 1600 with a 1.4 lens barely cuts it at night ..fine unless something moves .

3. Flash ...possibilities look decent with a small integrated flash . This could be great if it can run off the camera battery .

If your primary system is MF or a DSLR then the XP1 looks like a great new system . If your bread and butter is an M9 system and the Leica glass it needs to provide some incremental benefit that extends the M system .

Cost will of course make the decision in many cases as the M bodies approach $10K and the lenses are often over $5K . I am really hoping for Leica to produce an alternative at Photokina.

ptomsu

Workshop Member

I like too!!

DANG:eek: the hood on the lens is exactly like the hoods on my XPan lenses. Who made the Xpan lenses? Fuji did. Who made the XPan? Fuji did.

I read somewhere that the only company which Canon really fears is ...Fuji - why> because Fuji really knows how to make sensors...my expereince with the Xpan and H series lenses is that Fuji also knows how to make great lenses.

now if only Fuji would connect the dots and bring out a digital Xpan THAT would bring something truly exciting to the market...something that is differentiated and not me too - something that has both landscape and editorial shooting and usage capability

something that would see a couple of the elephant gun digi backs I use re- placed faster than I can yell at my trading dask "hit the bid - get me out .dump that stock or I'll sack your arse!" :ROTFL::ROTFL:

*probably off topic but I am hoping/wishing one day maybe..
Well,

Fuji also makes the H-System lenses, which IMHO are pretty much on same level than Leica S-System lenses.

So the lenses are not what concerns me, it is the camera ....

Chris C

I'm a sucker for a well turned out lens hood with flat sides.

I like too!!.........I read somewhere that the only company which Canon really fears is ...Fuji - why> because Fuji really knows how to make sensors...my expereince with the Xpan and H series lenses is that Fuji also knows how to make great lenses..........
Through this discussion, that's what I've been thinking. Earlier, Jono suggested the NEX was a Chameleon camera, which I took to mean a useful camera platform for a wide range, make, and style of lenses. This Fuji camera looks interesting to me because Fuji made fabulous large format, and medium format lenses, and this camera gives a platform for their undoubted lens making talent. I used a Fuji 6x9 roll-film camera for quite a while, and it's lens was the equal of any of the roll-film images I made using my Sneider, Mamiya [7], Nikon [Plaubel Makina], Zeiss, or Rodenstock lenses.

This camera looks a serious development for Fuji, though all the usual caveats apply; wait for proper tests of it's capability rather than taking speculations on trust. I love the idea of a selectable zoom finder [I would have loved one in the 'M'], but I'm puzzled by the absence of an [essential for me] variable dioptre correction........... Still; ..... nice lens hood.

Fuji could well be back in the game of making cameras for artists.

.............. Chris

Last edited:

Lars

I like too!!

Actually this appears to be a metal hood, which would make it even better than the Xpan plastic hood. From the fujifilm-x website: "Precision-Milled Metal Lens Hood (included with each lens)".

BTW full marketing blurb here, in case you missed it:
http://fujifilm-x.com/x-pro1/en/

Shashin

If your primary system is MF or a DSLR then the XP1 looks like a great new system . If your bread and butter is an M9 system and the Leica glass it needs to provide some incremental benefit that extends the M system .

Cost will of course make the decision in many cases as the M bodies approach $10K and the lenses are often over $5K . I am really hoping for Leica to produce an alternative at Photokina.
Personally, I use my primary system, so a second system simply sits unused. The idea of a second system just turns me into a camera collector as I rarely use it for important work and simply get snapshots with it and maybe the occasional video.

But I think cost is a more compelling reason for the camera to do well. There is obviously a demand for this type of form factor (I will not call this a rangefinder) and Leica is out of reach for many folks and the more reasonable options are not ideal. I think Fuji has done a fine job of bring this type of simple camera to an appreciative audience, yet still a limited market--the other mirrorless systems are really trying for a broader consumer base where Fuji is looking at enthusiasts.

But like you, if I had a M9, I could not see using this except perhaps as a backup body for when the elephant steps on my camera or an economical second body, perhaps for longer focal lengths. But I would want to make sure the images have a similar feel (color, contrast, etc.) so they will blend in a body of work. If I was starting out to put together a primary system, I would certainly look at this as a possible choice instead of a Leica or DSLR, especially since a Leica budget could go a long way with this system.

Shashin

Call me a heathen, but I prefer plastic lens hoods. They are better protection for a lens, lighter, and easier to take care of and replace.

jsnack

One disappointing thing is the lack of an adjustable diopter correction in the viewfinder...you'll have to get the old screw-in kind to adjust for your vision.