The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

new Fuji X Pro1 camera

raist3d

Re: new Fuji X Pro1 camera (formerly called "new camera")

I have shot with many of Fuji's films (Gifted away the last few cartons of Velvia a long while to a friend) under various conditions. If I "deride" and equipment/tool, it is my prerogative based on my own experience. If you or anyone else take that personally, it is not my problem!
I am not taking it personally. I am merely pointing out it seems kind of silly to knock the Fuji on that aspect and why. Note that I have been consistently saying that I think it's fine that you don't care about the JPEG film simulations.

Again, I post for myself and if you choose to interpret what I post according your taste, I can not do much about it. But, I do not think it is kosher to post something interpreting what I posted.;)
Once again, I said it was cool and not an issue. I am focusing on the statement itself and yes, I think knocking down the Fuji on an aspect you don't use nor don't care when the camera doesn't seem to get in the way when you don't care about that aspect is kinda silly. That's just an opinion on yours, not "taking things personally."

Just because a feature isn't for me doesn't mean that I think it's useless or silly for a company to include in. It seems to me that you think it's Fuji's waste of time in a camera in this category, but I am pointing out that pretty much every manufacturer, including with high end models, does care about JPEG modes and that there are reasons for it. Normal conversation.

I welcome any corrections to any misinterpretations.

- Raist

Ben Rubinstein

The 85mm is a portrait focal length for a 35mm frame. There really isn't a comparable lens for APS. So no APC camera will satisfy him--it is not a Fuji problem per se.
50mm f1.4, every single DSLR manufacturer I know has one.

And as for the 'satisfy' quip, try not to take a camera personally, objectively there is no fast portrait lens, period. Therefore two wedding photographers here have already said here that the system is lacking for wedding photography as practiced today unlike what Fuji seems to be marketing it as. Why are you trying to argue that fact and why are you taking it personally?

Martin S

if $1700. does not include a lens, Fuji may be aiming too high for me.

Lens and body $ 2350 seems kind of steep to me especially if we are beta testers??????????

Martin

Martin S

Fuji may be on to something with their new sensor. I attended an Ophthalmic Imaging Symposium yesterday where lots of research papers were discussed. One of them involved a new high resolution imaging technique which was able to image the various cones in the fovea, and with the use of special dyes were able to indicate the red, green, and blue cones. They were completely random in arrangement much like color film. So Fuji may be on to something with increased randomization of colored pixels in the sensor. After all, humans don't need an anti aliasing filter.

Martin

henningw

This interview: http://tinyurl.com/7r5dyql and others I've seen with Ms. Baker leaves me wondering.

Mainly, wondering why Fuji would leave such an important product announcement and interviews in the hands of someone who really doesn't understand very much of what is going on in a camera. The part about register, back focus and telecentricity is just silly.

I hope the camera matches enough of the hype that some people will feel satisfied, but since I know a large number of early adopters of the X100 who have sold or are trying to sell their cameras with expectations not met, I fear that at the price point of the Pro, there will be a lot more.

They better have that whole MF thing worked out well.

Henning

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member

I hope the camera matches enough of the hype that some people will feel satisfied, but since I know a large number of early adopter of the X100 who have sold or are trying to sell their cameras with expectations not met, I fear that at the price point of the Pro, there will be a lot more.
I've seen the same behaviour and I have to wonder what the heck people expected from the X100 when they bought in to it because personally I find it to be an excellent camera with the possible exception of some confusing menu and control settings. As far as image quality is concerned it has turned out to be excellent. If you thought that it was a rangefinder or an alternative to a Leica M9 well then I'm sorry to say that you shouldn't have bought it in the first place. I don't the see the X100 as being an over-hyped camera other than by those who wanted to believe that it is something that it isn't.

Personally, it's my experience WITH the X100 to date that had me pre-order the X Pro1 system. Fuji have nothing but impress me with their recent cameras which appear to be designed by camera users rather than computer programmers.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member

Graham wrote:

Personally, it's my experience WITH the X100 to date that had me pre-order the X Pro1 system. Fuji have nothing but impress me with their recent cameras which appear to be designed by camera users rather than computer programmers.
+1

And that on the back of the SPro series; Fuji gets colour. I did not like the S5Pro's interface for fast work (reviewing images was a total PITA) but the X-100 images and interface worked for me (including the allegedly easy-to-bump exp. comp. dial—it never moved by itself when I was shooting!) and the IQ is superb, IMHO.

