The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Fuji X ___!

sjg284

Great stuff from all

Graham - Cool long exposure, I haven't done one of these since I was a teenager borrowing my Mom's Canon AE-1 .. maybe it's time to get back to it..
Jim - Agreed, this is the best of the two, and a great shot
Braeside - Great B&W conversion
PenSon - Lovely colors, thx for sharing
ustein - Great still life photos, this was my fave
Ario - Lovely portrait
Graham - What a quirky shot, lovely!

A bit of Photoshop Magic...

While I liked the shot I did of the old locomotive I found it lacking in atmosphere so I decided to "play" a bit with that image in Photoshop.

Here is the orignal shot.

And here is the result of my playing with it in Photoshop.. This is the photo I wish I could have captured.. and I do have plans to reshoot it when the moon is full and there (hopefully) will be a bit of clouds in the sky. I reworked the original image and added the clouds and engineer in the cab. I know the photo purist may not care for this but I enjoy experimenting in Photoshop and of the two photos.. the photo below is the one I am considering printing for a spot on my wall. Full moon this weekend.. I'll see what I can get without any manipulation... lower base ISO and longer exposure.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Jim,

Nice job with the edits. These seem very well done although by adding the train driver I think that you also need to either darken or extend the track in front of the train otherwise there's going to be a big wreck in a few seconds! :grin:

I prefer the original myself but hey that's just me. Both are excellent.

Graham...

Jim,

Nice job with the edits. These seem very well done although by adding the train driver I think that you also need to either darken or extend the track in front of the train otherwise there's going to be a big wreck in a few seconds! :grin:

I prefer the original myself but hey that's just me. Both are excellent.
Well, this was one of those "rainy day" things... My hope is to reshoot it this weekend with no "additions or manipulations" I prefer photos that have not been modified in the way that I modified this one but I was having too much fun playing with it. It is a static display so the track ends where the track ends... thus the phrase.. End of the Line!

raist3d

Waiting to see the X-E1 in the flesh. I want to see how small it really is when I pick it up in person. If there's any other system than what I have right now I am most interested in, this would be it (passed on DP2M, passed on EM-5, may still very well keep what I have).

- Ricardo

raist3d

Thanks Ricardo. What system do you currently have?
I own a K-5 with a few lenses and a Pentax Q with a couple of lenses. The camera I am using the most lately is by far the Q.

http://raist3d.typepad.com/files/imgp7943.jpg
http://raist3d.typepad.com/files/imgp8327.jpg

I do a lot of street life and love small cameras, particularly if pocketable. I also own a few 4/3rds (to reiterate: 4/3rds, not m4/3rds) cameras that I use once in a while along with several Olympus 4/3rd lenses and flashes- a whole system really. That was my first original DSLR system.

Anyway, there's a few companies I like and Fuji is one of them. I used to own an F700 and F710 back then. What to me an X-E1 looks promising to do is unify a camera for paid event works/weddings (that would be my K-5) with my personal carry always street work (that would be my Q). I always like the idea of using only *one* camera for all if I can.

Looks like the X-E1 maybe, just maybe, could fit in a pocket without the lens. At least I could "store it away" so that is interesting to me. I also like the ergonomics and sensor output. I am remotely looking at the new Pen but I am not too warm with that "powershot canon wheel" in the back of the interface. I also would prefer if possible to keep the sensor at a level of K-5 which the X-E1 does.

Anyway, I still like my Q a lot. But having a unified camera system, one and only one with APS-C IQ level for everything seems enticing if the Fuji can deliver small enough. One thing the Q has though- leaf shutter = mega quiet.

- Ricardo

Braeside

I'm not sure about the X-E1 yet myself. I like do use the OVF in the X-pro 1 more than the EVF and don't like the relatively slow EVF refresh rate of the X-Pro 1. I read yesterday that Fuji say the X-E1 EVF refresh rate is 46 fps, that is very poor (compared to the OM-D which is 60 fps on Normal and 120 fps on High) I can put up with it for the odd shot, but not as the only VF.

A Japanese web magazine published Fujifilm Mr. Ueno's interview.
1. EVF is the same speed as X-Pro1 46fps. (Sony Nex 7 60fps) The reason why X-E1 is slower than Sony is X-Trans CMOS.
2. EVF latency is less than 20ms, which should be totally acceptable.

Last edited: