The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Fuji X ___!

Storm Approaching Cadillac Ranch - Amarillo, Texas

A friend and I decided to drive from Dallas to Amarillo to photograph the Cadillac Ranch (among other things) and we ended up spending the weekend there.

This shot was taken Sunday morning as we were getting ready to head back to Dallas. It was a wonderful stroke of luck that we were there at sunrise and a storm was moving through the area. Just as the sun was coming up I saw two rainbows below the clouds and took this shot. Yes, the dirt is red but made even more so by the golden light of the sunrise.

Fuji X-Pro1 - 18mm f/14 1/420s ISO 1600 (ISO was so high because I was shooting stars the night before and forgot to set the ISO to 200)

tom in mpls

Jim, I am relieved to learn that it's not only me, an amateur of limited skill, that fails to check the ISO every time. And how wonderful that this camera can cover for my (dare I say our?) mistake so adroitly.

And I don't want to forget to mention that it's a fine photo. And while I'm at it, I must say that your avatar photo is way cool.

Let the camera check it for you--Auto ISO!
No, no, no... I did not buy a camera with manual capabilities to think for me. If I forget, it's my fault and I can't blame the camera for any issues.

Half of the problems I have seen have been "auto-related"... I don't want to be that guy. Auto ISO is ok but I prefer to control the camera myself. I learn more that way.

archiM44

No, no, no... I did not buy a camera with manual capabilities to think for me. If I forget, it's my fault and I can't blame the camera for any issues.

Half of the problems I have seen have been "auto-related"... I don't want to be that guy. Auto ISO is ok but I prefer to control the camera myself. I learn more that way.
Beautiful image Jim - I have often visited your site because of the wonderful pictures, whichever camera you use.
I agree with the disadvantages of autoiso - especially because you can't limit the lowest shutter speed - the camera often goes as low as about 1/35mm equivalent focal length.
maurice

Night Sky with the XP1 & 18mm 30 second exposure

I've never had a chance to shoot the night sky without light pollution and this shot certainly has it as well... but compared to what I have to work with in the Dallas area this was almost a Dark Sky site.... This was taken near Amarillo.. I tried to get as far away from the main city light pollution as possible but there was no safe haven.

Shot with the X-Pro1 and 18mm. Manual mode, lens set to infinity @ f/3.2. ISO 2000 30 second exposure.... I had no idea what I was doing but had fun doing whatever it was. There are slight star trails even at just 30 seconds.... and yes the noise is horrendous but it was a thrill to do this for the first time and get these results as bad as they are... I believe that cluster of stars is the Milky Way... just guessing.

A few more from last weekends' Road Trip

Here's a few more I took last weekend while on a road trip to Amarillo. All shots were taken with the X-Pro1 and the 18mm.

Palo Duro Canyon

Another shot of the storm passing Cadillac Ranch

Flatland Beauty

Braeside

Had a great day out in Edinburgh yesterday at the Jazz & Blues Festival carnival. Actually saw one other guy with an X-Pro 1 there, there were some seriously large DSLR outfits on show as well as a guy with an M9.

I shot a lot of stuff on my OM-D, but I think my favourites were the ones I took later on with the X-Pro 1 (All on Fuji 35mm lens). All from OOC JPG:

Rich M

Very nice Rich, but we want to see a long exposure night shot in full bloom. :D
My wife has one of these plants and it is beautiful in moonlight.
Carl.......I'll quote Jim on this.....

......looking back there are things I should have done.. tripod and bracketing.. always something to learn.
Hehehehe........always something to learn. I'll bust out the tripod, timer and night vision glasses.

R

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
One from a few weeks ago that I'm still working on.
I love the vintage look with this one. We so often get so hung up on megapixels, sharpness, lens distortions and colour abberations, noise etc that it's easy to lose sight of the beauty of just simple lo-tech story telling photography.

:thumbs: