The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

new Fuji X Pro1 camera

Dale Allyn

Re: new Fuji X Pro1 camera (formerly called "new camera")

Apparently available in Bangkok and demo at my favourite pusher's the coming weekend:
I'm leaving Bangkok early in the morning, so I'm safe from such temptations for now! :D

I'm looking forward to handling this kit, but I'm not in a big hurry. I tend to like to wait for the kinks to get smoothed out before jumping in.

I've carried a pretty big kit at times when traveling here to BKK (two DSLRS + up to 7 lenses at times), and this would be a very nice change for such travel. Looking forward to learning how well the M adapter interfaces, etc.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member

Jorgen: brilliant. What's the widest M-mount lens you have?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

Jorgen: brilliant. What's the widest M-mount lens you have?
Ha ha... I have none. I try hard to concentrate on the (too many) systems that I do have. My interest for the X-Pro1 would be for the native lenses, which would make it rather expensive. If an adapter for Zeiss CY should turn up, that would be an interesting option, but at this stage, few know how well manual focusing works with the camera.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member

If you do get a Fuji before me, with the M-mount, then I will lend you the CV 12/5.6, as I will be heading off to Italy for a workshop tour soon. If the 12 works, then it's all good, as far as I am concerned.

Let me know! Cheers my friend, Kit

ptomsu

Workshop Member

After all the issues with the X10, I doubt I am still interested in the XPro1.

I would say that Fuji should first get their act together in delivering what they promise and this consistently, before I would get interested again.

cam

Damn, they look good. :bugeyes:

I love the sensor quality - the whole package is more than I want though... I think I'd like a version of the X100 with this sensor and a longer focal length - maybe 60mm f1.4 for portraits.
that would be sweet! (though, honestly, a 50/1.4 would do me :p )

raist3d

Damn, they look good. :bugeyes:

I love the sensor quality - the whole package is more than I want though... I think I'd like a version of the X100 with this sensor and a longer focal length - maybe 60mm f1.4 for portraits.

Cheers

Brian

Yup, they look damn good indeed. They are still resized down, but to be frank, I am getting past the looking at 100% if the tones and reasonable detail + DR is there. And these are JPEG! But then Fuji has one of the very best jepgs engine around.

Doesn't hurt to use such attractive models :)

- Raist

jonoslack

Thanks Robert
They look great . . . but I think the photographer and the lighting has something to do with it as well!
Certainly, the camera hasn't spoiled anything (but you wouldn't expect it too).

arild

Found some RAWs somewhere, can´t remember the site (maybe it was linked here?).

I think the 6400 iso sample actually looked quite good when rendered in silkypix (which I must say is the largest p.o.s. software I´ve ever used), could push it a stop and still get acceptable detail from the shadows. 2 stops could probably be usable, but I don´t think I´d venture further.

I had a huge crush on the M9 until I heard about this camera, but now it seems I don´t have to save up quite as much money for a decent kit. I´d go with the 18 and the 60 (I´d rather have all of them, though), by the way, complementing with a 24 and possibly a 35 in my Canon kit for high speed shooting.

pophoto

I put in an early pre-order and it seems I am moments away from pulling away from it. The new samples coming out now are to my eyes amazing.

Fuji is a serious heavyweight when it comes to sensor technology, one thing I will miss if I pull away, but camera handling is just as important if not more so. Still, it seems I bringing up the old topic of their poorly implemented AF and MF performance, but the camera is now $1700, so I won't take it lightly this time. Improved isn't good enough, sorry!

I don't want to ruin my 'wanting to love Fuji', what is courageous otherwise by a company bringing out new products so soon into this competitive market and offering serious options.

However, I bought into the Fuji X100 and X10, but ultimately fail me for the same reasons. Maybe the fat ugly Ricoh GXR with the A12 M-mount module! Or even a couple of primes for my D800E order! I backed away from the Nex-7 because I bought the 5n for my wife and she loves it, but I also cannot get past the handling of it. It's a Nintendo with a lens attached to the front of it. Although I think of Sony as highly innovative and offers great ideas that should honed in on and developed into stronger products, maybe the Nex-7 is such a product, but no one has clearly voiced that out either!

I realized that small sensors isn't the way for me, but at the same time manufacturers want to go this directions because of costs and making products for the masses, something that I cannot fully steer away from, so while APS-C is the smallest sensor size I feel I am willing to settle for, novelty seems to be the marketing scheme by all these mirrorless cameras.

