The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

new Fuji X Pro1 camera

TimWright

Re: new Fuji X Pro1 camera (formerly called "new camera")

yes I just watched the video again and the lighting and subject are pretty ideal for testing autofocus Lots of fairly sharp edges and contrast to lock on. I could even focus my M9 quickly on any of that but taking it out on the street is entirely different. I would like to see some street shots of people who are moving to see what it can do. From all the reviews and posts from people who have camera the consensus is that the autofocus is "ok" but not as good as the Nex7 nor the Oly EP3. Manual focus is reported at being worse. They need to implement focus peaking if this is true.

monza

Manual focus is no different than the micro 4/3 cameras...focus assist. Focus by wire is improved significantly over the x100. Far fewer turns from close focus to infinity. Focus peaking is not the magic unicorn. It won't work at all in some situations...and often you need magnification in addition to focus peaking for real accuracy. I know this from using a NEX 5 since 2010 and upgrading the firmware for peaking, last summer.

The problem is, often what appears to be in focus (i.e., 'peaked') on the LCD will not be when enlarged to 100%. It similar to how many out of focus images will appear when reduced to a 3" size...they look sharp, and in focus.

AF is fine. I have not used an EP3 or a NEX 7, but it is plenty fast for what I shoot. My typical camera is an M...no way can I focus an M nearly as fast or as accurately, especially in the low light as shown in the videos, which again, was hardly ideal...in fact, it was difficult to shoot with the OVF of the X-Pro1 in those conditions; instead I used the EVF which will brighten things considerably, or by using the LCD as seen in the videos.

Personally I don't understand what the importance of AF is with street. Most people who shoot street, use Ms..and prefocus. The same thing can be done with the X-Pro1, in manual mode. I know that is what I would do. Generally one isn't shooting for bokeh at f/1.4. ;) If you want to track someone moving towards you, get a DSLR, but that's not really street shooting.

TimWright

I have never tried the X100 but I have used M lenses on both the Oly EP3 and Nex7. I find the Nex7 works very well with M lenses and focus peaking. Not everyone who shoots street uses zone focusing and yes quite often wide apertures are used to isolate the subject. Thats where I would like the autofocus to work well. Say the 35mm at F2 grabbing a quick shot of a persons who is walking by you at a distance of 6 or 7 feet. Anyway one they show up in stores here I will try just that. I hope it does work well as it would be a great addition to using the M9.

KeithL

Monza, thanks for posting images. Keep 'em coming please.

monza

For what it is worth, here is the light level for the AF test...

Thanks Keith :) unfortunately the camera is now en route to its final destination...I will definitely miss it!

TimWright

Digisix great little light meter. I don't even remember how long I have had mine. The Fuji is gone already? Was really hoping to see some street test shots and your thoughts on how it performed.

monza

There will be more reports on Fuji X Forum as more cameras appear...there is at least one other person there who says he'll be doing some street shooting.

This camera had a client deadline unfortunately, so it had to ship out.

dhsimmonds

Robert (I recognised your dog!) great shots over at X100 forum and a very nice forum by the way. Thanks also for blowing away many of the internet mis-information about the X Pro1 and the X100 too. Nothing like a practical demo.

Too many people like to criticise without either trying a new camera or owning it!

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member

Manual focus is no different than the micro 4/3 cameras...focus assist. Focus by wire is improved significantly over the x100. Far fewer turns from close focus to infinity. Focus peaking is not the magic unicorn. It won't work at all in some situations...and often you need magnification in addition to focus peaking for real accuracy. I know this from using a NEX 5 since 2010 and upgrading the firmware for peaking, last summer.

The problem is, often what appears to be in focus (i.e., 'peaked') on the LCD will not be when enlarged to 100%. It similar to how many out of focus images will appear when reduced to a 3" size...they look sharp, and in focus.

AF is fine. I have not used an EP3 or a NEX 7, but it is plenty fast for what I shoot. My typical camera is an M...no way can I focus an M nearly as fast or as accurately, especially in the low light as shown in the videos, which again, was hardly ideal...in fact, it was difficult to shoot with the OVF of the X-Pro1 in those conditions; instead I used the EVF which will brighten things considerably, or by using the LCD as seen in the videos.

