Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 768

Thread: new Fuji X Pro1 camera

  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like

    new Fuji X Pro1 camera

    Last edited by Terry; 15th March 2012 at 09:54.

  2. #2
    Member Agnius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Santa Monica, California
    Posts
    135
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: new camera

    Looks promising, especially ProX1. I would like to see the quality of glass on that camera. As much as I like Leica M, if Fuji offers AF with similar quality, I might just convert. On the other hand, let's see what Leica comes up with... And if I can mount M glass on it with some focus assist modes, that just might do for me.

    Direct link without Facebook redirect: https://wellsfargoadvisors.mworld.co...y&id=587442481

    P.S. Release is dated "January 10, 2012". Is that how Fuji now "leaks" their releases hoping for them to go viral? Good luck with that. X100 was interesting, but I could never find one while I was interested in it, and this year they have lots of competition, like Ricoh GXR-M and Sony Nex-7. So if they promise something, they better deliver. Fuji is not Leica, I will not wait for months for a product to become available. Not gonna happen. So don't promise what you can't deliver.

  3. #3
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,343
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: new camera

    I'm in love already

  4. #4
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Knorp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,993
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: new camera

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    I'm in love already
    What about starting a thread: "Fun with Fuji Pro-X1" ?

    ... ... ...
    Bart ...

  5. #5
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,848
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: new camera


  6. #6
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,601
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: new camera

    Robert, If this holds any semblance of truth (I hope it does), put me on your pre-order list for one with a standard lens plus the extra 2 rumored ones.

  7. #7
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,343
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: new camera

    This looks absolutely, completely great. I'm putting myself on the pusher's list tomorrow.

  8. #8
    Member ray*j*gun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Phila area
    Posts
    20
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: new camera

    P.S. Release is dated "January 10, 2012". Is that how Fuji now "leaks" their releases hoping for them to go viral? Good luck with that. X100 was interesting, but I could never find one while I was interested in it, and this year they have lots of competition, like Ricoh GXR-M and Sony Nex-7. So if they promise something, they better deliver. Fuji is not Leica, I will not wait for months for a product to become available. Not gonna happen. So don't promise what you can't deliver.[/QUOTE]

    I couldn't agree with you more! Here's hoping they do it right this time.
    Raymond

  9. #9
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,343
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: new camera

    What is all this negativism about? Here's exactly the camera that many of us have been hoping for, the natural next step after the X100. No AA filter, 6 colour sensor with random photosites (to avoid moiré), fast prime lenses, hybrid viewfinder (the optical part changing with the focal length) and with the image quality that Fuji normally digs out of their coffers, photographers will probably be able to take great images with this camera. In many ways, it looks like what the Contax G2 could have developed into if it had been continued into the digital era.

    If it's available in February or November, who cares? Fuji seems to have developed a camera that I really, really want, and until I get one, I'll have the pleasure of looking forward to it (and I do have a couple of other cameras that I can use in the meantime)

  10. #10
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Shashin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    4,497
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    141

    Re: new camera

    This is really really tempting. The down side for me personally is 3:2 format and a 53mm equiv. standard focal length--two things I have always had trouble with. The format I find a little narrow (or not narrow enough) and the focal length is just a bit tight. The 18mm lens is nice, though.

    I would like to see if you can adapt lenses of different focal lengths and still use the optical finder. That might push me over into the buy column.

    But it is a sexy camera.

  11. #11
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,848
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: new camera

    My guess is any adapted lenses would need the electrical contacts to properly use the optical finder, however, they should work in EVF mode...if Fujifilm allows 'shoot without lens' mode like other mirrorless cams.

  12. #12
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,343
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: new camera

    Ah... and the lenses have aperture rings. It doesn't get gooder than that

  13. #13
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: new camera

    X-Pro1. OMG, the X100 is barely warmed up and ...

    Hmmm, Pro1 ... suggests there will be a Pro2 before this one warms up.

    The cash-sapping juggernaut never sleeps

    -Marc

  14. #14
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Shashin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    4,497
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    141

    Re: new camera

    Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    My guess is any adapted lenses would need the electrical contacts to properly use the optical finder, however, they should work in EVF mode...if Fujifilm allows 'shoot without lens' mode like other mirrorless cams.
    Unless the camera allows you to specify focal length in the menus like you can for the IBIS for the Olympus Pens. But the zoom finder would need to be stepless and that may not be possible.