D-SLRs and above seems to be the only sectors where the PRO cameras try to remain as PRO cameras. I feel like lesser models improve with time but shouldn't stop anyone in their tracks that they can use for serious work, and higher end cameras continues with evolution. They offer solid cameras. Perhaps mirrorless camera are just that, being at it's birth.

Anyways, I thought I'd write something waking up in the middle of the night (dozed off putting my son to sleep at 9pm) just to pass time, feeling a little fed up with Fuji and wondering if others feel like by now? {Don't like it, don't buy I hear a wondering voice inside my head :)}

Pelao

I put in an early pre-order and it seems I am moments away from pulling away from it. The new samples coming out now are to my eyes amazing.

Fuji is a serious heavyweight when it comes to sensor technology, one thing I will miss if I pull away, but camera handling is just as important if not more so. Still, it seems I bringing up the old topic of their poorly implemented AF and MF performance, but the camera is now $1700, so I won't take it lightly this time. Improved isn't good enough, sorry!

I don't want to ruin my 'wanting to love Fuji', what is courageous otherwise by a company bringing out new products so soon into this competitive market and offering serious options.

However, I bought into the Fuji X100 and X10, but ultimately fail me for the same reasons. Maybe the fat ugly Ricoh GXR with the A12 M-mount module! Or even a couple of primes for my D800E order! I backed away from the Nex-7 because I bought the 5n for my wife and she loves it, but I also cannot get past the handling of it. It's a Nintendo with a lens attached to the front of it. Although I think of Sony as highly innovative and offers great ideas that should honed in on and developed into stronger products, maybe the Nex-7 is such a product, but no one has clearly voiced that out either!

I realized that small sensors isn't the way for me, but at the same time manufacturers want to go this directions because of costs and making products for the masses, something that I cannot fully steer away from, so while APS-C is the smallest sensor size I feel I am willing to settle for, novelty seems to be the marketing scheme by all these mirrorless cameras.

D-SLRs and above seems to be the only sectors where the PRO cameras try to remain as PRO cameras. I feel like lesser models improve with time but shouldn't stop anyone in their tracks that they can use for serious work, and higher end cameras continues with evolution. They offer solid cameras. Perhaps mirrorless camera are just that, being at it's birth.

Anyways, I thought I'd write something waking up in the middle of the night (dozed off putting my son to sleep at 9pm) just to pass time, feeling a little fed up with Fuji and wondering if others feel like by now? {Don't like it, don't buy I hear a wondering voice inside my head :)}
Why not cancel the pre-order, then play with the camera in person when it's available? To pre-order you have to be sure. Reviews and views from others (especially photographers who review rather than people who just review) are a big help but there is little of that yet available.

Last edited:

pophoto

Well my experience with pre-orders, I can get my hands on it early and non of that waiting, seems like forever to get anything these days. Also I'm usually able to sell it back with little or no loss, sometimes a profit too!

...although I'm on the verge of doing what you just said :)

Terry

Well my experience with pre-orders, I can get my hands on it early and non of that waiting, seems like forever to get anything these days. Also I'm usually able to sell it back with little or no loss, sometimes a profit too!

...although I'm on the verge of doing what you just said :)
Perhaps but this is at a different price point than some of the more frenzied items.

I've pre-order a number of cameras and the practice seems to be getting more perilous as manufacturers have shorter and short product cycles which includes testing time. Not to throw cold water on what looks to be a very nice camera, I think on this one sitting out the beta test may be wiser. Both the X100 and X10 have had their launch issues with paying users clearly being the beta testers.

pophoto

Perhaps but this is at a different price point than some of the more frenzied items.

I've pre-order a number of cameras and the practice seems to be getting more perilous as manufacturers have shorter and short product cycles which includes testing time. Not to throw cold water on what looks to be a very nice camera, I think on this one sitting out the beta test may be wiser. Both the X100 and X10 have had their launch issues with paying users clearly being the beta testers.
It seems to be that way, however, my brother has decided to keep and loves his X100. I still have the X10 which my son (2 years old) adores, I don't dislike the camera, given it's target and price, but I still think Fuji fails in common areas.
Another example of this, while despite the awesome new sensor in the X Pro1 as seen in it's samples, I too see the while disc effect, it's not something I want to bring up, but the camera has now been officially released and this is a totally new sensor.

Yes, I have pretty much decided to sit this one out and maybe opt for other more mature camera sectors or stick with what I have. I also think the Olympus OMD EM-5 is such sector now, and while cropped sensors affect many area, like fov, aperture, I am seeing maturing in m4/3.

Thanks for your input Terry!

pophoto

Monza, these are impressive and where I am basing most recent judgement from. It has a great sensor for sure!