Personally I don't understand what the importance of AF is with street. Most people who shoot street, use Ms..and prefocus. The same thing can be done with the X-Pro1, in manual mode. I know that is what I would do. Generally one isn't shooting for bokeh at f/1.4. ;) If you want to track someone moving towards you, get a DSLR, but that's not really street shooting.
Excellent point on AF for street shooting. It all depends on your vision and technique. When I am on the street I want to capture the moment and see no evidence that the photographer affected the subject . Typically I view the scene without the camera viewfinder at all. I line up the back ground and identify where I want the subject in the frame . Then I either estimate and pre focus or I look for something at the desired distance and pre focus . Anticipate the moment...frame,check edges and shoot. If the subject is preoccupied ..I will focus again on the subject and try to get 3-4 more captures.

If I get lucky and remain unnoticed I will change positions ,use the other camera lens combination ,get closer,lower,higher to change the viewpoint.

The X100 can do much of this but isn t as effective a tool as the M9 . With the AF set to the rear button I can prefocus . If I need really close I focus on my foot.

My PJ friends feel that the Nikon s ability to move the focus point and nail focus is better but less discrete .

I don t expect the XPro 1 to be as fast as the M or the Nikon but I could use it for street with some practice . Shooting an M on the street without good RF technique is an exercise in futility as I expect the XPRO 1 will be without time to refine technique .

TimWright

I went and tried an X100 today. A friend was picking up a like new M6 and decided to buy a limited X100 as well. Only got to try it in the store but the autofocus wasn't all that bad. The EVF isn't as good as the Nex or the Oly but usable. One thing I didn't like was the way the viewfinder froze when focus locked on, is the Pro the same as this. I decided to keep my name on the list. If the Pro is better than the X100 like Monza has said it would be quite usable for street work. One of the things I found was that most of the complaints about the focus are with the 60 macro. I don't know if that lens has a focus limiter or not but in full macro mode I don't think I have ever seen a macro be very fast.

jonoslack

Hi Robert
I was teasing about the looks . . .but I think I need to pick you up on this one. What circumstances does focus peaking not work in?
Beyond the fact that it requires a little practice at each aperture to understand what the peaking is showing you. (just like it does with a rangefinder).
I've got rid of my NEX7 because the AF was slow, and I didn't really need it for using MF lenses - but if I had, I'd have stuck to it like glue - I used focus peaking on at least 10 different MF lenses in conditions varying from a dark kitchen to the peak of a snow covered mountain at 10,000 ft, and at no point did I find the focus peaking didn't work. It was best in poor light, where a wide open lens always seemed to catch a sparkle in an eye. I used it with a .95 noctilux and R lenses. Personally I think that zoom in focusing is an abomination for everything except studio shots on a tripod - but that's my opinion!

Is manual focus useable in OVF mode? in all conditions? I'm interested because I thought that it absolutely wasn't in the X100.
Is auto focus possible with small subjects in front of high contrast backgrounds - that was where the X100 (and the NEX7 come to that) fell down badly - nearly always focusing on the background - even if the focus patch appeared to completely cover the subject.

I'm asking, because a month with the X100 proved to me that zone focusing was really the only way of getting 'accurate' focus - unless one was photographing large areas with dull backgrounds.

jonoslack

Yes, Jono, if you want a sexy looking camera there are other better options. :)

Here is my 'Texas' Leica in front of the X-Pro1. I put them in that sequence for Jono. Well, it's not really a Texas Leica, as in a medium format Fuji, but it *is* a Leica and it's in Texas.

Lovely Robert
That sloppy shoulder . . . I rest my case :)

monza

sloppy shoulder - :ROTFL:

Well I shoot a NEX 5 almost every day and use manual focus (Contax) lenses on it almost exclusively. Very rarely do I use the kit lens (the only AF NEX lens I own.)

While focus peaking works as advertised, it's not particularly fast, and not always completely accurate. And in some situations, it doesn't work at all.

1. in low contrast situations, sometimes nothing 'peaks.' In this case one must use the focus assist magnification.

2. when looking at the LCD, it's fairly common to see the 'peaked' pixels and it can appear that the subject is in focus. When magnified, what appeared to be in perfect focus, isn't.

