The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Fuji X ___!

scho

Carl: very nice pics, especially the last one...the trees.

Roy Benson
Thank you Roy. I have been shooting this willow grove that is on my daily walking route for several years. Very old trees that will soon be gone.

mathomas

Thanks for all the examples, folks. It's looking to me like the sensor handles DR, esp. shadow details, very nicely. Probably won't replace my M8 with it, but you never know.

Sapphie

Very nice Lee. Great detail and sharp. How did you like working with Silkypix? I do the minimum processing in SP and then like you have done work on the tif in LR. Sure hope we get raw support soon form Adobe.
Thanks Carl

Silkypix on my Mac is rather slow so I prefer not to do much with it. I used the Super Neutral preset and export it as TIFF with no sharpening.

I was able to get a better result this way for this particular image as the JPEG seemed to lose a lot of the detail in the mid tone to brighter parts but I am not sure why. Playing with a few others, I had better results with the JPEGs, so it seems to depend on the image. One thing is for sure, using auto-dr does a great job of preserving highlights. I may next try using standard DR (100%) and making sure I don't blow highlights by keeping an eye on the histogram and see how that compares.

Cheers
Lee

Sapphie

I have fiddled with the OOC JPEG a little more and got a better result. The SP version needed a substantial highlights reduction. With the JPEG, which was Velvia, I have dropped the exposure, reduced contrast, opened up the blacks and bumped up the clarity.

I think this is closer now to the SP version and is better, maybe! I am not really sure if there is much to be gained with tinkering with the RAW after all but I will no doubt change my mind. I am not that good at PP anyway!

Lee

V

Vivek

Thanks Carl

Silkypix on my Mac is rather slow so I prefer not to do much with it. I used the Super Neutral preset and export it as TIFF with no sharpening.

I was able to get a better result this way for this particular image as the JPEG seemed to lose a lot of the detail in the mid tone to brighter parts but I am not sure why. Playing with a few others, I had better results with the JPEGs, so it seems to depend on the image. One thing is for sure, using auto-dr does a great job of preserving highlights. I may next try using standard DR (100%) and making sure I don't blow highlights by keeping an eye on the histogram and see how that compares.

Cheers
Lee

Lee, Try playing with the "demoscaicing sharpening" before saving the file. This has a very big impact on the files, especially with cams with no AA filter.

Sapphie

Lee, Try playing with the "demoscaicing sharpening" before saving the file. This has a very big impact on the files, especially with cams with no AA filter.
Hi Vivek

Silkypix is one of those things that comes and goes in my life, mostly 'goes'! I just spent 20 mins trying to find 'demosaic', ah under 'Development', doh! Default is 80. Are you suggesting I reduce it before export? Does anyone have any good SP tutorials for getting newbies up to speed? On the Mac I have either the bundled V3 or the Developer Studio Pro 4.1, on trial ...

Lee

V

Vivek

Lee, Sorry. I should have mentioned it.:eek:

Yes, 80 is too much for sunlit contrasty shots. Try 20-30 for starters.

There is also adjustments for DR optimization (not great IME).

The CA tool is simple and effective.

benroy

Subscriber Member
35/1,4 / Pro-X: all jpeg images...more macro pics, this time stopping down, around F/8 - F11 at 250th, ISO 400. Easter time in South Florida produces these spectacular amaryllis blooms...hope they have been well served here.

Peeling paint, rusty metal, and the neighbor's mailbox makes for interesting macro shots.

Roy Benson

Last edited:

Sapphie

Another from Silkypix but most PP in LR. I may be getting the hang of it. I still think they are better (even from RAW) if auto-dr is enabled.

Lee

scho

Omg... Do people still roller skate these days?
Oh for sure - and also stand-up paddle boarding and dragon boat racing on the inlet.

35/1,4 / Pro-X: all jpeg images...more macro pics, this time stopping down, around F/8 - F11 at 250th, ISO 400. Easter time in South Florida produces these spectacular amaryllis blooms...hope they have been well served here.
Roy Benson
Beautiful garden flowers Roy.

Another from Silkypix but most PP in LR. I may be getting the hang of it. I still think they are better (even from RAW) if auto-dr is enabled.
Lee
Looks good Lee. I also leave AUTO DR on and haven't seen any negative aspects of doing this yet.

Here is one taken today at the marina under cloudy skies. XP1+18mm f/2. Lens is OK, but not in the same league as the 35. SEP2 conversion of camera jpeg.

Bigkidneys

Oh for sure - and also stand-up paddle boarding and dragon boat racing on the inlet.

Beautiful garden flowers Roy.

Looks good Lee. I also leave AUTO DR on and haven't seen any negative aspects of doing this yet.

Here is one taken today at the marina under cloudy skies. XP1+18mm f/2. Lens is OK, but not in the same league as the 35. SEP2 conversion of camera jpeg.

It's funny you say that. We had our first Dragon Boat races yesterday here on Perdido Key and as I write this, am repairing a ding on my daughter's paddleboard! How crazy is that!

benroy

Subscriber Member
35/1.4 / Pro-X-1: all jpegs...story to tell with these pics...rendering of fine detail is so great that I have doubts that this IQ will translate to web images...take a look.

the doorknob pic: this was a plain dark brown door and a white wall until my grandson monkeyed with the color...I was just trying to show how sharp the doorknob is.

Antherium in pic #3...my daily attempt at phallic symbols. Pic #4: gardenias...didn't see the fly until post processing...

Last edited:

Sapphie

Great shots Roy. I tried some yesterday with in-camera sharpening set to zero. At first when I looked at them I had forgotten this and wondered if I had the dreaded 'bad AF syndrome' about which some people speak! But no, they sharpen up nicely in LR - I went up to 45 here:

Not sure if better or worse than the default sharpening in the camera.

Lee

benroy

Subscriber Member
Back in the garden early this AM: 35/1.4 / Pro-X-1. All jpegs...minimal processing, some cropped...again, great rendering of fine detail.

Last edited:

scho

A few high contrast scenes taken in 90 degree F bright sunshine along a gorge trail this afternoon with the XP1 and 35 1.4. Dark shadows and almost blown highlights were handled fairly well with auto DR. Just jpegs with minor processing in LR4.

Sapphie

Carl

That's astounding. I was just about to upload another one but yours are so much more ... well, just so 'there'. Anyone out there still doubting? We don't work for Fuji ...

Lee

scho

Great shots Roy. I tried some yesterday with in-camera sharpening set to zero. At first when I looked at them I had forgotten this and wondered if I had the dreaded 'bad AF syndrome' about which some people speak! But no, they sharpen up nicely in LR - I went up to 45 here:
Not sure if better or worse than the default sharpening in the camera.
Lee
Looks fine Lee. I've been keeping default sharpening, but -2 noise reduction.

Back in the garden early this AM: 35/1.4 / Pro-X-1. All jpegs...minimal processing, some cropped...again, great rendering of fine detail.
Great detail and color in your garden shots Roy.