    I have seen the Fuji and Sony EVFs and I really don't like them. Just a personal thing...

  15. #15
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Shashin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    4,497
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    141

    Re: new camera

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    X-Pro1. OMG, the X100 is barely warmed up and ...

    Hmmm, Pro1 ... suggests there will be a Pro2 before this one warms up.

    The cash-sapping juggernaut never sleeps

    -Marc
    Which means we can pick up a Pro 1 cheap when everyone switches over to the 2...

  16. #16
    Senior Member Rawfa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro
    Posts
    2,393
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: new camera

    This could be the first real chalenge to the NEX sensor, though if I had to guess IŽd say this camera will be around us$1800 body only. Anyway, IŽd happy enough if the 3 primes that Fuji is also releasing can be adapted to the NEX system with no vignetting or weird distortions

  17. #17
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,601
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: new camera

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Ah... and the lenses have aperture rings. It doesn't get gooder than that
    It could be even better if what Rafael thinks is correct:

    Quote Originally Posted by Rawfa View Post
    This could be the first real chalenge to the NEX sensor, though if I had to guess IŽd say this camera will be around us$1800 body only. Anyway, IŽd happy enough if the 3 primes that Fuji is also releasing can be adapted to the NEX system with no vignetting or weird distortions
    If Fuji make them truly operable without any "X mount" (or whatever it will be)camera- i.e. manual aperture plus manual focus- then the indicated prices are quite cheap for the lenses.

    Sony, Panasonic, etc and their "G" lenses will be collecting dust in vendors shelves.

  18. #18
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: new camera

    Wonderful
    It looks gorgeous - but I can't think of a good reason to want one. . . .
    erm. . . . aaah . . . .

    No good - (except that it's gorgeous).

    I bet it has really good scene modes

    Just this guy you know

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    belgïe
    Posts
    1,492
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: new camera

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Robert, If this holds any semblance of truth (I hope it does), put me on your pre-order list for one with a standard lens plus the extra 2 rumored ones.
    add me to that list, too, please

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Ah... and the lenses have aperture rings. It doesn't get gooder than that
    i hope you're right! that, plus the ability to actually manually focus/fine tune would be lovely! (one of my biggest bugbears with the X100)

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    125
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: new camera

    Is anyone selling their used x100s for $500 now? My guess is there will be quite a few on the market when this hits the shelves!

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    804
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: new camera

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    What is all this negativism about? Here's exactly the camera that many of us have been hoping for, the natural next step after the X100. No AA filter, 6 colour sensor with random photosites (to avoid moiré), fast prime lenses, hybrid viewfinder (the optical part changing with the focal length) and with the image quality that Fuji normally digs out of their coffers, photographers will probably be able to take great images with this camera. In many ways, it looks like what the Contax G2 could have developed into if it had been continued into the digital era.

    If it's available in February or November, who cares? Fuji seems to have developed a camera that I really, really want, and until I get one, I'll have the pleasure of looking forward to it (and I do have a couple of other cameras that I can use in the meantime)
    +1

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    804
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: new camera

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    What is all this negativism about? Here's exactly the camera that many of us have been hoping for, the natural next step after the X100. No AA filter, 6 colour sensor with random photosites (to avoid moiré), fast prime lenses, hybrid viewfinder (the optical part changing with the focal length) and with the image quality that Fuji normally digs out of their coffers, photographers will probably be able to take great images with this camera. In many ways, it looks like what the Contax G2 could have developed into if it had been continued into the digital era.

    If it's available in February or November, who cares? Fuji seems to have developed a camera that I really, really want, and until I get one, I'll have the pleasure of looking forward to it (and I do have a couple of other cameras that I can use in the meantime)
    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Wonderful
    It looks gorgeous - but I can't think of a good reason to want one. . . .
    erm. . . . aaah . . . .

    No good - (except that it's gorgeous).

    I bet it has really good scene modes
    It's not for Leica-M owners, but for those not or no longer willing or able to afford Leica fetish prices, the Fuji looks phenomenal. Don't get me wrong I have an M9 and MP and a number of Leica M-lenses and love them all. But at today's Leica price levels I'd look at the meanwhile attractive alternatives from competition if I wanted to build a compact highest IQ system from scratch.

