The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

new Fuji X Pro1 camera

KeithL

Re: new Fuji X Pro1 camera (formerly called "new camera")

Pussycats, bow wows, please, anything other than impressions...

cam

as an FYI, Sean Reid just came out with his first review of the camera... starting it now, but i really should be making dinner...

Terry

as an FYI, Sean Reid just came out with his first review of the camera... starting it now, but i really should be making dinner...
Ha! I got to read it over breakfast. :ROTFL:

Looks promising.

monza

Nope! Hard core street.
Vivek, if you want hard core, an 18mm on this camera would be great...prefocus, aperture priority...unbeatable for street, IMHO. :)

jonoslack

rub it in, California girl, rub it in!
Hi Girls (California and Gent).

I'm too mean to buy a subscription - so I can't read it at all! Still, I'm not going to buy a camera with one slopey shoulder and one straight one.
How can they have designed something as beautiful as the X100 . . . . and then lost the plot so badly with the design of this one:facesmack: (very strange).

Vivek, if you want hard core, an 18mm on this camera would be great...prefocus, aperture priority...unbeatable for street, IMHO. :)
People will stop you and say Wow, what's that camera? . . it's really ugly :)

all the best

TimWright

I just read his review and from what I have read so far I will be holding off buying. Hopefully Fuji can fix some things in a firmware update. Anyway at least until a dealer has them in stock and I can try one I will hold off.

V

Vivek

People will stop you and say Wow, what's that camera? . . it's really ugly :)
I have heard of a street photographer here shooting with the "Texas Leica". :thumbs:

V

Vivek

I think the 35/1.4 would suit me well.:)

(I will probably add the 18 a bit later.)

monza

Yes, Jono, if you want a sexy looking camera there are other better options. :)

Here is my 'Texas' Leica in front of the X-Pro1. I put them in that sequence for Jono. Well, it's not really a Texas Leica, as in a medium format Fuji, but it *is* a Leica and it's in Texas.

dhsimmonds

I just read his review and from what I have read so far I will be holding off buying. Hopefully Fuji can fix some things in a firmware update. Anyway at least until a dealer has them in stock and I can try one I will hold off.
What is it in Sean's review that particularly puts you off?

Remember Sean often writes his reviews as much for the manufacturers as he does for his subscribers! It often works too, Leica in particular listen to what he preaches and others will do what they can in firmware changes. Sean's review is a rolling story with many more details yet to unfold.

The one thing that came out so far for me is that he considers the X100 a pretty neat and useful camera and that didn't quite come out when reading his X100 early reviews either!

TimWright

What is it in Sean's review that particularly puts you off?

Remember Sean often writes his reviews as much for the manufacturers as he does for his subscribers! It often works too, Leica in particular listen to what he preaches and others will do what they can in firmware changes. Sean's review is a rolling story with many more details yet to unfold.

The one thing that came out so far for me is that he considers the X100 a pretty neat and useful camera and that didn't quite come out when reading his X100 early reviews either!
The small things he mentions in the article, mostly the focusing issues and the aperture blades that keep adjusting even in manual mode. I don't think i could use anything slower than the Nex7. I would have liked the autofocus to be on par with the Oly EP3.

TimWright

backlit and/or high contrast stationary subjects even the Leica X1 could focus on them. People walking down the sidewalk of a crowded street in dull light would be a different matter.

monza

That test was done so people can get an idea of the speed.

monza

straight OOC

I hope these full size images don't mess with people's browsers...

TimWright

That test was done so people can get an idea of the speed.
I understand that but they picked ideal subject and lighting to do the test. Unfortunately when it comes down to really using it in other than ideal situations the focus speed is generally nowhere near as fast. I hope that I am proven wrong. Just saying I won't order one blind but will wait till I can try it out.

monza

Well only if you think subdued kitchen lighting with a window with backlight is ideal. :) And with postcard-sized subjects 9 feet from the camera. I did the video. There is another one in the set with the same setting done at night. This is pretty typical AF speed in all the situations shot so far.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member

Jono wrote:

I wish I could claim to be innocent of this terrible crime, but I fear that I can't.
Is that the bailiffs at the door???