The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What new adapters for the Fuji X Pro 1 mount?

V

Vivek

I would like a Fuji X Pro 1 (what do they call their mount?) to m4/3rds or NEX mount adapter.

V

Vivek

K-H, Thanks! :)

Kit, If there is an X mount to NEX mount adapter then you can use the Hawk focusing adapter for M lenses and that would be more versatile.

k-hawinkler

Here are some flange focal distances for various camera systems:

Flange focal distance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As a general rule - if you want to be able to focus to infinity - a lens with a longer flange focal distance can be adapted to a camera with a shorter one.

However, in case of Leica R mount (47 mm) and Nikon F mount (46.5 mm) there is only a 0.5 mm difference. So in that case the R lenses can't be adapted to the Nikon but need to be converted. For example, Leitax sells the required mounts. But some lenses won't clear the mirror.

Sony E mount (18 mm) is just 0.3 mm longer than the Fuji X mount (17.7 mm). I haven't seen any products yet but suspect eventually a converter will be available.

As the Leica M mount (27.8 mm) is 10.1 mm longer than the Fuji X mount (17.7 mm), it's no surprise Fuji has already announced an adapter. Of course, it will be very interesting to see how adapted Leica lenses will perform on the Fuji X-Pro1.

Regards, K-H.

V

Vivek

K-H, It isn't just the registry distance that matter for an adapter but how wide the X mount is relative to NEX or m4/rds or etc mounts.

For example, I have been using c-mount (registry 17.5mm) on the m4/3rds (20mm) and the NEX' (18mm). I am confident that I can use my Fujinon-TV 50/1.2, 75/1.8, etc on the Fuji X Pro1

There is even a NEX to m4/3rds adapter that allows infinity focus.

Godfrey

Vivek wrote:

Xmount to NEX mount adapter
Yes, that would be perfect. Let's see!
Can't work. X mount register is shorter than NEX mount from what I've read (17mm vs 18mm), so X lenses cannot be used on NEX cameras and still achieve infinity focus.

The other way is just barely possible ... NEX lenses on Fuji X-Pro1 mount ... as the NEX register leaves a millimeter or so to work with. No idea whether there are other mechanical interference issues to work around, however. If it is possible, you'll be able to use dumb lens mounts. (I doubt any of the electronic lens control protocols are possible.)

k-hawinkler

K-H, It isn't just the registry distance that matter for an adapter but how wide the X mount is relative to NEX or m4/rds or etc mounts.

For example, I have been using c-mount (registry 17.5mm) on the m4/3rds (20mm) and the NEX' (18mm). I am confident that I can use my Fujinon-TV 50/1.2, 75/1.8, etc on the Fuji X Pro1

There is even a NEX to m4/3rds adapter that allows infinity focus.

Vivek,

Many thanks for the information. Very interesting. I appreciate it very much.

Please, let me quote from mounts.htm :

"When is an adaptor between two systems possible?

An adaptor is always possible; some are widely available, like M42-lens->brandX-camera or T2-lens->brandX-camera.
However, even custom order adaptors have to obey an optical law: the register of the lens system should be LARGER than the camera system. If the register of the lens system is SMALLER, or EQUAL (less than 1mm difference) than the camera system, the adaptor requires an optical element to make infinity focussing possible. Otherwise such an adaptor would act as a macro tube, putting the lens further away from the body than designed!
Also, the above non-optics formula only works if the lensmount is a bit smaller than the camera mount.
The extra optical elements are essentially acting as a mild teleconverter; needless to say that this won't improve image quality, nor do you want a teleconverter at all when using wide angle lenses....
The above is also the reason why there are NO non-optics M42 adaptors for Nikon and Leica (at least none that allows infinity focussing).
"

I have found also this reference C-Mount Lenses for mirrorless micro 4/3 and APS-C? in which they mention, quote:

"However, that means the C-mount flange must sit 0.5mm recessed within the throat of the E-mount bayonet to allow the full focus range."

This image apparently shows an example in which an adapted lens doesn't cover the entire sensor:

http://www.instructables.com/image/...-Lenses-for-mirrorless-micro-43-and-APS-C.jpg

This image shows a tiny lens within a much wider adapter:

http://www.instructables.com/image/FPWNZI5GMSXHHBI/Youll-need-an-adapter.jpg

Another interesting reference: Flickr: Discussing Accurate adapter and other c-mount observations in C-Mount on Micro 4/3

In light of this, could you please give me URLs for adapters that satisfy the following conditions:

• lens register shorter than camera register
• no optical elements in adapter
• recessed adapter, if possible, okay
• full range of focus, all the way to infinity
• full coverage of the camera sensor

I also would appreciate a source for the "NEX to m4/3rds adapter that allows infinity focus".

Thanks, K-H.

aleksanderpolo

NEX has shorter flange distance than m4/3, m4/3 has smaller image circle than NEX. Not to mention you won't be able to focus native lens as both systems focus by wire.

monza

K-H, Thanks! :)

Kit, If there is an X mount to NEX mount adapter then you can use the Hawk focusing adapter for M lenses and that would be more versatile.
I've been talking to Hawk about an X to M with helical...

V

Vivek

K-H,

Wow! What an assemblage of things!

I can't give any URLs for the things you asked for.

All I can say is that (again) my c-mount Fujinon-TV 50/1.2, 50/1.4 and 75/1.8 cover APS-C fully at infinity and on the NEX I have been using these for >2 years now. You can buy these adapters on eBay (<$10/including shipping). With shorter FLs, I have not found a (c-mount) lens that would cover APS-C.

I have no intention of mounting a native (electronic types) m4/3rds or a NEX lenses on the Fuji XPro.

I may have lenses already adapted and in those mounts and just would like to have an adapter (instead of adapting everything again with separate adapters) to use them. None of these involve any fly-by-wire lenses.

Robert, Good initiative!

V

Vivek

Oh, an X mount to Olympus pen F adapter would be swell as well.:)