The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

new Fuji X Pro1 camera

raist3d

Re: new camera

To be frank, I think that is good but it doesn't blow me away as in "wow, no AA filter." But that said, I think that's fine. I am not seeing anything the K-5 couldn't do but again, that's fine.

I think it's a given it will have good image quality (noise seems worse than the K-5 judging from HUGO shots but that could be pre production), but it's not bad. And again, I think that's fine. So assuming say image quality "as good as the best of elsewhere" the differentiators I think become:

- form factor (and the fact you have excellent image quality in that form factor)
- ergonomics/usability
- the view finder (which is unique)
- the lenses (fast and apparently 'good enough')
- probably the best JPEG engine in the market when it comes out.

- Raist

PS: Be warned, AF won't be "fast" - confirmed. I still think if they have excellent manual focusing (camera lens responds fast to the fly by wire and accurately and you can focus well on view finder) then it is a non issue at the intended market, at least a big part of it.

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2012/01/fujifilm-x-pro-1-hands-on-intoxicatingly-simple/

"The camera’s one drawback, and Fuji has told us that this will be the case on the production models, is that the autofocus isn’t going to be as snappy as it is on other cameras. Fuji says thats because that’s not what this camera is about. Fine, but it’s going to annoy the hell out of you if you’re used to a good point-and-shoot camera or DSLR."

Update: uh oh "Fuji tells us it’ll cost about $US2400." Hmmm... that better be with a lens!

Tim

Re: new Fuji X Pro1 camera (formerly called "new camera")

I may stand alone here but I do wish (in a positive sense) that the X Pro1 was the same size as the X100. Technically that may have been impossible/challenging/expensive (pick one), they managed an APS-C in the X100, why not the XPro1?

Each to their own of course on this, there is no right or wrong, many may prefer the existing size. I just think that seeing how the M9 is FF the Fuji could/should have been smaller.

I'm sure it will be fine instrument, looking at the price suggestions does make me think the X100 is a bargain and the GRX-M mount even more so.

Last edited:

Brian Mosley

Tim, I think the size is a combination of look-a-leica design (and if the ergonomics are proven, why not?) and the method chosen for the hybrid viewfinder. I'll reserve judgement until I get to try one in my hands (could be an expensive exercise! lol)

I think Sigma took the better route with the DP1/DP2 to be honest - I'd rather pay less for the body attached to a prime lens if it could be made overall cheaper, lighter, more compact.

Give me a couple of X100 variants with the new sensor advantage (once it is refined - still unconvinced by the impressive sample above) and 35mm / 90mm f2 lenses and I'll be happier, I think.

Cheers

Brian

retow

PS: Be warned, AF won't be "fast" - confirmed. I still think if they have excellent manual focusing (camera lens responds fast to the fly by wire and accurately and you can focus well on view finder) then it is a non issue at the intended market, at least a big part of it.

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2012/01/fujifilm-x-pro-1-hands-on-intoxicatingly-simple/

"The camera’s one drawback, and Fuji has told us that this will be the case on the production models, is that the autofocus isn’t going to be as snappy as it is on other cameras. Fuji says thats because that’s not what this camera is about. Fine, but it’s going to annoy the hell out of you if you’re used to a good point-and-shoot camera or DSLR."

Update: uh oh "Fuji tells us it’ll cost about $US2400." Hmmm... that better be with a lens!
It better be among best in class for either AF or MF. If not, we will see some frustrated users soon.

V

Vivek

To be frank, I think that is good but it doesn't blow me away as in "wow, no AA filter." But that said, I think that's fine. I am not seeing anything the K-5 couldn't do but again, that's fine.
That image is impressive to me because the details are there on the shiny back of the man's head to the shadows of the foliage which are already in the shadow. This is subtropical light. Very impressive tonal/dynamic range intact with the details.

Though I have not looked (hard), I am unsure if the Pentax K5 can do that.

vieri

That image is impressive to me because the details are there on the shiny back of the man's head to the shadows of the foliage which are already in the shadow. This is subtropical light. Very impressive tonal/dynamic range intact with the details.

Though I have not looked (hard), I am unsure if the Pentax K5 can do that.
Indeed - the new Fuji show an impressive dynamic range already (let's not forget it's a pre-production camera); irrespective of what the Pentax or other cameras are able to do or not, it looks promising indeed :D

dhsimmonds

The spec's of the XPro1 tell us that AF is by contrast detection which whilst much improved over earlier P & S cameras can never be as fast or accurate as Phase detection AF systems as used in most DSLR's. :(

emr

The spec's of the XPro1 tell us that AF is by contrast detection which whilst much improved over earlier P & S cameras can never be as fast or accurate as Phase detection AF systems as used in most DSLR's.
Really not as accurate? I'm a Pentax user and it is general knowledge that AF isn't one of the better aspects of the brand. With Pentax contrast detect AF is almost always MORE accurate than phase detect but significantly slower. And I thought that's the case for some other brands as well. Now, continuous AF may be a different case.

dhsimmonds

emr
It seems that our experiences differ! Although for the type of subjects that I shoot with my X100, I have no problem with it's AF which is also contrast detection.

On another note the following roadmap for additional Fujinon lenses for the APro1 are as follows:

2012:

14mm f/2.8

18-72mm f/4.0 with IS (Image stabilization).

2013:

28mm f/2.8 pancake

23mm f/2.0

72-200mm f/4.0 IS

12-24mm f/4.0 IS

If this rumour is is proved then it is an interesting line up. Together with the M adaptor and doubtless further adaptors to come, this should give Sony something to think about for their NEX range! I do like the roadmap idea for future lens introductions, Oympus were always good at that when they first introduced their 4/3 cameras.

The addition of IS lenses is also interesting as is the published specs for sensor cleaning

jonoslack

Well I'm inclined to agree with you here . . . and if the X100 is anything to go by the manual focusing in the optical viewfinder is almost useless - the square shows the area that's focused . . . . but it's quite large and usually covers a considerable depth of the image - and the focusing can be on any of that. Of course, using the EVF it's not so bad as you can get a pretty good idea of exactly where the focus point is . . and you can zoom in if you want.

I can't really see how they can do it differently from the X100.

. . . . I suppose it's just a bee in my personal bonnet, but it seems to me that if you are going to have a non-slr optical viewfinder, then you need some means of REALLY showing you what you've ACTUALLY focused on (whether it's manual or AF). The X100 couldn't show you this, maybe Fuji have pulled something out of the bag here . . maybe!

Ben Rubinstein

The 60 2.4 (90 2.4 with crop) is being marketed as the portrait lens
It may be marketed as such but especially as they say they're going after wedding shooters, it really isn't. A 50mm f1.8 would be the slowest that you could call a portrait lens. F2 is OK I suppose but any slower than that and it really isn't a portrait lens, especially not for the wedding market. Macro lenses are also hardly optimised for portrait shooting.

monza

90mm equiv. should be fine for portraits, that is, unless the desired effect is for the iris to be in focus and the eyelash not... ;)

scooter

It may be marketed as such but especially as they say they're going after wedding shooters, it really isn't. A 50mm f1.8 would be the slowest that you could call a portrait lens. F2 is OK I suppose but any slower than that and it really isn't a portrait lens, especially not for the wedding market. Macro lenses are also hardly optimised for portrait shooting.
I highly doubt that it is a "traditional" macro with the long throw and slow focusing. The magnification is only 50%.