Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lightroom Support now available!

Post Thanks / Like

Lightroom Support now available!

It's out!

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4.1

The Adobe® Photoshop® Lightroom® 4.1 update includes these enhancements:

• The ability to process HDR TIFF files. (16, 24 or 32-bit TIFF files)
    • Additional Color Fringing corrections to help address chromatic aberration.
    • Save photobooks created in the Book Module to JPEG
    • Publishing photos to Adobe Revel is now accessible via a Publish plugin
    • Additional camera support for several new cameras including the Canon EOS 5D Mark III, Fujifilm X-Pro1, Nikon D800, and Olympus OM-D E-M5.
    • Corrections for issues introduced in previous versions of Lightroom.

Mac: Adobe - Lightroom : For Mac : Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4.1

Win: Adobe - Lightroom : For Windows : Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4.1

Lee
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lightroom Support now available!

sweet. thanks for the heads up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hooray, a quality RAW software for the X Pro 1 at last!
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ooh - you just made my week!!! Fuji X-Pro 1 support at last.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like

Initial impressions are that Adobe have done a really great job. The JPEGs are very good but I think RAW will now be my preference. Some of my JPEGs now look 'over sharpened', whilst sharpening in LR can be increased to 40+ and the files look great and more natural to my eyes.

My other initial finding is that, if you have been shooting auto-dr, you will know that the camera raises the ISO, effectively underexposing to preserve the highlights and then using some magic to bring up the shadows. With the X100, LR just read such RAWs as they were, so would look underexposed. With the X-Pro 1 it is adjusting the tone curve so that the images look similar to the JPEG in this regard.

Exciting times!

Lee

Post Thanks / Like

Also available of course the Adobe Camera Raw plugin via update to Photoshop CS6 or stand alone plugin. Don't know if it will work with earlier versions of photoshop.
    Also the Adobe DNG converter which might well be a temporary workaround for those using Aperture, Capture One, or any program which accepts DNG files.

Post Thanks / Like

here's my first raw file processed with lr4. so far i'm happy with the files i've played with. the white flower petals were too hot on the jpg, the raw file looks much better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphie View Post
    It's out!

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4.1

The Adobe® Photoshop® Lightroom® 4.1 update includes these enhancements:

• The ability to process HDR TIFF files. (16, 24 or 32-bit TIFF files)
    • Additional Color Fringing corrections to help address chromatic aberration.
    • Save photobooks created in the Book Module to JPEG
    • Publishing photos to Adobe Revel is now accessible via a Publish plugin
    • Additional camera support for several new cameras including the Canon EOS 5D Mark III, Fujifilm X-Pro1, Nikon D800, and Olympus OM-D E-M5.
    • Corrections for issues introduced in previous versions of Lightroom.

Mac: Adobe - Lightroom : For Mac : Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4.1

Win: Adobe - Lightroom : For Windows : Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4.1

Lee
    Thanks Lee........and JUST when I was learning to love RPP

R

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by archiM44 View Post
    Also available of course the Adobe Camera Raw plugin via update to Photoshop CS6 or stand alone plugin. Don't know if it will work with earlier versions of photoshop.
    Also the Adobe DNG converter which might well be a temporary workaround for those using Aperture, Capture One, or any program which accepts DNG files.
    Nope, RAF files converted in Adobe DNG Converter cannot be opened in Aperture or Capture One (in Capture One I get a red monochrome file)

Post Thanks / Like

What about an older version of Photoshop, CS4 or so?

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You're screwed - Adobe wants LR 4.x or CS6.x. :-(
    Last edited by GrahamWelland; 30th May 2012 at 18:07.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like

Does the LR Raw converter apply the lens distortion correction? I notice the Fuji SilkyPix does, but RPP does not?
    David Anderson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rich M View Post
    Thanks Lee........and JUST when I was learning to love RPP

R
    I think RPP can give great results but I don't think the X-Pro support is really more than a beta at the moment and, of course, there are many benefits from using LR.

I will keep an eye on any RPP updates, though, for sure.

Lee

Post Thanks / Like

Just upgrading my old copy of LR3 now! - I had hoped Apple would update Aperture to support the camera, but so far nothing.
    David Anderson

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm, not terribly impressed by LR's rendering of the .raf files. The green foliage is like a painting compared to even the OOC JPG. They seem to be applying some serious smoothing to the files. RPP shows the true detail that is there, but suffers from colour aliasing on edges and lines with VNG at present. Hope Adobe can improve this a lot.
    David Anderson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Braeside View Post
    Hmmm, not terribly impressed by LR's rendering of the .raf files. The green foliage is like a painting compared to even the OOC JPG. They seem to be applying some serious smoothing to the files. RPP shows the true detail that is there, but suffers from colour aliasing on edges and lines with VNG at present. Hope Adobe can improve this a lot.
    Hi David

If by 'painting' we are thinking of a sort of soft, mushy appearance where some of the detail has been 'blurred away', I have seen this sometimes in the JPEGs, particularly for distant foliage. Whilst this would be 'out of focus' anyway, I do think that RPP brings out more detail.

