The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

new Fuji X Pro1 camera

monza

Re: new Fuji X Pro1 camera (formerly called "new camera")

"Overall it appears that these three objectives-served by the X-Trans sensor and processor, the key to this team, they behave almost exactly as it was hoped that they would do in theory: an extraordinary image quality, reminiscent of the best times of the optical telemetry and high-definition movies.

XF Fujinon 18 mm f / 2 R for Fujifilm X-Pro1: Conclusion

In short, a superb angular light equivalent to a 28 mm f / 2, which can be used without complex from full aperture of f / 2, rivaling the best of fixed optical market with similar characteristics.

XF Fujinon 35 mm f / 1.4 R for Fujifilm X-Pro1: Conclusion

In sum, a goal that more than satisfy fans of the optical bright, able to open up to f / 1.4. One wonders what a leap in performance could have been achieved by limiting this view to an aperture of f / 2 (4), but the marketing needs demanded, more than likely, the aperture of f / 1.4.

XF Fujinon 60 mm f / 2.4 Macro R Fujifilm X-Pro1: Conclusion

Overall, probably the best digital lens and its focal category, more than likely a new optical paradigm."

Fujifilm X-Pro1, La Prueba - Ópticas XF - DSLR Magazine

Google Translate

Feel free to ignore at your leisure. :)

monza

I posted this link earlier but there are are lot more samples now.

ptomsu

Workshop Member

peter, i need to comment on this. you know me and have seen me with big cameras in my hand and loving them and their feel. but since i picked up the fuji last week in japan i have changed my mind-somewhat. camera + three lenses < 1kg, built quality is not leica-ish but beats pana and oly hands down, ergonomic buttons on the camera, good but not nikon-ish fast autofocus, very good lenses (the 35mm f1.4 gets close to the summilux in my view, the 60mm macro is fantastic), IQ excellent up to 3200iso, hardly any moiree (you really need to provoke it, even fabric comes out very good normally), excellent optical viewfinder, ok EVF, great live view...i could go on but you get the picture. IMHO fuji has created a marvel with breakthrough technlogy (dual VF, sensor randomized arry). is it perfect, no, there are a few minor issues i do not like (rubber lens caps fall off all the time, the sunshade of the 90mm is ridicolously large, silky pix is a pain..).
can it do things the M9 cannot do? clearly above base iso it beats the M9 hands down, i even concur with steve huff that base iso IQ (including color representation) beat the M9 IQ.
i am going to wait for the M10 but it is hard for me to imagine that leica will get close to the fuji overall package. surely enough, the M9 will have FF, live view hopefully focus confirmation and more MPX but i think that retro-looking leica (see the ridicolous M9 bottom plate) is unable to do a project like fuji did. i'd be happy to err on this.
well we still have to see fuji's quality control, but i have seen enough of leica's. in japan both my leica systems turned into rather useless paper weight (M9 sensor crack and S2 exposimeter and/or shutter failure). i dragged the stuff from saudi arabia to japan and back for nothing.
this is why i bought the fuji and i love it.
give it a try, you will be surprised.
peter
Peter,

great you like the X Pro 1! What you write is all true and I really hope that there are other vendors than Leica coming with great and well performing systems, but .... I am still not convinced. Maybe because my X10 adventure - I know it is in a totally different league - was just a shot in the knee for me!

I could not become friend with the OVF, just inferior, I also could not get friend with the control and operation of the camera (and here I fear the X Pro 1 will be similar) and I finally was NOT impressed with the sensor - sure again a different beast from the X Pro 1, but I am burned because I read a lot of great reviews and tests but for me it did not work out.

In my eyes Leica is sure superior WRT IQ, but they are very conservative and also their quality control and camera reliability seems still to be questionable. Which is a pretty bad issue considering the high premium price. Well I skipped the M9 so far and will wait and see what their M10 will look like ;)

Enjoy your Fuji!

Peter

KeithL

See earlier in the thread. They won't be sufficient for you, I'm sure, and that's fine. They are just snaps. I only had the camera 24 hours.
Don't be hard on yourself, they're rather good.

I've seen many other rather good images from the X-Pro1 lenses but as yet I've not seen anything remotely like outstanding IQ. I'd truly love to see something exceptional, something akin to the snap, crackle and pop of a Zeiss Planar f2, or the dream world of a Zeiss Sonnar f1.5. What I am seeing is adequacy.

