The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Fuji X ___!

Braeside

Thanks Lloyd, I used a Hoya R72 filter and the camera JPG was then post processed in Aperture with the SilverEfex Pro plugin.

Lloyd

Thanks for the info, David. Is that with a Fuji lens? And do you focus manually and adjust the focus for the infrared spectrum?

Braeside

Yes it is the 18mm Fuji lens and I just let it do its thing with AF, as there is enough sensitivity at IR for the contrast AF to work with what IR it sees with the filter on, so no focus correction required.

Its nice to be able to actually frame in live view with the filter on the lens. I generally stick to ISO 400 if I am shooting on a sunny day with a tripod, though I can hold hold at higher ISO if I am stuck.

There is a small hot spot with the lens at some apertures, but can be corrected in post and is not a problem for me.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>Only comment is the last one looks like the white balance is a bit different from the others, perhaps too warm -

I know :)

>it would be fine if the sky wasn't in the shot.

Don't like it either. But this is an event where your choices are more then limited. THere were many cameras and also two video guys at the same spot.

Note on processing: Fuji Raw Converter gets much better detail but LR better Highlights (e.g. sky). Not perfect right now.

Braeside

Hi Uwe, lack of raw support in Aperture is hurting me badly. (I do have LR4 but prefer Aperture generally for my workflow). If I do need to process XP-1 raw I generally use the Fuji Raw Converter to create TIF files and process later in Aperture.

Have tried other raw converters but they either have too many artefacts or too much smearing. The out of camera JPG files are good enough for most of my uses, but I'd like an easier raw solution.

ustein

Contributing Editor
I use The Fuji Raw Converter and then LR. Silkypix has better detail but is not good in highlight recovery.

etrigan63

Can someone dropbox me a couple of X-Pro1 RAW files? I want to get an idea of how they would fit into my workflow. I am getting an X-E1, but the files should be very similar if not the same.

Jolly

Very impressive Jolly! Can you provide a link to the adapters you used?
Fuji XPro1 connected to a Nikon AI adapter connected to a Kenko 1.4x connected through a T adapter to a little refractor telescope Scopos 66ED.

This little telescope i, photographically speaking, a 400mm F/6.1

You can see how little it is here:
sorry the page is in italian

Astrotest il portale dedicato al mondo dei Telescopi- a cura di Piergiovanni Salimbeni e Raffaello Braga

and here: http://www.scoop.it/t/scopos-66-ed

This picture was taken at very close distance with the same telescope. Funny :)

Last edited:

etrigan63

Fun with the Fuji X-E1

OK, this has to be done so it might as well be me. Granted, no one has any images of their own, so I submit this press sample image which will legitimize this camera to all GetDPI members:

DSCF2079 uploaded, but not taken by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

etrigan63

Re: Fun with the Fuji X-E1

Just so you are aware Moonshine, it is written in the unpublished by-laws of GetDPI (The Book of Guy and Jack) that "no camera shall be considered legitimate until it has posted a cat picture." Fuji, who have obviously been lurking here at GetDPI, picked up on this a provided a cat image to legitimize their new camera right away. Clever fellows, these Fujis.