  23. #23
    Senior Member Rawfa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro
    Posts
    2,393
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: new camera

    I was also intrigued by the "6 colour sensor with random photosites" comment. Is this anything similar to the way foveon sensors work?

  24. #24
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,601
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: new camera

    Quote Originally Posted by Rawfa View Post
    Is this anything similar to the way foveon sensors work?
    As I understand (I understand very little of anything! )it, no.
    But the results could be comparable- at least that is the objective.

  25. #25
    Senior Member Amin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Posts
    1,809
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: new camera

    I think this camera is going to pull a lot of people away from the NEX-7. Looks like a real winner.

  26. #26
    Senior Member Rawfa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro
    Posts
    2,393
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: new camera

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    As I understand (I understand very little of anything! )it, no.
    But the results could be comparable- at least that is the objective.
    Then the plot thickens, my friend

  27. #27
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: new camera

    Quote Originally Posted by Amin View Post
    I think this camera is going to pull a lot of people away from the NEX-7. Looks like a real winner.
    Why Amin?
    It's a completely different thing isn't it?

    Just this guy you know

  28. #28
    Member Agnius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Santa Monica, California
    Posts
    135
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: new camera

    Fuji is stoking the fire... and doing a good job! But once the product gets close to shipping, competition will leak something "even better" - and there we go again... Marketing games.

    The big question is can I mount my M lenses on it (a la NEX series)? Then it would be a definite "poor man's M9".

  29. #29
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,343
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: new camera

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Why Amin?
    It's a completely different thing isn't it?
    Not for me, it isn't. The alternatives that I would consider are the Ricoh, the Sony, the Fuji and whatever Olympus comes up with. From an ownership point of view, it boils down to image quality, ergonomics and what-camera-would-I-like-to-be-seen-on-the-street-with (not necessarily in that sequence ).

    Adapting the Fujinon lenses to the a NEX is more or less out of the question. In addition to the electronic challenge, the Fuji's flange distance is only 17.7 mm while it's 18mm on the Sony. m4/3 is 19.25 mm.

  30. #30
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: new camera

    Quote Originally Posted by Amin View Post
    I think this camera is going to pull a lot of people away from the NEX-7. Looks like a real winner.
    Depends on the quality of the lenses ... but let's remember that Fuji made the XPan

    -Marc

  31. #31
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,343
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: new camera

    Quote Originally Posted by Agnius View Post
    Fuji is stoking the fire... and doing a good job! But once the product gets close to shipping, competition will leak something "even better" - and there we go again... Marketing games.
    It's another ballgame. While Sony is there to conquer the total market, Fuji has a tradition of making cameras that are a bit off the beaten track. The last 10 years, there have been a number of "off-beat" Fujis (S1-S5, Natura, Klasse, the 6x7 folder, X100, X10 etc.). Commercially, they don't always succeed, at least not from a global perspective, but they are strong in the Japanese market and sometimes they hit a home run, like with the X100. Here in Bangkok, I keep getting surprised by the places I see the X100 (and X10) for sale. It's everywhere.

    They are also very strong on service and customer care here and in other Asian markets. They had their own walk-in service department in Bangkok long before Nikon had one here, and it's excellent.

  32. #32
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,343
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: new camera

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Depends on the quality of the lenses ... but let's remember that Fuji made the XPan

    -Marc
    ... and most other current Hasselblads. Although it says Hasselblad on the lenses, I believe they are still made by Fuji.

  33. #33
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,601
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: new camera

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post

    Adapting the Fujinon lenses to the a NEX is more or less out of the question. In addition to the electronic challenge, the Fuji's flange distance is only 17.7 mm while it's 18mm on the Sony. m4/3 is 19.25 mm.

    It isn't that straightforward to dismiss it. I use two fabulous Fujinon lenses on the NEX (they are even usable for the m4/3rds). Both are c-mount lenses with a registry of only 17.52mm.

  34. #34
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Shashin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    4,497
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    141

    Re: new camera

    Quote Originally Posted by Amin View Post
    I think this camera is going to pull a lot of people away from the NEX-7. Looks like a real winner.
    If legacy glass can easily be mounted on this body, I think you are right. But the devil is in the details and the X100 was not without problems. There seem to be some pretty big inovation in this model which don't always work out as planned. If Fuji can learn from the X100 and X10, they may be able to be a very large player in the enthusiasts market--this is not going to be big in the consumer market in general, but Fuji likes making odd-ball models like this and knows that market well, at least in Japan.

    With the great interest in the Fuji X cameras and the Nex 7, I wonder what Olympus and Panasonic will do. Both companies have had huge hits to their camera business and maybe that do not feel they can take a chance or perhaps they are looking at more a general consumer market and will simply not be tempted to challenge that section.

    But finally camera companies are starting to make interesting products.

  35. #35
    Member roanjoh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    213
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: new camera

    FUJI - BRING IT ON!!!

    This might finally make me sell all my Leica gear!

  36. #36
    Workshop Member glenerrolrd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Jupiter FL/Atlanta GA
    Posts
    2,279
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: new camera

    I am sure my emotional “must have the latest and greatest “ will win out but for an M9 owner ...exactly why. Fuji really gets it IMHO and if it follows the x100 it will have few things to fault in IQ . They will surely produce great lenses and the system will be tuned to minimize all the color cast nonsense . Fuji understands color as well as any of these companies and has the capabilities in house . Handling ,menus etc I expect will not be what I want ..but probably can be overcome . The high ISO should reach 3200 for black and white . But ..its a direct overlap to the M9 27 thru 90 FOV ..three lens and two bodies ..the street shooting would be covered .

    But it doesn t appear to extend the range of an M system as the NEX 5/7 appear to be doing.

  37. #37
    Senior Member Amin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Posts
    1,809
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: new camera

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Why Amin?
    It's a completely different thing isn't it?
    -Similar cost
    -Similar size (I'm guessing)
    -Hybrid viewfinder
    -More appealing lens lineup (on paper for most people)
    -More appealing controls (aperture control on lens)

    If you didn't have an M9, couldn't afford one, and had to pick between the NEX and this Fuji system, which would you pick?

    I'm not sure which I'd pick, because I love a good OVF, love a good 35mm equivalent lens, and believe that Sony is committed and on the right track. However, it isn't an easy choice, so it stands to reason that a good number of people will be pulled towards the Fuji camp away from the NEX-7.

  38. #38
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: new camera

    Quote Originally Posted by Amin View Post
    -Similar cost
    -Similar size (I'm guessing)
    -Hybrid viewfinder
    -More appealing lens lineup (on paper for most people)
    -More appealing controls (aperture control on lens)

    If you didn't have an M9, couldn't afford one, and had to pick between the NEX and this Fuji system, which would you pick?

    I'm not sure which I'd pick, because I love a good OVF, love a good 35mm equivalent lens, and believe that Sony is committed and on the right track. However, it isn't an easy choice, so it stands to reason that a good number of people will be pulled towards the Fuji camp away from the NEX-7.
    While having a couple of good primes are very nice, I also like having zooms.

    My single opinion certainly doesn't mean that there isn't a market for a prime only camera just look at the M9. However, if you asked everyone buying the NEX 7 would you still have bought/plan to buy it if you could only use primes, I bet there are a bunch of people that would say no.

  39. #39
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,343
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: new camera

    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    While having a couple of good primes are very nice, I also like having zooms.

    My single opinion certainly doesn't mean that there isn't a market for a prime only camera just look at the M9. However, if you asked everyone buying the NEX 7 would you still have bought/plan to buy it if you could only use primes, I bet there are a bunch of people that would say no.
    People do buy the X100, and with that camera you can't even change the prime. There are even some people (according to what I've heard ) who buy the M9, even if it doesn't AF and even if it costs 4-5 times as much. This new camera seems to be perfectly placed between the NEX 7 and the M9.

  40. #40
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: new camera

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    People do buy the X100, and with that camera you can't even change the prime. There are even some people (according to what I've heard ) who buy the M9, even if it doesn't AF and even if it costs 4-5 times as much. This new camera seems to be perfectly placed between the NEX 7 and the M9.
    I agree.

  41. #41
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,848
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: new camera

    There is no reason that zooms can't work on this camera...certainly in EVF mode; remains to be seen about the focal range of the OVF...

