The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

new Fuji X Pro1 camera

nowherean

Re: new Fuji X Pro1 camera (formerly called "new camera")

If only they offered focus peaking for manual focus lenses. That's a sad omission from such a nice camera, guys.

jonoslack

If only they offered focus peaking for manual focus lenses. That's a sad omission from such a nice camera, guys.
I quite agree . . . after 5 months using focus peaking I'm absolutely 100% certain that I won't buy any camera (which I want to use for manual focusing) which doesn't have it.

On the other hand, they should be able to add it as a firmware update.

F

frelwa

Unfortunately the implementation of the focusing scale on this lens doesn't appear to work all that well, according to this review.
I hadn't seen that review. It does find serious problems with manual focus, the focusing scale, and optical quality control with this lens :shocked: (although "Featured Comment" by Jeffrey Coggin is more flattering). :p

However, my interest is in the manual-lens-like features of this design, which I wish Fuji would copy, rather than flaws in Olympus's implementation of it, which I hope Fuji would'n't repeat. :eek:

ashwinrao1

Ditto, though I wonder if there are any trademarks on the tech...only Ricoh and Sony seem to have it....

Brian Mosley

I quite agree . . . after 5 months using focus peaking I'm absolutely 100% certain that I won't buy any camera (which I want to use for manual focusing) which doesn't have it.

On the other hand, they should be able to add it as a firmware update.
How would you compare focus peaking to an optical rangefinder Jon?

Thanks

Brian

jonoslack

How would you compare focus peaking to an optical rangefinder Jon?

Thanks

Brian
HI Brian
well, if it's a rangefinder - then they're just different - both good . . . but I don't think the X1 is having a rangefinder - just an optical viewfinder with an overlay like the X100. I'd much much rather have focus peaking than that.

raist3d

I rather have them focus on offering good lenses for their system
Than focus peaking. The nex mount may have that but the nex mount
Lenses in general aren't very good (relatively speaking). The last two announced primes analogous to Olympus two primes seem good
Other than that eek. But I have a hunch Sony is going to fix more of that this year.

I get the impression fuji lenses are all good out of the gate and having the right focal lengths and lens speeds is a good sign for a new system.

Brian Mosley

I rather have them focus on offering good lenses for their system
Than focus peaking. The nex mount may have that but the nex mount
Lenses in general aren't very good (relatively speaking). The last two announced primes analogous to Olympus two primes seem good
Other than that eek. But I have a hunch Sony is going to fix more of that this year.

I get the impression fuji lenses are all good out of the gate and having the right focal lengths and lens speeds is a good sign for a new system.
I haven't used focus peaking, but it seems to be highly regarded by those who do use it. Hopefully it will become one of those 'must have' tick box features and we can all have access - if there's a will (in marketing) there's a way.

I'm not so sure about the fuji lenses - I wondered whether the softness we were seeing in the samples was due to sensor or lens - difficult to say until someone tries the adapter with something known to be sharp.

Cheers

Brian

raist3d

I haven't used focus peaking, but it seems to be highly regarded by those who do use it. Hopefully it will become one of those 'must have' tick box features and we can all have access - if there's a will (in marketing) there's a way.
Well I am thinking there could be a patent on it. Some say "but Panasonic has it" - that still doesn't get around the fact those companies could have a patent/sharing agreement.

Personally if the manual focus magnified works, I think that can be more than good enough. But it has to work fast, etc. I have tried focus peaking and it's very nice but it's not the end all be all when there's lower light or higher iso kicks in.

I'm not so sure about the fuji lenses - I wondered whether the softness we were seeing in the samples was due to sensor or lens - difficult to say until someone tries the adapter with something known to be sharp.
I think it's part "first samples syndrome", part JPEG engine (probably more detail from RAW), etc. The shots from Hugo show quite a bit of detail. I agree we need to see some more samples to judge the lenses, but I do know Fuji does have "lens design know how." And I know the Nex lenses in general aren't that good, so taking that into account, I rather go with a system with better lenses than one that doesn't have in general as good lenses.

But taken as a "tendency" until we see more final evidence the Fuji lenses are done right.

Cheers

Brian
- Raist

vieri

Hi Jono,

as you know, I am considering adding a Nex to my M setup (waiting for the Nex 7 to be out, though, to have more choice); seeing you have one and seem pretty happy with it, I was wondering if you could share with us you percentage of Leica M lenses use on the Nex vs Sony lenses use, and most importantly how do you find the process - how do you do it, do you open the lens, focus, stop it down, compose, shoot? Of course it will never be as straightforward as using a M body, but the question in my mind is how cumbersome it is in real life (reviewers must be taken with a grain of salt) :D

I am sure such information from such a member as you will be much appreciated not only by me, hence the forum post rather than a PM :D

Hope you are doing great!

HI Brian
well, if it's a rangefinder - then they're just different - both good . . . but I don't think the X1 is having a rangefinder - just an optical viewfinder with an overlay like the X100. I'd much much rather have focus peaking than that.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member

ex Jono:

after 5 months using focus peaking I'm absolutely 100% certain that I won't buy any camera (which I want to use for manual focusing) which doesn't have it.
Focus peaking is used in all pro video (so Panasonic and Sony and JVC) and has been for 15+ years. I shot an interior today with a GXR-M Rocoh (this has peaking plus magnification) and the results are superb.

Re, process: I started with open aperture > press buttons > move camera on tripd so I could do the mag. + peaking thing the right depth into the image > and ended the session using mag and peak while stopped down, because at the pixel level, wide open or stopped down (I was using a CV 15) made no difference to the pixel level sharpness: peaking works regardless. This is a first and, for me, a major first.

F

frelwa

Has this thread died?

Brian Mosley

...or the OMD gets released and matches the hype :watch:

A good time to wait and see :angel:

Cheers

Brian

raist3d

...or the OMD gets released and matches the hype :watch:

A good time to wait and see :angel:

Cheers

Brian
It won't match the hype (which product ever does? :) ) but I think it will can be a very "sexy" kit if they price it right. I wonder what the sensor will do. I am betting on a GX1 sensor tweaked which to me it's just "ok." Would love to see more a GH2 class tech in there.

- Raist