The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Fuji X ___!

Re: Fun with the Fuji X-E2

Hi Jim,

I read different opinions about the AF-improvement of the X-E1 over the X-Pro1/X-E1.

Some people say it is significant better, others say it is a minor improvement and not worth the upgrade (for AF speed alone).

What is your experience with AF differences?

Thanks

ptomsu

Workshop Member

I tried today the XE2 at my dealer and compared it to the XE1. My impressions (from some 15 minutes playing around):

1) EVF is SIGNIFICANTLY better - sharper, faster, more accurate colors and the diopter adjustment is stiffer to adjust, which is a huge advance IMHO because it cannot readjust as easy as with XE1. Still not as nice as EVF of the EM1, but fully useable now, a huge improvement and I could really live with it!

2) AF is much faster in low light and as far as I could check more accurate. I only can speak for S-AF, as I did not try C-AF.

3) Of course the rear LCD is also MUCH better (larger and higher resolution) - also more accurate color

Would I not just have bought the EM1, I would not hesitate a second to get the XE2. So I will wait a bit and see what of the rumored news from Fuji will arrive next year. There is the rumor for something in between the XPro1 and the XE2 - not sure if that is valid, but sounds interesting. And of course there should be the XPro2 .....

I tried today the XE2 at my dealer and compared it to the XE1. My impressions (from some 15 minutes playing around):

2) AF is much faster in low light and as far as I could check more accurate. I only can speak for S-AF, as I did not try C-AF.
Do you know by accident, which FW version was installed on the X-E1?

AF on the X-E1 seems to be improved a lot with the newest FW.

ptomsu

Workshop Member

Do you know by accident, which FW version was installed on the X-E1?

AF on the X-E1 seems to be improved a lot with the newest FW.
No, sorry I do not know that. Anyway I think that the XE2 is much faster because of faster processing and better AF capabilities of the sensor - which definitely will show results especially in not so great lightning conditions.

kuau

Workshop Member

Jim, awesome work. I just got my X-E2 last week, can't wait to take it out for a test spin.
I have gone all primes, Fuji 14, 23, 35, and Zeiss 50/2ZM and 85/4ZM

Nice to see that some sis not just jump to the new Sony A7, A7R
I was tempted to go with the A7 not the R version, yet at the end of the say I went with the Fuji.

Nathan W. Lediard

From a shoot today for a local artist for her xmas card, most of the shots were done on my hassy, but I always have my trusty X-pro 1 in my bag so I pulled it out to try out my new 18-55...
Arri T1 lighting and Profoto backlighting (gridded beauty dish to supply some moonlight)

18.8mm f2.8 iso 2000 1/340

ptomsu

Workshop Member
From a shoot today for a local artist for her xmas card, most of the shots were done on my hassy, but I always have my trusty X-pro 1 in my bag so I pulled it out to try out my new 18-55...
Arri T1 lighting and Profoto backlighting (gridded beauty dish to supply some moonlight)

18.8mm f2.8 iso 2000 1/340

Really great shot!

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Makes me feel bad as I sold my XPro1 because of too slow AF for shooting. But I am getting back into Fuji now with the XE2 - as soon as I can get one, hopefully before Xmas. Which should solve my AF speed problems ;)

The 18-55 was my preferred lens on the XPro1!

soboyle

Can anyone comment on moving from the X-E1 to the X-E2, and advantages to the new body in real world use? Noticeable improvement in AF speed? Improvements in viewfinder make manual focus easier in low light? Image quality differences?

kuau

Workshop Member

Can anyone comment on moving from the X-E1 to the X-E2, and advantages to the new body in real world use? Noticeable improvement in AF speed? Improvements in viewfinder make manual focus easier in low light? Image quality differences?
I can since I did go for the upgrade.
For me the improved implantation of the EVF was worth it for me and all the other new features and improvements. In regards to AF speed, this was never an issue for me. I shot mostly landscapes so AF performance means zero but AF accuracy does. Oh yeah, peaking works 100% better then the XE1
So yes major improvements on manual focus. I have to Zeiss ZM lenses I use all the time and now focusing is a breeze. I hates the way the XE1 EVF would always auto compensate so I never new where I was at on exposure but with the XE2 and sudo WYSIWYG makes life much easier.

Hi Jim,

I read different opinions about the AF-improvement of the X-E1 over the X-Pro1/X-E1.

Some people say it is significant better, others say it is a minor improvement and not worth the upgrade (for AF speed alone).

What is your experience with AF differences?

Thanks
Sorry for the delay in response.. I've been visiting my mother and sister in Virginia and just got back this evening.

I say the AF speed is better.. leaps and bounds? No.. but better, Yes.

sinwen

Jim I have a few questions for you, hope you don't mind to answer.

First I must say that I didn't make the jump YET from film just because I wasn't pleased with what I was seing and because the digital cameras are full of nonsens useless settings and buttons making the use of the camera very un-friendly.

1) I believe this XE2 is straight forward to use, similar to film with one button one function and I don't need many, no need to deep into menus, so please confirm this. All I need is ISO, shutter and aperture, center and spot metering. Ok add a review and a delete button.
2) Any idea of how M lenses would play on this camera beside the crop factor of course ? Or do you think the actual Fuji lenses are on par then manual Leica lenses bring no IQ advantages and should go on craig list. (well that is just to say because I am not sure I will ever do that :)
3) When you set to 1:1, how is it displaid in the VF ? Just the square and black around it or frame lines over the full frame or else ? I love square format and I am probably one of the few funny guys around praising this setting.

As it is, this camera float my boat, if it had the Olympus IS and a flipping screen it would be ideal but I can wait another ten years before getting it.

If your pictures presented here are straight out of the box, then you have plenty to be pleased with, they are lovely.

Thanks for your answer.
Michel