The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X Pro 1 vs NEX 7

V

Vivek

Rich, Of course! Repeating myself, it is different requirements for different folks! :)

That brings me to ask the OP, Durr, what have you done (ie., What did you decide on)? If I understand it correctly, you are hardly a newbie when it comes to photography!;)

V

Vivek

BTW, one remarkable coincidence is that whatever "legacy" lenses that work on the NEX-C3 (or the 5N) appear to work well on the Fuji X Pro 1. That is not the case with the NEX-7.

So, users of both the systems ( X pro and some of the NEX bodies) can mutually benefit from their experiences when it comes to corner sharpness, lack of magenta shift and such related to the IQ (albeit, as duly noted, the shooting experience will differ markedly). :thumbs:

jlm

Workshop Member
I bought both, one will go to my youngest son for his college grad gift (Next week!)

i'm keeping the nex because:
C1 can process raws, M adapters available, better focusing alternative to M8, still leaves a niche for the M8 (sort of)
it is so small and has the adjustable screen

i'm passing on the Fuji to my son because:
it shoots great jpg's
he will use the great fuji 35 and autofocus, no need for M lenses or peaking
it is more a leica-like camera camera on it's own and he doesn't have an M8

JCT

BTW, one remarkable coincidence is that whatever "legacy" lenses that work on the NEX-C3 (or the 5N) appear to work well on the Fuji X Pro 1. That is not the case with the NEX-7.

So, users of both the systems ( X pro and some of the NEX bodies) can mutually benefit from their experiences when it comes to corner sharpness, lack of magenta shift and such related to the IQ (albeit, as duly noted, the shooting experience will differ markedly). :thumbs:
That's an interesting observation and nice to hear. I have a couple of legacy lenses that I use with my 5N and decided against the Nex-7, but am close to pulling the trigger on the X-Pro 1.

Rich M

Vivek.....you are correct (as usual ;) ).

My 24/3.8 Elmar and the ZM 18/4 shifted badly on the NEX7 and that is indiscernible on the Fuji.

A joy is that the Elmar with its flat focus field at infinity (and it's a hard stop at infinity with the Kipon adapter) focuses from ~15' to infinity. So, in that sense it becomes a postcard camera (albeit a highly priced one).......point and shoot.

R

V

Vivek

Rich,

:eek:

I look forward to your shots with your C-V lenses on the X Pro1. Should be a delight! :)

Millsart

Everyone sees cameras in different ways and for different needs.

One person may see the NEX simply as a digital back of sorts for a collection of legacy glass. Another person may see it simply as a compact AF camera to use a p&s with nothing more than the 18-55 "kit" zoom. Another person still may see it as something in between where they may enjoy using some legacy glass but want to supplement that with some e-mount AF lenses.

No one is right or wrong about whats important or what works or doesn't work on a given camera because its all dictated by the users own needs.

For example, does the NEX line have "poor focus" ?? Depends on who you ask. Try to shoot little kids running around indoors then yeah, the NEX7 is a bit sluggish. Throw a 50 Cron on it with adapter though and between its 912K display and magnification options, in addition to the peaking feature, in addition to also having a very high rez EVF its totally brilliant and the best platform around for manual focus.

But then even that statement is tempered based on what legacy lenses someone might want to use. If you've got set of Rokkor's the NEX7 is great. If you want to use some RF wides though its can be a frustrating experience.

Overall point being is that there is simply so many user variables and personal taste in any of these A vs B type debates that its really impossible to expect any type of consensus. Well at least short of the more "fan boy" forums where if your in the camera A forum, and ask about A vs B, you can bet that the answer will lean 99% to camera A lol

Vivek......I agree with Terry on this one. It is all about the intrinsic quality of the shooting experience.

As good as the NEX7 feels in the hand, the Fuji is always the camera being used.

R

durrIII

Well, thanks guys (and dolls) for the insights. Still on the fence tho'. I am leaning towards the Fuji, but I have no where to go touchy feelly either one. My local dealer has not seen either yet.

tom in mpls

Did I chime in yet? I've tried both. These are really 2 very different systems, but I want only one right now. The Sony is a great camera. So much better than the NEX 5 except for high ISO. It has more pixels, faster focus, better EVF, and fold out LCD compared to the Fuji. But I much prefer my Fuji. Ergos are way, way better, I prefer the output, high ISO is no contest, and then the Sony really has no good lens option except the 24mm. Which could well be enough, I suppose. Anyway, I find the Fuji much more enjoyable to use. It feels so good in hand, and I can't say that for the Sony.

BruPri

I come from a long line of Sonys and had the NEX 7, used it with the excellent 55-210 and some really nice adapted Zeiss glass. I also had an X-100 and felt torn between the two systems. At the end of the day, as good as the images were from the NEX, I didn't feel as inspired and challenged as I did with the X-100 so I traded both cameras in for the X-Pro w/35mm lens. I'll be getting my Contax adapter today so I can use my Zeiss 85 1.4 with the rig. It's all about the sensor. That was the carrot...leading me to get the X-Pro. I've seen so many great images from this camera that it just needed to be.

dhsimmonds

In a comparison article the "Amateur Photographer" concluded that the M9 produces the better RAW images. The X PRo1 is the best of the M9, Nex7 and Fuji X Pro1 for JPEG,s, High ISO and general handling and significantly less expensive than the M9 which is now also showing it's design age.

I wonder if that conclusion will still hold good when decent RAW conversion software from Adobe or C1Pro is available? ;)

johnnygoesdigital

I've owned the M9, the Nex 7, and now the Fuji Xpro1. For me, this quirky little camera (xp1), wins. The nex 7, although a nice little camera, I could not get use to the EVF or the annoying video button. I used a novoflex adapter for Nikon, and Zeiss lenses, but stop down metering, always slowed things up. Another thing was the hot shoe adapter. I simply hate having another electrical connection to think about when using wireless strobes. Make sure you have additional batteries for that too. The menus were quite annoying too, with submenus and explanations popping up every time I used them. Perhaps, with the AF Zeiss, It would have left a better impression. My M9's shutter sound leaves much to be desired in comparison to the silky feel of the Xpro1. With the choice of OVF, video, and AF, and probably one of the best Fuji lenses ever (35mm f1.4), this camera is my choice. There all really good cameras, but for me the Xpro 1 is the better one.

johnnygoesdigital

Yes, great camera, but that is a curious placement for the video button. The cool thing about the Xpro1, is that you can assign the (Fn) button to shoot video, and it's out of the way. Now just waiting for the 60mm and hand grip, that should make it more fun!