Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: X Pro 1 vs NEX 7

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: X Pro 1 vs NEX 7

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    I bought my X1Pro at a Pro photographer's show in Southampton where some good offers (discounts) were available on a number of different camera brands with all the usual manufacturer's representatives on hand with their wares including Fujifilm UK.

Not only did I get the XP1 at a good price, the professional platinum service was thrown in and you get a book of vouchers offering very useful discounts on all lenses and accessories including the EFX-20 flash. The local dealer was on hand to take your orders including any of the accessories ie flash, grip, protective filters, case all discounted using the vouchers.

I didn't get the flash although it looks a very neat little unit, as I would need at least the 42 guide number and a 58 would be better on the rare occasions that I use flash.
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by durrIII View Post
    Let's hear who chose the X Pro 1 over the NEX 7 and why.

Pluses - minuses
    So........did you get the answer you wanted, and which did you buy?
    I'm in the same boat right now, tossing the Fuji against the Sony. No real clear winner, from the postings, lots saying the Fuji was nice, and some saying the Sony was too. Hard to differentiate, and I suppose at the end of the day personal choice is the biggest driver.
    In my case, I want to try them both, but will whittle it down to just the one.
    Gary

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

They are both really nice cameras. I've chosen the Fuji right now over the Sony. For me the Fuji feels right.

The controls are in the right spot - the quick menu covers everything I would want
    I like the OVF and the choice to also use EVF
    The image quality is very nice and excellent lenses certainly help

The Sony produces very nice images as well. It is easy to use and there are lots of good things to say. We are living in a time of great choices.

I will have two systems. Fuji plus either Sony or m4/3. Right now m4/3 is winning because I can fill my lens gaps better.
    terry
    www.terrybanet.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers Terry, helps when the answers are from users with both cameras, or experience with both.
    Right now the dealer I know says the biggest issue with the NEX is the lens quality, the only one worthwhile being the 24mm (Zeiss). Fuji on the other hand seems sorted in this respect.
    My main reason, apart from GAS, is that with glasses I am fining the DSLR finders easier to see through than the R/F finders (I have a digital M as well).
    Regards
    Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Terry, if Fujifilm adhere to their future lens roadmap, maybe the gaps will be slowly filled. I well remember when Olympus were the only 4/3rds range of cameras in town and they published their roadmap for future lenses in overlapping chart form.

It seemed as if it could never happen but now the range of olympus lenses for 4/3rds is very complete. I really hope that Fujifim can make it all happen for us as so far they are excellent lenses.

If third party lenses designed for the Fuji X mount appear, things could speed up a bit. Already we have seen publicity for a Chinese F0.95/35 lens with an X mount, and it's still very early days.
    Cheers, Dave

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

After having tried (and continuously using it) the NEX-C3, I will say this.

If only Sony had introduced a NEX-7 with the sensor characteristics of the C3 (or the 5N or the upcoming F3), Fuji X-Pro-1 would not be in contention at all despite the beautiful colors it produces.

It is interesting that one of the biggest sensor manufacturers in the world do not appear to be competitive when it comes to cameras and photography.

The price point, versatility, accessories and adaptability- all these things are in favor of the NEX-7 but for the shortcomings with the sensor.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    After having tried (and continuously using it) the NEX-C3, I will say this.

If only Sony had introduced a NEX-7 with the sensor characteristics of the C3 (or the 5N or the upcoming F3), Fuji X-Pro-1 would not be in contention at all despite the beautiful colors it produces.

It is interesting that one of the biggest sensor manufacturers in the world do not appear to be competitive when it comes to cameras and photography.

The price point, versatility, accessories and adaptability- all these things are in favor of the NEX-7 but for the shortcomings with the sensor.
    Vivek - it isn't about the sensor for me. I'm happy with the output from the NEX 7. In this case it is about the camera and the shooting experience. If Sony put the 5N sensor in the NEX7 it wouldn't change anything.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Terry, Of course, it is different strokes for different people.

For me, when I use a system, I look for these:

1. Spare body (even if it is not as capable as the primary camera).

2. Decent flash system.

3. One of the salient features of the mirrorless system cameras that got me spoiled on this is: Adaptability and usability of manual focusing lenses.