When I tried the new LR this morning this was the first thing I looked for and I thought it was better than the JPEG though maybe not quite as good as RPP. Having said that, this was at 4.30 am (don't ask!) so it is possible I was seeing things or not. I'll have another play tonight.

Lee

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Lee, yes soft mushy detail in the foliage, smoothed out. The camera JPGs are actually better. I'll post some samples later, at first I thought I had got the files mixed up.
    RPP has tons more detail, but artefacts which spoil it. Silkypix is giving more detail that LR4 for me, though not as much as RPP. I'm rather disappointed by LR4's rendering to say the least, I had expected to be blown away by it. Its not just me, I see similar comments on another forum. Of course, there may be something that I'm not doing right in LR4, but out of the box it isn't very impressive at the pixel level.
    David Anderson

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Lee, yes soft mushy detail in the foliage, smoothed out. The camera JPGs are actually better. I'll post some samples later, at first I thought I had got the files mixed up.
    RPP has tons more detail, but artefacts which spoil it. Silkypix is giving more detail that LR4 for me, though not as much as RPP. I'm rather disappointed by LR4's rendering to say the least, I had expected to be blown away by it. Its not just me, I see similar comments on another forum. Of course, there may be something that I'm not doing right in LR4, but out of the box it isn't very impressive at the pixel level.
    This does not surprise me because it seemed that the studio RAW files at DPReview were not as good as the jpeg files.

Sean Reid seems to be doing OK with the RAW files. Would be interesting to see how he is processing the files in LR4.

Senior Member johnnygoesdigital's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Silky pics is great as a raw converter, just adding another step from finepix is not really a bother either. Eventually, i'll use LR4, but for now this works great!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    This does not surprise me because it seemed that the studio RAW files at DPReview were not as good as the jpeg files.

Sean Reid seems to be doing OK with the RAW files. Would be interesting to see how he is processing the files in LR4.
    Hi Terry, admittedly I am guilty of severe pixel peeping here, but the effect of this smearing-painterly effect is most evident on fine structures like distant foliage on trees, where you have a great deal of potentially small detail at all scales.

Looking at a nice close-up macro shot of some texture it looks OK, but the acid test for me is landscapes with distant trees and bushes. (I no longer subscribe to Mr Reid's site so have no idea what subjects he has been shooting in his tests).

For now I am pretty happy with JPGs from the camera, unless I blow the highlights, or want to do some severe processing like for example with IR shots. SilkyPix is generally fine for bringing out decent files for me, and if RPP didn't produce such an amount of colour artefacts and diddly edges it would beat the resolution of Silkypix.

Its also interesting that RPP is the only one to not correct the lens distortion automatically, particularly noticeable if taking a shot with the Fuji 18mm lens.

What I am really waiting for is Aperture support, just because that is my normal raw workflow.
    David Anderson

Post Thanks / Like

Some screen shots: (all at 100%)

1. Left LR4 Right Camera JPG

2. Left Silkypix Right RPP VNG
    David Anderson

Post Thanks / Like

The strange thing is that a lens correction has clearly been applied by default to RAF files.
    One of my RAF files taken with the 18mm has strong barrel distortion when processed in RPP.
    In out of camera JPG, Silkypix and now in LR4.1 (and of course ACR) it has been corrected.
    In Sean Reid's latest review, he believes that the XPRO-1 also applies some sophisticated noise reduction to the RAW files.
    My DNG raw files from my Leica M9 of the same building I mentioned above do not show any lens correction in LR by default, only when I deliberately choose to do so.
    As far as I'm concerned this is as it should be

Post Thanks / Like

Apparently ACR & LR4 (and Silkypix) automatically apply lens correction to the X-Pro raw files, as they also apparently do with micro 4/3 files. I agree it would be nice to have the choice. (Well we do, use RPP). Aperture will likely also ignore the lens correction if and when it supports the Fuji.
    David Anderson

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Micro 4/3 lens corrections are built into the RAW and will be made in RAW processors that support lens corrections. So, with m4/3 you would see the same thing. LR, Aperture, ACR all give you the corrected view. RPP would not. Micro 4/3 system the lens corrections are an integral part of the system and how they were able to reduce size and weight of the lenses. You buy the system accepting that fact.

archiM44 - Not clear if you think lens corrections should only be done when you want them?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a raw conversion from LR4.1 and the same file converted earlier with RPP. This was shot with the Fujinon 60mm and apparently the image was cropped slightly in LR4.1 when lens corrections were applied automatically.

