The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X Pro 1 vs NEX 7

PenSon

problems to chose - so both :thumbup:

Both camera produce very nice pictures with nice lenses.

+ Sony : size, plenty of lenses to fit with different adapters (some with autofocus), focus peaking.
- Sony : EVF in low light (lots of noise), easy to unwanted change some buttons on the camera (moviebutton, exp and aperture wheel)

+ Fuji : very nice fujinon lenses ( not so expensive like zeiss lenses), jpg rendering, EVF/OVF, handling
- Fuji: not so many lenses for the system, manual focusing, aperture/autofocus noise when camera is on without using the shutter-button, have to buy a separate diopter .

Trygve

scho

problems to chose - so both :thumbup:

Both camera produce very nice pictures with nice lenses.

+ Sony : size, plenty of lenses to fit with different adapters (some with autofocus), focus peaking.
- Sony : EVF in low light (lots of noise), easy to unwanted change some buttons on the camera (moviebutton, exp and aperture wheel)

+ Fuji : very nice fujinon lenses ( not so expensive like zeiss lenses), jpg rendering, EVF/OVF, handling
- Fuji: not so many lenses for the system, manual focusing, aperture/autofocus noise when camera is on without using the shutter-button, have to buy a separate diopter .

Trygve
Ditto and best, most concise assessment of the pros/cons of both cameras I've seen so far. Thanks for posting.

Terry

I haven't followed the diopter discussions much can you point me in the direction of where to get them or a thread about them.

Terry

Cool. They aren't expensive like the Leica ones YEAH. I'm just at the point where I'm thinking about reading glasses and don't know if a diopter will be needed or not or even how strong. I think that was part of my problem with the M8. I was cost prohibitive to experiment and good luck finding a dealer where you could try them out.

Paratom

Let's hear who chose the X Pro 1 over the NEX 7 and why.

Pluses - minuses
I havent chosen the x pro 1 over the Nex yet but I just dont get along so great with the EVF. So I am evaluating to maybe replace the Nex with the X Pro 1 - but I first have to try one and see how I get along with the AF and the handling of the camera.

Reason would be OVF and fast primes.

jonoslack

I havent chosen the x pro 1 over the Nex yet but I just dont get along so great with the EVF. So I am evaluating to maybe replace the Nex with the X Pro 1 - but I first have to try one and see how I get along with the AF and the handling of the camera.

Reason would be OVF and fast primes.
Well, I can't speak for the X Pro1, but I found the OVF on the X100 to be fairly useless because it didn't really work with manual focus . . and you couldn't really see what was in focus using AF. EVFs are nasty, but functionally they're really good, especially with focus peaking.

Sapphie

Jono

Why would you need MF on the X100? I found AF fairly reliable and if did the AFL button in MF mode thing you could switch to EVF and magnify the view.

Lee

jonoslack

Jono

Why would you need MF on the X100? I found AF fairly reliable and if did the AFL button in MF mode thing you could switch to EVF and magnify the view.

Lee
HI Lee
Well, I'm not sure why one would need it - mainly because one couldn't see if the AF had focused on the spot you intended, or the face 20ft behind with higher contrast - and anyway, like the Leica X1, it's there, and should therefore be useable!

I've never been able to get to grips with the view magnify thing on any camera - except on a tripod for static subjects where it's fine.

Why they haven't implemented focus peaking - which solves all of these issues - is beyond me.

Still, lots of other people seem really happy, the image quality and high ISO is obviously excellent, the two different zoom levels on the OVF is inspired, so maybe it's just me being grumpy . . . but give me a NEX7 anyday!

all the best

V

Vivek

Has anyone used the flashes (external)? How good is the TTL? Is the delay between the pre and the actual flash negligible?

This is a big plus with the Sony Alpha E system.

Paratom

Well, I can't speak for the X Pro1, but I found the OVF on the X100 to be fairly useless because it didn't really work with manual focus . . and you couldn't really see what was in focus using AF. EVFs are nasty, but functionally they're really good, especially with focus peaking.
They changed it so you can have 2 boxes I believe - and the box changes color once focus has been achieved. Shouldnt that work pretty fine?

jonoslack

They changed it so you can have 2 boxes I believe - and the box changes color once focus has been achieved. Shouldnt that work pretty fine?
Well, I haven't tried that, so I don't know, but the problem was not whether SOMETHING was in focus, it was WHAT was in focus that was the difficulty.

But I must stop grouching on about this - I just feel that Fuji have put style and chic above operability - personally I'm all for style and chic, but not at the expense of function.

Now I'll stop whittering on about it - maybe I'm slightly resentful because I thought that the hybrid viewfinder was the answer to the meaning of life, and I was disappointed to find that (for me at least) it really wasn't.