..a list of of such yadayadas.

I do think that Fuji has a superb sensor and that delivers stunningly colorful images. Even my favorite and very simple Silkypix works on its files!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I dont own the x-pro 1 but the x100 and the Nex 5n and 7.

1) I dont find the 24/1.8 the only usefull lens for Nex. The kit lens (at least my sample) is very good for a kit lens, and even the 18-200 Sony and also the Tamron are quite good for such lenses)

2) User interface is a lot different between the Fujy and the Nex. I think one really has to have it in hand , better is to use it to decide which one works better (personal thing).

For my part I prefer the Fuji user interface (I expect the x-pro to be similar to the x100 I own).
    Its OVF+EVF vs EVF, and its theplacement of buttons and the menue structure.

If I didnt have a M9 I would immediatly buy a X-pro 1.

AF-speed...I have small kids so I do know about moving subjects. IMO -even if there differences - m4/3, Nex or Fuji are all too slow for usefull continous AF. The only thing that would help is a Nikon or Canon DSLR ala 1d/3d/D700/800, 7d/5dIII.
    And the mirrorless are all fast enough for the other stuff. thats just my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Vivek - it isn't about the sensor for me. I'm happy with the output from the NEX 7. In this case it is about the camera and the shooting experience. If Sony put the 5N sensor in the NEX7 it wouldn't change anything.
    Vivek......I agree with Terry on this one. It is all about the intrinsic quality of the shooting experience.

As good as the NEX7 feels in the hand, the Fuji is always the camera being used.

R

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Rich, Of course! Repeating myself, it is different requirements for different folks!

That brings me to ask the OP, Durr, what have you done (ie., What did you decide on)? If I understand it correctly, you are hardly a newbie when it comes to photography!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

BTW, one remarkable coincidence is that whatever "legacy" lenses that work on the NEX-C3 (or the 5N) appear to work well on the Fuji X Pro 1. That is not the case with the NEX-7.

So, users of both the systems ( X pro and some of the NEX bodies) can mutually benefit from their experiences when it comes to corner sharpness, lack of magenta shift and such related to the IQ (albeit, as duly noted, the shooting experience will differ markedly).

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I bought both, one will go to my youngest son for his college grad gift (Next week!)

i'm keeping the nex because:
    C1 can process raws, M adapters available, better focusing alternative to M8, still leaves a niche for the M8 (sort of)
    it is so small and has the adjustable screen

i'm passing on the Fuji to my son because:
    it shoots great jpg's
    he will use the great fuji 35 and autofocus, no need for M lenses or peaking
    it is more a leica-like camera camera on it's own and he doesn't have an M8

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

BTW, one remarkable coincidence is that whatever "legacy" lenses that work on the NEX-C3 (or the 5N) appear to work well on the Fuji X Pro 1. That is not the case with the NEX-7.

So, users of both the systems ( X pro and some of the NEX bodies) can mutually benefit from their experiences when it comes to corner sharpness, lack of magenta shift and such related to the IQ (albeit, as duly noted, the shooting experience will differ markedly).
    That's an interesting observation and nice to hear. I have a couple of legacy lenses that I use with my 5N and decided against the Nex-7, but am close to pulling the trigger on the X-Pro 1.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Vivek.....you are correct (as usual ).

My 24/3.8 Elmar and the ZM 18/4 shifted badly on the NEX7 and that is indiscernible on the Fuji.

A joy is that the Elmar with its flat focus field at infinity (and it's a hard stop at infinity with the Kipon adapter) focuses from ~15' to infinity. So, in that sense it becomes a postcard camera (albeit a highly priced one).......point and shoot.

R

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Rich,

I look forward to your shots with your C-V lenses on the X Pro1. Should be a delight!

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone sees cameras in different ways and for different needs.

One person may see the NEX simply as a digital back of sorts for a collection of legacy glass. Another person may see it simply as a compact AF camera to use a p&s with nothing more than the 18-55 "kit" zoom. Another person still may see it as something in between where they may enjoy using some legacy glass but want to supplement that with some e-mount AF lenses.

