The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Fuji X ___!

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
A few more hours standing in the cold and I perhaps could have got the full star trails. I somehow suspect that the battery would have died first though!

Busy place even at 11pm that night!

Gbealnz

Beautiful shot Graham, and having an interest in astrophotography, makes it even more so, well done. You guys are lucky having a pole star like that.
Gary

Last edited:

scho

Carl, this is beautiful.
Can you enlighten me on your split tone monochrome process. Thanks.
Thanks Joe. I use the split tone sliders in LR and my split tone slider starting points with a desaturated RGB file are as follows:

Highlights
Hue 0
Sat 0

Balance 0

Shadows
Hue 41
Sat 11

GrahamWelland

Carl,

This was taken with long exposure NR option off and the default jpg NR set to 0 (standard).

The long exposure setting would have caused a dark frame shot, doubling the amount of time for every shot. To be honest, it didn't need it from what I can see.

I don't know if the Fuji Raw converter uses the standard NR setting when rendering a raw file - if so, then it did a great job because there's basically no noise in the raw -> tiff converted file. I couldn't see anything relating to the NR being picked up by the converter and I had assumed that this was only for jpgs.

The fun thing is that I was actually there shooting with my Phase One MF gear too. I simply would not have been able to capture this with my IQ160 @ 6 minutes without substantial post processing to deal with the noise. :eek:

ashwinrao1

The moonbow was shot in manual mode using bulb exposure and a good old fashioned cable release. What's really funny was that the other folks around me were using the timer display on the back of the X-Pro1 so that they could accurately release their DSLR shutters. :D

For moonlight shots I followed the normal approach of using a starting point of 4 min @ f/4 & ISO 400 but it was exceptionally bright and so ended up at 1-1/2 minutes to get a reasonable exposure without blowing out the water. White balance was daylight although I tuned the grey point in PS to neutralize it a bit.

The other nice thing about the X-Pro1 is the manual focusing control - for this scene I was able to use the focus scale on the rear LCD to zone focus manually because the light levels were too low to use any form of AF or the viewfinder directly. Just simply dial in the focus and watch the focus indicator so that it was at 100ft -> infinity and you're done.

I processed this using the Fuji raw converter but it only outputs 8bit & Adobe RGB to generate a tiff for PS. I'd rather produce 16bit ProPhotoRGB raws and so maybe I need to look at RPP or Silkypix for that until we have ACR support. Processing was just grey point neutralization, a little shadow/highlight to bring up the shadows and basic tone curve.

The good news is that the jpg looks pretty darned close too! I'm very impressed with the X-Pro1. The corners get a little smeary with the 18mm but overall all of the lenses seem excellent too. I just wish that 14mm were available today.

FYI, here's the out of camera jpg - just resized and sharpened for web :thumbs: - hmm, I think I may revisit the image and tone down that sky in the raw version.
Stunning, Graham!

Finally returned home and had a chance to view and process my NYC street photos.
Here are my favorites using the 35/1.4 and Silver Efex Pro.
Invited to display a few of these images at the Canon USA Gallery in Honolulu next month.
I guess they have no problem showing Fuji images.
Enjoy.

f/1.4

f/1.4

f/4

f/1.4

f/1.4

f/1.4

f/5.6

f/8

f/1.4

f/1.4

Rich M

Finally returned home and had a chance to view and process my NYC street photos.
Here are my favorites using the 35/1.4 and Silver Efex Pro.
Invited to display a few of these images at the Canon USA Gallery in Honolulu next month.
I guess they have no problem showing Fuji images.
Enjoy.
Joe......welcome home. Are you printing out any of your pics?

R

m_driscoll

The weather's been unusually nice this week. I really like this camera and lens. JPEGS shot at AA. Letting the camera do it's thing.

X-Pro 1; 60mm f/2.4; 1/150s @ f/5; ISO 200

X-Pro 1; 60mm f/2.4; 1/300s @ f/5.6; ISO 200

X-Pro 1; 60mm f/2.4; 1/420s @ f/8; ISO 200

X-Pro 1; 60mm f/2.4; 1/400s @ f/6.4; ISO 200

Cheers, Matt

Zenfolio | Matt Driscoll

m_driscoll

Great stuff, everybody. :clap: I'm really enjoying this thread. Photographers in the GetDPI Forum. myself included, are certainly peripatetic. Except, for that photographer, who only has one camera and lens, and always posts in the same thread. Not sure which one it was? :D

Cheers, Matt

Zenfolio | Matt Driscoll

GrahamWelland

The weather's been unusually nice this week. I really like this camera and lens. JPEGS shot at AA. Letting the camera do it's thing.

Cheers, Matt

Zenfolio | Matt Driscoll
This is one of those cameras that I'm increasingly becoming more and more trusting of it's automation and jpg capabilities. It's hard for me to let go and not shoot everything manually or at least AE priority with EV compensation. Ditto processing raw files - the Fuji converter seems pretty decent for neutral base images that I then load in to PS CS5 for basic curves and setting a grey point. Nothing else needed in most files so far, and then after all that they annoyingly end up looking almost like the out of camera jpg! :mad: :facesmack:

Are you shooting at the recommended AA settings or do you dial in any -EV? With AE mode I find myself happiest leaving at least -1/3EV most of the time or adjusting to protect the highlights if the preview histogram suggests over exposure.