I have one of the new ones on pre-order, but only with the 35/1.4 and the M-mount. If it handles UWAs well, then I will shift across; if not, I will stick with the GXR-M which (surprisingly for me) continues to impress.

bowlachili

I hope the camera matches enough of the hype that some people will feel satisfied, but since I know a large number of early adopters of the X100 who have sold or are trying to sell their cameras with expectations not met, I fear that at the price point of the Pro, there will be a lot more.
I'm glad for disappointed early adopters--I bought my X100 used for a pretty reasonable price. Updated the firmware, and it's been a great camera, replacing my dslrs for daily use. Its so small and inconspicuous and easy to use, yet having excellent image quality. Also, it's my hunch that most satisfied users are quietly going about their business using the camera, while the disenchanted are vocally making their disappointment well known on the soapbox that is the internet (like disappointed children whose toys didn't meet their every whim).

I hope there are more disappointed early adopters of the X-Pro1 so I can help them with their disappointment ;)

retow

This interview: http://tinyurl.com/7r5dyql and others I've seen with Ms. Baker leaves me wondering.

Mainly, wondering why Fuji would leave such an important product announcement and interviews in the hands of someone who really doesn't understand very much of what is going on in a camera. The part about register, back focus and telecentricity is just silly.

They better have that whole MF thing worked out well.

Henning
The X100 has a few quirks and warts, but which camera has none. However, USD 1100 for a aps-c sensor which delivers the goods coupled with an excellent fast prime lens is not something I see any competitor to offer, and all wrapped into a premium build compact, great looking body. Oh, and I almost forgot to mention the brilliant OVF/EVF. Now as far as the "large number" of frustrated early adopters are concerned, do you mind being more specific here?

Terry

I've seen the same behaviour and I have to wonder what the heck people expected from the X100 when they bought in to it because personally I find it to be an excellent camera with the possible exception of some confusing menu and control settings. As far as image quality is concerned it has turned out to be excellent. If you thought that it was a rangefinder or an alternative to a Leica M9 well then I'm sorry to say that you shouldn't have bought it in the first place. I don't the see the X100 as being an over-hyped camera other than by those who wanted to believe that it is something that it isn't.

I sold my X100 but for one reason, I wasn't using it enough. There were aspects of it that I really liked and yes the IQ was excellent but when I grabbed a camera to go out at that time it wasn't the X100. So, I sold it. Also, for some people they realize 35mm isn't their preferred focal length. I know if I only have one lens to work with, I want it a bit longer.

ustein

Contributing Editor

>I know if I only have one lens to work with, I want it a bit longer.

Yes, and for me that lens would be a zoom :). Lets wait to see how good the X Pro1 image quality is in comparison to the NEX-7.

The IQ and DR are THE most important things for me as far as the X Pro 1 is concerned. I've just not seen enough photos from this camera (taken by someone who knows what they are doing) to make me get in line to buy one.

Fuji color is great but the IQ is much more important to me than the color as color can be tweaked in post.. IQ & DR is what it is out of the camera.

F

frelwa

The IQ and DR are THE most important things for me as far as the X Pro 1 is concerned. I've just not seen enough photos from this camera (taken by someone who knows what they are doing) to make me get in line to buy one.

Fuji color is great but the IQ is much more important to me than the color as color can be tweaked in post.. IQ & DR is what it is out of the camera.
Does this help?

http://vladdodan.ro/blog/fuji-x-pro-1-hands-on-preview/

Brian Mosley

True Jim, but I'm guessing that many Leica owners will also want to know how well the body will support manually focusing for use with their lenses.

Personally, I'm very interested in the best IQ possible from this sensor in competent hands.

Brian

V

Vivek

True Jim, but I'm guessing that many Leica owners will also want to know how well the body will support manually focusing for use with their lenses.

Brian
Unlikely to fare better than the Fuji lenses. No AF either.

Rawfa

All I want is for someone to be able to adapt these lenses to the NEX body.