This is similar to what can happen when one shoots a picture looking at a 3" LCD and everything appears to be in focus -- until you look at it on your computer monitor, enlarged.

3. Most of the time, I use peaking as well as the focus assist. This works great for static subjects...but not so great for moving ones.

Bear in mind, this is using a NEX 5, which means LCD, not EVF...I have not used the Sony EVF on a NEX 5n or the 7 or the A77. What is your hit rate using LCD vs EVF, or do you even use the LCD?

Manual focus on the X-Pro1 in OVF mode, no. I would use the OVF in MF mode in situations that allow prefocusing/hyperfocal.

TechIV

For what it is worth, here is the light level for the AF test...

Thanks Keith :) unfortunately the camera is now en route to its final destination...I will definitely miss it!
What is this strange evil device? Does it tell time? Temperature? Moon Phases?

TechIV

Frankly, I'm a little surprised at all the complaining about the X100 AF. Sure, it's a far cry from my D7000 or D700, but I certainly don't find it unusable. It's worlds faster than my Hexar AF and Contax G2 ever were and I have tons of wonderful images from those cameras... not to mention focusing my 4x5...

I know its not a cheap camera (I bought it used for 850), but the way I see it, its a $400 lens with a $250 camera and a $200 viewfinder. Costs about the same as a Hexar or Minilux back in the day--and I have no film expense. The OOC color is the best that I know of (not used a latest gen Olympus), the WB is good, exposure is fine.

If they came out with an x100 with a 90mm f2 equiv at $1200, I'd order one tomorrow.

I guess I just have low expectations.

jonoslack

sloppy shoulder - :ROTFL:

Well I shoot a NEX 5 almost every day and use manual focus (Contax) lenses on it almost exclusively. Very rarely do I use the kit lens (the only AF NEX lens I own.)

While focus peaking works as advertised, it's not particularly fast, and not always completely accurate. And in some situations, it doesn't work at all.

1. in low contrast situations, sometimes nothing 'peaks.' In this case one must use the focus assist magnification.

2. when looking at the LCD, it's fairly common to see the 'peaked' pixels and it can appear that the subject is in focus. When magnified, what appeared to be in perfect focus, isn't.

This is similar to what can happen when one shoots a picture looking at a 3" LCD and everything appears to be in focus -- until you look at it on your computer monitor, enlarged.

3. Most of the time, I use peaking as well as the focus assist. This works great for static subjects...but not so great for moving ones.

Bear in mind, this is using a NEX 5, which means LCD, not EVF...I have not used the Sony EVF on a NEX 5n or the 7 or the A77. What is your hit rate using LCD vs EVF, or do you even use the LCD?

Manual focus on the X-Pro1 in OVF mode, no. I would use the OVF in MF mode in situations that allow prefocusing/hyperfocal.
HI Robert
Now I understand - peaking on an LCD isn't enough - I've tried and it doesn't!
using the EVF I've found no situations where it doesn't work - even in very low mixed lighting, somehow there's always a twinkle in a person's eye (which you would never see on an LCD).

To be honest, I often find it's better in low light where there are very few sparkles - sometimes in good light the amount of sparkly edges is distracting.

I think focus assist is ghastly - firstly because I can't compose properly with it, and secondly because things change too quickly (but that's just me).

But it means that I really do rest my case - Focus peaking is (for me at least) the absolute answer to using 3rd party MF lenses on any kind of camera - but you do need an EVF, LCD alone is not enough.

I shot a gig tonight with the Sony A77 for the first time, mostly with the SZ 135 f1.8, and mostly with MF and focus peaking - the AF was fine . . . just not as good. The EVF was wonderful however - white balance and exposure there in front of you. The keeper rate (technically at least) was much higher than I've ever got at a concert before.

maybe you should try a 5n with an EVF and those nice Contax lenses!

all the best

bowlachili

Robert (I recognised your dog!) great shots over at X100 forum and a very nice forum by the way. Thanks also for blowing away many of the internet mis-information about the X Pro1 and the X100 too. Nothing like a practical demo.

Too many people like to criticise without either trying a new camera or owning it!
Couldn't agree more!!!!!

kuau

Workshop Member

anyone have any idea when they are going to ship?