The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Gariz X-Pro 1 half case

Braeside

I normally never use a case around a camera, I think the last time was with my 1970's Canon FTbn.:eek:

However, I found that with the XP-1 my pinkie was falling below the bottom of the camera and it was slightly uncomfortable for me. I toyed with the idea of the Fuji grip, but what put me off was that it blocked access to the SD card slot and battery compartment, a problem I could do without, I had enough or unscrewing base plates on the M8 thanks very much.

I then found the Gariz half case on eBay.

It took 3 days to arrive from Korea to the UK, a couple of days for Parcel Force to then find my address:confused:

What I like about it:

It does add extra depth to the base of the camera, my pinkie finger is now on the leather not below the camera.

The leather adds to the bulk of the grip which again helps me.

I can still access the battery and the SD card.

All camera controls are just as easily accessed as before.

The new tripod socket is nearer the centre of the camera, away from the battery compartment.

Although the base is metal, the rim of the base is leather keeping it and the table scratch free.

The quality of the leather, stitching and lining are very good.

Only one minor quibble:

Requires a coin or similar to tighten the screw into the camera tripod thread, would have been nicer with a fold away D ring perhaps. Saying that I cannot see me ever wanting to take the case off the camera.

On this basis I would give it 9/10.

tom in mpls

Odd about the screw. D ring has I thought bees standard on that brand. But with access to battery/SD, one would rarely or never have need to remove it. Question: I already find it a little awkward. To inset or remove SD because the slot is located on the door hinde side; is it significantly more difficult with the case on?

Braeside

Yes, I thought it was standard, but perhaps it is included with their gunshot adaptor or something. I wouldn't say it is much more difficult to get at the SD card, though having finger nails helps.

My other quibble with Fuji is with their batteries, they should have keyed them to make sure they can only fit one way. They also have two arrows on them, crazy stuff.

tom in mpls

Ah, I know. The tripod socket is too close to the battery door; using a D-ring would have blocked the door.

And I agree that ALL camera makers should make the batteries idiot proof, just for me.

dhsimmonds

David, I am toying with the idea of a Gariz as I like the design for all the reasons that you mention. As a matter of interest, which colour did you go for?

m_driscoll

I've got a black Gariz, also. Excellent case. My quibbles would be thickness and shininess of the base, screw on bottom, and not cutout to access USB. I ordered a Kanji case, but it won't be here until July. Luigi makes a nice looking case, also.

I always end up with more half cases then I need. It's got to be just right! :D

Cheers, Matt

Zenfolio | Matt Driscoll

Braeside

Hi Matt, I guess a black anodised base might have been nice. Not too worried about the USB access myself. I like the thickness of the bottom as it adds the extra depth I need for my pinkie. Will be interested in how your Kanji case turns out too.

Rich M

I have the Gariz for the NEX7.......I too would give it a 9/10.

Sadly, the NEX7 has not been used in three weeks. Wonder why? ;)

Still deciding to go for a case with the XP1......it looks so nice unshod. (My pinkie finger would like one.)

R