The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

new Fuji X Pro1 camera

tjv

Re: new Fuji X Pro1 camera (formerly called "new camera")

It's all very well focusing a Noctilux wide open at 10ft, but try do off center compositions at 5ft and it's a different story. I'm a die hard rangefinder fan but I'd say at f1.0 and nearing close range, some other kind of tool is in order. Pity Leica can't or haven't yet implemented an innovative way to combat these problems al la the X-Pro 1 / X100's hybrid viewfinder. Imagine if they could make one AND retain the traditional optical view and focusing patch we're used to? Now there would be a kick *** camera!

Absolutely Robert - I agree with everything. and +10001 on the focus confirmation with the little green light.

There is only one thing which doesn't mislead, and that's the focus patch on an M rangefinder - focusing with a Noctilux at 10ft wide open is easy - can you imagine an AF system trying to deal with that?:ROTFL:

caasols

Impressive indeed... but still overpriced in my opinion.

ptomsu

Workshop Member

I must say I am getting frustrated the more I look into the Fuji samples.

Seems to be a lot of hype in their advertisements. But if this is the result you get from all these groundbreaking ideas then it is clearly not for me!

pophoto

I must say I am getting frustrated the more I look into the Fuji samples.

Seems to be a lot of hype in their advertisements. But if this is the result you get from all these groundbreaking ideas then it is clearly not for me!
Frustrated? Why? This time Fuji seems to have clearly missed the boat... okay perhaps clear to some only :p

jonoslack

It's all very well focusing a Noctilux wide open at 10ft, but try do off center compositions at 5ft and it's a different story. I'm a die hard rangefinder fan but I'd say at f1.0 and nearing close range, some other kind of tool is in order. Pity Leica can't or haven't yet implemented an innovative way to combat these problems al la the X-Pro 1 / X100's hybrid viewfinder. Imagine if they could make one AND retain the traditional optical view and focusing patch we're used to? Now there would be a kick *** camera!
Well, I often do use the noctilux with off centre compositions - very often - it's about practice and experience.

But I completely fail to see why the hybrid viewfinder in the X-pro1 or X100 would be of the faintest use - the information given as to what's in focus is sketchy to say the least - usually a green square which encompasses a whole face . . . how to focus on an eye? Of course, you can zoom in on the EVF, but for the sort of fast images one want's a rangefinder for, that's inconceivable.

Of course, Fuji could have incorporated focus peaking in the EVF, and that would certainly help . . but they haven't. (they say it isn't necessary?)

sflxn

After experiencing focus peaking, I'm not sure I can get super excited about the X Pro-1 unless the AF on that camera is up to modern snuff. The X100's AF was a huge disappointment. The 3 thing that keeps me watching the Fuji are the optical viewfinder, image quality, and of course, the stylish look. I've been looking at the Contax G lenses for my NEX-7 and can't but help see the similarities between the XP1 and the Contax G system.

jonoslack

After experiencing focus peaking, I'm not sure I can get super excited about the X Pro-1 unless the AF on that camera is up to modern snuff. The X100's AF was a huge disappointment. The 3 thing that keeps me watching the Fuji are the optical viewfinder, image quality, and of course, the stylish look. I've been looking at the Contax G lenses for my NEX-7 and can't but help see the similarities between the XP1 and the Contax G system.
Right with you there - the indications is that the AF on the x pro-1 will be worse than the X100 rather than better.
I'd have thought that NEX with Contax G lenses was really a much better bet. . . . but then, that's just me!

Pelao

Right with you there - the indications is that the AF on the x pro-1 will be worse than the X100 rather than better.
I'd have thought that NEX with Contax G lenses was really a much better bet. . . . but then, that's just me!
Hmmmm. Interesting, because my reading is that the AF is better than the X100. I suppose we'll have to wait a bit for more reports from photographers, and ideally a bit of personal hands-on.

Personally, I don't really care if the AF is as fast and competent as other cameras. It has to be fast enough for my purposes, and of course is just one consideration amongst all the usual trade-offs.

monza

I haven't seen any reports saying it isn't as good as the x100 AF, either. I'll file my own report in a couple of days :)

retow

If neither AF nor MF implementation are among best in class, the XPro1 is not for me. This is what I expect in 2012 from probably the most expensive aps-c sensor based system camera.

Last edited:

Pelao

If neither AF nor MF implementation are among best in class, the XPro1 is not for me. This is what I expect in 2012 from probably the most expensive aps-c sensor based sensor camera.
In terms of price it's certainly not the most expensive with that sensor size. The 7D (an older camera) is about the same and the Nikon D300 was the same when it came out.

Anyway, if it doesn't meet your needs I am glad there is choice - same for me. I'm not interested in best in class AF - just best for me class.

sflxn

Personally, I don't really care if the AF is as fast and competent as other cameras. It has to be fast enough for my purposes, and of course is just one consideration amongst all the usual trade-offs.
I would agree. I only need fast enough, but the X100 has taught me to be very cautious about Fuji. After they said that AF was not what the XP1 was about, I took that as a very lax view of the need to have good AF. After some reports, including production cameras, that the AF was disappointing, I am in wait and see mode. I still have the X100 and love it, but I would only use it for specific purposes. I'll probably keep it for the cool novelty of it being the smallest camera I have with leaf shutter and would use it for strobist type photos. The problem is I think Fuji is still TOO focused on image quality and may be ignoring usability. There are too many contradicting reports on the AF. Many of them keep lingering around low light AF. I need to know whether it can focus in good light before worrying about low light. The startup time of the X100 has caused me to lose to many shots. The AF of the X100 is worst than any Canon DSLR (5D M1 and below) I have ever used by a factor of 10, not only slowness but accuracy. Canon's AF was why I switched to Nikon. Imagine my surprise when the X100 was even worst than Canon. If it can focus at least as fast as the NEX-7, I will probably get one.

Pelao

I would agree. I only need fast enough, but the X100 has taught me to be very cautious about Fuji. After they said that AF was not what the XP1 was about, I took that as a very lax view of the need to have good AF. After some reports, including production cameras, that the AF was disappointing, I am in wait and see mode. I still have the X100 and love it, but I would only use it for specific purposes. I'll probably keep it for the cool novelty of it being the smallest camera I have with leaf shutter and would use it for strobist type photos. The problem is I think Fuji is still TOO focused on image quality and may be ignoring usability. There are too many contradicting reports on the AF. Many of them keep lingering around low light AF. I need to know whether it can focus in good light before worrying about low light. The startup time of the X100 has caused me to lose to many shots. The AF of the X100 is worst than any Canon DSLR (5D M1 and below) I have ever used by a factor of 10, not only slowness but accuracy. Canon's AF was why I switched to Nikon. Imagine my surprise when the X100 was even worst than Canon. If it can focus at least as fast as the NEX-7, I will probably get one.
I'm pretty much in the same boat.

retow

In terms of price it's certainly not the most expensive with that sensor size. The 7D (an older camera) is about the same and the Nikon D300 was the same when it came out.

Anyway, if it doesn't meet your needs I am glad there is choice - same for me. I'm not interested in best in class AF - just best for me class.
1. Who said best in class? I didn't.
2. We seem to shop at different places, a 7D is priced quite a bit lower than the new Fuji.
3. It's 2012 and an expensive pro level system camera which requires solutions to work around focusing deficiencies is not good enough. Eventually it's not a small niche product such as the quirky Sigma DP or lovely Leica X1 or first generation EP1.