The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Fuji X ___!

raist3d

Not being a Techno, GearHead I wonder why Fuji chose the RAF file for RAW rather than having the camera create a DNG? My uneducated guess is that the X-Trans sensor is the reason. It may have been discussed at some point but I have missed that.

Can anyone explain their choice of the RAF vs DNG?
Consider this "Romulan intelligence"* but DNG isn't as neutral as it is commonly thought. There's also the issue that specific manufacturers may have specific extra data/advantages that the DNG format can't quite capture (or if it can in terms of storage, a general DNG processor won't take advantage of until it can recognize the specific camera model).

Michael Reichman is wrong on this one, he should know better.

- Raist

*- Star Trek reference where the Romulans always seemed to have some way to gather critical information, and it was never quite explained how, except by saying "Romulan Intelligence" (as in "CIA, etc.")

Raist...

Consider this "Romulan intelligence"* but DNG isn't as neutral as it is commonly thought. There's also the issue that specific manufacturers may have specific extra data/advantages that the DNG format can't quite capture (or if it can in terms of storage, a general DNG processor won't take advantage of until it can recognize the specific camera model).

Michael Reichman is wrong on this one, he should know better.

- Raist

*- Star Trek reference where the Romulans always seemed to have some way to gather critical information, and it was never quite explained how, except by saying "Romulan Intelligence" (as in "CIA, etc.")
Raist, my friends in The Federation (both Klingon and Feringi) agree that Reichman is wrong. You really can't trust the Romulans, Reichman is a Romulan. The Vulcans, on the other hand, have indicated that, based on pure logic, there will be proper support for the X-Trans sensor via Photoshop on some future star date.

Nitnaros

Started my Fuji X-Pro1 live just before Xmas.

Shooting otherwise mainly Leica M9, sometimes Mamiya M7 and occasionally Canon 5DII.

Great fun spending a day in Venice; still needed to get used to the controls of the Fuji. Very different experience to M9, incl. the high ISO capabilities. Very nice camera system.

Peter

3x Piazza San Marco:

I have had my XE-1 for about ten days now and have about 50 images from it along with maybe 50 prints in sizes 6x9 inches and 9x13.5 inches comparing the different raw processors. Thanks to Lloyd and Jim R. for their postings I took a hard look at these and with just a few days experience with Silkypix and Capture One, I am starting to get some very nice prints.

I printed each image in jpeg and raw converted with the above programs, I used the jpeg print as my norm and processed each raw file to a TIF and imported to CS6 to balance all three as best I could. I then printed them, I use QTR, and have been studying the results till my eyes crossed. I have to say that all three made excellent prints, but if I had to rank them 1, 2, 3, I would have to say Silkypix was the most pleasing image followed by the jpeg. I print using a combination of 70% warm ton and 30% sepia on Moab Entrada Natural matte finish.

Not a very scientific method, but for the way I like to work, I think I have found what will work for me. Not the ideal answer as I like ACR/LM and I know how they work, but for the prints I now have from Silkypix, I won’t mind the time learning more about how it works.

Now it is time to make photographs.

ReeRay

Re: Fun with the Fuji X-E1

She wanted me to emphasize her newly painted fingernails. I forget to mention I was shooting Jpeg monochrome! :)

Fuji X-E1 Leica 50mm Summicron

Lloyd

One from this past weekend.

My girls (including the one way out front... she waits for no one!):

18mm @ f8,0