No one is right or wrong about whats important or what works or doesn't work on a given camera because its all dictated by the users own needs.

For example, does the NEX line have "poor focus" ?? Depends on who you ask. Try to shoot little kids running around indoors then yeah, the NEX7 is a bit sluggish. Throw a 50 Cron on it with adapter though and between its 912K display and magnification options, in addition to the peaking feature, in addition to also having a very high rez EVF its totally brilliant and the best platform around for manual focus.

But then even that statement is tempered based on what legacy lenses someone might want to use. If you've got set of Rokkor's the NEX7 is great. If you want to use some RF wides though its can be a frustrating experience.

Overall point being is that there is simply so many user variables and personal taste in any of these A vs B type debates that its really impossible to expect any type of consensus. Well at least short of the more "fan boy" forums where if your in the camera A forum, and ask about A vs B, you can bet that the answer will lean 99% to camera A lol

Quote Originally Posted by Rich M View Post
    Vivek......I agree with Terry on this one. It is all about the intrinsic quality of the shooting experience.

As good as the NEX7 feels in the hand, the Fuji is always the camera being used.

R

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, thanks guys (and dolls) for the insights. Still on the fence tho'. I am leaning towards the Fuji, but I have no where to go touchy feelly either one. My local dealer has not seen either yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Did I chime in yet? I've tried both. These are really 2 very different systems, but I want only one right now. The Sony is a great camera. So much better than the NEX 5 except for high ISO. It has more pixels, faster focus, better EVF, and fold out LCD compared to the Fuji. But I much prefer my Fuji. Ergos are way, way better, I prefer the output, high ISO is no contest, and then the Sony really has no good lens option except the 24mm. Which could well be enough, I suppose. Anyway, I find the Fuji much more enjoyable to use. It feels so good in hand, and I can't say that for the Sony.

Post Thanks / Like

I come from a long line of Sonys and had the NEX 7, used it with the excellent 55-210 and some really nice adapted Zeiss glass. I also had an X-100 and felt torn between the two systems. At the end of the day, as good as the images were from the NEX, I didn't feel as inspired and challenged as I did with the X-100 so I traded both cameras in for the X-Pro w/35mm lens. I'll be getting my Contax adapter today so I can use my Zeiss 85 1.4 with the rig. It's all about the sensor. That was the carrot...leading me to get the X-Pro. I've seen so many great images from this camera that it just needed to be.
    BRU-PRI

X-Pro1

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

In a comparison article the "Amateur Photographer" concluded that the M9 produces the better RAW images. The X PRo1 is the best of the M9, Nex7 and Fuji X Pro1 for JPEG,s, High ISO and general handling and significantly less expensive than the M9 which is now also showing it's design age.

I wonder if that conclusion will still hold good when decent RAW conversion software from Adobe or C1Pro is available?
    Cheers, Dave

Senior Member johnnygoesdigital's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I've owned the M9, the Nex 7, and now the Fuji Xpro1. For me, this quirky little camera (xp1), wins. The nex 7, although a nice little camera, I could not get use to the EVF or the annoying video button. I used a novoflex adapter for Nikon, and Zeiss lenses, but stop down metering, always slowed things up. Another thing was the hot shoe adapter. I simply hate having another electrical connection to think about when using wireless strobes. Make sure you have additional batteries for that too. The menus were quite annoying too, with submenus and explanations popping up every time I used them. Perhaps, with the AF Zeiss, It would have left a better impression. My M9's shutter sound leaves much to be desired in comparison to the silky feel of the Xpro1. With the choice of OVF, video, and AF, and probably one of the best Fuji lenses ever (35mm f1.4), this camera is my choice. There all really good cameras, but for me the Xpro 1 is the better one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by johnnygoesdigital View Post
    ... the annoying video button.
    I was forever taking accidental videos. As well as perpetually making inadvertent EC changes.

Senior Member johnnygoesdigital's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, great camera, but that is a curious placement for the video button. The cool thing about the Xpro1, is that you can assign the (Fn) button to shoot video, and it's out of the way. Now just waiting for the 60mm and hand grip, that should make it more fun!