The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X100 vs X1 pro image quality

K

Kevin_b1

How does the image quality from the X100 compare to the X1pro with the 35mm lens as I am looking at using either set up for just B&W.

Here in the UK the X100 can be had for around £650 where as the X1 pro with lens is still around £1850 so a big difference.

I know there are several people here that have both and just wanted an image comparison?

Regards
Kevin

Sapphie

Hi Kevin

I have both and ... you need them both!

When I bought the X100 my Pentax K5 sate idle.

When I bought the X-Pro 1 my X100 sat mostly idle.

I sold my K5 and K20D and do not miss them. Whenever I use my X-Pro 1 my X100 gets jealous.

The reality is (for me) that there isn't enough time to get out and use them.

The X100 is a real looker and a great imaging machine.

The X-Pro 1 is the best thing since ....

Lee

dhsimmonds

Hi Kevin

Yes I have both and at the moment I tend to agree with Lee. I use the X100 when either I need fill in flash or the 35mm (135 film equiv.) field of view.

This will certainly change when the 23mm lens for the Xpro1 is available though! I do have the flash unit for the XPro1 but it is so much more convenient to have it built in to the camera on the X100. Yep, I really do need them both at the moment, but the XPI is superb! In the end you get what you pay, sorry!

woodyspedden

Kevin

If I could add my two cents worth the X1Pro is the best black and white camera I have yet owned (and I have owned a bunch.) I suspect that some of it is due to the sensor and there may be other reasons less obvious to me. I recently shot my Grandson's wedding (my first real experience with the XPro1) and while the color images were very good (ACR and Lightroom 4.1 need more work and Silkypix is a pain in the #$%) the black and white conversions were just stunning. I converted using Silver Efex Pro. So if your primary interest is black and white I can heartily recommend. If your primary interest is color, I believe there is substantial work before folks at Adobe and Camera One learn how to properly demoniac the color images

Woody

dhsimmonds

I now have the 18mm XF lens and I must say that since adding this lens to my arsenal, the X100 is going to get left at home a whole lot more!

I have just returned from Winchester the ancient capital of England where they take royal events very seriously and the XP1 plus 18mm XF lens were the perfect partners for capturing the Royal Jubilee atmosphere due to kick off this week-end!

Also the ergonomics of the Xp1 are just so much better IMHO than the X100 from menu selection to shutter noise!

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Dave,

I love my X100 but since I've had my X-Pro1 it has probably been used for maybe a dozen images. That's not a reflection so much of the X100 which I really like, but more a reflection of how good and compelling the X-Pro1 is.

I'd been contemplating investing in another Leica M9 but to be honest the X-Pro1 has pretty much nix'd that idea. I may still get a Monochrom at some point but for general colour use the X-Pro1 is my go to camera.

That said, I don't see myself selling my X100 any time soon - at least not until Fuji have a true 35mm equivalent lens for the X-Pro1.

gDallasK

How does the image quality from the X100 compare to the X1pro.

I know there are several people here that have both and just wanted an image comparison?

Regards
Kevin
The first image is from the X100. The second was taken with the 35mm lens (52 mm equivalent).

I have owned to XP1 for a few months now but bought the X100 just a couple of weeks ago. I was surprised that the image quality of the X100 was so good - in my view it is certainly not so far behind the XP1 that you regret the fact that you are using it rather than the XP1 every time you press the shutter. Here's how I rank the two cameras on my key criteria for ownership :

IQ XP1 (This is far and away the most important factor for me)
Responsiveness X100
Form Factor X100
Ergonomics XP1
Menu XP1
OVF / EVF X100
LCD Tied

Last edited:

retow

I now have the 18mm XF lens and I must say that since adding this lens to my arsenal, the X100 is going to get left at home a whole lot more!

I have just returned from Winchester the ancient capital of England where they take royal events very seriously and the XP1 plus 18mm XF lens were the perfect partners for capturing the Royal Jubilee atmosphere due to kick off this week-end!

Also the ergonomics of the Xp1 are just so much better IMHO than the X100 from menu selection to shutter noise!
X100 and shutter noise? It's among the most silent shutters existing-there simply is no "noise".

douglasf13

I had to make this decision myself, recently, and I chose the X100 because it is smaller, quieter, has a built-in ND, and I like limiting myself to a single lens. I also think that Trans-X isn't ready for primetime with current raw conversion technology, and there's a weird, watercolor-ish smoothness to low-mid ISO shots, especially in the greens. I haven't tested it in B&W, though.

dhsimmonds

The first image is from the X100. The second was taken with the 35mm lens (52 mm equivalent).

I have owned to XP1 for a few months now but bought the X100 just a couple of weeks ago. I was surprised that the image quality of the X100 was so good - in my view it is certainly not so far behind the XP1 that you regret the fact that you are using it rather than the XP1 every time you press the shutter. Here's how I rank the two cameras on my key criteria for ownership :

IQ XP1 (This is far and away the most important factor for me)
Responsiveness X100
Form Factor X100
Ergonomics XP1
Menu XP1
OVF / EVF X100
LCD Tied
I wouldn't argue with of this excellent response.

Last edited:

Paratom

I think these are kind of different cameras.
The x100 is a pretty compact reportage style 35mm for camera, and the x-pro 1 is more like a (so far little) system.
The xpro 1 is like a M8 with better high ISO and AF, the x100 is like a Leica X2 with a built in viewfinder and a more classical UI.
IQ of both I find pretty good.

F

flashinm

I had to make this decision myself, recently, and I chose the X100 because it is smaller, quieter, has a built-in ND, and I like limiting myself to a single lens. I also think that Trans-X isn't ready for primetime with current raw conversion technology, and there's a weird, watercolor-ish smoothness to low-mid ISO shots, especially in the greens. I haven't tested it in B&W, though.
Lightroom 4.1 does a great job with Fuji Xpro1 files. There's no watercolor effect.

Sapphie

Lightroom 4.1 does a great job with Fuji Xpro1 files. There's no watercolor effect.
Actually, it is well-documented that, for certain types of shot, for example those that include lots of detailed foliage or even just generally detailed landscapes, that LR is sub-optimal and does indeed have the dreaded water-colour effect, or at least a smoothing away of detail.

Not everyone sees it though - depending on what they shoot.

Lee

F

flashinm

Yes, you're right. I had been editing my pictures on a pc that's hooked up to a plasma tv because I like the large display. While it's calibrated for color, it clearly doesn't render details the same way. I saw no problems even when viewing at 100%, but I just looked at them on an lcd screen and I clearly see the watercolor effect. Bummer, I wondered what all the fuss was about.

K

Kevin_b1

Well it's taken me some time have had plenty of trips to the shops and had demo's of both the X1 Pro and X100 and finally decided to buy the X100.

Thanks for all the usefull comments received.

Got a very low use model off of EBay with hood, spare batteries and case at a very good price, so looking forward to receiving it in the next couple of days.

Can someone tell me what is the latest firmware version so I can check and update if required as soon as it arrives.

Will join in and post some photos soon, I know these will be lost in the sea of new photos coming from the X-E1 but I am excited to get my new toy.

Regards

Kevin