The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Fuji X ___!

Sapphie

These are lovely . . . . although I suspect it's more to do with the photographer and the scene than the camera!
Fantastic shots everyone - Jolly, all good, Penson, so sharp! Back from the Orient, Jono? You will succumb to the X1-Pro (if you didn't already)...

Lee

jonoslack

Fantastic shots everyone - Jolly, all good, Penson, so sharp! Back from the Orient, Jono? You will succumb to the X1-Pro (if you didn't already)...

Lee
HI Lee
Yes - back here again.
The X1-pro is not for me though - if I want nice lenses and MF then I have my M9 - if I wan't AF, then I don't think the Fuji is it. Each to his own though. The IQ is obviously excellent.

all the best

biglouis

I wasn't seriously thinking of this camera but looking at the IQ I am somewhat blown away.

DPreview have just released some sample shots and for the first in a long time the shots actually sell the IQ of the camera.

LouisB

ptomsu

Workshop Member
HI Lee
Yes - back here again.
The X1-pro is not for me though - if I want nice lenses and MF then I have my M9 - if I wan't AF, then I don't think the Fuji is it. Each to his own though. The IQ is obviously excellent.

all the best
Issue is that if you want a modern RF with AF and useable high ISO then simply FORGET the M9.

I wonder if Leica is waking up at least now (for the future M10) and implementing some of the great things which Fuji has shown meanwhile in the X100 and now in the X Pro 1. Sure both are not perfect cameras, but neither is a Leica M9. And comparing the price the answer is getting pretty clear which one is the winner IMHO.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
The X Pro 1 is a really great camera as I can judge from all the reviews and posts. There are two annoying issues though:

1) the camera and lenses are still NOT available in Austria and most other EU countries

2) there is still no RAW support in LR or C1 Pro or Aperture as far as I know and this time lag between camera first introduced and full support is frustrating.

I was going to buy one today, but guess what - no cameras here in Austria and even less lenses :mad:

Why can a company which wants to be successful act like that?

Sapphie

HI Lee
Yes - back here again.

all the best
With respect, your loss, my gain but I agree, each to their own. Check out David's blog

Soundimageplus

Even with his 'warts' I would still taken the 'all'

Lee

Terry

I was going to buy one today, but guess what - no cameras here in Austria and even less lenses :mad:

Why can a company which wants to be successful act like that?
Cameras in the US just got to dealers in the last two days. People in the US are just starting to get theirs right now.

jlm

Workshop Member
" there is still no RAW support in LR or C1 Pro or Aperture..."

what are people processing the raws with?

V

Vivek

Silkypix comes with the cam. A fine converter. Simple and effective.

Terry

Silkypix comes with the cam. A fine converter. Simple and effective.
Although from everything I've heard and read, it is hard to top the jpegs with Silkypix. So, like most cameras with no support I shoot RAW + jpeg and where needed I go back and reprocess selected RAWs later.

V

Vivek

Well, Ario might be able shed more light on this. There are few things in Silkypix (I use it for my GH-2 files) like the demosaicing sharpening that can not be found in other converters (AFAIK that is).

I agree that the OOC JPGs look awesome on their own.

jonoslack

With respect, your loss, my gain but I agree, each to their own. Check out David's blog

Soundimageplus

Even with his 'warts' I would still taken the 'all'

Lee
HI Lee
Thanks for the link - but it still means zooming in to manually focus, and I've never found that to be very satisfactory.

My problem with all this is I often like to focus on something small with a background some way behind it. Not many cameras will do that well with contrast detect AF, but I find zoom in to focus means I then need to zoom out and recompose . . .by which time the focus is not right. Fine on a tripod for static subjects. Of course, zone focusing is great for street, and if you're taking shots of people at a few metres the camera will generally do a good job with AF anyway. Rangefinder patches work . . and so does focus peaking. If Fuji were to implement focus peaking on the camera, then I think it would be a great improvement, and I might be tempted - but unlike Peter I still like the IQ from the M9 and Leica lenses, and I rarely want to go above 2000 ISO (especially with f1.4 lenses!). Still, one cannot deny the achievement Fuji have made with the IQ.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Cameras in the US just got to dealers in the last two days. People in the US are just starting to get theirs right now.
I know!

Friend of mine bought his complete set in Japan 2 months ago .... hm

Enjoy yours

Peter

Last edited:
Well, Ario might be able shed more light on this. There are few things in Silkypix (I use it for my GH-2 files) like the demosaicing sharpening that can not be found in other converters (AFAIK that is).

I agree that the OOC JPGs look awesome on their own.
I have a very limited experience with Silkpix so I have choosen the setting which seems to be the less intrusive "For Photo retouching 16 bit"
and with this setting after WB adjustment only I import the TIFF files into LR for further editing.
In my view the results are better than the OOC jpg's and LR is for me easier to use and faster to react to the adjustments.
P.S. I have dropped the version bundled with the camera which was giving me troubles in customizing the UI (graphic card compatibility?) and installed the ver 4 Pro for Mac (30 days trial) hoping that Adobe and/or Capture one will provide soon support for the X-1 Pro raw files.