LR4.1

RPP

Last edited by scho; 30th May 2012 at 09:32. Reason: wrong image
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

Carl, I find it difficult to see critical differences due to the limitations of a resized image I assume. Can you tell us what you are seeing with LR4 vs RPP? Is one superior to the other? The concern here seems to be over fine detail.

Post Thanks / Like

Cross post from FM on the watercolor effect:
    X-Pro 1 tested by Pop Photo - FM Forums

By the way Braeside, I also see the serious artifact in your RPP, especially the lines of dots in the water. The silkypix ones seem to be the best one so far.

Post Thanks / Like

Tom can you see the differences in my 100% crops a few posts above?
    David Anderson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aleksanderpolo View Post
    Cross post from FM on the watercolor effect:
    X-Pro 1 tested by Pop Photo - FM Forums

By the way Braeside, I also see the serious artifact in your RPP, especially the lines of dots in the water. The silkypix ones seem to be the best one so far.
    Yes that's the problem with RPP for me, it is acknowledged by the author as a limitation at present.
    David Anderson

Post Thanks / Like

Tom can you see the differences in my 100% crops a few posts above?
    David, I should first say that the differences in color is distracting for me; it's hard to try to ignore color variation when that is not the issue. Anyway, I do see some difference between them. Silkypix seems most indistinct, in need of sharpening perhaps. jpg does seem to show more detail than LR. These examples do not make it clear yet to me which I prefer.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a screen grab at 100% of the LR4.1 (left) and RPP (right) processed files in LR. I think you can see some difference in fine detail resolution in the grass. I originally posted a cropped RPP image above and corrected that, but cache has not cleared yet.

edit: open image in a new window for pixel peeping
    Last edited by scho; 30th May 2012 at 10:16. Reason: add info
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tom in mpls View Post
    David, I should first say that the differences in color is distracting for me; it's hard to try to ignore color variation when that is not the issue. Anyway, I do see some difference between them. Silkypix seems most indistinct, in need of sharpening perhaps. jpg does seem to show more detail than LR. These examples do not make it clear yet to me which I prefer.
    Tom, remember we are pixel peeping here, but to my eyes (in terms of detail) the Silkypix is the best, the camera jpg 2nd best, RPP shows details but has horrid artefacts and LR4.1, shock horror, is smeary. Ignore the colour differences they can be adjusted to taste, but nothing brings back the details from the smears in the green foliage. Sharpening never adds detail, quite the opposite, an unsharpened image always has more detail, sharpening is an optical illusion (though a necessary one for digital files, but a last step).
    David Anderson

Post Thanks / Like

I think that default sharpening on the JPEGs is quite high, so to match it you need to increase LR to about 40-50. May be worth playing with the Point Curve contrast.

Lee

Post Thanks / Like

I shot an MF system about 2 years ago. It had no AA filter, and files really needed no sharpening. I was hoping that the same might be true for the XP1.

Is sharpening needed when using Silkypix? So far I've shot jpg only, while sitting on the sidlines and observing the gnashing of teeth regarding RAW.

Senior Member The Smoking Camera's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    Here is a screen grab at 100% of the LR4.1 (left) and RPP (right) processed files in LR. I think you can see some difference in fine detail resolution in the grass. I originally posted a cropped RPP image above and corrected that, but cache has not cleared yet.

edit: open image in a new window for pixel peeping
    My goodness. This is quite a difference in details. Thanks for sharing these Carl.
    Joe Marquez
    www.thesmokingcamera.com

Post Thanks / Like

I know this doesn't help but this started off looking worse in RAW than the JPEG but I fiddled a bit and it now looks better. In LR 4.1 we must not be afraid of pushing those sliders! I went to 40 sharpening, 65 detail for this one. It does not look over or artificially sharpened. Who knows what Fuji are doing to get to their JPEGs?

Lee

Post Thanks / Like

Tom I think the best thing is to do your own tests, as everyone has their own threshold for sharpness. For non pixel peepers the files look great on my 27" iMac when they fill the screen. My big printer is out of ink, so I have not tried any printing yet.

I am very happy with the JPGs for most things. As I mentioned earlier, the only time I would need a raw file would be if I blew the highlights badly and needed to recover them in raw, which I can do as I shoot raw+jpg fine all the time.

It is purely an academic exercise for me to see which raw processor works best, personally I would like to use Aperture. I remember a few years ago there was a big discussion about how badly the Sony sensors performed, with 'watercolour' effects showing up in ACR. In the end ACR was improved and the files looked really good, so there is some hope that they can develop a better raw developer for Fuji as well, though Sandy the author of PhotoRaw thinks that Fuji made a mistake with this sensor. See his latest blog at ChromaSoft: Lightroom 4.1 and the Fuji X-Pro1 - oh dear.....
    David Anderson

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphie View Post
    I know this doesn't help but this started off looking worse in RAW than the JPEG but I fiddled a bit and it now looks better. In LR 4.1 we must not be afraid of pushing those sliders! I went to 40 sharpening, 65 detail for this one. It does not look over or artificially sharpened. Who knows what Fuji are doing to get to their JPEGs?