There's always the possibility of using these lenses on the Fuji and it's something I'm keen to try, but what of the wides? If the Sony NEX-7 is anything to go by there could well be colour issues.

Time will tell.

V

Vivek

I am looking for snap, crackle and pop example as well some dream world example, especially because I haven't got a clue what they entail.

Got any to share?

KeithL

You think you can guess which I would refer to as having snap crackle and pop and which has a dream world quality, or do you need some kinda clue?

V

Vivek

I do not see why Robert's sample of his dog under diffused light fails to qualify as having snap pop and crackle while a sun backed, contrasty light capture would!

Hmm.. if this is dream world example then it isn't exclusive to Zeiss or Sonnar. Check out: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/4-3rds-cameras/10029-photographing-your-bokeh.html

BTW, I thank you for posting the samples. First images you posted here if I am not mistaken! :)

KeithL

I do not see why Robert's sample of his dog under diffused light fails to qualify as having snap pop and crackle while a sun backed, contrasty light capture would!
Because it means snappy, zippy, and yes you got it, contrasty.

Hmm.. if this is dream world example then it isn't exclusive to Zeiss or Sonnar.
I hadn't realised I had said it was.

I thank you for posting the samples. First images you posted here if I am not mistaken! :)
Hey, you want images you can always click my link.

Yours?

V

Vivek

My point was that it is easy to see "snap, pop and crackle" under contrasty light while it is not always the case under diffused light. Despite being shot under diffused light and not a hard reflecting subject, Robert's photo does show a contrasty image.;)

You can see the snaps I post here (this site) almost every day! :)

monza

Definitely dreamy! The kind of photo that cares not about pixels, resolution, AA filters, autofocus, or what glass produced it. Examples of the 35 and 60 look similarly dreamy although they all have a point of focus.

I really like both those images. Many cameras can take similar ones, I don't think an X-Pro1 is necessary to produce something similar.

fotografz

There are several synergistic events that together have helped create this Leica bubble, but who knows how long it will last. Maybe one day Leica will get their production house in order, and build to the demand. Or, the other factors will fade...at that point Leica lenses will go back to depreciating, like all the other brands do. It wasn't all that long ago that Leica lenses were sitting on dealer shelves...
That was before Leica caught up with digital.

BTW, I never lost very much money on a M lenses even when I shot film Ms.

Leica is refining their Brand positioning, and how and where they will sell product in future ... so I wouldn't hold my breath regarding supply and new pricing supporting the return to deprecation of used lenses.

All the best,

-Marc

monza

Not planning to hold my breath. :) Leica should refine their production if they refine anything. They are looking at opening US Leica stores, along the lines of Apple stores. Why? So they can show people what they don't have available for sale??? :ROTFL:

fotografz

Not planning to hold my breath. :) Leica should refine their production if they refine anything. They are looking at opening US Leica stores, along the lines of Apple stores. Why? So they can show people what they don't have available for sale??? :ROTFL:
So, think that through ... first off, the Leica stores are not just in the US, they are Global. Guess who will get product? China? Russia? Saudi Arabia? As the bank robber Willy Sutton quipped when asked why he robs banks, It's where the money is".

Economics 101 for Luxury brands. Exclusivity, limited supply, high-end demand. Don't have to agree with it, but that the way it is. Basically, as I see it from what they are doing, Leica no longer sees any other camera company as their competition ... other Luxury expenditures are the competition.

If they really are like Apple stores, then it seems like a decent idea. From what I've seen, they are a heck of a lot more upscale than any Apple store I've been in.

You seem to be getting personally wrapped up in this competitive fight over some little crop frame 15 meg camera ... it's just a camera ... one that people have questions about, and may be skeptical about until more is known ... until then the questions and challenges will most likely keep coming.

-Marc

monza

Not really wrapped up in anything, other than sharing information. There are two disparate discussions here...

As far as Leica goes, I'm not saying it's a bad idea to market in that manner. I'm saying perhaps they should get their production house in order first. I'm sure their dealer network will not be pleased at all, if only the corporate stores actually get product...

fotografz

Not really wrapped up in anything, other than sharing information. There are two disparate discussions here...

