The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Fuji X ___!

sjg284

Braeside - Great shots and cool kit!
Jim - Awesome cool shots! Hope you came away unstung.
SciFi - Lovely moving water.. my fave of the two-
Ash - Great color! We don't have quite that much foliage coloration yet..
Lloyd - Great wide shots, making me think more and more about jumping back into a CV super wide ;-) This was my fave of the set.. expansive!

sjg284

Little bit of everything from me this weekend..
All XPro1 & Fuji XF 35

My weekend mornings..

Saturday..

Planters maintained by my building

Later in the park..

+2, Jim....I'm not sure if you are making your own argument re: focus peaking...image looks quite sharp to me... ;)
Ashwin, yes, it is sharp but I really had to take my time to get it there. Focus Peaking would have made it much quicker. Also, after a while the old eyes get tired and that makes manual focus a bit of a pain sometimes.. focus peaking would really help, especially when the subject may not present itself long enough for slow and thoughtful focus.

Since Fuji is obviously after those users with Leica glass then it would seem a no brainer to add focus peaking to help with critical focus.

I don't use the XPro 1 nearly enough. I keep thinking about selling the whole kit, but when I do use it, it is always rewarding. It somehow encourages me to shoot more when it's in my hand.

The above image will likely not render well on an uncalibrated monitor.

- Paul

Lloyd

I challenged myself to go out on the street and ask strangers if I could take their picture... my "Stranger Portrait" self-challenge... and the only rule was that they had to give me permission.

Here are some samples; all taken the same day:

35/f1.4:

18/f2:

CV 15/f4.5:

Lloyd

Lovely stuff Lloyd. It takes a bit of courage to ask total strangers too! Well done.
Thanks David. Yes, it was unnerving at first for sure. The young woman in the top shot was the first person I asked, and had she been unwilling, I might not have continued. I was surprised that only a few people turned me down. I actually had some people who saw me shooting someone else ask me to take one of them.

Rich, Lloyd, thanks for the kind words!

Lloyd, I've always wanted to go out into the street and give that a try, but always seem to find an excuse not to, when I'm out there!

Photomorgana

Me too - I have both and as good as the 35mm is I actually really like the rendering of the 18mm too.
To me, it looks like, 18mm lens has OOF bokeh rendering similar to a symmetrical Double Gauss lens, which I like a lot. However, 35mm lens produces images more similar to a Sonnar type lens, which is good as well, but not what I personally prefer.

Hope new 23mm will be more like 18mm.

Photomorgana

I challenged myself to go out on the street and ask strangers if I could take their picture... my "Stranger Portrait" self-challenge... and the only rule was that they had to give me permission.

Here are some samples; all taken the same day:

Great job.
I really like the 18mm for portrait work. (I think 28mm equivalent is the best for wide angle portrait work, I would not go any wider) it really shines in OOF rendering, in my opinion. But also stopped down to f5.6 I also saw some excellent landscapes shots. Seems like a winner to me.

To me, it looks like, 18mm lens has OOF bokeh rendering similar to a symmetrical Double Gauss lens, which I like a lot. However, 35mm lens produces images more similar to a Sonnar type lens, which is good as well, but not what I personally prefer.

Hope new 23mm will be more like 18mm.
When I first got the X Pro setup I wasn't so enamoured by the 18, perhaps the 35 has too much character and too easy to nail the focus compared to say an M9, you immediately compare the two. But when walking around with the camera it has definitely has a classic fujinon sharpness and look that has grown on me considerably. No doubt the 18 is a fine lens. Actually my preferred lens setup is 28/50/90 (exactly what I have on my M9) and the X lenses 18/35/60 are all stunners, the contrast and colour are wonderful and the whole lot cost me less than one lens on my Leica. It's an unfair comparison as those Leica lenses are worth more today than I paid, whereas the X Pro is losing value, however I think the X Pro is the best value for money set up out there when you consider the quality you can attain for what you pay.