Lee
    Recently I read something else that their S# dslr files took huge amounts of sharpening. So, this doesn't surprise me. I think I will see if I can get more details.

Post Thanks / Like

LR41 vs JPEG out of camera:

As I understand you can view full size if you open the image above itself.
    Last edited by ustein; 30th May 2012 at 16:03.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Uwe, I seem to have a challenge seeing what other see, but I'll try again. Looking at the full-rez images, the LR version beats the jpg for clarity and detail by a smidge.

Post Thanks / Like

For the record: Clarity was even set to zero :-)
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like

I'm one of possibly many out there, waiting/hanging out for this new RAW ability in LR. I have LR3.6, and wasn't looking forward to being railroaded into an upgrade. Still aren't.
    With Uwe's examples, they look similar to me, and this is fine, except, the RAW will be a significantly bigger file surely, where the jpeg will be about 5mb. Is this correct?
    And to be honest, for "average" sized prints, does it really matter? I'm asking as I genuinely don't know, I'm not looking to start a war, so please let me know what the main advantages are.
    Gary

Post Thanks / Like

>the RAW will be a significantly bigger file surely, where the jpeg will be about 5mb

I think comparing to JPEG does not really make sense because JPEG is a lossy format.

Fuji RAF: 26MB (because Fuji insists for years not to use any good lossless compression).
    Converted to DNG: 15.8 (using lossless compression)
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Smoking Camera View Post
    My goodness. This is quite a difference in details. Thanks for sharing these Carl.
    RPP has been a favorite of mine...but I am not into HDR nor do I prefer greatly manipulated files....although I love LR4.1 for most conversions...export to PS CS6 to edit and print.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

What gets me is that there is no mention of what settings have been used. Are we to assume that they are both the 'best' that could be done and we don't need to know if any attempt was made? There is a clear tonality difference for a start and that will have an impact too.

On the other hand, those that are saying that LR is OK aren't exactly jumping up and down with excitement!

With the X100, use of RAW for me was a no-go in LR because it didn't handle the auto-dr and it was easier with JPEGs. Aperture did handle the auto-dr but I found that in most cases the JPEGs were as good or usually better. So for the first time ever, I defaulted to JPEG. I expected to do the same with the X-Pro 1. The JPEGs are very good. My only issue has been noticing this very 'smearing' effect in the JPEGs people are seeing in LR! Mostly distant shrubbery and brickwork lacking detail.

More comparisons to do but it may just be that for most cases the JPEGs will be well good enough.

Still it's great that we can at last now view and catalog the RAWs in LR.

Lee

Post Thanks / Like

>On the other hand, those that are saying that LR is OK aren't exactly jumping up and down with excitement!

You nailed it. The XP1 JPEGs can be very nice if everything is ok. But the raws give you more latitude.

>What gets me is that there is no mention of what settings have been used.

Right. We have to explore LR for best settings first to know the answer.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Uwe, it may be coincidence, but all the mushiness I see in my raw files is in the green areas, this could be because that it where most of the fine detail is anyway, in bushes, trees etc, but perhaps not. Close up shots don't have the same amount of detail at every scale as distant landscapes do. Sorry I am repeating myself. Never thought I would turn into a pixel peeper! Regarding settings for LR4, I am a novice as I normally use Aperture, so am willing to learn.
    David Anderson

Post Thanks / Like

And since I've asked a few questions myself, an update of sorts too.
    I downloaded the DNG convertor, and am able to "convert" the Fuji RAW images to the DNG, and then open the DNG's in LR3, so am happy now. I'll hold off the mandatory LR upgrade for a while I think.
    Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Uwe, it may be coincidence, but all the mushiness I see in my raw files is in the green areas, this could be because that it where most of the fine detail is anyway, in bushes, trees etc, but perhaps not. Close up shots don't have the same amount of detail at every scale as distant landscapes do. Sorry I am repeating myself. Never thought I would turn into a pixel peeper! Regarding settings for LR4, I am a novice as I normally use Aperture, so am willing to learn.
    David

Try the following and see how you get on. All changes in the Develop module:

Increase Clarity to 5-10.

In the Tone Curve panel, change the Point Curve to Medium Contrast.

In the Detail panel increase sharpening to about 40. Increase detail to about 45-50.

Possible reduce exposure a little too.

Comparing my pics with OOC JPEG in Provia mode I can easily better it. I have not yet systematically compared with RPP or Silkypix.

Lee