The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

new Fuji X Pro1 camera

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Re: new Fuji X Pro1 camera (formerly called "new camera")

Just returned my X10 as I could not get friend with its controls and operation. Pretty sure the same holds true for the XPro1 as well.

Fuji should not try to reinvent proven structures - so I am out of this - at least for now.

Last edited:

retow

"Best in class" or "AMONG best in class" ain't the same.

sflxn

One theory I have about the contradicting reports on the AF is that the bad reviews probably was with the 60mm macro lens. The reviewer probably considered it a portrait lens and didn't realize that macro lenses are slow to focus in general. I am hoping this is the culprit of all the contradictions. Fast focus reports with 18mm and 35mm. Slow focus reports with the 60mm.

Heh, but look at me. I already have an awesome NEX-7 and just craving the XP1 for the stylish looks and high ISO. I'll probably just stick to my NEX. Loving it so far.

Pelao

1. Who said best in class? I didn't.
2. We seem to shop at different places, a 7D is priced quite a bit lower than the new Fuji.
3. It's 2012 and an expensive pro level system camera which requires solutions to work around focusing deficiencies is not good enough. Eventually it's not a small niche product such as the quirky Sigma DP or lovely Leica X1 or first generation EP1.
With the 'best in class' thing I was referencing my own needs and views. i don't need the AF to be as fast as some of the other cameras available. I would say though, that I hope it's accurate and reliable.

Price
Yes, you can get the 7D for less than the new Fuji, but the 7D isn't far off, and as I noted, it's been around a while. The Fuji is no more expensive than the 7D at the same point in it's life cycle. I suppose the real question is value.

I certainly agree that for a camera that positions itself as at least semi-pro, it shouldn't be necessary to develop focusing work-arounds. Sure, there are always trade-offs, but the thing should work to the satisfaction of some segment of the market.

The next few weeks will be interesting, as reports come in from experienced photographers.

jonoslack

I would agree. I only need fast enough, but the X100 has taught me to be very cautious about Fuji.

snip

Canon's AF was why I switched to Nikon. Imagine my surprise when the X100 was even worst than Canon. If it can focus at least as fast as the NEX-7, I will probably get one.
I'm pretty much in the same boat.
Well, I had two problems with the X100
1. the AF was awful
2. the MF was impossible

I just sold my NEX-7, basically, because the AF was really slow compared to a dSLR.

I understand why contrast detect focus is slower . . but panasonic and Olympus seem to be able to make it useable in cheap and cheerful bodies.

to buy a camera for more than the price of a 7D, with poor autofocus and unusable manual focus is kind of a confection - how ever good the IQ might be.

sflxn

Well, I had two problems with the X100
1. the AF was awful
2. the MF was impossible

I just sold my NEX-7, basically, because the AF was really slow compared to a dSLR.

I understand why contrast detect focus is slower . . but panasonic and Olympus seem to be able to make it useable in cheap and cheerful bodies.

to buy a camera for more than the price of a 7D, with poor autofocus and unusable manual focus is kind of a confection - how ever good the IQ might be.
Wow, you really sold your NEX 7 already? I've only had a week to use mine. So far, the AF is fine. It takes a fraction of a second delay before autofocusing, but the focusing has been dead on for me so far. I hope it continues that way. I would really hate to go back to a DSLR for travel.

About those m43 cameras, yeah, not for me. They need a better sensor. I wouldn't believe any of the false lies that Olympus markets until it's been proven by users. Every camera they release is accompanied by the best ever of something, which turns out to be false.

I still have hopes for Fuji even as I doubt them right now. Really, we must all live with compromise with these mirrorless till Canon and Nikon get serious and get in the high end mirrorless game. I think those two are the only ones who can really do it right and give us no compromise systems, but I'm sure fans of the underdogs will continue to hate on quality coming from the dominant two.

monza

OK, time to start a 'Fun with the X-Pro1 thread.' :)

jonoslack

Enjoy Robert - I hope it's a roaring success.
Like Your Dog :)

Shashin

I pity the photographer with a new camera and no pet.

monza

Thanks Jono

I'm a strict adherent to the 'no cats used in test photos with new equipment' ;)

Brian Mosley

Congratulations Robert, I'm sure it will be a winner for you. Can't wait to read more impressions and see more images!

Thanks for sharing

Brian

jonoslack

Thanks Jono

I'm a strict adherent to the 'no cats used in test photos with new equipment' ;)
I wish I could claim to be innocent of this terrible crime, but I fear that I can't.

johneaton

Robert, many thanks for posting those initial images and looking forward very much to further insightful analysis from you, I really appreciate it. John.

V

Vivek

Nope! Hard core street.