V

Vivek

Now I'll stop whittering on about it - maybe I'm slightly resentful because I thought that the hybrid viewfinder was the answer to the meaning of life, and I was disappointed to find that (for me at least) it really wasn't.
Jono, There is only one "perfect camera*" :ROTFL:

[* The Leica M9, until the M10 shows up :) ]

Paratom

Well, I haven't tried that, so I don't know, but the problem was not whether SOMETHING was in focus, it was WHAT was in focus that was the difficulty.

But I must stop grouching on about this - I just feel that Fuji have put style and chic above operability - personally I'm all for style and chic, but not at the expense of function.

I checked it out, there are now 3 boxes, one for close, one for medium, one for long distance.
The one which is used by the AF gets green. I cant comment yet how good that works. I give the x100 a try and want to see how it works for me. The viewfinder and the information in the viewfinder looks quite good.

jonoslack

Jono, There is only one "perfect camera*" :ROTFL:

[* The Leica M9, until the M10 shows up :) ]
:) Exactly Vivek . . . . still, I've reconsidered my position on the NEX7 . . . Fortunately prices have dropped, so I managed to replace the one I sold 6 weeks ago for almost what I sold the old one for (it actually cost me £99). The lenses were still here - it's interesting re-discovering it.

I fear I sold it in a fit of pique on discovering that it wasn't the perfect camera for ski-ing.

It's nice to have it back again.

dhsimmonds

Jono
Lee
Hi Lee

I totally agree! I can never understand the fuss about fitting MF lenses to an AF camera then moaning about the various problems encountered in doing so!

The X100 and X1Pro are photographers cameras with quirks, there can be no denying that. However both cameras are a real joy to master and whilst my Sony DSLR's are great and easy to use for the subject material that I use them for, the little X cameras really give me the most real satisfaction in use, even if I do swear at them from time to time!

In all honesty though it is always something that I have done wrong rather than the camera! The IQ from both of the X's is excellent with the X1P being quite exceptional, especially with the 35/1.4 lens fitted. The 60 macro is also a superb lens, I can't speak for the 18mm lens as I don't have that one yet.

Some Leica M users are now openly comparing the 35/1.4 evenly with the Leica 50mmm Cron and Lux lenses. As one Leica user put it "the little Fuji can AF faster than I can manually focus my M9 after years of using M cameras."

So, in summary even though I am an avid Sony Alpha user of both the A900 and A77, I didn't jump for the Nex7, preferring instead the X1Pro IQ and the sheer personal satisfaction of using it. The future road map of X1Pro lenses was also a material input for my decision, as the Sony Nex lenses leave a lot to be desired with no future timed roadmap.

fotografz

Hi Lee

I totally agree! I can never understand the fuss about fitting MF lenses to an AF camera then moaning about the various problems encountered in doing so!

The X100 and X1Pro are photographers cameras with quirks, there can be no denying that. However both cameras are a real joy to master and whilst my Sony DSLR's are great and easy to use for the subject material that I use them for, the little X cameras really give me the most real satisfaction in use, even if I do swear at them from time to time!

In all honesty though it is always something that I have done wrong rather than the camera! The IQ from both of the X's is excellent with the X1P being quite exceptional, especially with the 35/1.4 lens fitted. The 60 macro is also a superb lens, I can't speak for the 18mm lens as I don't have that one yet.

Some Leica M users are now openly comparing the 35/1.4 evenly with the Leica 50mmm Cron and Lux lenses. As one Leica user put it "the little Fuji can AF faster than I can manually focus my M9 after years of using M cameras."

So, in summary even though I am an avid Sony Alpha user of both the A900 and A77, I didn't jump for the Nex7, preferring instead the X1Pro IQ and the sheer personal satisfaction of using it. The future road map of X1Pro lenses was also a material input for my decision, as the Sony Nex lenses leave a lot to be desired with no future timed roadmap.
How is the X1-Pro AF in lower light? I've seen blog reports from owners that it is not so hot in lower light, being slow and unreliable. Perhaps the comparison to focusing the M camera should take that into account since that is where a rangefinder shines?

-M

peterb

How is the X1-Pro AF in lower light? I've seen blog reports from owners that it is not so hot in lower light, being slow and unreliable. Perhaps the comparison to focusing the M camera should take that into account since that is where a rangefinder shines?
One of the great ironies of the X Pro 1 is that Fuji seems to have gone to great lengths to develop a novel sensor that offers great high ISO performance and moire resistance, engineer three (or two and a half at least) extraordinarily fast optics, pioneer a combined OVF and EVF and then put them in a body whose AF has been reported to be blind as a bat in low light.

Kinda makes the whole exercise null and void.

(But I have to admit when conditions are good, from what I've seen here, Flickr and elsewhere the images produced by the X Pro 1 are quite impressive.)