The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

new Fuji X Pro1 camera

Godfrey

Re: new Fuji X Pro1 camera (formerly called "new camera")

This is not my style but with the Fuji cameras you could shoot RAW and develop the jpegs later still in camera and in multiple different ways. This allows you to have your cake and eat it too.
It's not a new thing. Same with the Olympus E-1 from 2003 and the later models. The E-5 has substantially more options: it has customizable art filters as well as white balance, color space, saturation, contrast, sharpness, and color space. The E-1 can also save to JPEG or TIFF. The Olympus C8080WZ fixed lens camera had these capabilities too (I had one of those in 2004).

Hardly ever used the feature, however. ;-)

Lars

A few separate discussions going on here - the product itself, each individual's needs/wants, and Fuji's market positioning with the product.

Market-wise I think Fuji has found/created a niche to fill - there is no obvious competitor in the same price range. Perhaps the MFT and NEX cameras are comparable, but at the same time they are different.

Regarding my own want and needs, well, I have to say that the Xpro1 seems attractive so far. But it doesn't replace my Nikon, and as a complement to my Nikon DSLR, hmm... MFT cameras like the GX1 are a lot cheaper and smaller (although camera body weight is pretty close). It's going to be a while before I would consider getting an Xpro1. Image quality would be the one persuasive factor to change my mind in that regard.

V

Vivek

The key still is the IQ because of the hype. If that is even close to the truth, that does it for me.

I find the mirrorless interchangeable cameras that sport an EVF useful despite their unergonomic designs. That appears to be another plus for the Fuji cam.

raist3d

All the more reason why one wouldn't want them. ;)
Why not speak for yourself then? ;-) I sure want them and a lot
of photographers that due to different reasons and needs shoot Jpeg. For you it's irrelevant and thats fine too.

Consider that the Nikon $8,000 USD d3x has jpegs with custom uploadable curves. There are reasons for that and it's not because soccer moms are using it.

So fuji doing this is great since they make a lot of the film used by pros. The addition of two pro film simualtions in addition to the previous three is only welcome. You can just ignore that feature. Win win.

V

Vivek

Consider that the Nikon $8,000 USD d3x has jpegs with custom uploadable curves. There are reasons for that and it's not because soccer moms are using it.
That is apples and oranges situation. No one else forces down Fuji profiles only. Those custom profiles can be for anything, including some of the Fuji films.

Btw, when I post something, it is out of my own free will. I do not speak for anyone else.

I assume others do too!

raist3d

That is apples and oranges situation. No one else forces down Fuji profiles only. Those custom profiles can be for anything, including some of the Fuji films.
I don't think it's an apple an oranges situation. That nikon has this feature (not just on the d3x) doesn't change the point which is why have Jpeg. Unless your contention is exclusively to lack of more options to the jpeg engine.

Btw, when I post something, it is out of my own free will. I do not speak for anyone else.

I assume others do too!
That's fine but when someone says "one would" sounds like he or she are getting to speak for the needs and wants of others without a clear separation of individual needs and preferences. Hence my speak for yourself comment.

V

Vivek

It is not a simple matter of Jpeg output when shooting with a profile. For a given profile and WB an exposure is made (assuming anything other than manual mode is used for exposure). That affects a lot of things in an image.

As for your interpretation of how I word a sentence, I can not do anything about it.

Godfrey

I assume others do too!
+100

To me, the Fuji X-Pro1 looks like a great camera and I'm sure it will make great photographs.

However, it's not the camera I want, not because of any particular deficiency or performance issue, but because I want a simpler design with less stuff in it. I don't care about AF, rather have a rangefinder since I already have an excellent TTL electronic camera AND an excellent optical SLR camera. I want to use my existing lens kit without need to buy into yet-another-lens-line to get the most out of the camera. I don't need motion capture or multi-mode metering or film simulations or many of the other features of the X-Pro1—whether they're good or not is irrelevant. My other cameras have all that stuff and I use it only very occasionally. To me, they pose a distraction just by being there for what I'm after at the moment.

Whatever other issues I might find with the Fuji, whether ergonomic or menu complexity, or handling feel, or balance ... they're all secondary to what I'm working towards right now, which is a simpler tool, less distraction with the tool, and more concentration on the photography itself.

Something as simple and distraction free as an M4-2 is impossible in the digital camera world, but I'm going to get as close to that as I possibly can for my next camera purchase ... which will likely be my last for a good, long time to come.

Tim

With the X100, I routinely shoot RAW+jpeg and mostly use the jpeg. The in-cam jpeg engine is superb.

Brian
I've been doing this for years, with most my cameras, for some smaller prints the jpg is perfectly fine, it encourages me to get the jpg right at time of exposure, then I won't need to spend longer at the compooter tweaking it. In turn the RAW is better.

@ Godfrey - IMHO I think the jpgs from the GXR are particularly good also. Have you found this or looked at them after doing a RAW comparision?

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member

I've been doing this for years, with most my cameras, for some smaller prints the jpg is perfectly fine, it encourages me to get the jpg right at time of exposure, then I won't need to spend longer at the compooter tweaking it. In turn the RAW is better.
+1 here too. The x100 jpgs are excellent although I do shoot with both jpeg & raw and use raw for final images. However, the out of camera jpg files need only minor changes if at all most of the time. IMHO.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member

+2; the better the JPEGs look SOOC, the easier the final image processing will be. I have been working like this for years as well.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member

Does this price ($1700) include a lens?

Martin:LOL::confused:
Bwahahaha .... :ROTFL:

The big worry is that my pre order will be fulfilled and no lenses to go with it. See, it really is like a Leica! :eek:

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member

I have ordered mine with just the 35 and the M-mount—'nuff said.

Though, is it true that it will not have focus peaking??? That might be a deal killer, unless there's some other focussing magic

K

raist3d

It is not a simple matter of Jpeg output when shooting with a profile. For a given profile and WB an exposure is made (assuming anything other than manual mode is used for exposure). That affects a lot of things in an image.
Not sure what you are referring to. You mean the Nikon? All I am saying is you can shoot JPEG in either of these cameras and they have JPEG for a set of reasons. Obviously if that doesn't work for you cool, I am not deriding that but then I don't get why you make fun of Fuji here.

As for your interpretation of how I word a sentence, I can not do anything about it.
Actually you can. You can say that's not what you meant. :) It's cool.

- Raist

V

Vivek

Not sure what you are referring to. You mean the Nikon? All I am saying is you can shoot JPEG in either of these cameras and they have JPEG for a set of reasons. Obviously if that doesn't work for you cool, I am not deriding that but then I don't get why you make fun of Fuji here.

Actually you can. You can say that's not what you meant. :) It's cool.

- Raist

I have shot with many of Fuji's films (Gifted away the last few cartons of Velvia a long while to a friend) under various conditions. If I "deride" and equipment/tool, it is my prerogative based on my own experience. If you or anyone else take that personally, it is not my problem!

Again, I post for myself and if you choose to interpret what I post according your taste, I can not do much about it. But, I do not think it is kosher to post something interpreting what I posted.;)