The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Fuji X ___!

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Manouch/Gary/JGD/Terry - thank you for the kind feedback.

Manouch - the X-Pro1 files really hold up extremely well both as JPGs and now as RAWs from LR. Silkypix works ok but I think I'm going to redo some of my earlier TIFF conversions through LR to see how they render by comparison. We're talking very good quality 16bit files with great ISO and noise performance.

Personally, I'm finding the X-Pro1 to be a great camera system with the Fuji glass. I really really enjoy using it. It's not without it's hiccups - I've had the camera go in to deep sleep for unexplained reasons on a couple of occasions, kind of like how the X100 would do with it's random anywhere from instant -> 30s startup time. Aside this, which I believe is related to removing the SD card to read on the computer, the X-Pro1 is working out well.

I've started shooting some IR too using this camera - mixed results and I'm seeing central hot spots with the lenses when using an R72 filter, although that's not an uncommon experience with lenses not optimized for IR support.

I'm looking forward to the new Fuji glass later this year. I definitely could use both wider & longer glass with this camera. Zooms - pah, I'm not so bothered personally.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Near the thriving metropolis of Wagontire, OR - population 2, well, 3 because I turned up.

Fuji X-Pro1 18mm 1/450 f/9 ISO 200

Playing with the in-camera jpg panorama mode - surprisingly good but it mushes pixels:

Simon M.

Those are amazing shots Graham - really like the Oregon Serengeti.

Here are a couple of recent ones I've worked up in LR; first up one from a recent trip to the mountains (hiking with the XPro-1 was much nicer than a DSLR) and then one from sunset over the foothills just south of Calgary. Enjoy!

Tom morning mist shot is very nice - does this happen often at this location?
Graham, your skill is showing what this camera is truly capable of. Gorgeous images.

dhsimmonds

Something a bit different perhaps:

The Queen's Diamond Jubilee in Winchester, the day before it all kicks off, XP1 with XF18mm.

Simon M.

I agree - a very nice image. I think that the second one has potential too if the foreground is opened up somewhat. The X-Pro1 does a good job with keeping shadow detail.
Thanks Graham and Joe, feedback from two people using this tool so well is always appreciated. The foreground in the second image was very dark as I was on the edge of a hail storm... I may try reprocessing this a bit differently (possibly blending two or more exposures) as the shadows were already boosted a lot in the posted image. Thanks again for the feedback.

Simon

Last edited:

johnnygoesdigital

Simon,

The first one looks like a tech camera photograph with those straight lines! Fantastic photography.

The Xpro 1 is amazing as a backpack camera, I put it all in a Think Tank street walker, cinch the straps and forget it's there. Perhaps soon, I'll have the hand grip for the Xpro 1 too. I just got the 60mm, can't wait to try it with my Hensel lights!

Last edited:

m_driscoll

Seems you have given this some serious thought. Never an easy decision. Will check out your work to see your wonderful photography. Cheers Matt.
Matt,
agree with Joe, you've certainly tossed this around enough to know what is right or not. Either way, we'll be keeping an eye out for your images, they are great.
Gary
Gentlemen: Thank you! And, I'll be looking in here. :D

Cheers, Matt

Zenfolio | Matt Driscoll

Terry

I was playing with a new 60mm macro for my Olympus camera. Finally my Fuji really started to get upset at the complete lack of attention....so I had to oblige. All with the 60 macro. All from RAW with LR4

Simon M.

Gorgeous flowers Terry - really wish things were starting to come up around here but there is still a lot of snow... A couple more from hiking today, overcast with snow and ice. June in the mountains around Calgary...

First up - the better half and our dog just after our lunch, then some snow/ice details at the lake that was the destination for today. Forgot to add originally - all images from raw processed in LR4.1.

Cheers,
Simon

Last edited:

Sapphie

This was from RPP but the the LR version was almost as good despite the water colour effect on distant foliage and both showed more detail than JPEG.

Lee