The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X-PRO 1 AF and focusing - AUTOFOCUS TRICK

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I find it almost amusing that we train ourselves to out smart the dumb AF on most cameras and yet so easily overlook how good current cameras can be if you let them. I also found that it works very well if you leave it to it's own devices!

I'm still enjoying the jpgs straight from the camera! (still capturing raws too though for later). Off to Yosemite in the morning with my X-Pro1 as the backup system to my medium format gear. It'll be interesting to see how much I use it as it has been exceeding my expectations so far.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Graham,

Take an OM-D, too so we can finally see a Fuji/Olympus/Phase shootout. Oh wait! And a D800!

Thanks, :rolleyes:

Matt

GrahamWelland

I'm flying unfortunately so the four wheel drive camera bag isn't coming with me. Otherwise .... :ROTFL:

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
With a 28 or wider and at f/8, I find the AF spot on. And REALLY fast!
:ROTFL:
Matt

GrahamWelland

I can't argue with that :D

Btw, I keep hearing about how horrible the MF is on the X-Pro1. I always tend to shoot in MF mode but the focus speed is no problem if you use the AF/AE button when in manual mode. Best of both worlds because you can quickly grab focus and then fine tune manually use the lens ring. This works well for me.

V

Vivek

Tracking bicycles with CDAF is easy and nothing new. Even a Panasonic G1 with a 20/1.7 does this effectively and quickly. On a wet dreary day, a shiny (contrasty) metal piece is easy to focus on.