    It sure is nice seeing the first lenses out of the box be primes! Has that ever happened in the digital era?

  42. #42
    Senior Member Tim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Adelaide, SA
    Posts
    1,040
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: new camera

    Quote Originally Posted by Amin View Post
    -Similar cost
    -Similar size (I'm guessing)
    -Hybrid viewfinder
    -More appealing lens lineup (on paper for most people)
    -More appealing controls (aperture control on lens)

    If you didn't have an M9, couldn't afford one, and had to pick between the NEX and this Fuji system, which would you pick?

    I'm not sure which I'd pick, because I love a good OVF, love a good 35mm equivalent lens, and believe that Sony is committed and on the right track. However, it isn't an easy choice, so it stands to reason that a good number of people will be pulled towards the Fuji camp away from the NEX-7.
    Good question Armin, but I think one major missing difference in your lineup is the sensors. I'd have to wait to see the IQ from the Fuji. So far I impressed with the res of the NEX7 but still find the files muddy and ill defined in detail - IMHO. Maybe thats fixable with a good lens though.

    The Fuji may win me over with its files. To a large degree I will adapt to meet a cameras shortcoming IF it produces a great file. I used a DP2 for quite a while. I'm late to the party but currently adapting to my X100 and loving it so far.

    I think I'll wait and see what the Fuji can do and work from there. I am sure though they will have checked this new machine for White Disc problem.

  43. #43
    Senior Member Tim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Adelaide, SA
    Posts
    1,040
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: new camera

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    People do buy the X100, and with that camera you can't even change the prime. There are even some people (according to what I've heard ) who buy the M9, even if it doesn't AF and even if it costs 4-5 times as much. This new camera seems to be perfectly placed between the NEX 7 and the M9.
    I've seen plenty on another Leica forum who bought a M8/9 and only had one lens, many with a 35mm or 50mm. I think these could be people who just want IQ no matter what, and will adapt and work with what they have. I had an MP with only 50mm for at least 12 months.

  44. #44
    Senior Member Tim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Adelaide, SA
    Posts
    1,040
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: new camera

    I don't suppose anyone cares about the Black (Couleur Noire) X100 in the bottom right of the above picture?!

  45. #45
    Senior Member Amin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Posts
    1,809
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: new camera

    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    While having a couple of good primes are very nice, I also like having zooms.

    My single opinion certainly doesn't mean that there isn't a market for a prime only camera just look at the M9. However, if you asked everyone buying the NEX 7 would you still have bought/plan to buy it if you could only use primes, I bet there are a bunch of people that would say no.
    I completely agree with you, and I think a lot of people who either want zooms or a "fully developed system" will be less enthusiastic about the Fuji. My point was not that the Fuji would take away all the enthusiasm for the NEX-7, only that it would successfully compete for a subset of those interested in the Sony.

    It seems to me that the NEX-7, Fuji X-PRO 1, GXR, and upcoming Leica system are all going to compete for the enthusiasts who want a midsized body with great controls and top-notch image quality. The Micro 4/3 and Nikon systems will each have a slightly different niche than the rest, based on lens size.

  46. #46
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: new camera

    Hi Amin

    Right - let's go
    Quote Originally Posted by Amin View Post
    -Similar cost
    -Similar size (I'm guessing).
    You're guessing - The X100 is considerably larger than the NEX7, and this beauty seems much more like the size of the M9 - and as far as I can see it's going to be getting on for twice the price of the NEX7.
    Size comparison
    Quote Originally Posted by Amin View Post
    -Hybrid viewfinder
    Yes, Well, I was goggle eyed at the prospect of a hybrid viewfinder . . .
    But after a month with an X100, I found that In EVF mode I had to trust to the camera . . and in OVF mode . . . I had to trust to the camera. That was with AF . . with MF it was even worse.
    the NEX7 is absolutely precise with the focus peaking . . and if I want an OVF then the rangefinder of the M9 is the answer.
    I always thought Contax really missed the point with the G - if you want a 'real view' viewfinder, then an slr is the answer - the joy and point of a rangefinder is being able to see around the motif . . Fuji seem to have grabbed the same misconception with the X100 and again with this camera.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amin View Post
    -More appealing lens lineup (on paper for most people)
    Three Primes? I can fit almost anything on the NEX, from a 180 APO R lens to a 70-300 G lens to a Zeiss 18mm . . . even assuming that the adapters are there for the fuji, how on earth will the OVF handle that ?. . .and will the EVF have focus peaking?

