The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Fuji X-E1 for Photokina?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Seriously considering dropping the NEX and Micro 4/3 cameras and moving to the Fuji X system. It seems like they are able to do in less than a year what Sony hasn't done in nearly 3 years with the NEX system - provide a good base of native lenses. They both have M-mount adapters as well. Gonna wait until after Photokina though to see what Leica comes up with too.
Same here, although only dropping the m43 as I do no longer own the NEX. Plus for m43 it took over 3 years to still have no RF like looking model with built in EVF - neither Pana nor Oly! Seems that Fuji is really making lot of pressure to gain market share, which is great for this system.

And if it comes to sensor development, I am pretty sure we will sooner see a 24MP high ISO capable XTRANS sensor from Fuji than a similar sensor from any m43.

Will also wait till after PK2012.

iiiNelson

Same here, although only dropping the m43 as I do no longer own the NEX. Plus for m43 it took over 3 years to still have no RF like looking model with built in EVF - neither Pana nor Oly! Seems that Fuji is really making lot of pressure to gain market share, which is great for this system.

And if it comes to sensor development, I am pretty sure we will sooner see a 24MP high ISO capable XTRANS sensor from Fuji than a similar sensor from any m43.

Will also wait till after PK2012.
Well I'm holding onto my G1 probably. Worst case it can be IR converted. I've always liked the camera for the way it functioned. It was a huge reason I took to the A77 (and other SLT's for that matter.) It's like a large weather resistant G1. I got rid of my other Micro 4/3 bodies (GF1/G2) once I bought my first M9. I'm not so much looking solely at buying a camera with the aesthetics of a rangefinder as I own a rangefinder. Don't get me wrong. I like the body to look nice but not at the expense of function. I'd ideally like a smallish camera that can take M lenses but also have good quality native lenses with autofocus for times I don't want to lug around my A77.

I held on to the NEX for the low light features but looking through the Fuji threads I don't think that I would be missing anything in image quality and I will still be able to adapt M-mount lenses. The NEX is a great "digital back" for better lenses but there are more bodies than lenses. That should not be the case.

I also like the 16MP size. It's about ideal for APS-C sensors. I rarely have a need for 24MP. The 18.5 of the M9 is more than enough for me honestly. If Sony would've made the A5x in a weather resistant body or if Pentax had a larger dealer network I probable would've gone that route instead of the A77.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I cracked and pre-ordered a black X-E1 kit and 14mm today. No idea about delivery timescales but Fuji move faster than Leica so hopefully it won't be too long.

etrigan63

I downloaded some sample images from the Fuji press site. Here they are for your enjoyment:

DSCF8543 by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

DSCF9994 by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

DSCF2088 by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

DSCF2086 by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

DSCF2085 by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

DSCF2084 by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

DSCF2081 by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

DSCF2080 by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

DSCF2078 by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

DSCF2079 by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

DSCF2076 by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

DSCF2075 by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

I like the bokeh shots and the light/shadow image seem to have excellent DR characteristics.

[UPDATE] I have placed myself on Monza's pre-order list as well.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>It's not a legitimate camera until there's been at least one cat portrait

Nice cat == nice camera

V

Vivek

I like the bokeh shots and the light/shadow image seem to have excellent DR characteristics.
If you see images from that area (any cam) they are quite similar. It is the light. At least, I can not draw any conclusions on the DR based on these images.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Found this buy tidbit that not sure was brought up . Looks like a nice cam to have.

Another*interesting*development is that if you buy the X-E1 kit (with the 18-55 lens), you will save $300 compared to if you buy camera and the lens separately*(see all pre-order options here). Those are exactly the same savings as the recently announced combo offer on the X-Pro1 + lens purchases.

etrigan63

Found this buy tidbit that not sure was brought up . Looks like a nice cam to have.

Another*interesting*development is that if you buy the X-E1 kit (with the 18-55 lens), you will save $300 compared to if you buy camera and the lens separately*(see all pre-order options here). Those are exactly the same savings as the recently announced combo offer on the X-Pro1 + lens purchases.
Guy do you have a link for the pre-order options? You indicated going somewhere but no link was provided.

If you see images from that area (any cam) they are quite similar. It is the light. At least, I can not draw any conclusions on the DR based on these images.
On the basis of what has been announced the file should be the same as the one from the X1-Pro, same pro's and same con's (raw conversion).

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
The big guns too Adorama, B&H and such also. Robert maybe best sometimes as the smaller shops sometimes get these pre-orders faster.

Lloyd

The hotshoe adds to the looks but I have not heard any XPRO1 users mounting a flash on their camera.

Perhaps, it is an integral part of the retro looks.
I have used a flash several times.
I have as well, and have used the camera in the studio with big strobes with excellent results. Getting the camera to fire my pocket wizards, and the Elinchrom Skyport was a trick, however. I couldn't use the regular menu to tell the camera to fire flash, but when I did so via the Quick menu (which is actually faster to do), it worked great.

V

Vivek

On the basis of what has been announced the file should be the same as the one from the X1-Pro, same pro's and same con's (raw conversion).
Looks like it.

Olympus/Panasonic missed the boat in making something like this.

Yes,
Looks excellent. I've pre-ordered the silver kit version. Give a substantial discount over the lens only and makes a second body relatively inexpensive.
Hi, Terry... good to see you back and posting. I'm looking forward to the new firmware update for the x-Pro1... love using that camera.

Terry

Hi, Terry... good to see you back and posting. I'm looking forward to the new firmware update for the x-Pro1... love using that camera.
Thanks Jim,
Yeah that firmware update is going to be really interesting. I want the zoom lens and the kit price certainly makes that second body pretty irresistible. A lot of camera for that price.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
The big guns too Adorama, B&H and such also. Robert maybe best sometimes as the smaller shops sometimes get these pre-orders faster.
My local dealer ProPhoto Supply in Portland is awesome. I pre-ordered my kit and 14mm yesterday. They've always delivered on this gear and all my Nikon stuff also.