The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Fuji X ___!

teeraash

Hi scifitographer,

Many thanks for the detailed explanation. When you said "and adjust the masking slider until i see outlines", does this mean that you started with high masking and then lowered its value?

Teera

scifitographer

Hi scifitographer,

Many thanks for the detailed explanation. When you said "and adjust the masking slider until i see outlines", does this mean that you started with high masking and then lowered its value?

Teera
sorry, that part wasn't so clear. i start at 0 and i'll hold in the alt button on my keyboard while dragging the slider. at 0 (with the alt button held in) everything will turn white. if it's white then it gets sharpened, if it's black then it doesn't get sharpened. as i move the slider to the right (still holding in the alt button) the white will turn to black based on lines and details in the image. i'll keep sliding until i see a lot of black with white outlines around the main details. so in a sky with clouds i'll see a black sky with white outlines around the clouds and portions inside the clouds.

Simply put, I am in awe of this camera. It is the closest thing to the Contax G2 yet, and the output is blistering sharp and creamy with the 35 1.4.

For these shots I used a 4 stop ND filter so I could shoot wide open in bright sun and processed with VSCO (grain added).

teeraash

sorry, that part wasn't so clear. i start at 0 and i'll hold in the alt button on my keyboard while dragging the slider. at 0 (with the alt button held in) everything will turn white. if it's white then it gets sharpened, if it's black then it doesn't get sharpened. as i move the slider to the right (still holding in the alt button) the white will turn to black based on lines and details in the image. i'll keep sliding until i see a lot of black with white outlines around the main details. so in a sky with clouds i'll see a black sky with white outlines around the clouds and portions inside the clouds.
Many thanks. This technique will be very useful to me and others that doesn't have near perfect eyesight.

kuau

Workshop Member
Re: Fun with the Fuji X-E1

I Just goy my XE-1 with the 35/1.4 from T-Dimensions, I got a great price and it took 2 days to get here from HK, amazing.

I also purchased a used 60, then waiting for 2013 and the 24mm.

My only gripe coming from a NEX-7 is even though they may share the same EVF,
The XE-1 EVF does not give real time feedback, ie. when just looking through the EVF the exposure looks correct, but it's not, lets say I am shooting in Manual mode, and does not simulate different film types.

My workaround is to assign the FN button to DOF preview, then it does stop down the lens, yet shutter speed has no effect on evf display.

I hope Fuji fixes this in a FW upgrade. On the Sony you have the choice of either show affects, or not.

Steven

Lloyd

Very nice. Looks like they have good taste in cameras as well. ;)

BTW, thank you for your kind comment above.

scifitographer

a friend let me try vsco on their computer, lightroom 4 version. pretty cool presets, just not sure they're for me. would recommend to anyone looking for that old film look. the photos were taken today at a local church.

18mm
\

35mm
\

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
a friend let me try vsco on their computer, lightroom 4 version. pretty cool presets, just not sure they're for me. would recommend to anyone looking for that old film look. the photos were taken today at a local church.

18mm
\

35mm
\
I love the rendering. These look very "Stephen Shore" like with that film treatment and subject/composition.