The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Fuji X ___!

biglouis

I have acquired a secondhand XF50-140/2.8 - mainly for wildlife, although it may find its way into other projects I am working on. This is one sharp lens, even wide open. I was expecting it to be heavier, given that some people complain about the weight but I'm pleasantly surprised at how light it feels. I also have the TC1.4x which came with the 100-400, so if needs be I can extend the range even if it is at the expense of an f-stop.

Shashin

XF10. If anyone is thinking about adding an 18mm lens to their setup, they should consider the XF10. Not only will it give you that focal length, it will also give you a second carry-anywhere camera. Not perfect, the AF is not the fastest I have ever used (although it did get all six steps in focus ;) (sorry for the pun ;) )), but a really nice little camera.

Shashin

XF10

I have not really written a lot about these images. I am fascinated by the overlapping planes caused by reflections in glass (AKA beam splitters) where the demarcation between "inside" and "outside" disappears. For example, the sky and back wall (with street lights) are obviously not inside the building. You can also see the buildings in the reflection align with the building through the window, giving the solid column in the restaurant a transparent appearance. The "floor" of the restaurant is also the reflection of the street outside. (And you probably thought I was just too cheap to by a polarizing filter or too lazy to use one.)

What is interesting about these conditions is that they are not completely apparent to the human visual system. I see the basic opportunity with some of the main elements, but the complex nature of the interacting images/reflections cannot be seen. The visual system simply cannot process them, both because of the lack of DoF and the way it is cognitively filtered. I have to make a photograph to see the image. So while there is a "reality" of recreating what I saw, the image is giving more than what can actually be perceived. To paraphrase a well-known photographer, I photograph the world to see what it looks like in a photograph.

Photography presents two unique properties, first it does accurately present the world--that is described as "indexical" (that is only because post-modernists don't want to critically think about the term "truth"). Second, it can reveal the cognitive process of our visual system by showing the discrepancy between how we perceive the world and what that world looks like. (Apparent perspective (lens compression is one attribute) comes from the fact that photography gave humans that ability to see the world where the angular relationship of where the scene is viewed is different from the angular relationship from where the image is viewed.)

Anyway, I just wanted to share some reflections...

Last edited:

archiM44

Thank you for putting this aspect of photography so clearly.
As an architect I have often been fascinated by the way pictures I have taken of my buildings showed aspects which I neither considered while designing nor saw so clearly when just looking at them.

biglouis

From the Towers of Commerce to the Tower of London - taken from the South Bank of the Thames near Tower Bridge, this morning. The first time I've seen the City without a forest of construction cranes interfering with the view, for some time.

X-T3+10-24, cropped to 617.

AlanS

Thank's Bart, yes partly that but also I had an itch! :ROTFL: and you HAVE to scratch it don't you?

scho

Well I finally made a decision and got the X100v, first shakedown yesterday....]
Congratulations Alan and I hope that you enjoy shooting with this little marvel. I purchased mine a few months ago, thinking that I would use it for travel in the spring, but of course that never happened. Still a fine camera for everyday walks.