As far as Leica goes, I'm not saying it's a bad idea to market in that manner. I'm saying perhaps they should get their production house in order first. I'm sure their dealer network will not be pleased at all, if only the corporate stores actually get product...
Really? Seems any mention of Leica grew out of some defense of the Fuji ... as usual.

I still contend, and have already said, let the Fuji camera rise on its own merits, and skip the inferiority complex like discourse.

BTW, you are ill informed, again ... the Leica stores are NOT corporate stores ... they are independently owned and operated high-end franchise outlets ... either stand alone, or boutiques with-in high-end retail stores. Any current Leica dealer can participate if they can step-up to the new higher-end standards Leica has leveraged for the Brand's franchise.

-Marc

monza

I know what the current program is, I've been in those meetings. :) But thanks anyway.

The information I have is corporate owned stores. Perhaps it will happen, perhaps not.

Whether it does or not: Leica should get their production house in order. I don't know anyone who disagrees with this. :) Why would any dealer step up with these programs if Leica won't guarantee product? And they won't...they've told me that directly.

The discussion of Leica was strictly based on Terry's first comment regarding cost and your reply about depreciation (or appreciation as the case may be.) Then it went on further, with my mention of the many factors behind the current Leica bubble.

At no point was there a 'defense of the Fuji' with regards to Leica, as the Leica conversation was strictly about market, not technical aspects.

Time to get back on topic here.

fotografz

I know what the current program is, I've been in those meetings. :) But thanks anyway.

The information I have is corporate owned stores. Perhaps it will happen, perhaps not.

Whether it does or not: Leica should get their production house in order. I don't know anyone who disagrees with this. :) Why would any dealer step up with these programs if Leica won't guarantee product? And they won't...they've told me that directly.

The discussion of Leica was strictly based on Terry's first comment regarding cost and your reply about depreciation (or appreciation as the case may be.) Then it went on further, with my mention of the many factors behind the current Leica bubble.

At no point was there a 'defense of the Fuji' with regards to Leica, as the Leica conversation was strictly about market, not technical aspects.

Time to get back on topic here.
Okay, seems you haven't been reading what people have been writing regarding technical and IQ comparisons to Leica ... but if you say so.

:OT:The information that the Leica stores are wholly Corporate owned is not correct or misunderstood ... but again if you say so. I have the full marketing presentation that, as a consultant in marketing and advertising (my profession), I'm evaluating for an authorized Leica dealer as a possible investment. It is a franchise, not wholly owned company stores.:OT:

Back on topic ...

Nice camera, but I agree with Jono ... it's not a NEX7 nor a Leica M in terms of either EVF or OVF ... okay for some, not with others. It's a crop frame with lens factors ... okay for some, not with others. It apparently has neither stellar AF nor breakthrough manual focus (like focus peaking) ... okay for some, not for others. IQ as demonstrated so far is okay, but not earth shattering or unobtainable by an array of other choices including some smaller DSLRs with more resolution at less cost ... okay for some, not with others.

The point of threads like these isn't a sales platform for marketers, it's for photographers to thrash out all of the aspects that determine ... "Okay for some, not for me". :)

-Marc

fotografz

Definitely dreamy! The kind of photo that cares not about pixels, resolution, AA filters, autofocus, or what glass produced it. Examples of the 35 and 60 look similarly dreamy although they all have a point of focus.

I really like both those images. Many cameras can take similar ones, I don't think an X-Pro1 is necessary to produce something similar.
In your opinion, not everyone's. Personally, I think you have crossed swords with the wrong photographer :rolleyes:

Keith's portfolio is stellar, and while they may or may not have been possible with something else (which is just speculative rhetoric), they were produced with what he uses, and that isn't speculative at all is it?

Nothing shown so far using the Fuji even approaches this work ... IMO. Whether it can, is speculative ... so maybe a Fuji dealer should loan him a camera to find out :ROTFL:

-Marc

jonoslack

BTW, I thank you for posting the samples. First images you posted here if I am not mistaken! :)
Hmm - Vivek - I think you should click on Keith's link - the images are fantastic - really excellent.

V

Vivek

Hmm - Vivek - I think you should click on Keith's link - the images are fantastic - really excellent.
I have seen Keith's work several years ago, even before this forum started. Yes, he is talented.