The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

new Fuji X Pro1 camera

Terry

Re: new Fuji X Pro1 camera (formerly called "new camera")

Yes,

The pictures look good. Very, very good. But when I originally went to the link and read the blog post about that shoot they did say there were both some software and hardware issues to be sorted out. When I try to get to it now seems like you need to be logged into flickr.

I too have the X10 and like it and had the X100 and only sold it because of lack of use. Both cameras have their foibles. X100 firmware was clearly not ready for release. X10 white disk is not fixable. It hasn't impacted my shooting but makes me cautious about being first out of the gate to order the camera.

monza

The shoot made it clear the camera is pre-production. Don't forget that cameras are not really cameras anymore, they are computers. As such, developments never really cease...it certainly would be great if the X-Pro1 would ship as a solid 1.0 release rather than a 0.x beta, however. :)

ptomsu

Workshop Member

I too have the X10 and like it and had the X100 and only sold it because of lack of use. Both cameras have their foibles. X100 firmware was clearly not ready for release. X10 white disk is not fixable. It hasn't impacted my shooting but makes me cautious about being first out of the gate to order the camera.
Exactly my thoughts!

Brian Mosley

The shoot made it clear the camera is pre-production. Don't forget that cameras are not really cameras anymore, they are computers. As such, developments never really cease...it certainly would be great if the X-Pro1 would ship as a solid 1.0 release rather than a 0.x beta, however. :)
You can say that again, I'd love to see the X100 v2.0 release :deadhorse:

Cheers

Brian

agoglanian

I have to admit that I am incredibly interested in this system. I have been wanting a "small" (but not TOO small) camera that can be my every day system, and leave my DSLR for studio work. I have long been a Leica fan, and an RF fan in general (having owned a few different bodies) and personally I am thrilled at the size of this camera as well as the initial lens offerings.

I am a little put off by the price of the system, but it's a far cry less than anything Leica has released.

Pending initial reviews and user reports, I am seriously considering liquidating part of my Canon kit and funding this system.

I would keep the 5DmkII body and let go of the 7D, but the tough decision would be which lenses to sell. I think my two personal favorites are the 35L and the 135L so that would probably be what I'd keep. (But darn if that 24L II isn't just a fine lens)

I had an X100 previously and I absolutely LOVED it. Quirks aside, it was possibly my favorite digital camera. I had to sell it for financial reasons as it was a "luxury" at the time, but it opened up a lot of possibilities for me that I have trouble accomplishing with my DSLRs.

I don't need blazing fast AF or FPS as long as the camera can focus accurately and "acceptably" quick. I'm anxious to see final revisions :D

Brian Mosley

Heh, that's a bit more than I'm willing to pay in money and compromise for a firmware update!

Nice thought though :)

Brian

bowlachili

Heh, that's a bit more than I'm willing to pay in money and compromise for a firmware update!

Nice thought though :)

Brian
I've come to accept that all cameras have flaws, even top of the line Canons and Nikons, which do get firmware updates (e.g., Canon 1DMk 3 focusing errors, etc., the list is long and never ending). My D300 still has a couple of quirks with battery levels using the battery grip, but my D700 does not. Did I mention the Leica M8 series, which I borrowed and shot at length? I could go on and on.

I've also come to accept that I have the ability to adapt to a camera system and its shortcomings, and having adjusted, the quirks essentially disappear (Panasonic L1, for example). My opinion is that the X series will take a series of evolutionary changes, while its users simultaneously adapt to its way of working. Nikon has moved buttons and menus all over the place on each iteration of the DX00. Then switching to Canon 5D Mk 2, I could not figure out how to engage video or make sense of Canon's control set--because I've been used to Nikon. Enter Fuji with a brand new line, ditto, you get the picture (no pun intended)...

As for pricing, the D300 was originally priced around $1700 (4 years ago!). Almost all "semipro" APS-C cameras are priced in that range, so with the dollar devalued, the XP1 initial asking price is not out of bounds, especially given the unique features set. But that's just me and what I value in a camera, YMMV.

pophoto

Monza, you are our eagle-eye right now, thanks for the update! :)

Brian Mosley

Nice link thanks. Good to see the camera making its' way into enthusiast hands. Very informative.

Pretty much committed to the E-M5 I think.

Cheers

Brian

tjv

I played with the X Pro 1 at Yodobashi Camera today. I have to say I really disliked it. It's big, feels cheap and is very slow compared to the other mirrorless systems. The files may well be great but to be honest the interface and sluggishness would drive me mental.

V

Vivek

I played with the X Pro 1 at Yodobashi Camera today. I have to say I really disliked it. It's big, feels cheap and is very slow compared to the other mirrorless systems. The files may well be great but to be honest the interface and sluggishness would drive me mental.
I hope such experiences/impressions would bring down the hype and make a lot of them available very soon- also in the used market. :)

ptomsu

Workshop Member

How would you compare it handling (quality) wise to say a Leica M9?

Brian Mosley

I hope such experiences/impressions would bring down the hype and make a lot of them available very soon- also in the used market. :)
I don't think the hype will last long, and if Fuji really are targeting those potential M9 owners - they won't have made too many, and the price can remain high.

I think the sensor looks fantastic - but not worth buying into this system... Sigma have a similar setup - and probably went the right way with the DP1m and DP2m given their limited resources. The difference is, Fuji know how to make a superb fixed lens camera (given the X100), so I think they could do a much better job of it.

Cheers

Brian

V

Vivek

Yes, I agree. The total production numbers are likely to be "unexpectedly very high" by Fuji's estimate. That would translate to at best 100,000 cameras per year.:D

After a few months of hype, just like the X100, it will calm down a bit.

If the prices do not go down, well, it is their loss.

Too many good choices around for a buyer! :thumbs:

tjv

The M9 is far better. More intuitive and the viewfinder is way better – but obviously only manual focusing, which is not for all of us I guess. The M9 also feels more solid. It's just my humble opinion, though.

How would you compare it handling (quality) wise to say a Leica M9?

monza

It really depends on what you want to do with the camera. If you shoot in low light, the M9 can't hold a candle to the Xpro1. On the other hand, all the Xpro1 needs is a candle. :)

One would think the M9 would have better build, after all, it's made of brass and costs over 4x as much. A 3 lens Fuji kit is less than half the cost of just an M9 body. These really are two different cameras for two different market segments.