The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Fuji X ___!

Re: Fun with the Fuji X-E2

Defaults on the velvia, Povia? Color, Hilites, shadows etc. DR set or auto. Post process secret sauce?
Sorry... all are camera defaults as I took it out of the box. DR on auto. No secret sauce.. just my normal workflow.. very little tweaking required... honest.

Three from today..

First the Minolta Rokkor on the X-E2 with a cheap adapter from Rainbow Imaging.

The Minolta Rokkor 58mm f/1.2 is one of the great manual focus lenses. Made over 30 years ago it works well today on the Fuji X-E2 with an adapter and using focus peaking.

I've tried using this lens on other cameras with little success due to my old eyes but the focus peaking of the X-E2 lets me get the focus right. The lens produces a very shallow depth of field and dreamy bokeh. It's a tad soft wide open but stopped down it is razor sharp... this one is at f/1.2.

Next.. how about that cheap kit lens.. you know, the 18-55mm inside a shiny Corvette using available light at ISO 800, no noise reduction.

And last a very dirt Mercedes.. water spots everywhere.. how could they try to sell this filthy automobile?

All are JPG. Post in Lightroom.

retow

I think I should go to a workshop run by Jim to learn how to produce such smooth, yet sharp looking files with a pleasent rendering of details.

krist8

Re: Fun with the Fuji X-E1

I have visited Dubrovnik in October. Here are some pics with my X-E1 and 18-55. C&C welcome.
Scenic walk to the old city

Main street of old city

Large water fountain

Tourist posing in front of church

Port entrance to old city

I found a memory and bought it...

While browsing in an antique store (created for men: Mantiques) I came across this old lantern. It is a Dietz Trafic Gard Lantern, made in the 1940s. It was in such good shape and looked so unique that I parted with $38 to add it to my collection of "Weird and Wonderful Stuff". The top hinge that allows access to the wick and globe was rusted tight and I could not remove it to clean it. I gave it a couple of shots of WD40 and let it sit overnight.

This morning it was beginning to loosen and a few more shots of WD40 did the trick. I decided to shoot it late on Thanksgiving Day just for the fun of it. It's a beautiful old lantern that brings back memories of my childhood when such things were used on road construction sites and railroads. Anything that brings back memories is worth holding on to.. even at today's prices.

Fuji X-E2 - 35mm

Hi Jim
Lovely photos - Always great work, it isn't the camera which counts!
Thanks, Jono. High praise coming from you.

I love old things and have been looking for an interesting lantern for some time now. Many of them are way overpriced. A search on eBay showed this one, in good condition, going for $85 and up.. I got a good deal at the price I paid.

Good to hear from you.

Jim

Last edited:

Dale Allyn

Brilliant start to the "Fun with X-E2" thread, Jim. Thank you.

I received my X-E2 on Nov. 15th, but have had little time to play with it. Your images are wonderful and inspiring here. As you've described, the X-E2 has a number of improvements that make it a pleasure to use (e.g. new EVF is very usable).

I"ve only played with the "kit" lens, but have the 35mm en route; and with adapter, a Canon 135 f/2.0 L is great fun on this camera.

There's always room for improvements with any kit, but Fuji gets a lot right with this one.

Thorkil

Main street of old city
very nice Pictures, and a nice re-visit, for my part. I stayed there for a week 19 years old (long time ago) travelling around alone in eastern-Euroupe in wintertime in an old VW van, and after have being snowed-in in Sarajevo in a wild snowstorm.
Nice to see they have been restoring Buildings after that terrible Civil-war. But don't know whats left in the old part of Sarajevo and Mostar.
thorkil

krist8

very nice Pictures, and a nice re-visit, for my part. I stayed there for a week 19 years old (long time ago) travelling around alone in eastern-Euroupe in wintertime in an old VW van, and after have being snowed-in in Sarajevo in a wild snowstorm.
Nice to see they have been restoring Buildings after that terrible Civil-war. But don't know whats left in the old part of Sarajevo and Mostar.
thorkil
Thanks for all the "likes". Yes, there is no sign of war at all, except at the top of the hill where the cable car terminal is. Behind that hill, there were a few holes on the hill side , looking like bombardments from cannons. There is also a war museum up there now. Anyway, it was a nice short visit for me. Nice scenery and great food.

wosim

Re: Fun With The Fuji X100s

Some shots from Venice, Italy

Fuji X100s, iso 6400, f2, 1/17sec

Fuji X100s, iso 400, f2, 1/70sec

The X-E2 at a wedding...

I don't shoot weddings. I have been asked to do so numerous times but always refuse. I don't have the manpower or proper equipment. When I attend a wedding I always bring a camera with me just to see what I can get.

This shot was taken at the wedding of the daughter of the owner of the company I work for. It is a shot of his daughter and her husband during their first dance. I used the Fuji X-E2 and the 35mm f/1.4 and did the B&W conversion in Lightroom and final post work in Photoshop CS6. This was a JPG.

I would have taken more but did not wish to interfere with the pro that was hired to shoot the wedding. He had a staff of four shooting Canon gear while also using high-end video equipment being remotely controlled. This shot is certainly not perfect but I enjoyed being a "Wedding Photographer" for just a few minutes.

Fuji X-E2 - 35mm 1/60 f/1.4 at ISO 800

Nice wedding shot, Jim.
Thanks.. you know, as I look at this photo I can't help but remember what my old B&W shots with TRI-X used to look like and that was at ASA 400. Here is an ISO 800 shot with hardly any noise to speak of.

I also think of those who once declared that Digital will never replace film. It's a wonderful time to be a photographer, isn't it?

ptomsu

Workshop Member

Hi Jim,

these shots you did with the XE2 are just marvelous.

Starts me thinking to get one soon. Have sold my X Pro 1 as I could not get along with not so ideal AF. But I think the XE2 would do a much better job for me.

Please keep posting

Peter

Hi Jim,

these shots you did with the XE2 are just marvelous.

Starts me thinking to get one soon. Have sold my X Pro 1 as I could not get along with not so ideal AF. But I think the XE2 would do a much better job for me.

Please keep posting

Peter
Thanks, Peter... my X-Pro 1 is packed back in the original boxes with all the goodies that came with it.. waiting for a buyer on Craig's List. I prefer to sell local after an incident a few years ago when a guy online bought one of my lenses and then told me it had a scratch on the lens...(which it did not) he wanted his money back.. which I gave him once the lens was back in my hands. Turns out "the scratch" was nothing more than a spec of dust easily removed with a micro-fibre cloth.. I think he really just wanted to play with it to see if it was to his liking... won't do that again.