    Quote Originally Posted by Amin View Post
    -More appealing controls (aperture control on lens)
    . . erm . . like all the lenses I've been using with the Sony over the last few weeks? Seriously, the X100 is a beautiful and functional camera, and the external controls are great . . .but the menus? all those options you really don't want? Will this camera be different ?. . . mind you; the Sony menus aren't much to write home about either . . give me an X1 menu system anyday
    Quote Originally Posted by Amin View Post
    If you didn't have an M9, couldn't afford one, and had to pick between the NEX and this Fuji system, which would you pick?
    The NEX - in a heartbeat - because of it's flexibility - I can put virtually any lens you can think of on the NEX7.

    Quote Originally Posted by Amin View Post
    I'm not sure which I'd pick, because I love a good OVF, love a good 35mm equivalent lens, and believe that Sony is committed and on the right track. However, it isn't an easy choice, so it stands to reason that a good number of people will be pulled towards the Fuji camp away from the NEX-7.
    Well, I love a good OVF too, which is why I'd never give up on the M9, the rangefinder experience is another thing - but although I found the OVF on the X100 very clever, I didn't find it terribly functional. The EVF was fine, but nothing like as good as the Sony ones, and missing the focus peaking.
    However, even assuming that there are adapters, and you can fit other lenses on the Fuji (which seems likely) how is the OVF going to handle that? It seems unlikely that it'll be elegant.

    But I'm sounding grumpy here - I think this camera is a wonderful venture, and it's really good that Leica have some competition, but this seems to me like a wonderful and limited concept, whereas the NEX 7 is a kind of chameleon camera, incredibly flexible and with almost unlimited extendability . . . I just don't see this flexibility here. It seems to me to be very like the Konica Hexar - splendid and laudable . . but neither the devil, nor the deep blue sea.

    So, back to my point - whatever the benefits and wonders of this camera . . I can't really see it as competition for the NEX7.

    But probably I'm missing the point!

    Just this guy you know

  47. #47
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: new camera

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    I don't suppose anyone cares about the Black (Couleur Noire) X100 in the bottom right of the above picture?!
    I hadn't noticed - looks fab doesn't it

    Just this guy you know

  48. #48
    Senior Member Amin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Posts
    1,809
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: new camera

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Well, I love a good OVF too, which is why I'd never give up on the M9, the rangefinder experience is another thing - but although I found the OVF on the X100 very clever, I didn't find it terribly functional.
    Sorry, that was a typo on my part. What I meant to say was, I love a good EVF. I haven't tried either camera, but I'm willing to bet that I would prefer the NEX-7 EVF to the new Fuji hybrid viewfinder.

    Jono, all of your points are good, but in large part they relate to your specific preferences. I think that if were were to take a poll of everyone considering purchase of the NEX-7, a significant portion of those folks would also consider the Fuji system. I'm not saying "everyone" or "most people".

    But now I'm repeating myself, which is never a good thing in a forum .

  49. #49
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: new camera

    Quote Originally Posted by Amin View Post
    Sorry, that was a typo on my part. What I meant to say was, I love a good EVF. I haven't tried either camera, but I'm willing to bet that I would prefer the NEX-7 EVF to the new Fuji hybrid viewfinder.

    Jono, all of your points are good, but in large part they relate to your specific preferences. I think that if were were to take a poll of everyone considering purchase of the NEX-7, a significant portion of those folks would also consider the Fuji system. I'm not saying "everyone" or "most people".

    But now I'm repeating myself, which is never a good thing in a forum .
    Well, as far as I'm concerned you're clarifying yourself . . which is generally a good thing!
    Of course my points relate to my personal preferences . . I think I might be the only person on the whole globe who thought the Contax G camera was a bad idea (and I certainly wasn't against Contax - my RTSII stands as an all time favourite).

    much more importantly (and not repeating myself) I can take this opportunity to be less grumpy and to wish you a
    HAPPY NEW YEAR!

    Just this guy you know

  50. #50
    Senior Member Amin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Posts
    1,809
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: new camera

    Happy New Year, my friend

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •